Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 12-09-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hey Mira I'm holding a little lamp for you here 'cause I know how it feels. Having to deal with a child on your own, as well as quit the grog would be difficult beyond belief. I've been there too. And I've cracked too.

So you "cracked", big whoop, you are back, and that's what it's all about. Steep learning curve.

I wake up fatigued, the bags under my eyes look like the carousel at an international airport. My hair is falling out by the the brush load and my Christmas tree is dinky I gave it a go though, so I guess that's something.

No money for gifts, and will serve beans and rice for Christmas lunch. I feel crap too, really crap.

Hey Mira, didn't anyone tell you that the "humans" are zombies, and that you are the beautiful Mira engaging in one of the most human enterprises possible. That is, no longer self destructing and avoiding self. Your son will feel these benefits too. It takes time Mira, and it can be done.

Mira, I've "cracked" so many times it ain't funny, but we pull it all together again, kick off, and put yesterday behind us. Yesterday's calander.

It seems to me that many people "come good" relatively quickly, but I'm not one of them, and feel shite, but know beyond doubt that drinking would make it worse. Anything worse than the way I am feeling both physically, mentally and emotionally is not worth considering. Back on the horse Kooky, we love you.

Always on side Mira.

Your mate, steely. x
Old 12-09-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe you need more support, Mira?

D
Old 12-09-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tnek97 View Post
Hi everyone, day 38 complete.

I had a moment today, while in the mens room at work (of all places), thinking back to all the afternoons at work where I would mind wrestle with myself: "Just get a couple talls/No, you don't need it!/It's fine, tomorrow is Friday/Just stay sober for one night/You'll won't sleep if you don't drink"

I thought of that, and I became quite sad. Not because I've stopped drinking, but because I wasted so, so, so many days of my life having those fights. For years.

I'm very happy to have made this decision, and to be on this path, but man...just a waste.

On a happier note, someone at work said I've lost weight! The walking (and some running) is paying off.
Almost 40 days!
The walking and running isn't wasted! 😉
Old 12-09-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post

Herewith my deadly Christmas tree which I made from a dead pine branch and some baubles from last year. Pine and Palm are pretty close

It might be upside down which has something to do with mt iPad not my incompetence. Christmas is upside down, hey?
Love your tree! 😀
Old 12-09-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladyshipwreck View Post
Not much time right now.

Apparently Christmas is 15 days away and I haven't done any shopping yet :/ Thank God for Amazon Prime!!!

It has become a ritual every evening for me to fill a large wine glass with a cocktail of Sparkling water and 100% Cherry juice. I feel like it has some sort of placebo effect. It's only subtly sweet and looks like Merlot or Cabernet. I get an excited anticipation as I pour the liquid from the bottle into the glass.

I hope everyone has a good day
Hmmmm... I haven't tried sparkling water with cherry yet. Next on my list, thank you!
Old 12-09-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Sparkling water with cherry, yum! You could even make it look real fancy at Christmas and have some real cherries bobbing about. Just a few to savour the final flush of the ripe plump cherry.

You will be the envy of the drunken revellers, and wake in the morrow fresh as a daisy.

Thanks for liking my tree starstarstar, it's a bit of a dink, but no mind.

Sending good vibes to all.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Last night I went out with close friends. Unfortunately, it was at a local bar that I used to frequent. I was annoyed that I "had" to go, and angry at my friends for choosing that locale. You know, basically riling myself up to already be in a bad mood, even before arriving.

Well, I got there about an hour after they had arrived, and actually had no problem sitting down with a soda instead. In fact, throughout the night, I kept noticing how present I was in the conversation, and, as smug as this sounds, how funny I was! If I were drinking, all I would have been concentrating on was "how fast do I need to drink this beer, so I can get another drink because everyone else is still drinking theirs?"

Not going to lie, when I first sat down, I felt a little like I was being punished: I couldn't drink. Though once again, I was reminded of the fact that going out with friends is fun because of the situation, and the camaraderie, not the alcohol. The AV romanticizes the notion of booze, the reality is the romance is in the friendship. They also didn't push it. They all know I quit drinking, though at varying levels of understanding. One friend did ask when I would drink again. The others understand on a deeper level.

Plus, no hangover! I could see my friends faces become slower, and heavier as the night wore on, and I was glad I wasn't going to experience the same.

