One Year & Over Part 44

Old 11-27-2016, 05:01 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

fg, i have a pot of soup on the stove as we speak
Old 11-27-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Good morning!

Best wishes for a great day for everyone here!
Old 11-27-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

My rarely-seen middle son is visiting for the weekend. He is going wild for the Boilermaker chili; he's eating heaping bowls of it at every meal! I'm sending the leftovers down with him in a Tupperware.

His usual diet consists of pizza and Pop-Tarts, so he's thrilled at the prospect of home-cooked food!

Tonight he'll be enjoying zucchini lasagna at a dual birthday party that my daughters are throwing. Hopefully tomorrow he'll finally eat the Thanksgiving leftovers I saved for him. I'm pretty sure they'll need to be thrown away after that. Turkey and stuffing only stays good go so long..

It's been a real joy to spend time with him. He's revived me! I had been so frazzled and snarky after genning up vivacity for three and a half days--I couldn't bring myself out of it!

Then when I got home, he popped out and surprised me, and my mood has slowly improved till now I'm "regular" again.

I'm really relieved! It's a frightening feeling to not be able to snap out of bitterness.

I have had a very mercurial month of November mood wise. I wonder if it's got anything to do with my constant diet of junk food and lack of recent exercise.

I know I feel totally sugared-out.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi Overs

Yesterday I made a turkey dinner with all the trimmings so my family and I can enjoy Thanksgiving leftovers. It came out pretty well, but today is my big cooking day. It's easier to pull together healthy meals during the week when healthy food is prepared.

Gilmer - It sounds like you have a good read on what the reason may be for a low mood. Make those adjustments and you'll be feeling better in no time.

Suze - Congrsts on your engagement and your move to the US! Exciting news!

Itchy - I'm glad your surgeries went well. It sounds like you're already on to planning your next adventure, eh?

It was so nice to have some extended time off from the grind. I needed it! I was able to connect with my mom, dad and in laws, make time for some friends, do some holiday shopping, work out, and even relax a little. I had time to listen to my intuition about where my priorities need to be.

I've spent so much of my life feeling insecure, unsure of myself, unsure of where I stand, unsure of whether I'm doing the right things. It's so nice to have turned that corner and trust myself.

My kids' youth hockey has often been a place where I've struggled with others bad behavior or been stressed out about social politics. Today, though, it was an opportunity for me to see my progress. I sat down at my son's game and the two women next to me rolled their eyes and shrugged when I sat down. Then when they had the opportunity to change seats, they moved. I noticed it, but it didn't rattle me because it has nothing to do with me!!! Sure it was rude, but I really am not offended.

Later, a woman who stopped talking to me last season when I addressed her son's violent behavior towards my son and the other teammates started talking to me again. It didn't rattle me!!! I engaged, carefully but not standoffishly, but didn't "start liking her again" because she decided to treat me well.

I'm so grateful that in sobriety I continue to learn those lessons that long eluded me. I see it as AA's promises coming true! Have a great day Overs!
Old 11-27-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

That is real inner security, Glee!
Old 11-27-2016, 09:03 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

All this talk of food is making me ravenous.

Have a good Monday!
Old 11-27-2016, 10:48 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Me too Mags! I skipped dinner and now it's too late, and all this talk of turkey and chili and soup! I might have to make a snack......
I spoke too soon on the boyfriend front Itch, thanks though. WHO KNOWS. MEN. I give up.
The couch is still lovely though!!!
Okay, it was actually in the news today, it has rained here almost every single day for TWO MONTHS. ARGHHH.
I have to go in tomorrow for a half day to deal with all the final messy bits that no one else wanted to deal with. The last one standing.
Glee and Gilmer--you both sound like you're reaching new levels of personal growth. Nice one!
Rusty I love your avatar!
By the way FBL thanks for the Steely Dan--love them.
I've been listening to the new Radiohead album, any fans here? It's excellent.
Today was a peaceful day.

Good Monday Morning to the Overs!
Old 11-27-2016, 11:57 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

We cleared about 90 cubic metres of black thorn. Like unravelling one of those green scotch bright pads only much bigger. Felt good shredding it up though.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:24 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Have a Magnificent Monday, overs!
Old 11-28-2016, 03:52 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Have a good one, dear Overs!
Old 11-28-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good day Overies. Lots on this day just gone for me. My alcohol counsellor is tearing my persona apart inch by inch. Almost day by day. Confronting- I invite it because I want to be a better person. Not a 'nice' place to go- my life. BUT making progress. No drinking Coming up to 300 days soon. First time without alcohol for this period of time since I was at high school. (yay).
Old 11-28-2016, 04:29 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

You're doing great, PJ.

