Notices

Class of March 2016 part 37

Old 12-08-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Sam I could have pegged you for a brussel sprout lover! Good for you! French fries and pizza?! Part of me just died.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
ASSIGNMENT for those who choose:

Consequences

Negative Consequences of Drinking:
1. Physical Hangover - nausea, headache, heart palpitations
2. Mental Hangover - regret, anxiety
3. Hard to get back on the wagon
4. Knowing my kids aren't getting the best "Mom" I can be the day after
5. Telling my husband I feel "fine" and just had one too many (oh, I believe this is called LYING)

Positive Consequences of Drinking:*
1. feeling a happy buzz (then downhill)
2. feeling like I'm fitting in at the party (which isn't necessary)
3. feeling like I am increasing the enjoyment of the holiday (until I'm not)
4. feeling like I am getting a reward (it ends up NOT being a reward)
5. feeling like it is giving me energy (until I don't sleep because of it and am more tired)
*Obviously I want to answer NONE, but I tried to come up with a few that can seem "positive" in the short-term but we KNOW it's all CRAP

Positive Consequences of NOT Drinking:
1. Physically Healthier - less grogginess, bloating, red skin
2. Mentally Healthier - Wake up with a clear head, no regret
3. Ready and available to my children, whether that be playing with them or safely driving them all over
4. No scheming, planning, buying "extras" with cash, having pre-drinking drinks
5. Much lighter and noise-less recycle bin
Negative Consequences of Drinking:
1. Physical Hangover - nausea, headache, heart palpitations
2. Mental Hangover - regret, anxiety
3. Hard to get back on the wagon
4. Knowing my kids aren't getting the best "Mom" I can be the day after
5. Telling my husband or kids I didn't have anything to drink (oh, I know this is called LYING)
6. I'm off. Miss paying bills, miss appointments. Just off.
7. I isolate. Stay home. Talk to no one.
8. I obsess. When can I get my next drink?

Positive Consequences of Drinking:*
1. I used to feel as if it made me more fun. I'm freaking funny though, so I don't know what I was thinking.
2. I can't think of any. All my positives left a while ago.

Positive Consequences of NOT Drinking:
1. Physically Healthier - less grogginess, bloating, red skin
2. Mentally Healthier - Wake up with a clear head, no regret
3. Ready and available to my children, whether that be playing with them picking, up my daughter from jail (lol) or just being able to talk to my college student without worrying that I am slurring.
4. No scheming, planning, buying "extras" with cash, having pre-drinking drinks
5. Don't have to sneak to get rid of empties.
6. Socialize again. (go figure)
7. Running again
8. Babysitting!!
Old 12-08-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Trying to catch up on homework, AK. Give me a minute.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

You added some GREAT ones, Bobbie. Thank you. That word "obsess" is so key.

And yay for babysitting!
Old 12-08-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

It's all optional, my friend! Just trying to keep the thread moving and grooving. No, actually, it's my own therapy.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Yeah, "Obsession of the mind, allergy of the body".

Okay. I don't like turkey. Oh, and when we barbecue - I don't really like sauce on my meat. But apparently, everyone loves my sauce. Go figure.

'
Old 12-08-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

GOOD MORNING (0440 here) non dead people. I too stand before my march peers- as a living breathing example of non dead. It is quite the pleasant option. AK - yes I agree goldfish would have a nasty after taste. I often think that too with hippo's, dead whales and cane toads (some people do actually lick their toxic glands to get a high).
B- COLD, huh? It was v-e-r-y cold here last night= down to 12C. brrrrr
Samamantha, Farout Brussel Sprout, Unreal Banana Peel, Alright Vegemite.
Just had a memory- these were all silly kids poem nooks we read to our sons when theys were littl'un's.
Actually, AK- perhaps if your smeared vegemite on your goldfish they may be easier to the pallet. However I would suggest finding a cheaper alternative snack food, also your local petshop may have to report you for goldfish abuse. (haha)
Still fighting off the looming Xmas stuff Sometimes I wonder if Ebeneezer and Grinch baby have room for me in their man cave.
Got art this am- working on my 'assignment'. Our artist in residence (tutor) is leaving soon for studying at an exclusive art insitutue or stuff. She gave me arty homework (to end my crash course) she said- given I had developed enuf skills to move on to different stuff. All to do with depth, texture, perception. shade, peripheral vision and aesthetics.
Then post swimmy day full on gym (push myself a little harder each time- yay). Then study- tricky one that, needing to do a bit of groundwork.
Well dear and gentle friends, it is with great regret that I must tear myself away from QWERTY because I hear the aroma of black, short leaf tea calling me. Also the wants, nay needs of a health stick.
Stay safe, sober and sane with xmas stuff. Do not get to obsessed with gift cards, paper of having the perfect xmas. Try to be thankful for what you have instead of trying to make it something you do not have. PJ
Old 12-08-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

