Notices

Class of March 2016 part 37

Old 12-02-2016, 03:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober date: 20th May 2023

Hey guys. Just checking in. Still sober...huge day at work so going straight to bed. Oh and the dog ate my homework assignment. Lol.. nitey nite all xxx
Old 12-02-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You know Sam's off work when she hasn't posted way before the butt crack of dawn!
Old 12-02-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Dee - I just watched the trailer for The Shack coming out next year - I'm wondering if that's the movie for the book you have referenced before?
Old 12-02-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

People: Me. Really. I had a friend from elementary school. We had been drinking together since we were 14. We are no longer friends. She would be my only trigger as far as people go, but I don't see her anymore. So, I am the people that triggers me the most.

Places- Home alone. I can go to parties and not drink, weddings and other social situations and be the only one not drinking. My worst drinking was home, alone.

Things - isolation.

Mish- that was funny. Good job on staying sober.

Apple- you're very poetic this morning - "butt crack of dawn".

Kayak-To be completely honest, there are people I would rather not see in yoga pants while doing yoga or otherwise.

Purple - Have a great day! Go to the gym after work.

Jemma - small things. I get you. I had (still have somewhere) a shot glass collection from vacations. They used to be on a shelf, proudly displayed, brought out if someone had a good bottle of something. Now they are in a box somewhere. I should throw them away.

Thirteenth-Maybe you should stop thinking about not drinking and just focus on being your best you. Make a schedule. Get exercise in your day, some meditation, one good deed ( can be small - my favorite is helping an elderly person put their groceries in a cart). I think your obsession about quitting has turned into a trigger for you.

Phoenix- Hope you get some wonderful sleep - you deserve it!

Have a freaking awesome Friday, people! I'm going to - I promise!
Old 12-02-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I turn poetic when mombie mode is full force.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think I might read The Shack, has anyone read it?
Old 12-02-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Bobbie - Good one with "me". I bet that is really true for most of us. Me being me is a trigger - OCD and a perfectionist.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I posted this in November yesterday and wanted to re-post here too. It's helping me to do a little work each morning on SR or RE, but my daughter isn't napping so I'm just reviewing:

I just listened to the beginning of Recovery Elevator Podcast 91 and he reviewed his steps to staying sober through the holidays. I wanted to copy/paste because I really enjoyed many of them! The notes are mostly his and a few of mine as well.

12 Ways to Stay Sober Through the Holidays:

1. Meditation – It doesn't just have to be sitting in silence with yourself, either. All of the following activities have a meditative and creative quality; guitar, piano, painting, woodwork, organizing, stuffing envelopes, whatever it is for you. Set a time and chill-out for 10 minutes. Use the "Headspace App."

2. Water – Hydrate! First thing I do in the morning is drink about 35 oz of lemon water. Sounds like a lot but many people wake up and immediately have coffee. Try water!

3. Give yourself a Hall Pass! I planned on eating 70% of the pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving Dinner this year.

4. Exercise for 10 min during the first hour of the day. Stretch, do band work, and pushups. Studies show those who exercise even a little at the start of the day feel better, and sleep better that night.

5. Practice visualization. I practice saying no to drinks and practice making good decisions in my sobriety. Actually picture yourself/your response to the inevitable offer of drinks.

6. Tell someone no and put yourself first. Be selfish in some of those decisions. Skip the partner's holiday party.

7. Shovel snow or push dirt around. Think, “Service, service, service.” The best way to get yourself out of a funky mindset is to help someone else. Shovel your neighbors driveway. Post on a newcomer's post.

8. Talk to yourself. "Grab the mic." Cheer yourself on, boost yourself up. While driving, give yourself a pep talk. It's like having your own Tony Robbins inside your head.

9. Start doing something small and then in two years tell me how much of a difference that has made in your life. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Put $50 in a savings account and watch it build (drinking money!).

10. Be the turtle and not the hare. I’m playing the long game. Stop going for instant gratification and realize your choices are for bettering your future.

11. Connect with your Community daily – whatever that may be. SR, AA, Community RE.

12. Share. Share how you're doing it. Share your goodies. Share your gadgets. Sharing is caring.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great list, Applekat. You are compiling so much information in that brain of yours, one day you will be able to write your own recovery book.

