Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 11-27-2016, 02:56 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I'm sure it was the beast Dee! He heard me telling the boys where we were going, escaped my brain, ran to the supermarket, got a beer and put it in my path! Conniving little so and so!
Old 11-27-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

The important thing is you're hitting the sack sober miramira

Congrats on your milestones today guys
Old 11-27-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hard night last night with our friend's funeral. Everyone was in such disbelief. Fiancé was very close to him,l. I saw my love cry for the first time. That was hard. I want to take away his pain and i cant...

Ended up going to the local bar afterwards to celebrate his life. (I celebrated with diet coke) Stayed up too late and at work early this morning. Though I was happy to give my inebriated friends a safe ride home.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Miramira View Post
I'm sure it was the beast Dee! He heard me telling the boys where we were going, escaped my brain, ran to the supermarket, got a beer and put it in my path! Conniving little so and so!
LOL when i quit back in January, I was still finding my secret stash of vodka everywhere in my bedroom for WEEKS!! (Obviously hid it when I was too drunk to remember!!) Takes HUGE will power to tip it out but you have to do what you have to do. Ignore the poison x
Old 11-27-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hey all

I think I belong in here now! After a lot of support (and moaning from my side), I am sitting in Day 2 now - something I had pretty much lost faith in ever reaching (I couldn't reach Day 1 for the last few years! )

Just popping in to say hi. I need - NEED - to fill my days, so I'm going to try and start getting busy as my life pretty much revolved completely around drinking.

I was at a meeting today and didn't realise the meaning of a Recovery Plan. Said to one of the guys - "my plan is to buy some groceries" - just meaning that this was something I was going to do during the day. He looked at me like I was bonkers - "THAT'S your Plan!?! )
Old 11-27-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
Morning guys, day 2 does feel a little better than Day 1. But I need to get into action now. I'm going to tidy the house after my last bender. It stinks of booze and makes me reel. I'm going to change my bedsheets too-despite it being a Sunday and apparently bad luck to change them on a Sunday. I feel safe that I won't drink the next couple of days. Wednesday is my big test day. I have a meeting in the office then and work from home on Thursday. It seems like Wednesdays are when I feel better enough to forget how awful I feel from the last time and the AV rears its head.
I feel you. For me, it was always a Friday that would be my biggest test. I'd made it through the workweek sober, I felt better, and it was Friday! Time to drink!!

What helped (and granted, I'm only 4 weeks in) that first Friday, was to make a plan for Saturday morning that I truly wanted to enjoy. I always used to visit a local state park, and loved it there. So I planned to wake up early, and make the hour drive so that I was there when it opened, and could hike in relative solitude. By planning it out like an adventure, I was looking forward to it. And yes, come Thursday afternoon, and Friday morning, the AV was talking again. But I thought about my adventure, and how there would be no way I could do it if I drank, about how miserable I would be in the morning, how disappointed I would be in myself if I missed this, and also how wonderful it was going to be sober!

So I held on to that idea. Made it through the day, and through the night. Made it to the state park 5 minutes after the gates opened on Saturday morning, and enjoyed some of the most wonderfully sober moments in a long time.

So, my advice, make a plan for Thursday morning that you find positive. That you know drinking would ruin.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Morning Everyone. Day 2 here. Slept good last night, not perfect but good. Tomorrow I'm headed back to work after a month - I've been home with a broken foot (non drunk related injury). I can't drink. I just have to plug through. The more I think about it the more I was on a bender while I've been home. Anyway, everyone have a good day.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Just to sort of summarise something I posted in another thread which helped me a lot and hopefully may help some of you guys.

So, yesterday was my first full day and night sober in years. I went to some AA meetings in the evening and then sat at home battling that "go ahead and drink fight" that I had always given into just to shut it up. I was so miserable and considering just giving in.

I was looking at a small tiny little "Just for today" pamphlet thing that I'd got in AA. Out of desperation. There was a quote:

"Just for Today I will be happy. Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be".

I read that and figured - FFS. I am sitting here doing EXACTLY what I desperately prayed for and EXACTLY what I thought that I couldn't do. I should be over the fecking moon!! And that was the end of the internal argument for the night - and I actually did feel happy!

Ok - that was a pretty long summary but it put things into perspective a bit for me.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Day 5

Waking up to the beginning of Day 5 and feeling better and better as each day goes by. I could not help but think about any of you here going through the first 24-48 hours. It's the toughest time getting through that initial time period but it is so worth it. Be strong and you'll love the change in your life.

Plenny - my routine was rather the same with drinking immediately after work. I either brought a beer and stashed it in the work refrigerator or grabbed a pack at the carry out around the corner. Then continued drinking until I went to bed.

