Notices

Class of November 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 11-15-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Good comments Bobbieka. 163 days what a fantastic job. I am envious. This is the time of day that is difficult for me start wanting that evening glass a white wine when the sun starts going down. I would be so happy if I could fall asleep at 10:pm and wake up after a good 8 hours in the morning, but sleep and a good nights rest is avoiding me. Well, here is to a lot of will power this evening.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Just about to leave for my walk, buy a coffee and read the newspaper in the park.
There is a Kookaburra that sometimes sits in the Ghost Gum outside my lounge room Mira. When next it comes I'll pretend it's you and we can have a laugh together.

Man, that last statement SOUNDS a bit like the woman who feeds the pidgeons in the park Emzeh. Was thinking too, that you do have Swans and lots of beautiful birds.

Big welcome to Sober Dave and Kimmy, and welcome back Vegit8. Bobbieka, 163 days is legendary, congratulations.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

That IS me Steely. Been spying on you!
Old 11-15-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Scene- 9 million yearsv ago- small country town, 40c. Grade 2 primary school. Time to sing THAT song

Kookabuura sits in the old gums tree
Merry, merry king of the bush is he
Laugh Kookaburra
Laugh Kookaburra
Gay you life must be.

Wedgies are my fav. bird (W
Old 11-15-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

I was suspicious Mira. I mean it's not often you see a Kookaburra with a copy of the "SR Times" under their wing You are always welcome.

Was thinking Vegit8 that I have heard said it is not uncommon for a partner to resent the "other" getting sober. All connected with the control stuff you describe in your post. Freedom on two fronts Vegit8. Yay!

Went for my walk and sat in the park with my newspaper, felt very satisfied with my effort, and the day is beautiful, that is until I realised that I had left my house keys in the letter box when checking for mail. Oh no, climb a drain pipe.

That's sort of where my head's at....... Had to hurry home, and luckily they were still there.

Hope you are doing OK Kimmy, you are not alone when it comes to feeling overwhelmed. I figure these are the early days and it will improve with time, and as we become familiar and comfortable in the "real world".
Old 11-15-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Hey guys ~ Sober another day, thank goodness! Yes, staying close to SR is very helpful....I also like the 24 hour forum. I'm currently doing okay; not having any cravings but the AV seems to always be in the back of my mind whispering those damn "what-ifs" about the future. I guess that's why it's so important to stick close to you guys. I'll just have to "tell that AV to shut its bloody face already"

Glad to be a part of this class. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-15-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Is it weird that I've started praying even though I am an atheist?
Old 11-15-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Steely- heard one of those cringe worthy drive home FM show stories. A young lasdy said she went to the post office to send back some clothing bought through e-bay by package. She efficiently took the items in hand, packaged them- addressed it and posted it off. JOB DONE! Until she got home and realised she had also posted he house keys in the package.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Keep Pushing- prayers to me if nothing else are therapy. They offer hope. A need for my life to be better through hard work. A way to vent my spleen. Whatever god is- I often shout at the perfect one. Why is god a male anyways./ Can't the perfect one be whatever/ One day a bloke, the next a girl- then get bored and be a slug- who knows. Prayer is me talking myself through stuff as much as anything else. If anyone asks me why I believe in an all powerful sentient being I often reply- well this place is so absurd- there has to be more to the Universe than this. A good an explanation as any. Faith and prayer is hope.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

No keeppushing, I'm an atheist and I pray. Here we call that "having two bob each way". Nothing to lose, and reckon praying is good conversation going on in my head.

Hi Purplrks another sober day, it's good, hey? Even if it's hard, nothing could be as bad as the consequences of alcohol, for me that is, and I figure same for all you guys. I know I want real sobriety badly, it'll dead set kill me.

Was thinking about you Phoenix, thanks for the Kookaburra song. I can relate in some small way to your burns. I fell into a BBQ when drunk, and my left arm has the scarred ridges of a red hot grill. Had to go to the Burns Unit of Concord Hospital a hot coal embedded in my arm. People think I "slash up" the scars are so uniform. Nope, alcohol related trauma injury.

The pain was incredible and I flinch when thinking about what you have endured. So fantastic that you are getting sober, and doing it so elegantly.

And for all those who think that this can never happen to them, you are wrong. It can happen to anyone of us. But I figure the Nobenders are smarter than that, and have taken all into account.

Luv's ya's all.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

We must have been posting at the same time Phoenix. You beat me to the punch
Old 11-15-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Day 2 just checking in. I've got my appetite back, still feeling a did run down though.

Ouch that BBQ burn sounds brutal Steely! So many Aussies on this forum.. Alcohol is very ingrained in our culture unfortunately.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

The old (Hollywood version) Viking war cry to the gods of Valhalla.

Tonight we drink for tomorrow we die.

Yup.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post

I've thought a lot about nursing school, actually. I'm currently an engineer, but I really want to help people, and not just by creating layout drawings for them, lol. Anyone can do that. But not everyone has suffered and developed compassion as a result.

Just curious, is this your first career choice? Meaning, are you young and in school for the first time? Or have you worked other jobs / careers and eventually decided to try nursing? I'm just curious to hear stories of people who changed career paths, I guess...not sure if my thoughts on the matter are rational!

Also, I would totally do dinner and mini golf for MY birthday, and I'm 32
I'm 33. . I've have a BS in public administration, but never really found an "in" or a nitch with that. I worked at least a dozen jobs from 20 to 30 that were so very unfullfilling/ boring/ unchallenging.

Serving other people in the Hospital has given me a sense of purpose in this life that i have never known. I highly recommend nursing. Yes it's hard. Yes it's gross. Yes people are tiring... but every day you are exposed to the opportunity to have a sacred encounter. Where you make a true difference in someone's life. And when your interventions have saved a life... That feels damn good.

I couldn't be happier with my decision to go back to school.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Double post...computer gone silly.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Good show on Day 2 Sober. Getting your appetite back is a good sign. Feeling run down par for the course I reckon.

Yes, the burns were awful, but guess what? I continued to drink. Crazy!

Yes, there are a lot of aussies in our Class. A true US/Australian Alliance

Hi Blackbird. I reckon nurses are the salt of the earth. I hope you are travelling well, as I wish same for us all.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

"Blackbird Singing.....", is one of my favourite songs bblackbirdflyy, been meaning to say that for some time.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

So for lunch to day I decided to treat myself to a comfort food. Pizza Then probably an arvo nap.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:58 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Cool scene Sober. I had a hamburger, which I never usually eat. Very tasty when eaten sober
Old 11-15-2016, 09:51 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

All of America must be asleep. Sleep tight sober ones