Blogs


Notices

Class of July 2013 Part 37

Old 12-08-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Member
 
Leshar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,001
I can't stop crying. I don't know what to do, I feel immobilized. I can't see my FD re seeing a nutritionist for another two weeks. I never imagined I would get heart disease. I'm so afraid of having a stroke, I know I'm probably being alarmist, but my father was seriously debilitated by a stroke at a young age, later found to be due to blockage in his carotid artery, like they found with me.
I guess there's no point in going on about it, I'm just feeling very hopeless and helpless. I don't know how to turn things around.
Leshar is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Leshar For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Croissant (12-08-2016), Dee74 (12-08-2016), Gilmer (12-08-2016), PhoenixJ (12-09-2016), SnoozyQ (12-09-2016), venuscat (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Dee74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 187,916
Blog Entries: 1
Hi Leshar

I know how it is to get sober and then develop health issues. I'd love to be still able to walk more than 100m - I used to be able to walk miles - but thats not the dice I've been dealt.

Fortunately there's so many help aids these days I can still live a more or less normal life.

I think it's the same for you too.

I hope the meds will help. I'm also sure that medical science these days is more advanced than your fathers day.

I understand the fear - but please don't surrender yourself to it.

You're still young and vibrant and have a lot to offer
D
Dee74 is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Croissant (12-08-2016), Gilmer (12-08-2016), Leshar (12-08-2016), PhoenixJ (12-09-2016), SnoozyQ (12-09-2016), venuscat (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 30,206
I posted at the same time as Dee, and his post was more useful than mine.
Gilmer is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Croissant (12-08-2016), Dee74 (12-08-2016), Leshar (12-08-2016), PhoenixJ (12-09-2016), SnoozyQ (12-09-2016), venuscat (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Grateful Member ♥
 
venuscat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: German Village, Columbus with my love ♥
Posts: 62,916
I know this is scary Leshar, and I know how very unfair this feels.....but I believe that you can absolutely become and stay healthy and have a really good life with this diagnosis....we are so so strong....everything we have collectively been through shows us that we can do anything.

You are young and vibrant, as Dee said, and you have all of our love and support.
venuscat is online now  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to venuscat For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Croissant (12-08-2016), Dee74 (12-08-2016), Gilmer (12-08-2016), Leshar (12-08-2016), PhoenixJ (12-09-2016), SnoozyQ (12-09-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Grateful Member ♥
 
venuscat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: German Village, Columbus with my love ♥
Posts: 62,916
Hello darling Bug

And love to all of the Julyers.
venuscat is online now  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to venuscat For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Dee74 (12-08-2016), Gilmer (12-08-2016), Leshar (12-08-2016), PhoenixJ (12-09-2016), SnoozyQ (12-09-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Dee74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 187,916
Blog Entries: 1
Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I posted at the same time as Dee, and his post was more useful than mine.
pshaw.

D
Dee74 is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Gilmer (12-08-2016), Leshar (12-08-2016), PhoenixJ (12-09-2016), SnoozyQ (12-09-2016), venuscat (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 30,206
Gilmer is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Dee74 (12-08-2016), Leshar (12-08-2016), PhoenixJ (12-09-2016), SnoozyQ (12-09-2016), venuscat (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 4,227
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Leshar

I know how it is to get sober and then develop health issues. I'd love to be still able to walk more than 100m - I used to be able to walk miles - but thats not the dice I've been dealt.

Fortunately there's so many help aids these days I can still live a more or less normal life.

I think it's the same for you too.
I think there is wisdom in Dee's words, Leshar.
Firstly, it's a different age of medicine and your issues have been detected. For that alone, we should be grateful. There are amazing drugs to manage chronic Illnesses today, and these issues could not have been avoided, it seems.

Secondly, the appreciation that you do have excellent health now, so it's time to make the most of it. Using time worrying about tomorrow is not living life. Enjoying your gifts - and you have many, are what life is about.

I heard an Australian actress who has suffered chronic bouts of depression talking the other day about how incapacitated depression made her feel. She had no reason to get up or out of bed. She is now an advocate for volunteering, and says it gave her a deep sense of purpose, a reason to get up in the morning, keep a commitment to someone else and appreciate what she did have and a sense of community and support.

I wish you would reconsider the benefits it might bring to you. I know Dee dedicates a lot of his time here, when he could (quite rightly) be off being miserable about health issues. I too found volunteering helped me out of a very dark suicidal phase, where I had no will to live, whatsoever.

We will all die, Leshar. That is guaranteed. And no amount of worrying is going to avoid it. But why spend the time you are alive, worrying about something that is not going to be an issue for a very long time? It's time to start enjoying the very thing you are now scared of losing - life.