Trees39 - congrats on the day 12 and having such a positive attitude

sadsadgirl - congrats on the day 2 and just wait for day 3 - it gets better! Yesterday morning I changed my bed sheets since I don't remember the last time it was done. It really put me into a good nights sleep last night.

Miramira - all I can say is That is one bizarre happening. I was experiencing a lot of drinking in my dreams last night. It was all revolving around stashing beers so I could drink them later. The last dream was having one beer stashed to drink before I visited my Mom. I never did pop the top because I told myself if I had that one I would want more and more.

bblackbirdfly - so sorry about the friend passing and experiencing a funeral. That is never anything pleasant to endure. On the other hand, I commend you for being the DD while being surrounded by all the other drinkers.

Nic233 - I'm sure I'll pull out a few stashed beers somewhere around here someday. I'm not one to waste any alcohol but they'll definately be dumped down the drain.

Dee - for being our "Rock"

Time for me to get ready for work. I'll have the next two days off and will be the first days off sober in quite some time. Can't wait to get a bunch of stuff accomplished!

Everyone have a safe and sober day!
Old 11-27-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

MellowHeather and AceinNj - welcome to Day 2! Glad you made it through the first 24!
Old 11-27-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm new in here and I can't believe I've decided to register.
Day 2 in progress, I'm scared to death and I don't even know if I'll make it.
Reading your posts helps me a lot.
See you tomorrow, wish me good luck.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Yesterday I told my mom about my "problem", she got sober when she was my age and didn't drink for almost a decade, then started again and stopped a few years ago when she had a household "accident" because of the booze. She knows the drill. Still it was weird sharing that info.

Sobriety makes me thankful for:
  • One less thing to worry about having in the house.
Now I just need to make sure I have heavy cream on hand. Because coffee and heavy cream is my breakfast! I don't do well without, lol.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Koala777 View Post
I'm new in here and I can't believe I've decided to register.
Day 2 in progress, I'm scared to death and I don't even know if I'll make it.
Reading your posts helps me a lot.
See you tomorrow, wish me good luck.
Good luck! I noticed your location...I used to live in Montreal. My favorite city! I'm new too, Day 6 today. Moment by moment is sometimes the best way to approach something like this. Otherwise it does seem too big. But that is an illusion. You can do it!
Old 11-27-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thanks cchick, bravo for your Day 6!

I'm from Montreal indeed .
Old 11-27-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I'm somewhere in my first few days/week but I'm not counting. I like to think of myself as someone who doesn't drink. I'm avoiding all situations that might create anxiety by just spending my days in bed reading books, drinking tea, eating loads of comfort food and resting both my mind and body. Focusing on anything else right now would be counterproductive. For me.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi Koala!

I was so scared when I registered, too. I felt better after I stopped reading that "what to expect during your first week" thread. For me it was sort of like using Google to search a symptom when not feeling well - I'd search "headache" and be convinced I was dying of an inoperable brain tumor.

I'm sure we all differ on what's scary about stopping drinking, though.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MellowHeather View Post
Hey all

I think I belong in here now! After a lot of support (and moaning from my side), I am sitting in Day 2 now - something I had pretty much lost faith in ever reaching (I couldn't reach Day 1 for the last few years! )

Just popping in to say hi. I need - NEED - to fill my days, so I'm going to try and start getting busy as my life pretty much revolved completely around drinking.

I was at a meeting today and didn't realise the meaning of a Recovery Plan. Said to one of the guys - "my plan is to buy some groceries" - just meaning that this was something I was going to do during the day. He looked at me like I was bonkers - "THAT'S your Plan!?! )
Congratulations on Day 2!

I plan like you do! Anything more would leave me overwhelmed at this stage. Buying groceries is enough in these first days, in my opinion. Just avoiding the wine aisle can take quite a bit of effort.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

cchick - Almost a week?! You've got this!
Old 11-27-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

You're doing so well, cat! Enjoy every second of your 2 days off, you deserve it. *hugs*
Old 11-27-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. I'm new here, but I've come here often in the past to read posts, looking for others I can relate to. I'm on day 2 and it's a bit rocky, emotionally. I've been battling this disease for quite some time, and the longest stretch of sobriety for me was 18 months. I'm determined to get back on the horse for good.

In the past few months, I've suffered a fractured/dislocated ankle due to a fall while intoxicated. And my wife of 3 years filed for divorce not long after that. She was immediately involved with another man before the divorce was finalized and they plan on moving away together soon. It's been devastating for me, but I think that by coming here, I'm taking a step in the right direction.