Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 12-08-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SollytheGolly View Post
In addition Dee, I have to say that I'm in a much better mind-frame than I was the last time I gave up the drink. As you can see, I joined in February 2011, and after some thought and consideration, decided to quit. Managed very well until my daughter's wedding in Vegas in 2014 and then succumbed to temptation. I'm not sure that my mind was fully committed to quitting then, but this time it is.

I remember deciding to quit smoking many years ago. I'd had several failed attempts at quitting, but at the last, and successful, attempt, I finally decided that I no longer wanted to be a smoker - always making sure that I had enough cigarettes and the means to light them - getting agitated if I was going to a non-smoking venue, etc. etc.....

I now feel the same about alcohol, which gives me some confidence that, this time, I can do it.

I firmly believe that you must be sure that you want to quit, rather than just feel a need that quitting would be good for your health (which of course it would). Once that positive mindset is there, it's a force multiplier, and the chances of success are much, much greater.

My $0.02.............
Great post! Thank you. 😊
Old 12-08-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Just checking in before heading to sleepy time.....
HUGS!
Old 12-08-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, day 38 complete.

I had a moment today, while in the mens room at work (of all places), thinking back to all the afternoons at work where I would mind wrestle with myself: "Just get a couple talls/No, you don't need it!/It's fine, tomorrow is Friday/Just stay sober for one night/You'll won't sleep if you don't drink"

I thought of that, and I became quite sad. Not because I've stopped drinking, but because I wasted so, so, so many days of my life having those fights. For years.

I'm very happy to have made this decision, and to be on this path, but man...just a waste.

On a happier note, someone at work said I've lost weight! The walking (and some running) is paying off.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

The wasted years do hit home hard tnek. Thing is we can't do a thing about it and has ironically returned my faith, that it is never too late.

From childhood this is what I believed, a happy but dysfunctional child believing the world was good and magical. Alcohol jaded me and I stopped believing, sobriety is returning my faith and hope. 'Tis good tnek.

A neighbour drove me home from the shops today, a young woman who wanted to stop at the bottle shop to buy wine. It was weird sitting in the car because I have been in that bottlo many times, and they have seen me rackered. Always nice, though.

We started talking about my decision to stop drinking, and she began to describe her cousin's encounter with Ice. It was all comfortably open and honest, and felt real. Feels much more natural now to say I don't drink. Some people don't eat Tripe and it ain't unnatural.

Saw my GP doctor today and he reckons I've got depression and anxiety. My psychiatrist feels same and has left open my sceptical choice to return to anti depressants.

My hair is falling out in the brushload, but am not going to take anti-depressants until family shite is complete. If no improvement I'll reconsider, as am not a complete drug nazi, and recognise their benefits as well as their drawbacks.

Don't want to miss anyone, but.....

Hi Purplrks, Kimmy, Blackbird, Plenny, Abriella, Imborge and Phoenix, and anyone sitting at the back of the Class still batting. Sunflower, maybe MiraMira.

Rock on Nobenders.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:18 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Herewith my deadly Christmas tree which I made from a dead pine branch and some baubles from last year. Pine and Palm are pretty close

It might be upside down which has something to do with mt iPad not my incompetence. Christmas is upside down, hey?
Old 12-08-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

Looks good Steely

D
Old 12-08-2016, 11:30 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the love y'all.

I've said it before, I wouldn't wish any of my discomforts on anyone, but it sure is soothing to hear I'm not alone and that others experience very similar sensations. Money problems, being in recovery, all of it. I'm very thankful for your empathy.

Tonight a friend of mine offered me something for my anxiety. A prescription pill I hadn't heard of. Perhaps something new. I'm out of the loop you see, because I had a bad problem with pills when I was younger. I had to explain to her that even if this pill didn't get me high (as she claimed it wouldn't), if it offered me any relief it would open the floodgates to ALL the pretty white tablets under the sun. Because that's how my brain works. And I asked her to please never ever offer me anything ever again, and I told her I was intensely uncomfortable, and I explained to her that even if I had surgery and needed pain medication that I'd have to also enter a program to help me cope with that and that I'd need to be in touch with an addiction counselor to help me stay ahead of the pills. After all that she finally backed off.

I actually do feel fortunate that I am forced to cope with things in a raw manner and find real solutions cognitively and emotionally. I'm glad that it would take a village at this point to decide if it's ok for me to take medication. I feel confident that I'd be an excellent person to have on your side during a zombie apocalypse because my survival mechanisms have been so well practiced.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:50 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

All of the love in the world to you too Plenny. It really is so comforting to know that we are not alone. I think too, that being a woman with a drinking problem can isolate even more. Gotta keep ya self nice, girls.