-6.1C here. Showoff.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

B- person up (man up is sexist)
You know sometimes it seems to me that this place seems to be all about alcohol. Just, me- just saying.
Alcohol- positives- none. Horror, far- running away from life. A means to escape and be transported to a chemical nirvana. A false prophet that does not and will never live up to what I wanted.
Alcohol - sobriety positives- still having a brain and being alive. The ability to squeeze every last moment out of every day that is good, productive, that gives proactive growth? I once heard in a movie something along the lines : Do you want to know how to truly destroy a man? Give him back something he loves that is broken.
NO, not today- never again with alcohol. I will continue to fix mine, thankyou very much- alcohol monster. Life is a gift. I WILL NEVER, NEVER AGAIN TAKE FOR GRANTED.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
B- person up (man up is sexist)
You know sometimes it seems to me that this place seems to be all about alcohol. Just, me- just saying.
Alcohol- positives- none. Horror, far- running away from life. A means to escape and be transported to a chemical nirvana. A false prophet that does not and will never live up to what I wanted.
Alcohol - sobriety positives- still having a brain and being alive. The ability to squeeze every last moment out of every day that is good, productive, that gives proactive growth? I once heard in a movie something along the lines : Do you want to know how to truly destroy a man? Give him back something he loves that is broken.
NO, not today- never again with alcohol. I will continue to fix mine, thankyou very much- alcohol monster. Life is a gift. I WILL NEVER, NEVER AGAIN TAKE FOR GRANTED.
Okay, I'll person up - but I don't want to.

Well, all about alcohol, this is an alcohol recovery site. Just saying. I like your take - Life is a gift. Every last moment out of every day. My goal too. Thanks as always, for your infinite wisdom.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Just now leaving work & euphoric recall is creeping in.....not gonna lie, I'd love to go 2 the bar right now. But I don't think my drum teacher would appreciate if I were to show up drunk. Better go to the gym instead.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Gym. Drum. Home.

Get it. Got it. Good.

Hugs!
Old 12-08-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Purp- waves of feeling good and then receding tides of anxiety always haunt me. I am trying to rewire the brain mechanism. In the mean time of my thinking brain logically telling me one thing while the primitive 'me want' part (you know- feeling good? Why not feel BETTER- DRINK!) tells me another. Or when I an overcome with sadness, loneliness, guilt- whatever- I remind myself those thoughts and feelings too shall pass. That the wave and the bad stuff will recede and then I can get the hell on with my day. The gym is a good one- endorphine release, healthy, a distraction, gives a focus. I am doing my gym bit later on when I warms up- so cold this morning I had to wear trakkie-daks instead of shorts at 0500 when I went outside.

Also I would ask all of you over this season to think more kindly to persons with beards. After all Jesus (apparently) had a beard- he had a pretty rough time. Person Christmas- or as some prefer- Patriarch Christmas- has a beard. Granted he probably should be reported to abusing reindeer, midget slave labour and isolating his wife- but person means well.

ho ho ho
Old 12-08-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Stuck in bed with the crud in full force. Woke up at 5 am coughing so much I felt queasy. Had to take a few deep breaths to get that feeling of needing to run to the toilet to settle down. Not fun. Slept until 3:30. Even kept DD home from school because I couldn't get my body to cooperate enough to get her to school. And it's REALLY cold out. Didn't want to leave the house at all. So a "snow" day for her, and a sick day for me. So thankful that she is old enough to let me rest, and help take care of things around the house: fed and watered the animals, let the dog out, made herself some soup for lunch. Good kid I have!

Starting to feel human again, but with nasty head pressure and a headache. The crud is not fun, folks.

DD had D.A.R.E. graduation at school last night. A friend I sat next to told me that her cousin died of an OD the weekend before, so the timing of last night was hitting her hard. The kids looked so cute and innocent. I'd like to think things will stay that way forever, but I know they will face challenges as they grow. Hopefully I can help DD navigate that road. And to do so, I must be sober.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Thanks for the share obviously not-so-(filled-with-crud) clearly headed.
AK- got it-good, got good- good. Great. Don't you find it hard carrying all of those drums around with you to each practice? You must have a truck.
Oh, BTW B- thankyou for your wonderful list of positives. I find it great to read the everyday stuff people find matter to them Kids, pets, cake- normal stuff. I suppose if my biggest gripe is about the non flushers- it is not all that bad. I wonder if there is a community need to teach people the rewarding aspects of toilet flushing?..hmm.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Sorry- CH- prayers to you and your friend- suicide is a terrible event for all affected- directly and indirectly.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Sorry CH!!
How old is your kiddo again (aka how long do I have to wait until I can nap during the day and let kid be self sufficient haha).

Purps is the drummer, not me.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Heading out to dinner and then to see some Christmas lights. There's an amusement park here that does 2km of interactive Christmas lights every year....it's really something to see. Then back to work for me tomorrow....for one day....hardly seems worth it. Lol

I also just realized in my confirmation email from Amazon this afternoon that a gift I ordered for my oldest won't be here until January 12th - annoying
Old 12-08-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

CH - sorry to hear about your friend and I hope you feel better soon!
Old 12-08-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

AK - DD is 9