You are demonstrating great humility in letting the counselor into the deepest recesses of your mind to dig around, and being willing to take what must seem like mental cruelty at times and submitting to it for the future good.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:30 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Thankyou G. Not even any silly comments. PJ
Old 11-28-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

pj, they always said the answers lie deep down within

it can be a scary place at times, well worth the look,

gilm happy to hear you've snapped out it it

and we all know that "it"!

thanks ippy

then toss out the crap!
Old 11-28-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

Glee, you sound so balanced and well centered and accepting of yourself as a person. I know it has taken me a lifetime to figure these things out, though not drinking has helped me in the right direction.

Inpar, sorry about the bf, we can be hard to deal with. I don't know how you can deal with months of cloudy and rainy weather day after day. I need to see the sun often or it grinds my soul down. My wife has spoken of moving to Portland, Seattle or even Vancouver, and though they are cool progressive towns, the weather would just exacerbate my alcoholic tendencies I'm afraid.

FBL, I am scared that I am going to see my picture as your avatar one morning. I guess I won't worry about going to work if that's the case.

Saskia and Dee, I concur with your thoughts about the Overs/Unders threads. I once posted as an Undie here and got some great advice. Like Saskia said, I looked forward greatly to officially be able to join the Overs after a year, and was following the thread for a month beforehand so I could be sort of up to speed when I started posting. I continue posting in the Undies because I do not have that much sobriety under my belt yet, compared to many people here. The Undies thread generally is more focused on recovery, being folks far newer to sobriety. It helps to keep me focused on my recovery, and I feel that I can offer advice to folks whom are not all that far behind me in recovery. In conclusion, I find both threads to be great resources full of wonderful people!

I am glad everyone made it through the holiday with sobriety intact and many got to spend time with seldom seen family. That makes it a truly thankful holiday!

Have a great day all!
Old 11-28-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stargazer016 View Post
I am glad everyone made it through the holiday with sobriety intact and many got to spend time with seldom seen family. That makes it a truly thankful holiday!
This made me remember how hard and scary holidays used to be, especially in the first year. I dreaded Thanksgiving, Christmas, all of them. I associated alcohol with everything. I have to admit that Christmas is still a tough one. So many memories of wine by the fire, Bailey's in my coffee for a month straight haha. Etc. etc. So many strong associations. But now it's more annoying than anything, but I still remember the hangovers and the ruined Christmas parties and dinners from too much drinking, and I'd take a sober holiday any day. It just is so much better, like how vacations are better now, you get to actually enjoy them instead of drinking in a panic the entire time and being hungover, and then not remembering anything.
Just writing that, I am so thankful to be sober. The memories are still so fresh.
On the bf front: I've said it before, all this dating stuff is making me discover my self worth. So I guess at the end of the day it's worth it?
We'll see. It's not over with him, we just had kind of an upsetting talk yesterday and it seems likely that it's not going to work out. But we'll see. It's his 40th birthday on Wednesday of course so that makes things nice and awkward. He's cooking dinner for his friends and his mother and if I go it will be the "grand unveiling" of our relationship as some work people will be there. And his mother.
About the rain: we just complain and get through it, and buy lots of great boots and rain jackets. An umbrella is your best friend. It's okay.
Happy Monday, again.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure you'll look back and be glad you did this PJ

Bad timing IP - Hope it goes ok

D
Old 11-28-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Mags - How is the new smart tv working for you?

IP - Sorry about the ups and downs and twists and turns with your boyfriend. I hope you find the stability that you want.

Stargazer - You sound like a balanced person yourself! Someone said at AA tonight drinking wasn't their problem, it was their solution. Once I traded that toxic unhelpful solution for real tools for living, I found some peace and balance. I found some great tools in AA going to a meeting where we read from the 12 and 12. I plan to study the Big Book too going forward.

Carlos - It's big book or bust, bestie!

Fbl - Glad your car turned out not to be a complicated fix and you made it to Thanksgiving on time!!

Andy - Sounds like a satisfying project!

PhoenixJ - Good on you for facing your issues in therapy. I find that I am a work in progress. Being sober makes my issues a little clearer for me, but the real benefit for me in sobriety is being able to heal by facing them.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 11-28-2016, 10:51 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

There's a cold chill here, brrrr , ,

Inpar, one day Mr Right will come along, if he hasn't already., until then , love life, love yourself.x

Glee, smart tv pretty good.so much more than a tv!

PJ, I love the overs, it's not so much we talk of alcohol so much but life , trials and tribulations, but silently....we have the reminder, the promise to ourselves...to stay sober....

Hope it's a terrific Tuesday overs! Keep warm, unless you're in Australia, then don't overheat!
Old 11-28-2016, 11:34 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

We had -2C this morning, brrr indeed.

Have a toastie Tuesday everyone.