I haven't read The Shack. My list of books to read is getting big. lol
Old 12-02-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hey guys! Thanks Bobbie for the reminder.....yes I made it to the gym after work. I needed that!

Thanks Apple for that awesome list....it has been added to my toolbox

I hope everyone is doing okay.....this weekend marks the 1 year anniversary since the death of Scott Weiland....I know some people don't have the greatest things to say about him, but he was one of my favorites. I shall be determined to keep his music alive!
Old 12-02-2016, 03:32 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi all!! Well my day off was a bust! Laid in bed in a dark room fighting a migraine all day....I don't get them often but when I do they eat up an entire 24 hours! Finally out of bed now...it's not completely gone....still nagging...but it's better. I haven't even broken 1000 steps if that's any indication.

I've caught up on all the posts but still haven't done my homework...hopefully tonight

Well I am off to attempt to eat something. Oh and I love yoga pants....they are the best creation ever!!
Old 12-02-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Good to see you, Sam! Sorry you're not feeling well.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Sam- MIGRAINES SUCK. empathy for you, THEY SUCK. and THEY SUCK

People- did it matter? I drank because someone stressed me out- they might have said good morning to me last out of 4 people, so obviously that meant they did not like me. I probably did not like them anyway, but you wouldn't understand anyway- I am different.
I would drink if someone was promoted, got married, died,I know people who would have a 'vegemite party' to celebrate finishing their first jar of the stuff in a new house.
Places/things- a quiet spot in the hills in my car. Driving to a nice spot in the hills. Driving back from... In public toilets- "just going to the toilet (via the bottle shop dear) when shopping. At the back of a train. On the beach. My lounge. The outside drinking chair. 9/11 live after finishing a night shift. Photos of things/places and people no longer in my life. Christmas, NYE, Because I was alone. TO STAY ALONE AND DRINK.

Perhaps you guys could organise a special yoga pants therapy online class.
Do you guys have the 'builder's crack' thing there?
Old 12-02-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks for this Apple!!

People - My boss/co-workers - My industry revolves around drinking...everything is a reason to drink and it's the chosen "down time" activity at the end of a long, hard day (and they are all long, hard days) An example - we were recently deciding on a management holiday outing - we decided to go see a movie together at a specific movie theater because it serves alcohol.... My coping skill for this has been to not go in the past....this can't always be avoided though, especially this season, so I have been telling everyone that I am cleansing and can't drink. I need to get better at just saying "I'm not drinking" and not worry about explaining myself to people

Place - Work....yep a theme is emerging. The stress from my work is often a trigger for me to go home, isolate myself and drink. I have been successful in the past at minimizing this through meditating, yoga, eating well and going to the tea store on the way home instead of the liquor store....I am less likely to throw away a good, healthy day and give in to my AV after a day of healthy options and taking care of myself

Thing - Sleep....this is a horrid cycle...I drink to sleep and then don't sleep well because I drink. Ever since I stopped taking my sleeping pills every night my sleep has gotten progressively better. To avoid falling into the cycle I really just have to tell myself that I will sleep better eventually without drinking...and the morning will be better too
Old 12-02-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Guru- when I cannot sleep I just cruise here.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

That's another great coping technique PJ - thanks!!

Tea today from the advent calendar is "Serenity Now" - kind of berry-ish and sweet
Old 12-02-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

"Do you like my yoga pants?"
Old 12-02-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I enjoyed reading everyone's responses and can relate to so many of them!!

Home from a kiddos bday party. Got to see new kid's movie, Moana. No stopping for wine on the way home. I wish I could say my reward would be a good nights sleep but that isn't happening at all here. Hangover-free morning tomorrow though.

Closing out day 5.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
I think I might read The Shack, has anyone read it?
Yeah I did - it's one of those rare books that changed my life
Highly recommended.

D
Old 12-02-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Yeah I did - it's one of those rare books that changed my life
Highly recommended.

D
Well, then. The Shack goes to the top of my list of things to read.

Good night, class. Have sweet, sober dreams. ❤️❤️