Notices

Class of December 2016 Part 2

Old 12-29-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

So good to see you Mariah! I'm with you on making 2017 our year!
How are you?
Old 12-29-2016, 06:38 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

Afternoon all,

Day 25 here. Another quiet one. 'Working from home' but same as yesterday, there's no work to do! I'm off out for a meal later with my Dad so that will be nice. Apart from that its another relaxing day in for me.

Koala - AV is the 'Addictive Voice'. Its a part of a recovery method called RR (Rational Recovery / AVRT (addictive voice recognition training... I think!). There are numerous books available on it, the most popular I believe by Jack Trimpey. I have read it and found it pretty useful.

Enfin - I have just finished Jason Vale's book actually. Although it is very similar to Allen Carr's, I found Jason's writing style and sense of humour much more easy to get along with.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post
To not drink. ...when I don't drink it is easy, but then when I want to I just cave so quickly.... so it is so hard not to drink, usually not doing something is easy... ie don't bash your head repeatedly with that frying pan. .. it requires lack of action. But not drinking requires massive action. .. I just think for me it seems like it should be easy not to do something, but t's not IYKWIM ... silly thoughts really!
Hi enfinthechange! I have been on this board now for 6mths. I quit drink for a few days, feel great (even lost a bit of weight!), then decide I can do moderate drinking. Then return in time for the next months class (and have put the weight back on). Thanks to all who never let me feel like a loser for falling off the wagon.

I totally agree with you. It's just too easy to give in and drink. But D? or one of the other wise ones here said, Don't take the first drink. That's the one that does the damage. We want to drink because it relaxes us, It helps us get rid of negative thoughts (so we think!) we like the buzz, we have had a bad/good day and deserve a treat... etc...

To others it seems easy to say, hey, just don't drink! But because we miss the alcoholic high that we get, we want to give in and drink. So its not a silly thought but something that takes real effort to fight the urge to drink.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

Good morning Class!! Good to see some of you persisting in your fight for sobriety! You are worth it. As has been said many times, it's simple but not easy! If it were easy, none of us would be here. We can do this! I'm not going to drink today...won't you all join me?
Old 12-29-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Day 15! I made it through some stressful stuff (or normal, for non trying to quit drinking folks) last night and I feel good about it. No big plans today, just keeping my routine.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

I have managed to clear all social events so I have no temptation ....... we have no booze in the house so thays good too. I just find it so hard to think of not drinking forever... everyone drinks that I know and some pretty seriously. .. they don't seem to care at all.... I do t have to be like them I know and it's one day at a time I know, but 25 years of habits are hard to smash to pieces! I iust don't get how other people can just drink so.much and not care. But his ain't about them it's about me for once! Scary stuff. ....
Old 12-29-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  
OX

Good morning on west coast USA
Feel like I turned a corner last night and felt a bit of energy returned. I actually stood up from the couch. Maybe it was the walk earlier in the day? Object in motion.... gonna double down and walk around the hood here soon before the rains come down
Hey efn- be easy on yourself. Booze is highly addictive so the brain and body calls out for it. I am lucky I had the opportunity to sit on my hands and deal with my mental freak out for a couple of days without having much responsibility to tend to. Plus I felt awful. And those of us who are doing so well? My SR join date is years ago and I am in this class. Been fighting this fight for over ten years. Makes me sick to think of that but I still must fight. Keep at it.
Koala there are great threads on AV and RR here at SR under secular threads (just wanted to use all my abbreviations to feel informed) idea differentiates the voice that wants to drink from you who really doesn't want to drink. The beast or devil on the shoulder.
MariahG. Let's have this class be our last. Good to see you!!!
RJ 15 days! Great.
I'll join you Hope spring in not drinking today
Old 12-29-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

[QUOTE="BigShoe;6265572"]Good morning on west coast USA
Feel like I turned a corner last night and felt a bit of energy returned. I actually stood up from the couch. Maybe it was the walk earlier in the day? Object in motion.... gonna double down and walk around the hood here soon before the rains come down
Hey efn- be easy on yourself. Booze is highly addictive so the brain and body calls out for it. I am lucky I had the opportunity to sit on my hands and deal with my mental freak out for a couple of days without having much responsibility to tend to. Plus I felt awful. And those of us who are doing so well? My SR join date is years ago and I am in this class. Been fighting this fight for over ten years. Makes me sick to think of that but I still must fight. Keep at it.

