Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 12

Old 01-15-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
Rough morning. My son's mom called me early this morning. He was arrested for DUI, in his case DoC was marijuana. He and I spoke for about thirty minutes this morning, and will obviously be having an ongoing conversation. I am, and will continue to be, beating all Hell out of recovery principles, keeping my balance so that I can help him. He has to get help to deal with his abusing weed. We have to make a plan so that he can pay for a lawyer, pay his mom back for recovering his car for impound, etc.

The only good things I can say are 1) at least he didn't maim or kill anyone, and 2) he is not denying that he needs help. This is a problem, but it is an opportunity as well, and it's my job to help him seize and make the most of it.

lol, I'll settle for the fleshly variety. I'm not certain of the timeframe, but from what I've read online, platelet production in chemotherapy patients averages around three weeks, and I can't imagine my own would be terribly different. While that's happening, I have to quit smoking as well; that too is a prerequisite for the operation.
Thump,

I'm sorry this has happened..hopefully you can get your Son the help he needs and this is his rock bottom..
That's a lot to deal with but it sounds like he is open to accepting some sort of help..
Hang in there xxx
Old 01-15-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I feel like such a boob for not saying CONGRATULATIONS to my Jannies for making it an entire year sober. So proud of all of you and truly, you are my inspiration. Love you all!
Old 01-15-2017, 03:24 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
Rough morning. My son's mom called me early this morning. He was arrested for DUI, in his case DoC was marijuana. He and I spoke for about thirty minutes this morning, and will obviously be having an ongoing conversation. I am, and will continue to be, beating all Hell out of recovery principles, keeping my balance so that I can help him. He has to get help to deal with his abusing weed. We have to make a plan so that he can pay for a lawyer, pay his mom back for recovering his car for impound, etc.

The only good things I can say are 1) at least he didn't maim or kill anyone, and 2) he is not denying that he needs help. This is a problem, but it is an opportunity as well, and it's my job to help him seize and make the most of it.
So sorry Thump- this must be very hard to swallow, no one wants to see their children suffer with addiction or with anything this painful. I know you are strong enough role model now to show him the way and help him any way you can. I am thinking of you and sending my thoughts and love your way...
Old 01-15-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Glad you are back with us again Sunny!
Old 01-15-2017, 11:26 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Thump,

I'm so sorry that happened last night. Hopefully this will be the turning point for your son, and you are an excellent role model in recovery. Does he live close by to you? It's good that he was open to help when you spoke this morning.

I know when I went to my knee replacement class they talked about quitting smoking. There is some test they do prior to surgery to make sure. Thankfully that was never one of my vices. God knows alcohol was bad enough.

Sending lots of love and positive thoughts your way today.

❤️Delilah
Originally Posted by Nic233 View Post
Thump,

I'm sorry this has happened..hopefully you can get your Son the help he needs and this is his rock bottom..
That's a lot to deal with but it sounds like he is open to accepting some sort of help..
Hang in there xxx
Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
So sorry Thump- this must be very hard to swallow, no one wants to see their children suffer with addiction or with anything this painful. I know you are strong enough role model now to show him the way and help him any way you can. I am thinking of you and sending my thoughts and love your way...
Thank you all so much. It's difficult. We'll get this.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:22 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes from me too Thump

D
Old 01-16-2017, 03:13 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Glad you are back with us again Sunny!
Thanks D- I am posting in the 2017 as often as I can but I'll be here too- you will always be my true SR family
Old 01-16-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Good morning Jannies of '16. Welcome back sunny. Make 17 your year.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:41 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

(((Thump))) Thinking of you & your son as you work through this together.
How fortunate for both of you that you are in a strong place with your own recovery and can help guide him.
Prayers & good thoughts also for strong platelets / a good immune system to insure the best possible surgery & recovery. The quit smoking will be tough but you can do it, just like you stopped drinking! You have a full plate right now.....Thank You for sharing with us. Together we are stronger!

Glad you're feeling better Nic honey & good for you giving the pills to your mother.
Hopefully the antibiotics will get rid of the infection altogether. Have you received a final diagnosis? Hugs to you.....xxx

Sunflower - that's great news that you are moving home & will be close to your parents for more support. Please stay with us! It's wonderful to have you here again. You CAN do this!

