Notices

Class of December 2016 Part 2

Old 12-29-2016, 01:37 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Welcome chicchic, well done and keep going!

I have been keeping an alcohol tracker for the last 4 months during my 'trying to moderate' phase. Last night I counted it up and in the last 4 months I have spent literally 1 month of it drunk. Worth noting too that on those nights I did drink I really went for it as I knew it would be a few days before I could drink again. That to me shows why moderation or 'it's only a day or two' doesn't work.

So check in for day 4. I struggled a bit with the AV last night. I have chronic pain atm and had been in agony all day that painkillers were hardly working, the kids were messing me around (and I snapped at them at bedtime) then the next door neighbours had a loud music party until all hours of the morning. It was hard not to think f-it.

Still here I am this morning and as they say you never regret the drink you didn't take the night before.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:51 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

"I think if you accept that drinking is no longer a viable option, and instead of drink next time you turn to whatever other strategies for coping that you have (or find some if you have none) you're well on the way to lasting recovery."

You are so wise D! I need to have a coping strategy, I need to get through stuff without turning to booze. But I am also scared of letting go. I don't want to never have a drink again as I feel that is admitting I have a problem. But I know I have a problem as I wouldn't be here. I will stay sober for the next 24 hours.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:56 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is a leap of faith to let go...but it's a pretty educated guess that things turn out ok - there's tons of success stories here NorthernLass
D
Old 12-29-2016, 01:58 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

I'm struggling here folks... bad day yesterday in terms of being sober... I was just so sure I was in the right track. ...shouldn't have come here to my friends house. .. it's so full of alcohol I thought I could be strong. .. then just have a bit .... then didn't care...... I need a prison officer or teacher or carer or something. My husband is worse than me at sobriety... he wants it too but then drinks to excess....
Not sure how to nail this... got books , had counselling, use SR, want to be sober.... maybe I'll go to AA when I get home... I need someone to help me....... the precious commodity of hope has dribbled away in my head ... you guys seem to be able to achieve what I want and I am such a loser... lost the battle for my brain. Urgh....sorry to be on such a downer after such a happy few days, I'm so cross with myself ... 😡
Old 12-29-2016, 02:07 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

enf- I am a loser- at drinking. The simple statement- just do not drink has to sink in. It meant I had to do something different. It all starts with not drinking. You have to believe it, want it and persevere. The is no magic solution. Keep posting, sharing, trying, reading, learning, meetings. Do everything and if you have done everything- do it all again. Just keep trying.
Prayers and support to you and yours. PJ
Old 12-29-2016, 02:16 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
enf- I am a loser- at drinking. The simple statement- just do not drink has to sink in. It meant I had to do something different. It all starts with not drinking. You have to believe it, want it and persevere. The is no magic solution. Keep posting, sharing, trying, reading, learning, meetings. Do everything and if you have done everything- do it all again. Just keep trying.
Prayers and support to you and yours. PJ
Thank you... I need to keep trying.... I need to ... one day it will stick surely... I am successful in many things and like to do well and keep people happy, so why can t heal myself? I am dealing with much more than even I knew. I am l planning going to a meeting just looking at where to go near me, maybe face to face action will save me as all the hoping an planning in the world sure ain't. I can do not drinking... I just can't sustain it it seems. .. ....
Old 12-29-2016, 02:22 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  
Administrator

staying sober meant some hard choices for me enfin.

I had to leave a lot of my old life behind.
The new life I got in return tho is still amazing, 10 years down the track

do you think you're ready to make some real lasting changes ?

D
Old 12-29-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

enfinthechange, I was just doing what my nature wanted me to do when I was drinking.
Maybe is it the same for you? I'd like to give you an advice but I don't know much since I've stopped just a few days ago (day 28 today)
I’m going to AA meetings since a week and it helps me a lot.
I know I won’t drink when I’m in there, I feel 100% safe.
Maybe it could help you.
Good luck - big koala hug.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:30 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Morning everyone..lots of posts since I was here yesterday...
Welcome to all the newcomers and anyone else returning.

I had a rough time with AV yesterday..really struggled when walking past a liquor store but did not give in. It was tough. I had to play the tape to the end.

I have already committed to being designated driver for a group of us old folks going to dinner on NYEVE. I will stick to my commitment. I'm worse when alone in my house. Socially I can hold it together.

Stay strong everyone...listen to Dee and have a plan in place.

We can do this!!!
Old 12-29-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Hey NorthernLass -- apologies! When you asked about my plan and I responded that I had posted it here a month ago, I meant to provide a link:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

And since you asked about staying motivated, it so happens I started a thread about that, too, fairly recently:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ed-driven.html

Maybe those responses will be helpful.

For me personally, posting here helps me stay motivated, along with consistently investing time and effort in my overall well being -- specifically, eating well and exercising. Also, as great as all the encouragement and positivity here is, sometimes I need really negative motivation and to be scared straight, if you will. There are documentaries and clips on YouTube that serve as grim reminders to me of what addiction has in store for those who don't overcome it. For me, those can help jar me out of complacency.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Hello,

I see "AV" in many posts and I don't know what it means
Please let me know....

Thanks, have a good day!

[edit] As used by ChloeRose63 right after my post lol
Old 12-29-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Good Morning, Everyone and Welcome to the Newcomers!
I still have a 'little AV'(Alcoholic Voice for you Koala) but, it is stupid. When I hear it I think, 'You sound so stupid and don't make any sense so shut up and stop wasting my time'.
It 's the same way of thinking when I meet someone what is a total idiot. I don't really need that in my life. So, I dismiss them. My AV is a 'total idiot' !!
Old 12-29-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

How can it be so hard to not do something! !!!!!!
Old 12-29-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Not to do something about what?
Old 12-29-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Still here still sober. Going to bed Saturday night around 9. I have no plans and it's perfect. ��
Old 12-29-2016, 05:29 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Asking again : what does AV means???
Old 12-29-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Not to do something about what?
To not drink. ...when I don't drink it is easy, but then when I want to I just cave so quickly.... so it is so hard not to drink, usually not doing something is easy... ie don't bash your head repeatedly with that frying pan. .. it requires lack of action. But not drinking requires massive action. .. I just think for me it seems like it should be easy not to do something, but t's not IYKWIM ... silly thoughts really!
Old 12-29-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Koala777 View Post
Asking again : what does AV means???
Addictive voice. It's used in jasön cave (???) Book on giving up alcohol. ... is a good book, useful perspective!
Old 12-29-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post

Addictive voice. It's used in jasön cave (???) Book on giving up alcohol. ... is a good book, useful perspective!
Jason Vale. ... oops... it's on amazon!
Old 12-29-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Good morning all.

Effin I know exactly what you are saying. I've had those thoughts may times. It's quite frustrating to think about.
But you know that it gets easier the longer you are sober. Just have to get through the first tough days and maybe weeks, but then things are so much better. I need to keep reminding myself that hourly. I know I can get there!

Off to help my Mom in just a bit. I'm also in charge of cooking a christmas dinner at her house tonight. Should be a busy day. I've got my mind set on taking a hot bath and going straight to bed afterwards (no beer!).

Have and awesome day all. I'm sure in will be checking in when I have a bit of downtime.