Notices

On My Way # 5

Old 07-19-2017, 10:13 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Today is a planned rest day.

Dinner tonight is going to be shrimp salad served with a garden salad.
Rest and enjoy, GC.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Was at the gym for an extended session with my trainer. After warm ups we did 3 rounds of:

Db goblet squats
Kb contra lateral step ups
Kb reverse lunges
Calf raises
Hip thrusters

We then moved on to 3 rounds of:

Ball planks
Turkish get ups
Bicycles
Leg raises
Sit ups
Kb Russian twists

I know I'm forgetting at least one exercise for each circuit.

We're going out for a light dinner tonight before seeing a concert. The restaurant will be a family owned Mediterranean bistro that has a great combination of fine food and portions at a very moderate price.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Lots of fun last night with my wife, but we wound up staying up late and are both dragging this AM. The concert ended around 11 and we were home by about 11:20 so that wasn't too bad, but a few minutes before we walked in the door so did our son and we chatted with him for a while and just as that was winding down our daughter came home and the process was repeated which was when our dog, who was alone for hours last night, decided that it was play time.

It's 80F and humid on its way to 94F, but I plan to run/walk in a little while.

I have a book club meeting tonight so I won't be cooking.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Lots of fun last night with my wife, but we wound up staying up late and are both dragging this AM. The concert ended around 11 and we were home by about 11:20 so that wasn't too bad, but a few minutes before we walked in the door so did our son and we chatted with him for a while and just as that was winding down our daughter came home and the process was repeated which was when our dog, who was alone for hours last night, decided that it was play time.

It's 80F and humid on its way to 94F, but I plan to run/walk in a little while.

I have a book club meeting tonight so I won't be cooking.
Sounds like lots of fun, indeed!!!!!!!

What book are you reading, GC?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Surely a fine time last night albeit too late; it was for good reasons though so all is fine. Tonight should be an earlier evening so I should be okay when I hit the gym at 9 tomorrow.

The book we will be discussing tonight isThe Wright Brothers by David McCullough. I enjoyed it, learned a lot and not only am I sure that the book will be well received by the group, but that it will generate good conversation.

I'm next in the rotation and have chosen Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance. I have a friend who read it and liked it and not only does it get good online reviews on a number of sites it should also be a good book to discuss. I'll let you know in about six weeks. :-)
Old 07-22-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Solid workout this morning and now we're off to an Irish festival.

Looks like they'll be no cooking for tonight.

Have a great day!
Old 07-23-2017, 09:31 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Yesterday wasn't the healthiest eating day, but coming on the heels of Friday's salt laden dinner in combination with decent portion control I managed to lose some of my bloat. Hopefully that will continue today.

I was at the gym this AM for a class that focused on core exercises with a smattering of high intensity cardio and upper body stuff. Presently my legs are shot and I'm sure I have some core soreness coming my way.

My plan for dinner tonight is burgers stuffed with mozzarella and basil and a side of corn on the cob. That may change if we're in the midst of a thunderstorm later; my grills are partially covered, but I don't necessarily feel like standing out there in the rain and will go to Plan B which is to probably pan fry them.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

I ran this morning. Yay!

Dinner tonight is going to be salmon with a herb vinaigrette using herbs from our garden and a cucumber salad using cukes from our garden.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

My only exercise yesterday was to walk 1.5 miles round trip to meet a friend for breakfast. After that the entire day revolved around a funeral and related events. We literally left the house at 10 AM and did not walk through our front door until 7:30 PM. Aside from the 2 hour drive home the hours after the burial were spent at a restaurant having a late lunch/early dinner with the grieving family.

I'm going to go on a short run around lunch time. There will be no cooking tonight because we're going to pay our respects to the deceased's family at the home of one of his daughters and we've already been told they ordered food so we should come hungry.

Tomorrow should be more normalized.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

I had a terrible run yesterday, but I went out this morning with some trepidation and the result was not as bad. Not good, but better. As each day passes it becomes more apparent that my ability to run this year's NYC Marathon is wishful thinking. IOW, a fantasy. I've run many marathons, including this one, and I know what it takes for me to be ready and I'm not even close to where I need to be. Yes, a first world problem, but one that is important to me.

