Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 5

Old 12-26-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Kimmy and agree with Dee's advice in getting her to call a Crisis Line.

Don't know how it works where she lives, but YOU could make the call to a Mental Health Crisis Team (in her area) yourself, to let them know she is actively suicidal. What else can you do with her being so far away?

I have had to do the same thing with my brother and understand the stress, fear and anxiety involved. Truly awful.

Now that he (my brother) has received professional care and intervention it has removed the weight from me, and am now practicing a measure of "detachment" because his problems have driven me into the ground and my own good health.

Professional help is far better than that of family as we are too close, and cannot be as objective.

I hope your sister is OK. (((Kimmy)))
Old 12-26-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Way to go Angie. I did the same with an accidental shortchange of $10. Generally I would be too embarrassed for a lousy $10 but I thought, screw it, I need it more than that rip off merchant. He really overcharges, and has no compunction whatsoever, so why should I?
Old 12-27-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hello all.

Kimmy- how are you? how is your sister? ((((hugs your way))))

Angie- Welcome! Glad to have you here.

LiveLikeGold Abriella, Pheonix, Rainy, Stormi, Beerbgone Steely and all other Nobenders congrats on making it through!!

I made it through Christmas unscathed and sober, and I have all of you here and SR in general to thank. Christmas eve was the worst, so much was going on all around me, not all positive. I felt trapped, frustrated, claustrophobic. I wanted to drink so badly, my AV had full control. I was so relieved to find out I could get to you guys on my phone. I was picked on for spending more time on my phone than with my friends. You all were truly life savers. Christmas day itself was so much better, its like there was a break in the storm and I felt more in control, more positive. Again thank you all!

We made it home yesterday to 6 inches of new snow, with more on the way. Dogs are having a great time digging up all their toys that were in the yard and are now buried. I am not having quite as good of a time as I am taking down the decorations, kind of sad time as I like all the colors and lights, but it is a little to rednecky to leave them up. all year,,, sigh

Badge
42 days
Old 12-27-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Kimmy- stay safe, do not take risks. Prayers for you and your sister. PJ
Old 12-27-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

You made it badge , and that's all that matters.

Learnt a lesson in that after I made it through Christmas had thoughts that said I deserved a drink. Very sneaky that AV thing, but didn't get fooled, and what a total disaster that would have been.

I knew I wouldn't act on it, but it certainly cropped up in my mind. Eternal vigilance is the key until sobriety becomes a complete state of mind. That thought is very appealing and it will happen, I know. I love sobriety.

Hey Phoenix it's the 3rd Day and we're still not out. That's Cricket again, America. Oh, shame.

Hope everyone is travelling well, and hope too that your sister is OK Kimmy.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Hi all.

I've been trying to be conscious about sobriety when I've been out doing "normal" activities with friends, and alone, over the past couple of weeks. Tonight I went to the movies with a friend (Rogue One...it was pretty spectacular by the way). Normally, we would get a beer at the bar before, and then another beer at the theater to drink during the movie. And you know what would always go through my head during that movie: "can I get another, should I get another, what will he think of me if I get another, what if I buy him one too and surprise him, what if we go out afterwards, what if I just go out, I can't afford to go out, what if I stop at the gas station."

Kind of hard to enjoy the movie that way. So tonight, while watching I did think about the fact that normally we would be drinking, and I realized that I would be having that struggle, but tonight, I don't have to. Tonight, I get to just enjoy the damn movie. And I did.

One more example of alcohol doing no favors.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

tnek, I understand your struggle and I'm glad you had a good night and enjoyed the movie without alcohol. Alcohol is completely unable to do any favors.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Kimmy, prayers for you and your sister. Are you both ok?
Old 12-27-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Do I ever know that internal mind struggle too, tnek.

Enough to drive you to drink, and it used to, but not anymore we are free from that horrible conflict, or getting there day by day.

We will make peace with ourselves. Love you guys.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

You is smart, you is kind, you is SOBER
Old 12-27-2016, 10:06 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hi all. I wanted to check in before I went to sleep. I hit 50 days today. Needless to say, I'm happy about that. My dad has been having some health issues. They found a blood clot in his right lung but he goes back to his doctor tomorrow. He had a bleeding ulcer recently so they can't give him blood thinners. He has great doctors and we will all know more tomorrow. No desire to drink through this. I need to be clear headed and not all foggy. They don't need to worry about me drinking while they are going through so much. Hope everyone is doing well. I've been up since 2:00am and I can barely keep my eyes open so I will head to bed now. Goodnight.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:17 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Congrats on 50 days. Prayers to you dad.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:09 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Angie - way to go on 50 days! I'm sending prayers and good thoughts to you and your dad.

Steely - it's crazy how the AV always lets us know that we "deserve" a drink for making it through stressful times sober. I'm glad you didn't give in.

Badge - good job making it through the holiday! I agree with you that this group helps to make it easier to get through stressful times.

Today is day 35 for me and the longest period of time that I have ever been sober as an adult. It's crazy that it took me 18 years to get 35 days sober.

My partner's sister and her boyfriend are here to visit for a few days. They both had drinks tonight and it wasn't hard to resist (this is a first for me!). I don't know why things are different this time, but the AV has been pretty quiet for the past few days. I think SR has been one of the most useful sober tools that I've ever had. Thanks to all of you for the support and accountability.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done Angie

D
Old 12-28-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Congrats on 35 days rainy, your longest period ever for 18 years. This thing sure is patient, but it couldn't keep a good girl down in the long run. Someday soon it will cease to be a struggle, replaced instead by our natural way of being. We'll be lovin' it.

Likewise Angie, on cracking 50 days and so happy that you have joined us. It's wonderful when suddenly it's "different", a real game changer. Hope results and outcome for your Dad turn out well, and though he's sick at the moment he'd be proud of you.

Nigh nigh all, so tired.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Hi Classmates!

Angie... congrats on 50 days. Sending you prayers for your Dad.

Rainy... great job on 35 days. I'm right behind you.

Steely... we will definitely make peace with ourselves. Isn't it a wonderful feeling?

Tnek... the inner struggle is something we all have. It's so hard at times. I'm happy that you pushed through and enjoyed the movie!

Badge... 42 days is awesome... 43 by now!! Our snow is melting this week. The weather this month has been crazy.

Kimmy... Hugs to you and your sister. I hope she is ok. :hug

Dee, Phoenix, Rainbow, Ladyshipwreck, Angie, and anyone else I've missed... Hope you have a safe and sober Wednesday!!

30 days for me today!! I am pretty happy about that. It's sad that I don't have the support from home, but I love everyone here. Thanks for helping me through the first month. Here's to many more!!
Old 12-28-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Good Morning all!
Our Nobender days are really racking up! Rainy at 35, Angie 50, So proud of all of you for the struggles and fights you have gone through and came out so much stronger than before , and the courage to face a future that we all know will bring more challenges to face and smack down.

Got most of the decorations down I was amused with myself when I realized this was the first Christmas in a long time that I didn't have a glass of wine sitting on the table both putting up and taking down decorations. Our outside decorations are all buried under snow, so we won't see them till the spring thaw,,,
Ready or not its back to work for me today, take care of yourselves everyone!

Badge

Dee - your signature seems sad to me, everything okay?
Old 12-28-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Hello checking in. Life got a bit busy through the holidays.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

No, not sad
Richard Adams the author of Watership Down died, Badgerden.

I'm doing well
Old 12-28-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Abs (I've finally got to say it some where- NCIS memory)- it is Thursday here dear one. We went through Wednesday and have moved on. Have a cool/warm day where ever you are. Keep the sobriety marathon for Xmas- NY running.