Happy Saturday you guys!
Old 12-10-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Wow tnek, you sound like you have struck a goldmine.

You got over the deprivation bit and saw the folly, felt in the *now* and luxuriated the following day hangover free, with your mind at peace. Bliss.

I'm reckoning it can only get easier and better. Not forgetting vigilance of cause, but a vigilance that is beginning to come more easily, because it's developing into second nature. Slowly, slowly.

Even though times are tough at the moment drinking is not an option. I want me back.

Breakthrough.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Wow tnek, you sound like you have struck a goldmine.

You got over the deprivation bit and saw the folly, felt in the *now* and luxuriated the following day hangover free, with your mind at peace. Bliss.

I'm reckoning it can only get easier and better. Not forgetting vigilance of cause, but a vigilance that is beginning to come more easily, because it's developing into second nature. Slowly, slowly.

Even though times are tough at the moment drinking is not an option. I want me back.

Breakthrough.
Thanks, Steely. I do have to credit the book: The Naked Mind, Controlling Alcohol. It really helped me see things from a different perspective, and understand that choosing sobriety is not the same as sentencing yourself to a lifetime of dull nights, and no fun.

Quite the opposite, it allows you to live to your full potential. I would recommend the book to everyone. It might not resonate with all, but for me, it did. I'm not a religious, or spiritual person in the slightest. I am analytical, and more science based. This was the first book that I came across that approached alcoholism from a scientific perspective. It resonated with me on that level.

Anyway...I know it's going to still be hard. There will be harder tests on this journey. For all of us. I'm glad we have this space and place together.

I hope you get you back too, steely.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Thanks tnek for your post and the book recommendation. I'm going to check it out today. Going out with friends has been something that I've dreaded and avoided so far. I think I might need a few more weeks before it's a possibility. It was good to hear your perspective on that social situation.

Day 18 today!
Old 12-10-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Not sure if I should join the November or December group. My last day of drinking was November 25.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Well you got sober in November so you should be in with us The Nobenders

But post and read all over the place including December if you want, there really are no restrictions apart from the standard be a nice person, and don't be rude or insult anyone, including moderators. And that's a good thing.

Hope you continue to post and wish you all of the the very best. We all deserve it.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Will definitely have a look at "The Naked Mind" tnek. My mind needs laying bare, and that's for sure. Thank you.

Yes, the freedom that removal of alcohol brings shines outa site to the drunken revelry that tried to pass as fun back then (41 Days) And it never made the cut in the ways that I would have liked, whereas sobriety can, if I am prepared to put in the work. Good works.

It's pretty daunting, but the idea of autonomy and voice calls stronger. I'm in. .
Old 12-10-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jillwink - post wherever you feel most comfortable

D
Old 12-10-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hello Nobenders!!
Steely- Your pictures are all upside down to me, is that a Down Under Australian thing??

Tnek- thank your the book recommendation, hope it is on kindle.

Mira- Taking care of others takes its toll, it is not like a 9-5 job that you can leave. It follows you home and lives in your mind, I can relate. You "cracked", well your here and that means your still fighting, keep posting and take time to be "selfish" and put yourself first. Together we can do this!!

Jillwink- Welcome! You will find that we a mostly harmless but enthusiastic group!

It is my Friday, only 6 more hours to go. There is a person here who is having a incredably bad day, which pleases me to know end and has put me in the stratosphere of good moods! Now I know that to all of you reading this that that sounded supremely rude and mean that I would find such joy at another humans suffering, but its not a coworker and this fellow deserves all the bad Karma that comes his way.

Stay strong and safe everyone!!

Badge-- Day 25!
Old 12-10-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

No shame taking pleasure in a little karma unfolding badge. and 25 days! Wahoo
Old 12-10-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Welcome Jill wink
Old 12-10-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Congrats on 18 days rainy!
Old 12-10-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Wow. Full tummy. Ambient music. Cozy blanket and a snooze on the couch. Life is good.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Karma him/her out badge. The psychopaths have gotta pay one day

My upside down pictures have something to do with my iPad badge. I looked it up on Google, got immediately bored and confused and haven't managed to fix it yet.

I've turned my camera every which way, but still no go. Maybe it is an Aussie thing - thing is, steely can't follow simple instructions

Did huge Spring clean today and the flat looks deadly. Order at last, done with the chaos. Yes, we CAN do this.

Have a great day badge.