Notices

I Will Not Drink/Use Today Part 3

Old 12-26-2016, 02:33 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

It was an Avo, PJ.

Well done, Tomls! I'm glad you got through it.

How are the rest of you guys?
Old 12-26-2016, 04:08 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Will not and shall not drink of use today.

Way to go Tomls.

Good morning from sunny Florida. Traveled yesterday after spending Christmas Eve with family in PA. So nice to wake up in my own bed. I'm home!

So excited to see my gym rat then home group peeps today...after 9 weeks of being gone.

On to a clean and sober last week of 2016.

Carlos
Old 12-26-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Carlos! You managed to withstand the North!
Old 12-26-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Good morning. We made it through another one.

Courage, I hope you made it safely to the warm. Carlos, glad you did.

I'll be over here freezing my toes off.

Well done tomls, hayden and badger.

No drinking for me. I kind of feel that goes without saying at this point. If you're newly sober, just know that the thoughts of drinking don't really leave. It's the reaction to them that is important. Thoughts can't make you drink. Just tell those thoughts, "No."

It gets easier.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Thanks Biminiblue! I have a little over 60 days. It is great and I feel so much better! How much better will it get or will it get better?
Old 12-26-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

It gets better. It gets to the point where it's rare that it even enters your mind at all--plus, your entire manner of conducting your life is happier and more productive.

You will learn to live as a free agent with confidence.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomls View Post
Thanks Biminiblue! I have a little over 60 days. It is great and I feel so much better! How much better will it get or will it get better?

Heck yes it will get better! So much better.

I really felt pretty good at 60 days, "Pink Cloud" is the term that I heard which was pretty accurate. In that third month I had a few days where I felt like I was flying. My sleep normalized, too.

Six months I hit a roadblock and had quite a few really bad days. It passed.

At about a year, my serious bouts with anxiety disappeared. I had been exercising and eating well.

Amazingly at two years my morning edginess was gone. THAT was worth waiting for, I've had morning anxiety for years and just thought it was something I had to deal with. I'm coming up on three years here in a couple months. I feel stable and able.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Just read back a bit...oh my, Gilmer...hope you are having a better day!

Bim, a cookie hangover sure beats the alternative.

Hey, sober bestie, Glee....

Congrats on the 40, badg.

Hi, pj.

I can only speak on my experience, toml...overall, still with ups and downs, life is sooooo much better. Just to not have that train running between my ears all the time...I am so grateful! Yes, recovery has offered peace, serenity and freedom from obsession....far beyond just not picking up.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Thanks, Carlos. Everything's copacetic and long gone!
Old 12-26-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! that is exactly what I was looking for!
Old 12-26-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by tomls View Post
Hooray for me!
Hooray for you, tomls!

My flight went well & my son & I are in Tucson w/my husband now. The sun is shining.

I'm a little bummed because I forgot to bring something important. There's nothing I can do about it. Powerlessness, things I can't control. What's done is done.

Full acceptance doesn't just mean "okay, I admit it." It means, "I admit it, and I admit that it's over, and I can let it go and move on."
Old 12-26-2016, 11:06 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
I'm a little bummed because I forgot to bring something important. There's nothing I can do about it. Powerlessness, things I can't control. What's done is done.

Full acceptance doesn't just mean "okay, I admit it." It means, "I admit it, and I admit that it's over, and I can let it go and move on."
Haha, I left only one thing back in PA...ONE DARN THING...and yes, something very important. I had to let it go...such power in moving on!
Old 12-26-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Woke up sober. Survived Christmas....and "survived" is a about as good as I can speak of it. Prayed this morning that I may go to bed sober tonight. Best wishes to all!
Old 12-26-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

IWLSAST that is funny you said something about the train between your ears . I'm retired now but I worked for the railroad for 33 yrs.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Stay strong, Greg. You've done well not to cave under temptation. Very hard on a major holiday; there's an enormous amount of pressure.

Wear this place out all nigh if that's what it takes!
Old 12-26-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Stay strong, Greg. You've done well not to cave under temptation. Very hard on a major holiday; there's an enormous amount of pressure.

Wear this place out all nigh if that's what it takes!
I so appreciate that.

I hate thinking I may be posting too much but it beats dwelling on stuff that I shouldn't be thinking about.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gregknight View Post

I hate thinking I may be posting too much but it beats dwelling on stuff that I shouldn't be thinking about.
Post, post, post! That's the way the board is meant to be used! Make it work for you.

Read and post here and all over the board. There's always somebody here somewhere!
Old 12-26-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

An endnote: the girl I had the problem with and I have exchanged peaceful e-mails. All is good.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
p***enger

It's good to read so many healthy posts from all my great sober comrades. You help me get out of my head. Sometimes I just stop and think, "so-and-so from the threads is out there, and they want the best for me."

Gregknight, the early time will seem bad, that's sure -- 't was for me, anyway. As Gilmer said, post post post -- I've lived by that advice more than 10,000 times. It's been a constant in my sobriety -- that and not drinking, of course!

Also, 2 tablespoons of *really good* ice cream nips cravings right in the bud. As many times a day as needed, doctor's orders.*

*not a licensed physician
Old 12-26-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Here's an attitude typical of alcoholics that still rears its ugly head with me sometimes: it's called the "extraordinary worm" syndrome.

We feel that our failures are the most horrible and grotesque failures ever, so surely all eyes are upon us. On the flip side, we are extraordinary worms: we believe as we grow that we should be capable of perfection--and when we are found to be lacking, we go into a tailspin of horror, panic, and drama.

Truth be told, we are all just simple flawed people who want to get better.

If we discover that we have failed in some way, we should not leap off a cliff; rather, we should just take note, pick ourselves up, and resolve to do better in the future.

No horror--no recrimination. Just a lesson learned.