Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 12-01-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Day 17.
Like SWTPEA, I also want to thank my online family for all the support. I know I'm only at the start of this journey but I don't think I would have come this far if I had not found SR.
Had tried SMART meetings before during the summer but it really didn't work for me.
SR and all you guys are awesome. Thanks for your understanding and encouragement. Xx
Old 12-01-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

We are clocking up those days!
badgerden day 16, AppleKat day 4, EddyS day 6, ingeborg day 23, Solly 2 weeks, Illuminate day 12. Just to mention a few.
Steely, big
How you doing Sunflower. Thinking of you. X
Well done to everybody. X
Old 12-01-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Assignment! (Cross-posted in my March class - double accountability for me!)

Identify at least one people (group), place, and thing that remind you of your drinking and can be a big trigger. For each, describe a coping skill - how you can deal with the trigger if you can't avoid it.

People - High school friends that we meet up with over the holidays. It is almost inevitable that it is treated as a drinking gathering. My plan this month is to suggest a lunch for those couple of gatherings, bring my children, or simply tell them "I'm not drinking today."

Place - Restaurants. I very rarely go out for dinner (babysitter needed, lol) so when I do, I feel I deserve a glass of wine. That turns into two glasses plus a stop on the way home for a magnum sized bottle. Which turns into at least two nights of drinking. I have already turned down my husband's Christmas dinner. Avoidance where possible. If there is another dinner this month I plan to post on SR, and go in planning to order a diet coke if I can't skip it.

Thing - Tradition. Such as, opening a bottle of red after we put up the Christmas tree. Wine while addressing Christmas cards. Wine while wrapping presents. This is tricky. This month is full of "tradition". I guess it is time to create new traditions. Reminding myself that these traditions can be ruined by the wine. New teas, hot chocolates, or desserts perhaps. Work in progress.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

I just listened to the beginning of Recovery Elevator Podcast 91 and he reviewed his steps to staying sober through the holidays. I wanted to copy/paste because I really enjoyed many of them! The notes are mostly his and a few of mine as well.

12 Ways to Stay Sober Through the Holidays:

1. Meditation – It doesn't just have to be sitting in silence with yourself, either. All of the following activities have a meditative and creative quality; guitar, piano, painting, woodwork, organizing, stuffing envelopes, whatever it is for you. Set a time and chill-out for 10 minutes. Use the "Headspace App."

2. Water – Hydrate! First thing I do in the morning is drink about 35 oz of lemon water. Sounds like a lot but many people wake up and immediately have coffee. Try water!

3. Give yourself a Hall Pass! I planned on eating 70% of the pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving Dinner this year.

4. Exercise for 10 min during the first hour of the day. Stretch, do band work, and pushups. Studies show those who exercise even a little at the start of the day feel better, and sleep better that night.

5. Practice visualization. I practice saying no to drinks and practice making good decisions in my sobriety. Actually picture yourself/your response to the inevitable offer of drinks.

6. Tell someone no and put yourself first. Be selfish in some of those decisions. Skip the partner's holiday party.

7. Shovel snow or push dirt around. Think, “Service, service, service.” The best way to get yourself out of a funky mindset is to help someone else. Shovel your neighbors driveway. Post on a newcomer's post.

8. Talk to yourself. "Grab the mic." Cheer yourself on, boost yourself up. While driving, give yourself a pep talk. It's like having your own Tony Robbins inside your head.

9. Start doing something small and then in two years tell me how much of a difference that has made in your life. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Put $50 in a savings account and watch it build (drinking money!).

10. Be the turtle and not the hare. I’m playing the long game. Stop going for instant gratification and realize your choices are for bettering your future.

11. Connect with your Community daily – whatever that may be. SR, AA, Community RE.

12. Share. Share how you're doing it. Share your goodies. Share your gadgets. Sharing is caring.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

The November group reaches December, woot! I am determined to stay with this group as long as I possibly can. Day 12 here.

Sorry to tell you Illuminate, but your with us for life, so get used to it.

