Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 11-30-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladyshipwreck View Post
Good morning

I really don't feel comfortable yet telling everyone "I have a problem" but I guess I think that the more raw honesty I can put forth in my efforts, the greater my success will be. I am willing to step out of my comfort zone and risk feeling embarrassed momentarily in exchange for the lessened likelihood of someone tempting me into making a bad decision. I don't have to scream it from the rooftops but I think it's necessary to inform those closest to me of the real reasons I am choosing to do this, and to let them know it's not temporary or negotiable. I hate letting people down but it has to be me first on this.
Yes!
Old 11-30-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Maybe a dumb question, but what is an AV?
Old 11-30-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thecurtis56 View Post
Addicted Voice
Old 11-30-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Day 31, not out.

You are in the right place thecurtis. Welcome.

Sunflower, when I used to have those thoughts I would tell myself that I could have that wine *tomorrow*, which helped in removing the urgency. It calmed me a bit, gave me a window.

Really thrilled to see your name up there starstarstar.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
Watch the movie called Smashed... It's about wife who quits and hubby who doesn't. Pretty good flick.
I'll check that out... Thanks!
Old 11-30-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

I am new to this site. Hopefully this is the right place to say Hi.
Welcome aboard!
Old 11-30-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
I am really struggling today. Got finished with work early and my AV is trying to convince me to grab lunch and a glass of wine. I don't want to do it. It's that "one last time" bs and it's killing me.
I am going to go eat since it's noon and I haven't eaten yet.then I have a 2.5 hour drive home. I have tons of recovery podcasts to listen to. I am sure I will feel better afterward I eat and just get on the road, I just need to stay away from any place that sells wine. Help please...
Hang in there Sunflower... You can do this!! Remember H.A.L.T.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. I am on day two and I am so glad that I found this forum. I am in a place where I fee like I have no other options but to quit drinking or die. Monday night, was passed out, in my parking lot with the car still on. And when my wife found me and woke me up, I yelled at her and tried to drive off but thankfully she withstood me and prevented me. This event has traumatized her so that I don't know if she is going to stay with me. Regardless if she does or not, I've never been so determined to let that day be the last day I put alcohol in my mouth again. Only on day two but it feels like I've been reborn.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Thank goodness,, another aussie up and about truely. Hi from NSW.

It is like being reborn trelly. A brand new life

There will be struggle, but nothing like the struggle and hardship that we have put ourselves through drinking.

Warmest welcome.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
I am really struggling today. Got finished with work early and my AV is trying to convince me to grab lunch and a glass of wine. I don't want to do it. It's that "one last time" bs and it's killing me.
I am going to go eat since it's noon and I haven't eaten yet.then I have a 2.5 hour drive home. I have tons of recovery podcasts to listen to. I am sure I will feel better afterward I eat and just get on the road, I just need to stay away from any place that sells wine. Help please...
Aww sunny I'm so glad you posted instead of drinking... the bargaining we do with our AV hey..
So glad you can recognise it, and delay.. post lots, drink loads of water, sleep early and tomorrow will be a brand new day...
sending hugs honey xxxx
Old 11-30-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

You've got this Sunflower. How ya doing now?

The movie Smashed was good. Not for everyone but I enjoyed it. My husband is a "normie." But consistent, probably at least 5 nights out of the week.

If anyone hasn't read Drinking: A Love Story (Caroline Knapp), I recommend that book as well. A woman's relationship with wine, essentially. But she has (had) issues with eating and men as well.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trelly View Post
Good morning everyone. I am on day two and I am so glad that I found this forum. I am in a place where I fee like I have no other options but to quit drinking or die. Monday night, was passed out, in my parking lot with the car still on. And when my wife found me and woke me up, I yelled at her and tried to drive off but thankfully she withstood me and prevented me. This event has traumatized her so that I don't know if she is going to stay with me. Regardless if she does or not, I've never been so determined to let that day be the last day I put alcohol in my mouth again. Only on day two but it feels like I've been reborn.
Hi welcome Trelly,

I'm also a WA girl!! Well done on day 2. Hopefully you'll be able to work things out with your wife but I'm glad you've committed to get sober regardless...
take care and hope to see you on here...
Nic :-)
Old 11-30-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Welcome home Trelly

Originally Posted by trelly View Post
Hi Trelly, I am glad you found us!
I think we have all been there to one degree or another.
So many shameful things we have done while under the influence.
I think what really got me was that person who kept drinking was not my best me.
My best me is loving and compassionate, considerate of others and so mindful of how my actions affect others.
The ugly me, the drunken me; didn't have those same values.
One of us had to go.
I thought long and hard about what I wanted to be.
I wanted to be peaceful, content, to love and be loved and to appreciate the beauty in everyday.
None of those were possible if I continued to drink.

I am so glad you are choosing this path.
For Trelly
Old 11-30-2016, 03:44 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post

If anyone hasn't read Drinking: A Love Story (Caroline Knapp), I recommend that book as well. A woman's relationship with wine, essentially. But she has (had) issues with eating and men as well.
Ha! My copy of that book literally just arrived in my mailbox today!
Old 11-30-2016, 03:50 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Good recommendation

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
Watch the movie called Smashed... It's about wife who quits and hubby who doesn't. Pretty good flick.
Looks like a good movie! Love Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad.. Jesse, yo)

I actually found it online free and plan on watching later.

Last edited by Dee74; 11-30-2016 at 03:54 PM. Reason: copyright
Old 11-30-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Trelly!
Old 11-30-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Just checking in and saying I am making it through day 3. It has not been an easy day. I did not want to drink but my body feels like I got run over buy a truck. Sore everywhere, spaced out and pretty tired.

I am not drinking today.

asixstringnut.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Someone suggested I join this group. This is my first day. Is this where you are suppose to post or did I just reply to a post.
Welcome to the site. You can also start a new thread of your own and introduce yourself to the crowd. This is a great place to read what others are doing top stay sober and a place for you to say how you are doing.

Again welcome

asixstringnut
Old 11-30-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Welcome thecurtis56! Your AV, as someone mentioned, is your addictive voice. You know that little voice in your head that says things like having one will be okay. Or, it's my birthday, I deserve it etc..

Feel free to tell us some of your story, or not, whatever makes you most comfortable.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

It is that little voice whispering in your ear that it is ok to drink, use, get high. Whatever it is for you don't give it much power.

For me it is my alcoholic voice.

asixstringnut