http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-4-a-21.html

D
Old 12-31-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

21 minutes till Adelaide NY. Heelllo all
Old 12-31-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. Day 2 now.

I have managed to sleep for a few hours last knight and again from about 11am to now. Feeling a little better. Have had the night sweats but I've eaten, though not that much.

For anyone struggling with depression here is a link with 21 tips on it and it really helped me last night - 21 Tips to Keep Your **** Together When You're... - Rosalind Robertson (the DIY Couturier)

All the best to everyone for 2017.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

SOS 121 days is great! I hope you were able to enjoy your evening out.

SSOH I am also looking into adapting yoga to fit my limitations. I have no flexibility or strength in my wrists due to rheumatoid arthritis. Probably the only downside I have to not drinking is I am in pain a lot more since I am no longer masking it by drinking. But I am coping and that is what matters.

Barbs good for you for working out. I am trying to find something that catches my interest but ultimately I need to motivate myself more. I'll bet your mom really appreciates your time together.

Happy New Year PJ! Sounds like you get to be first out of the blocks

Martin I'm glad you got some sleep. I recommend indulging in as much sleep as you are able to get.

Yesterday ended up being a write off for me. Did absolutely nothing productive. So I need to make up for it today and have a list of things to do. Yes, it is yesterday's list, but whatever! lol

Mr. Troy and I will spend our usual New Year's evening at home. I have zero desire to go out so it suits us well.

Have a good one everyone and Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2016, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Living the life

Well I've just made another step in the right direction. I have been trying to decide what to do with all my homemade wine and winemaking supplies. I just sent my mom home with two cases of wine. There is more stashed that I need to get out for her. We discussed it and I will go ahead and make up the other wine kits I have and then give the wine to her. When that is done I have a friend that may want the wine making gear.

Initially I was going to give it all to my daughter but as she is a young stay-at-home mom I worry that I am setting her up for a future problem by having a huge supply of wine on hand.

It honestly didn't bother me putting the wine in my mom's truck, as I know she will give it a good home Now I feel like there is one less thing weighing on me. I think I will now go and make myself a cup of tea.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Just realised that today is my 4 months sober - I was so focussed on New Year, I can't believe I forgot that!

Just cooking a recipe from a cook book I received for Christmas and sipping on posh lemonade.

I know I will have difficult times with my sobriety ahead, but I'm honestly so grateful for it. I feel like over the past few weeks, I've turned a corner in the way I look at it - the times I feel I am denying myself are at least equalled (and probably outweighed) by the times I feel I am giving myself an enormous gift. It's hard to describe the precise emotion, but "safe" is the word that keeps coming into my mind. It's like I'm properly taking care of myself for the first time and I hope it continues.

My posting here has been a bit on and off, but this forum has given me so much this year. Thank you all for posting here - it has helped me enormously. Wishing you all a fantastic year ahead.

xx
Old 12-31-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats SSOH
Congrats to you too Helen in getting rid of all that gear

D
Old 01-01-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Martin so glad you got some sleep. I remember how tough those early days were. Eat and drink plenty of water and maybe get yourself out for a walk. The fresh air always does a world of good for me.

Helen congrats on sending that wine home with your mother. I like the new plan of giving all the equipment to a friend rather than your daughter. I worry about my own kids and their drinking too. It has been such a big part of the family lifestyle. I did get a few conversations in with them during Christmas about the dangers of daily drinking and binge drinking. I hope they heard me.

SSOH I can relate to your feelings. I have been feeling very content this last week or so. Almost like I am somehow worthy of being good to myself. Definitely feeling optimistic for 2017!

Last night after dinner my husband wanted to go to a few of our old water holes. I had a soda with cranberry juice while my husband had Lagavulin. He said he deserved it as an end of the year treat. He struggled to get it down and said instead of it being a treat it was torture lol. We then went to our old favorite place where all the townies hang out and we know everyone. The bartender knows my drink well and was shocked when I ordered a soda and cranberry. She couldn't wrap her head around it. I just smiled and repeated my order. Hubby had a beer and only drank half. He said my drink was better than both of his drinks. Hmmm... maybe he's seeing the light lol.