I joined in 2014 where I cracked at about 3 months... tried a few times since too... I just sneaks back in as I can't move areas or jobs and thus am surrounded by people who talk about drinking ALL the time and base their lives round it... I have read books and tried hobbies to fill the time.... I am starting to believe I prefer being sober so that is a good thing... I hope u are successful this time. You are here. You are trying. ... make this the time it works... and me too!
Old 12-29-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Efin I haven't been here long but I have been on another alcohol forum on and off for over three years and I remember looking up the number of AA years before that.

During the three years I have learnt how to have sober birthdays and New Years. They no longer have the same sort of anxiety they would have had previously due to doing them before. As a result of checking into the August class I had my first ever sober holiday too this year. All this is a learning curve, I'm trying and we have to keep at it. To want it fiercely. The stakes are too high.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Day 28 in progress.
It was hard today because I went back to work and remembered how drinking was the final "gift" of any working day.
I'm back home and I won't drink, my new sober life is too precious.

I think today was the toughest day since I've stopped but I'm so happy I stayed clean, it's hard to say how much!
Have a good night everybody, thanks to all of you at SR for existing
Old 12-29-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

I too have been floating around here for a couple of years. I can put together a number of months using SR...like 5 or 6 and then I stop posting and drink..Its awful. I did intially get sober in 2005 and had about 6 and 1/2 years then i drank in 2011 and have been struggling ever since. My life was not great.I still had teenagers who pushed my buttons, financial problems, sick parents and all the other crap we all have. The difference was that I knew my drinking would not contribute to those problems and not make things worse. When I drink, everything is worse. I know that. I have to remember that when AV is calling my name.

Like someone said...if you dont take that first drink, youll be okay . DOnt think about not drinking forever. Think about not drinking today..or even not right now..Things will get easier with time.

I wont drink tonight. Have a great evening everyone.
Stay strong and sober.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
ph7

Hi December team

Im coming to join you.

I was in the Class of August 2014 - Did 20 months sober then tested myself in May

Back here again now starting Day 2

At least I know now :/

Speak to you all later - Praying for some sleep
Old 12-29-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Welcome PH7, the not being able to sleep is the worst. Well, that and the headache and dry heaves, LOL.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

I actually had a thought to drink tonight, I managed to actually get some food down but 2 hours later I was throwing up in the garbage can. What a crazy thought process!
Old 12-29-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Lulu I hope you feel better tomorrow! You are right the thought process is ridiculous.

I made it through a very busy day 2. Going to bed very soon.

I'll see you all tomorrow.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Glad you made it through. Don't even know how could have thought of drinking with how I felt the last two days. Work is being encouraging so that's something, I wasn't completely honest I said I was getting treated for depression. I'm sure tomorrow will be better as today was much better than yesterday, I can never sleep when I am detoxing yet all I want to do is sleep, LOL.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LuLu13 View Post
Glad you made it through. Don't even know how could have thought of drinking with how I felt the last two days. Work is being encouraging so that's something, I wasn't completely honest I said I was getting treated for depression. I'm sure tomorrow will be better as today was much better than yesterday, I can never sleep when I am detoxing yet all I want to do is sleep, LOL.
Tell me about it ...it's 4.21am.here and I'm. So tired and so awake!!! Coughing a lot too as I smoked so.much last.time I drank. I never smoke sober! Just lying here worrying about how much damage I have actually done to myself and how much longer I will live... probs longer without drinking!!! Argh. ... insomnia is such fun!!
Old 12-29-2016, 08:29 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Ph7 and LuLu

D
Old 12-29-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  

A lot of new folks posting and that's GREAT! Haven't been on here as much but closing out Day 26 and still hanging in there. Not too much more than an occasional passing thought of drinking lately that I haven't had too much trouble dismissing.

Sometimes I feel GREAT, sometimes just average but that's life. Regardless.....I am happy that I have finally given SOBRIETY an honest effort. Feeling good about it for sure.

Be strong everyone, you'll never wake up sober and regret the drink you DID NOT DRINK!

4 Day weekend for me starting tonight but hitting the hay soon. 10:30pm, MidWest USA.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post
Tell me about it ...it's 4.21am.here and I'm. So tired and so awake!!! Coughing a lot too as I smoked so.much last.time I drank. I never smoke sober! Just lying here worrying about how much damage I have actually done to myself and how much longer I will live... probs longer without drinking!!! Argh. ... insomnia is such fun!!
Ugh, that stinks only 11:32 here. I have been reading for the last hour hoping it would make me sleepy but no luck. The nights are so long. Worrying won't help, once you have yourself straight go to the doctor and be honest. I guarantee you will live longer not drinking.