I woke up around 2 am, all agitated from my work day. All employees (20, where everybody knows everybody and everybody's business) where given 6 packets, in each packet was a survey, where you are to evaluate our supervisors and bosses, on a 1-5 scale, various questions regarding their leadership skills, how they handle situations etc. Than we are to be interviewed by a third party group, individually and go over our supposedly confidential and anonymous survey, did I mention we are to sign it? Any way I can see repercussions and conflicts all over this little project, got myself all worked up over it. Anyhow I got myself calmed down and back to sleep, definately not going to drink over it, but would like your thoughts on the situation.

Happy day, Nobenders!!!!!
Badge
Old 12-01-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Applecat Love your list! I may print it off and keep it with me if thats okay?

Badge
Old 12-01-2016, 08:12 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

It's not my list, it's Paul Churchill's from the Recovery Elevator Team (I listened to his podcast 91 this morning). But yeah, I was thinking about printing it out too! The more resources I have this month particularly, the better!!

Now to implement a few of those seemingly easy ones, lol. Work it!
Old 12-01-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Smile Making a plan

Good Morning all.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Smile

Yesterday was the first day I decided to take steps to quit drinking. I joined this site, bought 2 books, and read several articles about alcohol addiction. A couple of the articles said to not start during the week but to begin Sunday or Monday. The book I’m reading “kick the drink easily” says not to stop drinking until I finish this book. So, I’ve been drinking for 12 hrs and I have a lot of the book still to go. Lol, not really. Seriously I think I can finish this book by Monday so I guess that’s when I will begin. I guess everyone is different but does this sound about right to you?
Old 12-01-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Hi Curtis, I think everyone stops their addictions in their own fashion. It is really a positive step you have taken gathering information and taking it seriously. I personally couldn't "not" stop drinking until I finished the book, that would give my AV one more round of ammunition to shoot at me. Lets play the tape forward and think on it this way, your on day 2 of not drinking right? Monday you will be at the 6 day mark look at that way!

Badge
Old 12-01-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badgerden View Post
The November group reaches December, woot! I am determined to stay with this group as long as I possibly can. Day 12 here.

Sorry to tell you Illuminate, but your with us for life, so get used to it.

I woke up around 2 am, all agitated from my work day. All employees (20, where everybody knows everybody and everybody's business) where given 6 packets, in each packet was a survey, where you are to evaluate our supervisors and bosses, on a 1-5 scale, various questions regarding their leadership skills, how they handle situations etc. Than we are to be interviewed by a third party group, individually and go over our supposedly confidential and anonymous survey, did I mention we are to sign it? Any way I can see repercussions and conflicts all over this little project, got myself all worked up over it. Anyhow I got myself calmed down and back to sleep, definately not going to drink over it, but would like your thoughts on the situation.

Happy day, Nobenders!!!!!
Badge
360 Reviews!
I remember those, I had to send all my employees to our closest location so they could complete them anonymously. Twice, since the computers went down the first day. An outside company dealt with summarizing all the results and a week or so later I received the reports. I had a great team so I was pleased with my review, but I know some of the other managers and directors were not happy. At all.
The review that was used included comment options, not so "anonymous" when you have less than 40 employees reviewing your performance.

I'm surprised your reviews/surveys require an interview, and a signature.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thecurtis56 View Post
Yesterday was the first day I decided to take steps to quit drinking. I joined this site, bought 2 books, and read several articles about alcohol addiction. A couple of the articles said to not start during the week but to begin Sunday or Monday. The book I’m reading “kick the drink easily” says not to stop drinking until I finish this book. So, I’ve been drinking for 12 hrs and I have a lot of the book still to go. Lol, not really. Seriously I think I can finish this book by Monday so I guess that’s when I will begin. I guess everyone is different but does this sound about right to you?
NO!
Curtis! Quit cheating! 😠

LOL! Nice try, though.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Good morning/afternoon all! Quick check-in for me.

Finally able to sleep last night without waking up a million times. Feeling much better today on Day #4.