Once again I didn't cook last night; the women of the family were out and me and my son had reheated leftovers. Tonight is going to be similar with the difference being that there are no more leftovers so I will find myself in the kitchen. That's also where I'll be tomorrow afternoon when I'm doing the prep work for the party we're hosting on Sunday for 32 people.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

The day got started with a good gym workout. Three circuits of three exercises each with ten seconds between each exercise. More stamina than strength.

A good chunk of the rest of the day is going to be devoted to prepping for tomorrow's party. We have no social plans tonight.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Exercise for the day was party prep. Our guests will be here in about 40 minutes.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

The party was a big success and a lot of fun, but my wife and I are moving a tad slow today. That didn't stop me from going to the gym where, after some warm ups, I did three rounds of:

15 Kb goblet squats
12 Kb Romanian deadlifts
12 Bb incline bench presses
12 Bb incline skull crushers
15 Lat pulldowns
15 Pushups
12 Bb bicep curls

Dinner tonight is going to be leftovers.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  

I was going to run today but.......for some reason my feet are really swollen and a little bit achy. This happened a couple of years ago and when I spoke with my GP she told me it sometimes is a sign of an impending cardiac event (euphemism for heart attack) or blood clots. I was tested for both with very positive results so I'm not freaking out at the moment, but I've decided to not run and just take it easy today.

Dinner is going to be repurposing some of the leftover smoked chicken and flank steak into tacos, a suggestion by my daughter.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:51 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

My exercise plan for the day is to hit the gym in a short while. Upper body stuff is on the menu.

Today is my son's b'day and our family tradition is that the b'day child gets to pick a restaurant to go to. For tonight he's chosen a Japanese steak house.

It's going to be our last meal together as a family for almost 3 weeks because my daughter is leaving tomorrow afternoon to vacation with her boyfriend. His place for a few days, then San Francisco and Maine. Not too shabby.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:02 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Squats, deads, extensions, and calf raises were on the gym menu today.

We're leaving for vacation tomorrow so I have a bunch of packing ahead of me. I'm also cooking dinner for about a dozen people at the house tomorrow night so I have some meal preparation to do. I'm not bringing my bicycle, but will bring running gear and the plan is to do something every day.

I will be online later today, but will not while away.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 437 (permalink)  

We got back from the beach yesterday and it was another fine vacation. I only gained about a pound so I'm calling that victory, especially since I did virtually no exercise. In years past I'd either cycle or run for at least one hour a day plus the occasional beach volleyball game. None of that happened this year because we arrived at our house before we could get in so we decided to walk to a bakery to get some pies for that night's dessert and then go to lunch. Between the bakery and lunch spot I managed to trip on a curb and I sprained and bruised my left ankle, bruised both knees, and the side of my right hand. To my credit, the pie I was carrying was not damaged.

While the above mentioned mishap did keep me sedentary-ish while away, I was at the gym after unpacking at home.

Now that the vacation is over, it's back to weekday reality which means Monday morning fun with my trainer. After some warm ups I did 3 rounds of:

Incline Bb bench presses
Incline Db flyes
Incline Bb skull crushers
Lat pulldowns
Standing Bb curls
Planks
Heavy rope fun
Old 08-16-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

A large part of yesterday was spent traveling and spending time with a very sick friend in the hospital. Once again FU cancer! Not too long after we got home I saw my doctor about my ongoing leg/ankle swelling and she changed my blood pressure medication. Unlike last time she didn't advise me to see a cardiologist or someone who could check for blood clots so that's a positive. Unfortunately, she also strongly advised me to not run until we have the situation stabilized so whatever small odds I had for being prepared for the NYC Marathon have taken a big hit. To end my tale of the visit on a positive note she wanted to do some poking and prodding of my abdomen and she asked me to relax and breath normally. When she started she once again asked me to relax my muscles. I told I was relaxing which was an indication that there's lots of muscle hiding due to the gym work I've been consistently doing.

I'm going to hit the gym for a solo workout this afternoon.

Dinner last night was sautéed clams and tri color couscous. Tonight is going to be salmon and I'll be incorporating some of the herbs my wife is growing along with some fresh lemons. The side is yet to be decided.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

My feet are still swollen, as I expected so I stuck to upper body and ab exercises at the gym.

No cooking tonight because we're going to my MIL's house to see some cousins who are here on vacation.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:00 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

No exercise to speak of today, maybe there will be some light stuff done later.

We're in the process of getting bids for work we want done around the house and one of the firms is coming tonight at 6:00. How this will affect dinner plans, if at all, remains to be seen.