Croissant is offline  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Croissant For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Dee74 (12-08-2016), Gilmer (12-08-2016), Leshar (12-08-2016), PhoenixJ (12-09-2016), resolute50 (12-08-2016), SnoozyQ (12-09-2016), venuscat (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Member
 
Leshar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,001
Thank you, dear friends.
I will check in tomorrow.
Leshar is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Leshar For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Croissant (12-08-2016), Dee74 (12-08-2016), Gilmer (12-08-2016), PhoenixJ (12-09-2016), SnoozyQ (12-09-2016), venuscat (12-08-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 01:07 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Member
 
SnoozyQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,383
Originally Posted by Croissant View Post
I think there is wisdom in Dee's words, Leshar.
Firstly, it's a different age of medicine and your issues have been detected. For that alone, we should be grateful. There are amazing drugs to manage chronic Illnesses today, and these issues could not have been avoided, it seems.

Secondly, the appreciation that you do have excellent health now, so it's time to make the most of it. Using time worrying about tomorrow is not living life. Enjoying your gifts - and you have many, are what life is about.

I heard an Australian actress who has suffered chronic bouts of depression talking the other day about how incapacitated depression made her feel. She had no reason to get up or out of bed. She is now an advocate for volunteering, and says it gave her a deep sense of purpose, a reason to get up in the morning, keep a commitment to someone else and appreciate what she did have and a sense of community and support.

I wish you would reconsider the benefits it might bring to you. I know Dee dedicates a lot of his time here, when he could (quite rightly) be off being miserable about health issues. I too found volunteering helped me out of a very dark suicidal phase, where I had no will to live, whatsoever.

We will all die, Leshar. That is guaranteed. And no amount of worrying is going to avoid it. But why spend the time you are alive, worrying about something that is not going to be an issue for a very long time? It's time to start enjoying the very thing you are now scared of losing - life.

Dearest Croissant

THIS is one of the best posts I've ever red.
Just know that even though this was directed at Leshar,I gained so very much from this xx

Thank you.

I hope you are feeling better to Dear Leshar xxx
SnoozyQ is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SnoozyQ For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Croissant (12-09-2016), Dee74 (12-09-2016), Gilmer (12-09-2016), Leshar (12-09-2016), venuscat (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 01:41 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Member
 
SnoozyQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,383
Originally Posted by Leshar View Post
Snoozy, like the others, I am very glad that you checked in and that you are doing ok.
I'm so sorry that you are going through this.

I'm not doing so well, very upset and can't stop crying. I saw the cardiologist today, and he says I do have coronary artery disease. There is plaque formation on my right carotid artery. I said I didn't think I had risk factors, there is no family history of heart disease, and he said but there is of stroke (my dad and uncle) and that it is all the same. He said my cholesterol was raised but he didn't think diet had a big part to play when I asked him about changing my diet. He said, it's just bad genes, bad luck. He's started me on a cholesterol lowering drug and nitroglycerin sub lingual when I get the chest pain and baby aspirin daily.
I'm just so upset. I feel I've been dealt enough blows in the health department, I don't know how to cope with this. I've no-one to share this with, other than you guys, so thanks for listening. I just think of my friend's husband, in Mexico, who has diabetes and he's an alcoholic, in my opinion, overweight, smokes, never exercises, and he's the one pushing my buttons about not drinking, surely drinking would contribute to heart disease. I feel very cheated, to be honest, but I don't feel like drinking. Just depressed and don't feel able to do much to get out of this funk, just want to go back to bed, which is wrong, I know, but I have very little joy in life and now this.
Darling Leshar, your life is not over. I too am living with coronary heart disease. It was discovered when I had all those tests done for my liver years ago.

I was devastated , just like you. I can't reverse it but I can learn to live with it.

My diet isn't the best & I have high cholesterol. I've only just had my other loads of bloods done 3 days ago and I'm too nervous to ring for my results.

But we can't let it define us. After your initial shock wears off , you will go back to living and being the wonderful person you are.

I don't know who said it , possibly Dee , but we are all dying every day. Medical knowledge has come so far.

I worry about having a heart attack , stroke never crossed my mind, yet many of our patients at work are stroke patients.

We are all here for you and just talk it out lovely.

You're a beautiful woman & you can't live with the what ifs.


What we have is here and now, you will get through this.

Much love sweetheart , you'll be ok xxxx
SnoozyQ is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SnoozyQ For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Croissant (12-09-2016), Dee74 (12-09-2016), Gilmer (12-09-2016), Leshar (12-09-2016), PhoenixJ (12-09-2016), venuscat (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:06 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Member
 
PhoenixJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 22,760
Blog Entries: 2
Leshar- feeling scared is natural. What I do with my fear makes up the difference. Do you know those stereotype crap alcoholic stories you hear? That is mine. Live life- do not spend your time wasting your now life worrying about the then life. I got to find this out the hard way. If you are concerned- keep informed and proactive with your health. Perhaps research with prof, support,lifestyle changes (diet and stuff). For me no booze (obviously), diet, gym and smoking. Except for booze - all works in progress. I cannot predict my future, but I do get to choose how I spend it now. Life is precious, a gift- embrace it- use it. Squeeze every moment of every moment of every day. Keep posting and sharing.
I get crap depression and crap anxiety, PTSD and lots of crap physical things that care so crap they are really crap. With medical guidance, careful pain management and antidepressants my really, really crap stuff is now just 'not so bad' stuff. I also worked very hard to change stuff with support. Meetings and stuff. Meditation helps with anxiety (which is crap).
Keep posting. Thoughts and prayers to you. PJ (and stuff)
PhoenixJ is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PhoenixJ For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Croissant (12-09-2016), Dee74 (12-09-2016), Gilmer (12-09-2016), Leshar (12-09-2016), SnoozyQ (12-09-2016), venuscat (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 03:02 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Member
 
SnoozyQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 10,383
Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Leshar- feeling scared is natural. What I do with my fear makes up the difference. Do you know those stereotype crap alcoholic stories you hear? That is mine. Live life- do not spend your time wasting your now life worrying about the then life. I got to find this out the hard way. If you are concerned- keep informed and proactive with your health. Perhaps research with prof, support,lifestyle changes (diet and stuff). For me no booze (obviously), diet, gym and smoking. Except for booze - all works in progress. I cannot predict my future, but I do get to choose how I spend it now. Life is precious, a gift- embrace it- use it. Squeeze every moment of every moment of every day. Keep posting and sharing.
I get crap depression and crap anxiety, PTSD and lots of crap physical things that care so crap they are really crap. With medical guidance, careful pain management and antidepressants my really, really crap stuff is now just 'not so bad' stuff. I also worked very hard to change stuff with support. Meetings and stuff. Meditation helps with anxiety (which is crap).
Keep posting. Thoughts and prayers to you. PJ (and stuff)
No crap about this post. Love your thoughts Pj & your sense of underlying humour xxxx
This post made me smile as it's so,so true . It also made me feel bettter in the fact we are not alone with our crap anxieties & depresssion xx thanks

I love SR
SnoozyQ is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SnoozyQ For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Dee74 (12-09-2016), Gilmer (12-09-2016), Leshar (12-09-2016), venuscat (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 03:10 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Almost 700 years sober
 
Soberwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 66,887
Blog Entries: 4
I hope to speak to you all soon

Apologies for my absence
Soberwolf is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soberwolf For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Gilmer (12-09-2016), Leshar (12-09-2016), venuscat (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Member
 
Leshar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,001
Thank you everyone, for your caring and helpful posts. I wish I could write more. I've had a very bad day. Only got out of bed at 2pm.
I feel overwhelmed. Need to make a lot of changes. Just want to sleep my life away. Sorry. Afraid to eat. Just pretty depressed.
I'll try to do better. Sorry to be so miserable.
Leshar is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leshar For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Croissant (12-09-2016), Gilmer (12-09-2016), SnoozyQ (12-10-2016), venuscat (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Dee74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 187,916
Blog Entries: 1
No need to apologise Leshar. I'm sorry that you're really down about this.
If nothing else don't neglect the self care stuff - eat something, shower, maybe a walk outside if it's not too cold?



D
Dee74 is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Croissant (12-09-2016), Gilmer (12-09-2016), Leshar (12-10-2016), SnoozyQ (12-10-2016), SoberLeigh (12-09-2016), venuscat (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Member
 
SoberLeigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 115,171
I sent you a pm, dear Leashar.
SoberLeigh is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SoberLeigh For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Croissant (12-09-2016), Gilmer (12-09-2016), Leshar (12-10-2016), SnoozyQ (12-10-2016), venuscat (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Member
 
SoberLeigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 115,171
Love to all.
SoberLeigh is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SoberLeigh For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Croissant (12-09-2016), Gilmer (12-09-2016), Leshar (12-10-2016), SnoozyQ (12-10-2016), venuscat (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Grateful Member ♥
 
venuscat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: German Village, Columbus with my love ♥
Posts: 62,916
Originally Posted by [B
Leshar[/B];6238460]Thank you everyone, for your caring and helpful posts. I wish I could write more. I've had a very bad day. Only got out of bed at 2pm.
I feel overwhelmed. Need to make a lot of changes. Just want to sleep my life away. Sorry. Afraid to eat. Just pretty depressed.
I'll try to do better. Sorry to be so miserable.
Oh love, we just want to help you. No need to be sorry.
I'm sorry that you are feeling this bad, but I completely understand.

You can get past this oppressive fear that is weighing you down right now love, And you need to eat. Small healthy meals that will fuel you, and help you to feel a little less depressed. Little walks. Post lots, no matter what you need to say.

Fear can be so completely overwhelming....one step a t a time here you will perk up a little, and you will learn how to deal with this.

Huge hugs my friend.

Thinking of you too Wendy love, and wolfie.

And love to all of you.
venuscat is online now  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to venuscat For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Croissant (12-09-2016), Gilmer (12-09-2016), Leshar (12-10-2016), SnoozyQ (12-10-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
Dee74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 187,916
Blog Entries: 1
love to you too Leigh - hope everyone has a good weekend

D
Dee74 is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
ChloeRose63 (12-16-2016), Croissant (12-09-2016), Gilmer (12-09-2016), Leshar (12-10-2016), SnoozyQ (12-10-2016), venuscat (12-09-2016)

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39 AM.