Congrats to everyone making it through another day! Onward together

Applekat... I printed off your list... Love it!
Old 12-01-2016, 09:07 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Thank you StarStarStar for replying, I have never done them before, I am not sure where the inteviews will take place, I know we have to go to the boss's door and sign up for a time. this whole thing just sounds wrong,,

Badge
Old 12-01-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Love this

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
I just listened to the beginning of Recovery Elevator Podcast 91 and he reviewed his steps to staying sober through the holidays. I wanted to copy/paste because I really enjoyed many of them! The notes are mostly his and a few of mine as well.

12 Ways to Stay Sober Through the Holidays:

1. Meditation – It doesn't just have to be sitting in silence with yourself, either. All of the following activities have a meditative and creative quality; guitar, piano, painting, woodwork, organizing, stuffing envelopes, whatever it is for you. Set a time and chill-out for 10 minutes. Use the "Headspace App."

2. Water – Hydrate! First thing I do in the morning is drink about 35 oz of lemon water. Sounds like a lot but many people wake up and immediately have coffee. Try water!

3. Give yourself a Hall Pass! I planned on eating 70% of the pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving Dinner this year.

4. Exercise for 10 min during the first hour of the day. Stretch, do band work, and pushups. Studies show those who exercise even a little at the start of the day feel better, and sleep better that night.

5. Practice visualization. I practice saying no to drinks and practice making good decisions in my sobriety. Actually picture yourself/your response to the inevitable offer of drinks.

6. Tell someone no and put yourself first. Be selfish in some of those decisions. Skip the partner's holiday party.

7. Shovel snow or push dirt around. Think, “Service, service, service.” The best way to get yourself out of a funky mindset is to help someone else. Shovel your neighbors driveway. Post on a newcomer's post.

8. Talk to yourself. "Grab the mic." Cheer yourself on, boost yourself up. While driving, give yourself a pep talk. It's like having your own Tony Robbins inside your head.

9. Start doing something small and then in two years tell me how much of a difference that has made in your life. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Put $50 in a savings account and watch it build (drinking money!).

10. Be the turtle and not the hare. I’m playing the long game. Stop going for instant gratification and realize your choices are for bettering your future.

11. Connect with your Community daily – whatever that may be. SR, AA, Community RE.

12. Share. Share how you're doing it. Share your goodies. Share your gadgets. Sharing is caring.
Thank you Applekat,
This is a great list! Very easy to do everything.
I could add one.
13. If you are feeling overwhelmed by your to-do list, pick one thing everyday to accomplish and get it done.
Dont focus on the whole picture
Old 12-01-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

People/place

[QUOTE=Applekat;6227634]Assignment! (Cross-posted in my March class - double accountability for me!)

Identify at least one people (group), place, and thing that remind you of your drinking and can be a big trigger. For each, describe a coping skill - how you can deal with the trigger if you can't avoid it.

My biggest trigger is going over to my sisters; where I can both freely drink and smoke without judgement.
She is my best friend, so I obviously cant avoid her.
She is presently on reduced work hours due to pain, so going out is neither practical nor affordable.
She isnt comfortable around my husband and is reluctant to come to my house.
I will have to strengthen my quit muscles over the next few months while abroad.
We will be home intermittently, so I will have to figure out something.
I am hoping that by middle of April when I return for the summer that I will have a handle on sobriety.
For now I am safely sober/smoke free.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Hey Curtis, I don't know anything about the book you're reading but I have found in the past that it only worked for me to stop when I knew I needed to. Lots of positive feelings and confidence I'd made the right decision were present, because I really viscerally wanted to stop. I know that every time I projected to a future quit date, I sabotaged. Everyone is different but I think you'll find the general consensus is just quit now
Old 12-01-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Applekat - thanks for sharing this list. I printed it out and will be doing some of these today. I think this will be a great tool to use when visiting family for the holidays.

Day 9 today! This is the 2nd longest period I've been sober in the last 18 years. This forum has been such a help to me the past 9 days. Thanks to everyone here for sharing and being so supportive.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

I just received notification from Amazon of a new edition release.
I think I might order it for my Kindle.
I think you might like this book – "Addictive Thinking: Understanding Self-Deception" by Abraham J Twerski.

Start reading it for free: http://amzn.to/2gQihNd
Old 12-01-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Checking in Nobenders! I've got a simple question for you...are your day counts referring to sobriety or complete abstinence?