Hi to all Jannies & Dee -

To be honest I'm struggling a bit. No thoughts of drinking but I'm on high alert against that and will continue to work my strong recovery program each day. This is about sorting through the remainder of my mother's personal belongings and memoirs and deciding what to do with them. They've been tucked away in boxes far too long. Prayers & positive thoughts are welcome.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear of the trouble your son is facing, Thumpa. It must be very difficult parenting from a distance, but it sounds as though you have a good relationship with your son and that he is willing to get the help he needs to get through this. I didn't know that you could get a DUI for MJ, and with it being legalized in CA, maybe the courts will be somewhat lenient? Hopefully, with a good lawyer, he can get the help he needs without stiff penalties.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Bandi, if you are feeling challenged, maybe you can put off going though your Mom's things a little longer? Hang in there and do what you need to do to guard your sanity.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Make this your year, Sunny. You've got a lot of changes coming your way and I hope being closer to your family will lighten your load. A new year and a new start!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Good to hear that you are feeling better Nic, when I had a root canal a few years ago, the pain was horrible. Fortunately, your doctor's plan for treatment worked!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Good Morning Jannies,

Happy Monday! I'm hoping this will be my last week off, and that I can get back to work next Monday. As much as it is nice to take a little break from work, I will be at 75% of my salary after I run out of sick days, and I think that happens starting tomorrow. I need the doctor to clear me since he wrote me out until February 19th. I see him on Friday, so hopefully he will. My plan is to try to do the other knee in June, I finish up this school year around June 12th, and then I am usually back the week after July 4th. My kids are bummed because that means we will not be doing as much as we normally do, and we will not be able to go visit my mom in NY. However, once that knee is done I should be back to 100% by the fall and will be able to travel to see my mom then.

Bandi, I am sure going through your mom's things is very difficult. Odelle's advice is good, if you aren't ready yet, then take a little more time. If you aren't sure maybe try just one box, and see how you feel. Sending you lots of love.❤️

Sunny, I'm glad you are checking in with the 2017 class and with us. This is a special group, and I know I am very grateful to be a part of our little virtual family.

Odelle, great to see you. Hope you are doing well.

Thump, keeping you in my thoughts as you help your son, and also as you quit smoking.

Dee, hope you are doing well.

Have a great day Jannies!!!

❤️Delilah
Old 01-16-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Thank you Odelle & Delilah for the great advice.....
You are both right, there is no hurry since the important tasks were handled in 2015. I like the one box at a time idea as a way of moving forward. I'll also keep a journal nearby and write down thoughts or feelings as they come.
A plan is good! Love & hugs....xxxx
Old 01-16-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((Bandi)))

I know thats a rough job - if it doesn't have to be done right now I think it's ok to leave it. If it has to be done right now, it's ok to lean on SR as much as you need

D
Old 01-16-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by bandicoot2 View Post
To be honest I'm struggling a bit. No thoughts of drinking but I'm on high alert against that and will continue to work my strong recovery program each day. This is about sorting through the remainder of my mother's personal belongings and memoirs and deciding what to do with them. They've been tucked away in boxes far too long. Prayers & positive thoughts are welcome.
You certainly have mine, ma'am. It's difficult where you are, and your strength is admirable.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bandicoot2 View Post
(((Thump))) Thinking of you & your son as you work through this together.
How fortunate for both of you that you are in a strong place with your own recovery and can help guide him.
Prayers & good thoughts also for strong platelets / a good immune system to insure the best possible surgery & recovery. The quit smoking will be tough but you can do it, just like you stopped drinking! You have a full plate right now.....Thank You for sharing with us. Together we are stronger!

Glad you're feeling better Nic honey & good for you giving the pills to your mother.
Hopefully the antibiotics will get rid of the infection altogether. Have you received a final diagnosis? Hugs to you.....xxx

Sunflower - that's great news that you are moving home & will be close to your parents for more support. Please stay with us! It's wonderful to have you here again. You CAN do this!

Hi to all Jannies & Dee -

Bandi I have to agree with everyone else, and I certainly wouldn't be rushing to sort out your Mums things if you don't need to. I am a big believer in trusting our instincts and although it may always be a painful task, I believe that you will know when the time is right to tackle maybe a box at a time like others have said. Sending hugs honey... Can't imagine how difficult that must be.. Stay strong xx
Old 01-16-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
Thanks D- I am posting in the 2017 as often as I can but I'll be here too- you will always be my true SR family
I am also sticking with this amazing class Sunny. I am only a couple of weeks sober this time round (again) but I am feeling confident that this is it. We can do this together hun- Post in here lots... I am so glad that you're back..I missed you xxx
Old 01-16-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Good to hear that you are feeling better Nic, when I had a root canal a few years ago, the pain was horrible. Fortunately, your doctor's plan for treatment worked!
I went to a wonderful dentist last night (my Parents dentist) who took 3 lots of x-rays and did a full examination and refused to charge me anything. She was so lovely... She said that the abscess originates from one of my teeth that has been previously treated by another dentist, and that she has actually never seen such a big abscess before. It has spread from my tooth all the way through my face up to my right temple, so I am one lucky girl. She said it could have gone up to my my brain had I not got onto the right antibiotics.
I feel very confident with her and she is going to put the antibiotics right down into the tooth before any root canal treatment can happen and then another course of oral antibiotics for my face..
I guess that explains the need for morphine!!! I'm currently in no pain so something is working.
She also said that she is going to discount my treatment as I am a working single mum who is studying as she was in the same position whilst studying to be a dentist. I actually feel soooo blessed. Very humbled by the whole experience.