Notices

Class of October 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 12-14-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Day 52 here. Another week another social event on friday. So far so good just have to keep on the same path...
Old 12-15-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Day 70 for me! I have discovered that being sober during the holidays has helped me handle the twists and turns much better, especially at work. I can handle any crisis coming up a whole lot easier and not want to have a meltdown. Now on to 90 days sober!
Old 12-15-2016, 05:48 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Congratulations October friends! Day 74 here. There are good days, some bad days, and okay days .. but mostly good for me. It's been a busy time of year and I have been stressed with kids getting sick, trying to make sure everyone has what they need for Christmas, classroom volunteering duties being more stressful than fun. But despite all that, I have been more peaceful I don't start yelling so easily and worrying if the @&!? googly eyes on the reindeer craft are not sticking! I skipped a couple runs .. oh well-- I'll run tomorrow. I am not drinking away my stress and it feels great! Now the treats ... I'll focus on that after the holidays!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:06 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

The run up to christmas is always mad - am noticing this year that I am doing much better, mainly because I don't feel like crap every morning.
I know there will be some testing times ahead, but actually feel up to the task at the moment.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Feeling okay today, kind of anxious but not bad!

I have a Christmas party to go to every day through the end of the week. Fortunately, I only expect to get pressure to drink at 2 of them. Looking forward to enjoying time with family and friends, the most important part.

See you guys later! time to get my party on
Old 12-15-2016, 10:36 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Hi Suzy - hope you enjoyed the party - do you have a plan for those parties where people will encourage you have a drink?

I'm trying to set up plans for Xmas and New Year - I'll be with people I don't know, but in a wine region, so will need to give myself some kind of plan.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:53 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Passing by- hi all
Old 12-16-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Checking in - 60 days today. I've found that work related stress and anxiety are not really as bad as I made them out to be when I drank.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:31 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Teaorcoffee & Suzy,
Not really a plan, but maybe suck on a mint or gum or eat something that would totally ruin the taste of the wine? I used to attend a lot of wine parties back in my working days and this sometimes worked. Of course, many times I just proceeded to make a drunk fool of myself (glad I didn't get fired! But then maybe I would have gotten sober at 23 instead of 43 if that happened )!
I also have realized it's a bit entertaining (and sad and annoying ) to see others be the drunk ones.

Good luck at your party tea&coffee & suzy, I hope your party went well.
May we all feel relief and strength and peacefulness when we wake up sober the day after.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Hello friends, everyone sounds really positive and getting through those holiday parties, I'm lucky in a way cuz I have none to worry about, hubs' company aren't holding one and my co-workers quit putting one on when they finally realized that we see enough of each other at work, no need to socialize outside the shop haha,wishing everyone a peaceful AF Day
Old 12-16-2016, 08:14 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Happy Friday all!

Last night's party was easy, it began at a location without alcohol and ended early without the bar-hopping I was expecting.

Tonight's party will be the same, beginning at a restaurant that doesn't serve. My plan is to pass on any further after-party that might occur.

The rest of the week will be spent with my family, who is largely Mormon. There will be no pressure there! haha

A few times I have ordered a cup of coffee when out with friends who are drinking. The bright side of this is that I've had some really delicious coffee at these places! And I leave early, don't stay out as late. Also I have given excuses to people, like I'm on a diet/watching calories, which is true.

Mainly my plan is to escape, or avoid going to bars. I've got to be honest with myself and recognize that bars are my weakness and just avoid them. Otherwise, I'm great!

I hope you all have a nice weekend!
Old 12-16-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Hello everyon e. 10/15/16 is my birth date, 59 for 1 and day 1 for the other. Didn't have much luck trying to quit any other times in my life, I've drank and used everything since I was a teenager. How do I go about being considered a regular on the class of October 2016?
Old 12-16-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Welcome Tomis - to become a regular, keep coming back, that's all we've done.

I think I could exchange coffee for wine sometimes - might end up on a caffeine high though.
I think I just need to have my head straight before I eat a dinner that comes with wine normally.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:26 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

70 days sober...my longest run since...well forever lol. Still working out everyday and actually have some money since I'm not blowing $500/month at bars. Now just need to pay off my court costs and DUI classes and I'll be set. Stay positive everyone.
Old 12-17-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

So I needed to post this. I was given a great gift yesterday. While shopping with my wife I ran into a retired co-worker. We go way back. In fact, he came out of retirement for a while and we worked closely on a migration project.

So we are chatting about family and work and stuff when he stoped and says "You're looking really good, have you lost weight? Something about you is different, I can't quite figure out what it is...."

My wife was there too she just looked over at me and smiled. I thanked him for the compliment and left it at that. What a confidence booster that was!
Old 12-17-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Hello friends, welcome Tomis STDragon,that's awesome your friend noticed how great you're looking, its hard to post individually to everyone cuz I read,want to comment but by the time the reply page comes up I forgot who/what I wanted to post to,just know that I appreciate all of your posts each one is valid and I love reading about your lives and recovery I do NOT feel like going to work today, I keep eyeballing my jammies and just wanna put them back on and watch movies all day haha,wishing everyone a wonderful AL FREE Day
Old 12-17-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

HI all, well not hi but hello. I'm still here and clean and sober! That is a very good movie, I'm sure most of you have seen it. Have a great sober day, Tom
Old 12-17-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! It makes me smile to read so many positive posts thank you for them!

I had a great time at the party last night. I spent time with friends from high school and actually felt more outgoing and social than usual. I still can't believe it!

I caught one of them looking really hard at my eyes... haha I'm sure she was trying to determine if I was drunk or high or what. These people haven't seen me sober since we were kids! The whole evening made me feel really good and I can't wait to do it again.

I hope you all have a great day! Keep the posts coming
Old 12-17-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Thanks for the post suzyq! That makes me look forward to trying out the new me at the christmas family function this year! Have a great day! Tom
Old 12-17-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

That's fab Suzy - I think I'm not quite there for parties yet, mind you - never have been one for parties.
So pleased that you got great feedback Dragon. I know I think I look a lot better, but it's good to hear it from someone else.
Had a good trip to the cinema today - saw Rogue 1 which was entertaining.