Notices

On My Way # 5

Old 09-21-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Exercise for the day has been pushups (50) and 4 minutes of planks. Functional exercise going forward is emptying our basement pantry.

My guests are arriving at 6:30 and I'll be in the kitchen shortly to start cooking. The finalized menu, which keeps an eye on tradition is:

Appys

Hummus and crackers

Second and third courses

Matzo ball soup
Red wine braised brisket
Baked chicken thighs
Potato kugel
Carrot Tzimmes

Desserts

Red and green grapes
Birthday cake for one of our guests
Whatever our guests bring

Beverages

Water
Seltzer
Wine
Coffee
Tea
Whatever else our guests want
Old 09-22-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

A busy and late night yesterday and an early morning lead to a less than fully energetic day today. IOW, I'm dragging, but it was a nice time last night. Dinner went well and later today I'll start gearing up for tomorrow's party. Exercise has been minimal; I walked into town to do some errands and get my hair cut.

Dinner tonight will be either leftovers from last night or we'll be going out.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
I've spent most of the day so far waiting for the delivery of the counter tops and they just came. I am not a fan of Home Depot and the experience gave me one more reason to solidify my position. The delivery window given to me yesterday for today was 6 AM to 8 PM, with an assurance that I could track my delivery today and also that I would be given a phone call "well in advance" of the actual delivery. Tracking online was not possible beyond "Your order is being processed." and all I got from speaking with four people at the store was that they could only give me the name of the sub contractor making the delivery, but had no phone number and that the company did not respond to consumer inquires. A message left with the store manager has not yet been returned. Oh yes, that phone call well in advance of delivery was made when the truck was parked in front of my house. Clearly there are definitional differences in the term.

Exercise today is going to be much like yesterday, walking, pushups, and planks. I'll be moving some iron tomorrow.

My wife and I have no social plans tonight; dinner is going to be something involving chicken breasts.
Do you like the countertops?????
Old 09-22-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Do you like the countertops?????
Yes, I like the counter tops. More importantly so does Ms. Gonnachange. :-) Thanks for asking.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

The dirty deed is done. After about 35 years of cooking for guests I'm ordering in for the first time for tomorrow's book club meeting. My kitchen is marginally useful and I'll be able to cook for me and my wife tonight, but I'd be severely compromised trying to cook for eight people tomorrow. The menu tonight is pan seared shrimp with Old Bay Seasoning and a salad. Quick and not a lot of pots/pans/utensils needed.

I've done 75 pushups in 3 sets of 25 with a one minute rest; the last set was a struggle and I needed some additional time to get off the floor. I also did about 5 minutes of planks. As for the aforementioned stretching, that probably won't happen.
Good decision, GC.

And everyone needs a paper plastic night now and then
Old 09-22-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Yes, I like the counter tops. More importantly so does Ms. Gonnachange. :-) Thanks for asking.
Glad to hear to hear that you liked them? They are a large expense that you live with for a long time!!!

What did you select - granite, Quartz?

We evacuated for Irma; returned home mid-week.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

I'm in no manner comparing my situation with what's going on in Texas and the southeast, but the house is in disarray. With reason and purpose, but normality is not a word I would use to describe the situation. Which it's why it's a perfect time to host a dinner party for my book club on Friday, have out of town friends visit on Monday, have my wifey relatives from across the pond stay with us starting next Wednesday, host a holiday dinner party the next day for about ten people, and next weekend have a family party with about 30 attendees. As the saying goes, timing is everything.

I was at the gym this morning at 6 for a strength and stamina class. Waking up early enough to fuel my body and get somewhat limber isn't much fun, but it's only one day a week and I really do like getting so much done early in the day.

I still have an unusable kitchen and I don't want to order in again so I'm making burgers and a salad for dinner tonight. I've put together a menu for Friday's book club meeting as well as exploring some take out options in case I won't be able to cook.
You should have seen the condition of our home when we evacuated! All floor coverings were rolled and placed on beds. All furniture was elevated about 6". All outdoor furniture was moved inside. Buffets were emptied prior to lifting so dishes, linens, etc. we're on countertops . .

It was a mess!!!!
Old 09-22-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Good decision, GC.

