Notices

Class of October 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 11-19-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

I'm very impressed Newlight and teaorcoffee. Good work passing up the drink!

I consider myself very lucky that I haven't really craved a drink too bad for the past month or so. Last night I was thinking how horrible I would feel if for some reason I'd decide to pull a drunk, after all I've just gone through... it just wouldn't be worth it. It's kind of scary to think it could happen...

Hewson, fingers crossed on the job situation!
Old 11-19-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Just had a thought occur to me. I'm now more likely to encounter situations where others are drinking than I was before. Like a lot of people I had retreated and started just going home and drinking. I'm going out now and seeing people more.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

My husband drinks 3-4 days a week. So I'm exposed pretty frequently. Sometimes I think it would be ok. Then there are those rare days like today that I wake up to alcohol bottles on the counter, and my husband hating life, and I remember why I stopped.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

I live on my own so don't have those temptations - it is a reminder when you see people nursing their hangovers that alcohol may be tempting but there is always a price.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Teaorcoffee, do you think going out and being around people who are drinking will hinder your progress? Or do you think it will make you stronger in a way?

I've wondered about this myself. The few times I've gone out since I stopped drinking I found it was not enjoyable for me. I never noticed before that the music is always so loud, you can't really make conversation very well.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Found out it was a store associate who had called our HR Hotline and reported my DUI. Needless to say both myself and store manager were surprised and disappointed in her. She would be in line for my position if I were to lose it, but who would do something like this? She even acted like it was someone else when I mentioned that somehow HR had found out about it and I needed to do another background check. Two faced and we have four hours of working together tomorrow. Awesome.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:50 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
Administrator

I reckon the best thing you can do is take the high road Hewson...shower her with kindness and civility

D
Old 11-19-2016, 11:33 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I reckon the best thing you can do is take the high road Hewson...shower her with kindness and civility

D
I like that approach Dee!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Excellent plan Dee!

Suzy, I don't know - most of the time it hasn't bothered me at all, so I was surprised by Friday and a little concerned as I'm spending xmas and new year in Spain, surrounded by wine. I went out last night and there was wine on the menu and I didn't care.
I do know that I need to build up my life again to be a life I want to live and that means going out and doing things and meeting people, so I think it's just part of the deal. There's no point working at being sober and then staying tucked up in my flat feeling sorry for myself - that way will lead me back to drink.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:59 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

That was my plan. People that work with me know that nothing really "gets" to me on the job, that is one of the reasons I've moved up to position I'm currently in. This is assuming though that everything works out through HR...if somehow I'm demoted or let go then there will be some issues. I'm single with no kids and 42...this job is the most important thing to me and for the most part I really enjoy it. So I'm gonna continue on the high road as long as possible. Thanks all for support....
Old 11-20-2016, 02:36 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Pop in and post if it starts getting to you. You know someone will be around.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:23 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Was just passing. Hewson- work culture well, go figure. I never can. It is good your career is important to you. A good reward to keep and incentive for you in sobriety.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Good luck Hewson! People can be so cut-throat in the workplace. What kind of respect do they expect to get from their coworkers when they do people like that.... I really hope it works out to your advantage.

Good point teaorcoffee. I'm an introvert so I guess staying in doesn't bother me as much. I know you must be excited about spending the holidays in Spain! That sounds wonderful
Old 11-20-2016, 09:15 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Morning friends, Hewson,what a little witch! I'm a hairdresser and work with a bunch of gossipers,tattlers,I just put on my fake happy face and deal with them, knowing deep down they can't be trusted, I really hope this doesn't effect your job,Teaorcoffee,Suzyq,its really weird cuz I can be around alcohol til the cows come home and not even care,it's only when my mood gets wonky that I feel that urge, maybe I have something else going on, went to breakfast with hubs,got grocery shopping done and threw chicken fajita stuff in the crock pot, now I'll try for some exercise, wishing everyone a peaceful AF day
Old 11-20-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Yesterday I had the first real urge to drink in weeks. I was trying to quit smoking with the cold turkey method described in a book I just read, where you just ignore the little monster in your head that tells you that you want a smoke, until the monster dies.

Well the little monster figured out it had some leverage on me apparently, and started telling me I wanted a smoke and a 12 pack of beer. I freaked out and went quickly to the store to get a pack of smokes. Had to physically steer myself away from the beer cooler in the store and to keep looking straight ahead as I drove past the town bar.

It was the first smoke I had in 24 hours and it tasted terrible. I could just imagine the little nicotine monster in my head laughing its a$$ off... Geez...

I'm not giving up, though. I plan to try again tomorrow. I can be really stubborn. I really want to quit right now before I start working again.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suzyq77 View Post
Yesterday I had the first real urge to drink in weeks. I was trying to quit smoking with the cold turkey method described in a book I just read, where you just ignore the little monster in your head that tells you that you want a smoke, until the monster dies.

Well the little monster figured out it had some leverage on me apparently, and started telling me I wanted a smoke and a 12 pack of beer. I freaked out and went quickly to the store to get a pack of smokes. Had to physically steer myself away from the beer cooler in the store and to keep looking straight ahead as I drove past the town bar.

It was the first smoke I had in 24 hours and it tasted terrible. I could just imagine the little nicotine monster in my head laughing its a$$ off... Geez...

I'm not giving up, though. I plan to try again tomorrow. I can be really stubborn. I really want to quit right now before I start working again.
Get an ecigarette to help you quit. I've used one for over 7 yrs now, will never go back to real cigs.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Thanks Beelover! I might try that method again.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suzyq77 View Post
Thanks Beelover! I might try that method again.
Just don't get one at a convenience store, those suck. Get one from a reputable vape shop. I use a mod myself!
Old 11-20-2016, 10:38 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello all.
Its been a while since i posted. Still going well.
I was just reading this story on the new posts and it made me realise how much we have to live for and not to leave thanatos in !

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ld-happen.html
Old 11-21-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Hello friends, Vman,thanks for the link,Suzyq,I often would try to stop smoking and end up with an urge to drink so I've avoided quitting, however I feel like by keeping on smoking in a way it's keeping the alcohol addiction alive if that makes sense, I'm trying to do things differently and smoking needs to go!! Yikes, the street I take for work is on the news as we speak, drag racing crash I hope it's open by the time I leave for work, hello to all and I'm wishing us all a happy, productive day