Class of January 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 01-12-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Good morning all.
Day 16
One day at a time.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Starting day 6 and feeling decent, though sleep hasn't been too good the last few nights so I'm feeling a little tired and irritable. Based on past experience I know if I push through it though it will probably get better within a week or so, and I'm going to try to force myself to sleep in at least one day this weekend (it can be kinda hard in the morning when I wake up and the wheels in my head start spinning).

site1Q84 - Good question about the plan. I'm mostly trying to use mindfulness to monitor my mood and prevent getting myself wound up whenever I notice it happening, and with my mood issues it happens a lot (and now going through withdraw, even moreso). I kind of think of it as like I have a potential reservoir of emotional tension in my body. As long as I keep that reservoir low, like under 20% filled I probably won't approach the point where I have cravings. If I'm not careful though it'll get filled without me even realizing whats going on, and by the time I start to feel triggered to use, its already like 95% full and I'm already way in the danger zone. So staying as far away from that zone as I can, by keeping myself as relaxed as I can long before I even start to feel triggered, is my main focus. It can be a little hard because I've also come to realize I might be addicted to my own volatile emotions, so actively avoiding behaviors which wind me up is a big part of it.

Ialso have avoidant issues (among others), so simple things like using the phone to call someone can be very difficult, and letting myself be vulnerable by posting when I'm in trouble is also difficult, but I'm going to try to do that if I'm having trouble. So far things have been pretty good this week - not much in the way of real cravings beyond the first day.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 01-12-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Day 2 here. Glad to be back.

Sunflowerlife, I fell off too a few days ago and just came back yesterday. I understand the struggle. I think I've finally come to some acceptance that Im an alcoholic and cant drink. I hope you can do the same. Glad youre back.

Good to be back and wake up without a hangover. Have a good day everyone.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:58 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone!

Busy morning for me, but wanted to stop by and say hello and catch up. Welcome back Sunflower! Glad you decided to join us.

Happy to see lots of people doing well and checking in. Day 3 for me, and thankfully this whole quitting smoking thing has my mind off of quitting drinking lol
Old 01-12-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Recovering

Just finished work a bit early here in the UK. Boy, I would like a beer. I won't, but I'm really missing it now )- :
Old 01-12-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hello all
Day one, again. No rational excuse.
Jonathan
Old 01-12-2017, 08:58 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zufrieden View Post
Hello all
Day one, again. No rational excuse.
Jonathan
None needed. Welcome back!
Old 01-12-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Day 1 again sorry but posting here for support ☺
Old 01-12-2017, 09:10 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinky1 View Post
Day 1 again sorry but posting here for support ☺
You don't have to apologize to us! glad to see you back
Old 01-12-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Recovering

Those back to day 1 - well done for coming back here. That took me nearly a year to do.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Made my second meeting today. It's hard getting door to door during my lunchhour but they said it was okay for me to step out early. Grateful
Old 01-12-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hello all. Checking in day 3 without booze AND cigarettes! Whaaaaat. I've been chewing some nicotine gum here and there, seems to work alright.

Went to hot yoga this am, cleaned my apartment and got rid of a bunch of clothes I never wear. Went to the place I work to grab some lunch and visit coworkers, now I'm at the library. I KNOW I should really go to an aa meeting tonight. I need to. Why am I so hesitant??? They're all scheduled so much later in the day, for people with normal work schedules haha.... gonna go grab a coffee and chill with my books for a bit. Try to convince myself to get my butt to a meeting.

I just wanted to say I'm greatful for everyone's posts here
Old 01-12-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Back on my tablet so only short (if any) posts. Thank goodness I hear you say.
Peace, Love and Strength. Friends
Old 01-12-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Friday the 13th and Day 10 beginning for me.

Friday is a huge trigger day for me, so I need to stay on guard. I'm looking forward to another clear headed day at work.

Wishing everyone peace and at least, moments of joy, today!
Old 01-12-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Back to day 1. Was originally in the August class. New year and a fresh start!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:18 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

hi jan class. Lots of good post here.

Best part of quitting on new years is no need to count. Day 12. Easy pease. I used to like looking on the sober counter on my phone. Every morning race down and check. Like some magical number would be waiting for me. Now i just look at the calendar or my watch. Thats how many days.

I have a problem. Well I have a bunch of problems... lol.... but this one problem i want to share with you. And its, I've told myself i am not drinking for January. Which isn't going to help me Feb. 1st. What I am hoping is all of the positive things that i will learn in January will keep me on track and ill just keep rolling in February.

Im having a problem with the finality of saying im done for life. Even though i really should be done for life. Because im no good on the sauce. So im all happy that i make it each day. And im thinking the end of January is around the corner. But im really lying to myself.

I cant believe i even typed that out to you. But there it is.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Thanks for your honesty WhiskeyBent.
That strategy has got you this far, so keep going with this for now.

By the time February comes around you will be so utterly convinced that you, WANT to be sober EVERY day for EVER and that the mere thought of putting any more of that vile poison anywhere near your lips fills you with such revulsion that it will be impossible for you to contemplate drinking EVER again.

That's certainly the way I now feel and I will do everything in my power to help ALL my classmates to feel the same.

So fecking (not a swearword Dee!) sick of an active addict's miserable existence.

I REALLY want and deserve to live again.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Day 1s! You have more guts than I - in the past if I relapsed I just ghosted off the site for a couple of months before I came back. There should be a way to get credit for sobriety - maybe say you're on Day 12 minus 1.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Yes, welcome all joiners and rejoiners. I fell off the face of sober recovery when I relapsed as well, so you guys definitely have the fighting spirit!

@whiskeybent have you looked into AVRT? I ask because it reminds me of the crash course, where they say that the beast or Addictive Voice will be satisfied if you tell it, hey we're not drinking now but we'll drink in a month (for example). So it'll shut up and sit still until that date. I can't remember the ins and outs but you might wanna look (or relook) into it since it's actually working for you right now, might help you extend that delayed gratification date. I think the course actually tells you to delay it until like the year 3010 or something lol.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Recovering

Feeling so much more relaxed and calm than earlier. And that's without the drink :-)

In fact I think I'm feeling the best I have felt for a long time (months), so I'm going to enjoy it, as I know the roller-coaster ride will carry on for some time yet.