And everyone needs a paper plastic night now and then
SL, we weathered the storm of not having a kitchen although there will be work in the house for at least another week. The reality is that the projects will only be a few weeks in total, but they're happening while we have an unusual amount of entertaining going on with no latitude to reschedule the gatherings and if we didn't start the work when we did it would have been delayed for a while. IOW, a bad confluence of disparate events, but while not ignoring the added stress of the situation I know we'll be fine in the end.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

You should have seen the condition of our home when we evacuated! All floor coverings were rolled and placed on beds. All furniture was elevated about 6". All outdoor furniture was moved inside. Buffets were emptied prior to lifting so dishes, linens, etc. we're on countertops . .

It was a mess!!!!
What we're going through is NOTHING compared to what you experienced.

Regarding the counter tops, Ms. GC wanted to go with a laminate, so we did. I pick my spots, especially when I don't have a strong opinion.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:40 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Regarding the counter tops, Ms. GC wanted to go with a laminate, so we did. I pick my spots, especially when I don't have a strong opinion.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

We were extremely, extremely fortunate.

No damage whatsoever.

Several miles away, that was not the case.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

I'm glad your experience was damage free. Scary nonetheless.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:42 AM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Saturday and Sunday mornings found me at the gym. Saturday afternoon we hosted a party. Sunday afternoon was fairly quiet.

Workout wise the week is off to a tough start as I really struggled this morning. I got through it, but I had to take a few extra minutes of rest throughout. After warm ups I did 3 rounds of:

Ball planks
Heavy ropes
Ball slams
Bosu ball push ups with knee thrursts
Incline sit ups
Ab wheel rollouts

Dinner plans are undecided; there isn't enough left over for another dinner so I'm going to have to cook.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Have you tried or had fish tacos lately?

A fleshier fish works best; manga slas makes a fabulous topping.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Have you tried or had fish tacos lately?

A fleshier fish works best; manga slas makes a fabulous topping.
No, not lately. Given the conditions today around here that would have been a nice choice for dinner, but I'm not going to the market now.

I assume you meant to type mango salsa. I've used a version for roasted pork tenderloin, but not for fish tacos and can see how it would marry well with a fleshy white fish.

Dinner plans are still up in the air; I have little initiative so I'm thinking of using up the rest of the leftovers and supplementing them with something easy because as I wrote before I don't have enough for a full dinner.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

No, not lately. Given the conditions today around here that would have been a nice choice for dinner, but I'm not going to the market now.

I assume you meant to type mango salsa. I've used a version for roasted pork tenderloin, but not for fish tacos and can see how it would marry well with a fleshy white fish.

Dinner plans are still up in the air; I have little initiative so I'm thinking of using up the rest of the leftovers and supplementing them with something easy because as I wrote before I don't have enough for a full dinner.
Yes, mango!!!!!!!! It is delightful in fish tacos.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Yes, mango!!!!!!!! It is delightful in fish tacos.
I'll keep it in mind.

Today

Exercise for the day is going to be the walk I did to meet a friend for breakfast, emptying a book case, and then moving said book case and some other furniture.

The scope of our home improvement projects is getting larger as we found mold in the basement. That is presently being eradicated, but the question of how the moisture got there remains and the process of determining that will start tomorrow. Obviously more time and more $$, but an issue that needs to be addressed.

We're going to my MIL's house for dinner tonight so no cooking for me.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 498 (permalink)  

I'll keep it in mind.

Today

Exercise for the day is going to be the walk I did to meet a friend for breakfast, emptying a book case, and then moving said book case and some other furniture.

The scope of our home improvement projects is getting larger as we found mold in the basement. That is presently being eradicated, but the question of how the moisture got there remains and the process of determining that will start tomorrow. Obviously more time and more $$, but an issue that needs to be addressed.

We're going to my MIL's house for dinner tonight so no cooking for me.
Oh no - dreaded mold.

I hope that the source is easily and inexpensively discovered and corrected.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 499 (permalink)  

Oh no - dreaded mold.

I hope that the source is easily and inexpensively discovered and corrected.
Thanks SL. Obviously me too.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 500 (permalink)  

I was at the gym by 6 for a more stamina oriented than usual workout. That I was doing it on little sleep did not help matters.

At 8:30 this morning I had 2 contractors in the house doing their thing, a plumber addressing a leak in my second floor bathroom sink, and my sprinkler person taking care of some issues I was having with the system. A full house indeed!

Dinner tonight is going to be chicken stir fry.