Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 11-29-2016, 03:39 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
Part of the reason why I drank I think, avoidance of self. My self was/is battered to the clappers, esteem, confidence, shame, fear, ad infinitum, anger.....neg neg neg.
I found this out as well. I drank both for pleasure and as a coping mechanism for **** that went on in my earlier life. I am seeing a therapist now and just starting to look behind the curtain. I've done just enough to both see how scary it is, and how freeing it can be.

===

I am feeling much better today after some good sleep. As I get older, I am slowly realizing how important sleep is to my well-being. And alcohol-induced insomnia was definitely the major factor in my downturn in mental and physical health over the years. Getting a good night's sleep is now a major priority in my life.

The other thing I have been noticing is that when I drank, every good I was doing in my life stops...almost immediately. Exercise, reading, cleaning, hygiene, spending time with my kids, showing up to work on time, all if just stops because drinking becomes the priority in my life. Just one more reason to never drink again.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Day 4 today. Slept real good last night. It's going to be raining here today and tomorrow - I'll be on the road today for work. Hope everyone has a nice day.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:59 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Yep, JF- sleep helps heaps.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post

The other thing I have been noticing is that when I drank, every good I was doing in my life stops...almost immediately. Exercise, reading, cleaning, hygiene, spending time with my kids, showing up to work on time, all if just stops because drinking becomes the priority in my life. Just one more reason to never drink again.
Well said, and I agree. Everything else stopped. In fact, the only exercise I was doing (walking), was done in the vain hope that I could sweat out some of the alcohol, and clear my head from the hangover. Which I then used as permission to once again head to the bar.

What a cruel cycle. Thanks for sharing that; a nice little light bulb moment for me this morning.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
I love how you fella's say "dang". I thought it was only in the movies. Fair dinkum.
I'm originally from North Carolina and yes, I say "dang" and "dang it" regularly, especially when I'm around kids or people I don't curse in front of. I use it to replace "damn". Now, in Michigan where I currently live, I don't hear it.

(NC is famous for BBQ)
Old 11-29-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Good morning to you all. I made it thru day one. Slept okay but not great. Just happy to have day one in the bank.
A good day to you all out there.

asixstringnut
Old 11-29-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
Jazzfish I can soooo relate to that!!!
Old 11-29-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Really well put jazzfish. I remember when I first stopped back in 2013 (first attempt ever since I was 12 years old!) I had made the pros and cons list, in a way. I made two 'cons' lists though, strangely enough. I listed all the reasons to quit vs all the reasons not to. There were NO reasons not to quit hahahaha! The list of 'cons' that went with keeping up drinking was long.

When I'm not drinking I'm introspective, I manage my weight much easier, I sleep and dream normally, I have a strong appetite with little to no guilt attached, I am not tempted to smoke cigarettes, the trials and tribulations of life are not crippling they are manageable (if THIS were the only reason I had to quit it would be worth it, I was born under a bad sign it seems and it's much easier to roll with the punches when I'm emotionally stable and well rested), I immediately become prolific artistically...... there's a list of 'pros' for y'all
Old 11-29-2016, 07:11 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Hey all - happy day to you.

I'm just dipping in and out trying to keep up!

Lulu - I had the sleepless thing too - was my main withdrawal symptom. Last night (night 3) I slept the whole way through.

What I found with the sleepless nights was just to go with the flow. If anybody was watching the lights go on and off in my apartment they'd have thought I was having a very slow-moving techno party.

If I couldn't sleep in the bed, I'd move to.the couch and chill. Make some tea, read a bit, maybe go back to bed, or else see if I could sleep on the couch. I actually found the couch better for getting comfortable as I was tossing and turning in bed, but could just curl up on the couch with a duvet, pillows and hot water bottle.

This will pass soon and there's so many good things to come.

For all the nobenders - be kind to yourselves!
Old 11-29-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! I don't have a lot of time to write in depth but this morning something huge happened. After yet another incident where my husband drove drunk with the kids in the car this weekend he actually came to me and broke down in tears and said he didn't want to drink anymore. I never expected those words to come out of his mouth but I am elated. I now have a partner to support me in this endeavor which means the world to me as you all know. I now also have someone to support and that's all I ever wanted was to see him be his best and me of course be my best as well. The craziest thing about the timing of this is that I was going to sit him down and tell him that if that ever happens again I was going to leave him and take the kids with me, conversation I did not want to have.I dumped out all of the wine in the house and we are both starting fresh today at day one. I obviously screwed up over Thanksgiving and I own that. Anyway I will chime in again later I have a long day of traveling and probably won't get to my hotel till about six tonight but I can't wait to catch up and see how all of you are doing. Much love
Old 11-29-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Wow Sunflower that is huge.

