Notices

Class of December 2016 Part 3

Old 02-11-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 301 (permalink)  

RockyMTNrider was here back on 20th Feb. .. hope he's OK. ...
Old 02-11-2017, 02:42 PM
  # 302 (permalink)  

I just wanted to get us all together as a group for a.little cohesion... I feel.we maybe loosing our way here a bit as the days roll.on and I want to stay vigilant, u guys have helped me so much I want to look after u all!! Happy weekend x
Old 02-11-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Great post enfin. I hope the folks who haven't checked in for a while let us know how they are doing soon. I am very proud to be a member of this class and consider all of you my friends. We may be from different parts of the world, are differing ages, and in 'normal life' would probably never come into contact with each other. But we have one massive thing in common. We want to change our lives for the better by overcoming something that was destroying our lives. Together we are stronger

Anyhoo.... A busy Saturday visiting various family members for me. It's nice to be home now and having some me time The weather here is so wet and cold at the moment, so it's looking like tomorrow will be a lazy day, which is fine by me!
Old 02-11-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 304 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I am going to make it a point to check in with you, Class.
Even if just to say 'hi' and let you know that I am still here. I think I owe you guys that much for being there for me. Love you, guys! CR
Old 02-11-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

It seems we've lost many Decemberites since the beginning...
Many are called, but few are chosen - Matthew 22:14

RockyMTNrider, Optimist4ever, Munchkin, CuteNGayYay...where are they?
We must learn to mourn and stay sober.

Have a good night everybody, we can make it

[Edit] Thanks ChloeRose, you're sweet!
Old 02-11-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Thanks for the smile you just gave me, Koala!
♡CR
Old 02-12-2017, 02:05 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Hi all...had to spend a few days at my out of state friends house so I could make sure I was at court on time between snow storms on Friday. I have so much to do at my house to get ready for new baby but I had to be in court to show that I was willing to take older grandchild. He is officially in state custody. I now have to jump through the hoops of 2 states to see if I qualify. Although I recently had custody, that was through a different court, the state has different standards of approval. I fear my husband & I might not qualify due to our past history. The past can really haunt you.....trying not to worry but I hate thinking how our past decisions are affecting my grandchild's future today.

Good news is new baby is doing well & not experiencing withdrawal symptoms. He is a little peanut & will be in the NICU for a few more weeks. Not sure what is up with my daughter - her behavior suggests current drug use. Sperm donor is now in jail, his enabling mother doesn't want to see baby until "he fills out". I live 80 miles away & travel to see him. They live 3 miles away. No visits. I'm beyond frustrated with all of them.

More snow coming. I have plenty to do here to keep me busy. Trying hard not to overthink things. No real thoughts of drinking...but enormous regret/guilt for past drinking. I know there is nothing I can do about the past but now that it could be used against me...well it's so hard not to think about it.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:06 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

I give you my thoughts and support across the waves Peb. PJ
Old 02-12-2017, 02:59 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

I had wondered where some had gone too, hope everyone is ok if they are reading at all.

CR my partner and I don't talk about it much either. Did the first time I told her and I told her how I went to AA in the past and now I find the majority of my support online but that's about it. I'll be sitting on my tablet and she'll ask what I'm doing, I'll tell her I'm on a recovery site and nothing else is asked.

Every now and then she mentions how not drinking doesn't bother her (she's off it atm due to a unrelated to alcohol health concern), inwardly I think to myself how she doesn't get it at all. Not drinking doesn't annoy me most of the time and I'm not hanging on by my fingernails but I feel exasperated sometimes how easy other people find it and don't really like being reminded of that. I say nothing but can't help that little pang of envy or the 'lucky you' thought that goes through my head. Still, my situation is my fault and I take full responsibilty for it so I keep my mouth zipped.

I'm so pleased to hear the baby isn't going through withdrawals Pebbles. My own first child was in NICU then SCBU for a month due to premature birth amongst other issues, it's heartbreaking but the best place for them. I hope everything works out ok for you xx

7 weeks today. Bit of a tough day yesterday, I struggle ocassionally with health anxiety and it flared up but knew drinking while it would push it to the background for a while, would visit me tenfold and bring its friends today. Feeling much calmer today
Old 02-12-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Good Morning, Class! I hope everyone has a great Sunday!
Old 02-12-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Hi December peeps!

Still plugging away here at . . . 62 days? I was sober almost the entire calendar year of 2014 but I'm not sure I've had 62 days since then. I still have fleeting urges that aren't too hard to dismiss or fight off, but I also often still have that feeling that I'm going to give in at some point. Which is why I need to be here and post here more, but then I don't.

Oh, well, I'm here now, at least.

Pebbles, that is good news about the baby not having withdrawal symptoms. Maybe you can sort of channel all that regret about past drinking into determination to stay sober now.

BBB -- loved your post and comments about all of us being united by our common and critically important goal. I'm still going to daydream about meeting all of you in Jamaica. And yes, I believe a thousand percent that we are stronger together and help each other succeed.

Oh, here's the bullet I dodged Friday. Took my car in for some maintenance this past October. It was printed on my receipt that to pass state inspection at the end of the month, I needed a new serpentine belt, either one or both rear brake calipers, new headlights (car is more than 10 years old and headlights are quite fogged over at this point), and that there was slight play in a tie rod. Whatever the hell a tie rod is.