Well done on punking the pills, so easy to get enticed into benzo's. The have their place in my view as the anxiety can be crippling, but know how easy it is to get sucked in.

Gosh, the emotional, psychological stuff you mention is so confronting and confusing, but as you say feeling it is in the raw, and so much more alive. It's real, and it's been so long since since I could get a real feeling up.

My best wishes to everyone, and we will get through Christmas with our heads held high.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:54 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hey Phoenix, I've never been bumped before. Didn't really know what it meant until recently. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:10 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks for likin' my tree Dee.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

How's about when it doesn't get better? When it just gets worse? Just worse? When it seems there's not a single positive?
I cracked.
A month without drinking and I kept waiting to feel better. But I just felt worse. And worse and worse. Especially physically just sooo bad!! Not good. Bad. Not better. Worse!
Old 12-09-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it needs patience Mira...and a little faith that it's going to be ok.

I drank for 20 years - at one month I was just starting to feel vaguely human again.

It took me 3 months before what I call the 'poison' of alcohol wore off and the real 'old' me started to re emerge.

What you given any thought to what you might do differently this time?

D
Old 12-09-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Miramira View Post
How's about when it doesn't get better? When it just gets worse? Just worse? When it seems there's not a single positive?
I cracked.
A month without drinking and I kept waiting to feel better. But I just felt worse. And worse and worse. Especially physically just sooo bad!! Not good. Bad. Not better. Worse!
I'm so sorry! *hugs*
Old 12-09-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Mira. Remember that alcohol does not fix your ailments, but makes them worse. hugs to you. Try again.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I don't know what to do. I don't feel even vaguely human and the effort to get up everyday and look after another human being and go to work and look after other little human beings and get home and continue to concentrate on another human being and all the while pretending that I am a human being with something to offer sucks any minute amount of energy I have to put into my own humanbeingness!!

I'm venting. I ****** up. And I just have to not **** up again and just deal with not being a human being in a world of human beings.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Miramira View Post
I don't know what to do. I don't feel even vaguely human and the effort to get up everyday and look after another human being and go to work and look after other little human beings and get home and continue to concentrate on another human being and all the while pretending that I am a human being with something to offer sucks any minute amount of energy I have to put into my own humanbeingness!!

I'm venting. I ****** up. And I just have to not **** up again and just deal with not being a human being in a world of human beings.
Vent away, dry any tears, own the truth and be strong in the face of this challenge. Right now you might be feeling angry or fearful or desperate, feelings tumbling all over one another... But you can do this!
Old 12-09-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Day 19

Not much time right now.

Apparently Christmas is 15 days away and I haven't done any shopping yet :/ Thank God for Amazon Prime!!!

It has become a ritual every evening for me to fill a large wine glass with a cocktail of Sparkling water and 100% Cherry juice. I feel like it has some sort of placebo effect. It's only subtly sweet and looks like Merlot or Cabernet. I get an excited anticipation as I pour the liquid from the bottle into the glass.

I hope everyone has a good day
Old 12-09-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

6th day

Ladyship I drink large quantities of Yogi Soothing Bedtime Tea every night and feel as though I am being given a gift. That is so pathetic, really makes me depressed.
Today I finally got most of my Christmas decor up andthe tree trimmed. I was procrastinating about getting that done. We are having close to 30 people here on Christmas Day. There will be a couple of bottles of wine on the cupboard and some Bud Lite in the fridge. What a big temptation that will be. I have made it through holidays before without drinking, so I know I can do it. I have to pray for strength. I have some organizing and cleaning the upstairs quest room yet, perhaps tomorrow. I dislike myself immensely when I procrastinate.
Last night some friends and I took a bus trip to another city close by for a Christmas program. Was offered a glass of wine when we stopped for the supper break, but turned it down. Did not want to, but I did. The Christmas program was held at a high school, there were performers of all ages. It was the best Christmas program I have ever attended. What fun.
Well, take care all my good friends as we walk our personal walk to sobriety together. Peace😘
Old 12-09-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Mira you ARE a human being. Caring for others is hard work. Be kind to yourself, the rest will fall in to place.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Quick check-in for me this afternoon. Crazy busy at work... usually is on Friday afternoons. Ugh... that was always my trigger to go home and drink. Not today. Not gonna happen. I'm staying positive.

Hope you all are having a great day. Hugs to everyone struggling. We can do this... together.

Day #12