Hope 2017 is a great year for everyone!
Old 01-01-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks and happy new year!

Hands up all who are as grateful as I am to be waking up sober on this beautiful new year's day

SSOH congrats on four months! I know what you mean about feeling so much better about yourself. I like the word "safe". For me I feel like I am finally getting to know myself and I am a pretty good person after all. I "like" me now, and I am worth taking good care of! Funny how the "me" that I didn't like so much only seemed to show up when I was drinking.

Thanks Dee. I have written before about getting rid of this stuff but I have wrestled with how to do that in a way I can feel good about.

Barb it sounds like you had a great evening out. I love how you handled the bartender's confusion lol

Martin, how are you doing this morning, my friend?

And a shout out to PJ, SOS, Bikube and anyone else still lurking along with us.

Mr. Troy and I had a really nice dinner - I made meat pie from our leftover Christmas prime rib with homemade pecan pie for dessert - and then watched a couple of movies on tv with the fur-babies on our laps lol. Hey, it works for us It's a beautiful sunny day out there and I feel great - ready to take on the world.

Have a good one everyone.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry, I didn't subscribe to this thread so I missed the posts.

Not too well, I'm panicking over things again.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Martin - panicking does no good - it doesn't change things & it keeps you paralysed.

You slipped you came back and you're back on track - those are all good things

D
Old 01-01-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Martin, you are here. That is good.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hey Martin - panicking does no good - it doesn't change things & it keeps you paralysed.

You slipped you came back and you're back on track - those are all good things

D
Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Martin, you are here. That is good.
I'm sorry. I can't see myself ever getting out of this situation, I'm embarrassed to even talk about it.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello all, and a happy new year to the September class!

I've been quite lazy about posting here over the festive season but I've been popping in to read everyone's posts!

Martin, I'm terribly sorry that you're having such a tough time. Before my current period of sobriety (and before I came to these forums), I had a long period of just constantly relapsing. Slip after slip after slip. I felt like everything was so bleak and that I was forever destined to be a hopeless slave to alcohol. I know I can't say for certain that I will never drink again but I do feel like I've turned a corner now...and if I can do it, after the state I was in and the cycle of relapsing that I was in, I truly believe that you can do it too!

I know it's so hard to see the wood from the trees at the minute but there is a better life out there for you, and we all know and understand how you feel here. Do you attend AA? I think the greatest aspect of AA (for me) is being able to talk honestly and openly with ZERO judgement. There is no embarrassment there, no shame - feelings that I struggled with massively for a long time.

Take care all! xxx
Old 01-01-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Oh and thank you for the new thread, Dee!
Old 01-01-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

you didn't relapse because you're doomed to be an alcoholic Martin - you relapsed because in some way your plan let you down.

fix the plan - stay sober

D
Old 01-01-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

M-what is past belongs there. Focus on now, here- today. What you are doing that is different. What you plan to do. I(:-)>
Old 01-02-2017, 04:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Living the life

Good morning folks.

Martin no words of wisdom here, just know we are on your side and rooting for you.

Not much to report here this morning. Have a good one everyone.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for all replies. I was in a particularly bad way last night, it's not just the alcohol. My personal issues in life, I think about something and then the anxiety gets worse and worse.

I'm not sure how much of this is down to drinking.

Today has been worse which is why I haven't posted. I go to bed at about 12 and am messing about on my phone as I simply cannot switch off, anxiety goes through the roof.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Martin- perhaps see a doctor about stuff. My very early recovery was filled with stuff in my head which antidepressants have helped with. About that 'stuff' I have- I see a psychologist and take very small daily steps to address them. Keep posting.