So the brake caliper thing gave me pause because I was fairly certain both of those had been replaced about a year ago. AND, when I picked the car up the brakes felt mushy. They hadn't felt mushy before. Some days later I was told that when they added brake fluid, some air might've gotten into the line. Oh, okay. But as time goes on, with the brake performance and what I later confirm about having indeed replaced BOTH brake calipers a year ago, I still can't shake the feeling that they actually did something to my brakes.

So after finally getting a ticket for an expired sticker on Jan. 28th, I decide to take the car to a different mechanic -- the one my parents used and I used when I was living with them. And I tell this mechanic the story about the brakes and prepare myself to get screwed, basically. When they call later that day, it's to tell me that everything the other garage said needed to be replaced, with the exception of the tie rod, looks fine and does NOT need to be replaced. They were able to correct the headlight problem just by cleaning/polishing them instead of replacing them. He also said the canister that holds the brake fluid was bone dry, and speculated that the other place had drained it deliberately, which makes sense to me given everything else.

So it still cost me just over $300, but that was a hell of a lot better than I had feared I'd be paying to make the car pass inspection.

And to bring this all full circle, I'm driving an older car because my wonderful Hyundai Sonata got repoed because I couldn't make the payments after losing my job BECAUSE OF DRINKING.

So I think I just motivated myself for the next several days.

I'm glad John Oliver is back on HBO tonight too.

Thanks for being here, you guys, even when I'm not.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

I am still here and checking in from work. We rotate through 2 weekend shifts every 6 weeks or so and this is my last weekend.

MeSoSober, I absolutely hate dishonest mechanic shops! I am soooo glad that I spent my summers as a young kid working on old trucks with my uncle. Then, as a poor young man I couldn't afford to pay anyone so had to fix my own cars. Vehicles are far more complex now but information is at our fingertips via the World Wide Web that makes research so much easier. I do all of my maintenance and most repairs myself.

Hope a few others come back around. Thanks to all of you, my friends, from around the globe. Thanks for your SUPPORT!
Old 02-12-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitter62 View Post
I do all of my maintenance and most repairs myself.
That's it! Next time I'll just drive to Missouri if I need repair work!

Might still be cheaper than getting screwed by a dishonest garage!
Old 02-12-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Yey! So glad to see you all on here chatting away, was worried we'd fizzled out!!! Day 45 here for me and my hub.... we took kids to fun pool, at massive lunch, shopped for lego, made lego, ate pizza, watched the asterix movie and that's it!!! No time wasted.on drinking or money wasted on beer! Last time we went to that pool we.stopped for a few.pints.on the way home...think I managed 4... and someone knocked the wingmirror off the car! So all round cheaper and healthier this time...and wasn't wishing the kids away so I could drink either....

Another week at work before half term....busy busy and major drinking events coming up. .. after parents eve, last day of term and field trip where they give staff free booze. ..that's what broke me last year.. .. I feel in a better place this year so maybe, no definitely can resist. I have a plan. .... knitting! And taking my own teabags!!!!

Me so sober... car story sounds horrific. ..poor you. ..
Pebbles... you being so strong, glad baby is ok and hope u get things sorted for the other one soon too xxx
Nice to see u chloe and koala... much love
Quitter, glad u here too and thanks for your support...
Capricallia, hope your anxiety stays put... mindfulness helps me in that. ..
PhoenixJ glad u here with us to, thank you x
Night night... I just read sleeping more than 7 hours helps u be thin... off I go to sleep myself to be less of a lard arse!! Mwha to u all!!!
Old 02-12-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Hello enfin, tell me...just how deep is your part of England?
Old 02-13-2017, 01:33 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Pretty rural! Or did u mean deep as in snow??? We had a few inches over the weekend but all gone now. ...
In terms of deepness. ..there's more sheep than people near us. ..the nearest macdonalds is 20 miles away... I can see fields for miles and miles and miles around. There's plenty you of people too in villages and whatnot. .. mostly rural folk and farmers...small town is 5 miles away, about 10 thousand people.... so not as rural as some places in the world , but the UK is quite small so we dont have that vastness so much....
Old 02-13-2017, 02:16 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

We do. BUT I cannot do the 'wide and sweeping plains' bit- as I live in a very large country town, Adelaide. Was raised in small country towns (about 1000- 2000 people). Pockets of people with huge amounts of no people in between.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:21 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Cars appear to be total money boxes MeSo, at least that is 300 spent on something worthwhile than chucking it down the toilet. I honestly couldn't afford a car right one. Luckily enough I live in the burbs of a town so close enough to everything. City is a quick 25 minutes by train.

Well done on 45 days enfin, very productive fun day you had. Did you need to take out a second mortgage for that lego ? I have a pool day planned for the kids on Wednesday, trying to keep them occupied (and off screens) during half term. Anxiety has settled down again, reminded myself of the CBT I did years ago and am doing Headspace meditation every day which appears to help. Knitting and teabags sounds like a great plan! Think of how clear headed and refreshed you will feel the next day too.

Glad you're still with us Quitter. Respect at your practical abilities to fix things.

Day 50 today, nice round number. Have to go and get the passport photos taken today, least I'll look a good sight better in it than I did 8weeks ago, even though they always make you look like death. I have dual nationality (Irish and British) so trying to decide if I should send off for one (toss a coin) or both
Old 02-13-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Good Morning, Class! Hope everone has a great Monday! ♡CR
Old 02-13-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Lego in special in supermarket! !! It was their saved up.pocket money...plus a little extra...it's soooooooooooooooooo expensive !!!