I'm also in a relationship with someone who recently broke down and told me he wants to quit. We are all in this together. I'm interested to see what it will be like sharing the recovery life with someone IRL.

Stay close!
  # 172 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 1 asixstringnut!

Oh - and as for noises being annoying! I swear the guy on the bicycle a mile away sounded like a revving motorbike inside my room. I also got those audio hallucinations so even listening to white noise going "hmmmmm", my brain would go "hmmmmm - ba dum - hmmmm ba ba di dum - hmmmmm BA DA DA DA BUM DA BA BOP TISH".

That was a lot of fun trying to drown out that noisy far-away cyclist!

Day 4 today and it feels like a long journey. But it hasn't been a bad one. More... interesting!

Edit to add - great news for you both sunflowerlife and Plenny!

(This site is going to make my Autocorrect explode!!)
  # 173 (permalink)  

Wow, that is a big step forward for you and your sobriety journey, Sunflower. A turning point. Good for you two!
Old 11-29-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
Wow Sunflower that is huge.

I'm also in a relationship with someone who recently broke down and told me he wants to quit. We are all in this together. I'm interested to see what it will be like sharing the recovery life with someone IRL.

Stay close!
That is amazing! I wish you both a lot of strength in this endeavor
Old 11-29-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Wow, that is a big step forward for you and your sobriety journey, Sunflower. A turning point. Good for you two!
Thanks Apple! i'm really still in shock over it as I have rarely seen him cry. I hugged him but he did not want to talk about it at all, almost like he didn't know how to except my love.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

As happy as I am about this I'm also terrified. This means I can't fail. This means I have to quit drinking for good. I refuse to enable him by drinking around him or tempt him in anyway because those are the things he did to me which created a lot of resentment and I have to be a better person than that. I seriously have no choice but to get sober and that scares the living daylights out of me even though I know it's something that I want and need to do. Man my head is all over the place right now, please bare with me.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

And to you two as well.

We are seeing each other for the first time since Thanksgiving bender today. The last time I saw him I was letting him stay in my bed all day hiding from the guilt and the horror that he had blacked out and lost control of his actions. We are trying to plan our sober Christmas vacation to visit his family. Yikes
Old 11-29-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Stormi Normi That is awesome you lost 15lbs and quit smoking! Unfortunately, I did quit quitting for a while. I "didn't have a problem".

Cat1961 I know what you mean by not having motivation. I got so sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I do hope to lose some weight, but I am putting sobriety first. If I am having a crappy day, I will allow myself to drown myself in chocolate if it will make me feel better. Even if it means more calories than wine. With time, I will focus more and more on eating healthy, but for now I will give into the sugar cravings.

Speaking of cravings, I am right there with Truthbetold on the coffee front. My intake has increased dramatically!

Kimmy Congrats on 2 week!

Plenny I'm sure it's a difficult decision to take a break from your BF It is absolutely normal for you to be hurt. There is a possibility they may have thought you would rather not be involved. I can see people assuming that about myself (but in my case they'd be right) Still, they could've asked..

Welcome New Nobenders!!!

Steely at 30! Really coming along. Good job going back for your money! That is something I would have real embarassment/ difficulty doing as well. Be proud! Also, I am sorry about you losing your mother. Mine passed a couple of years ago, and I am still having a very difficult time with it.

Heather Salmon, hummus, avocado... Yummazeballs

Wow this class is really pumping! I'm having a hard time keeping up. I am literally here reading the thread on my phone, typing on my iPad.

I am on day 9. It is not unusual for me to go a week at a time without drinking, but it has been quite a while since I've gone this long. I slept almost 6hr solid last night and you'd think I'd wake up refreshed but I am extra tired.

I found a really cool free app called "Nomo". It's a sobriety clock. Not only does it keep track of your time up to the minute, but you earn chips. There are also other simple, easily accessible tools such as the "refocus" tab that has exercises to redirect your attention if your mind starts to slip. There is a check-in button you can press as often as you like. Not that it really does anything but make a sound, but personally it makes me feel encouraged every time. Just thought I'd share.

Well I'll conclude this novel for now and hope everyone has a great day!
Old 11-29-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Can't wait to see his handsome face.

But yes a break was much needed
Old 11-29-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Amazing news Sunflower!