Notices

Class of October 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 12-05-2016, 06:57 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hewson, glad that's over for you!
Old 12-05-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suzyq77 View Post

Juno, I am very impressed with the 4 day trip and how well you did! Do you have any tips on how to get through this kind of thing without drinking? I could use the advice thank you.
Thanks for that

All I had to do was remember how hard it was to quit this time round...the withdrawals and the horrendous fear...i never want to go back there....

my friend was totally understanding and after the first 10 minutes, when he realised i was serious, stopped pushing me totally...

like i said, i didn't really enjoy the experience of being sober in merry company but we only get to visit once or twice a year and my children love going there and i would have hated to cancel....
i'm sure i can get through any situation now....not saying i will but i certainly can...

i've also taken up running again...i enjoy my daily jogs more than i ever enjoyed being drunk....
i look forward to running the empty lanes every night with a good audio book....up to 8 km a night now after struggling with one 6 weeks back...

seeing physical progress is just as inspirational as the emotional progress for me

good luck everybody especially with the approaching holidays

Old 12-06-2016, 02:30 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone! Thank you Juno for the advice. And thanks everyone for the well wishes. Hewson I'm glad the jail time is over!

I had an urge to drink yesterday and got through it. What I did in the first 30 days was drink coffee at night. It didn't have the same effect this time and I had a panic attack instead of getting any relief. This summer I had the opportunity to see a therapist and I was really wanting to call her up! Needed someone to talk to really bad but can't afford her right now. So I sat down and just forced myself to feel the feeling until it gradually washed away. I tried to separate myself from it and remember it's just a feeling, the feeling is not me. Feelings won't kill me, they're just there and they go away. It worked and I'm still sober thank the Lord!

Peace love and blessings to you all. Let's have a wonderful day!
Old 12-06-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hello friends, Hewson glad it's done! everyone sounds great, wishing everyone a peaceful AF Day
Old 12-06-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Fab news Hewson - glad that is out of the way for you.
I was at a friends for dinner today and a couple of people noticed I wasn't drinking.
The friend that had given me the weird looks the other day started asking more pointed questions and I just said that I had started in Oct and just kept it going.
I think that is the piece that does bother me, because I'm not missing the drinking at all, but having to justify not drinking is a pain in the neck.
But they will have a headache tomorrow and I won't.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:24 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

With the jail time behind me I'm restarting p90x Monday December 12th. Want to see what sort of shape I can get in while doing the 90 day program and not drinking. If I complete it will be over 5 months without a drink so that's now my goal.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Teaorcoffee, I remember before I quit, I was fascinated to talk to people who used to drink and stopped when I hung out with them at bars. One colleague in particular gave me annoyed looks when I asked her about it and now I understand why. I guess I didn't really believe they could enjoy themselves going out like that without a drink. I know some people now who go out and have fun at bars without drinking. I can't say that I have fun at bars when I don't drink, personally.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Hewson- a good goal Lots of stuff happening huh? Different environment, changes- ways of seeing the world. Thankyou for your post. PJ
Old 12-06-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Heck yeah, 2 goals in one Hewson. I hear that p90x is no joke! I bet you will feel amazing at 5 months.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:08 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

SuzyQ - I guess so, perhaps I should be kinder to people about this. It's just so freaking annoying when people then start a conversation about how they couldn't do that, etc., etc. - I don't care either way if they drink or not, would just like the same indifference back.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hello friends, sounds like everyone is doing well getting through the craving, parties,thoughts, etc, feeling sorta blue this week,hormones and holidays I think, it'll pass it always does I think the bad moods come to make us appreciate the good moods,seen a commercial for creme brulee macchiato at dunken donuts,I might stop by before work depending on traffic, wishing everyone a great booze free day
Old 12-07-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Completely understand teaorcoffee, the times when I'm out and my choice becomes an issue, it seems to make it a bigger deal in my head. The bar-hopping part and friends not seeming to accept it when I want to go home earlier than they do also seems to make it harder. I don't usually go to AA but I'm thinking about going just to try and make new friends to hang out with.

Winslow, have you ever heard of taking evening primrose oil for hormones? It really seems to help with mine and I've talked to some other women who have said the same. I hope you feel better!

Does anyone want to get together and use the chatroom sometime? Let me know it would be nice to get together and learn more about one another sometime.

Have a nice day sober peeps!
Old 12-07-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Two months sober today. Today's also a year to the day that my dad unexpectedly passed away. The good news I had no craving to go drown my sorrows after work but instead came straight home to workout and watch GOT episode on Netflix disc.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

^
well done hewson

it is my day 50 today...feels like yesterday that i was counting hours.....the first 50 hours crawled by

the days though.......they start going by really quickly don't they?
Old 12-07-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Junoluna and Hewson

D
Old 12-08-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Congrats on the milestones guys,waves to all
Old 12-08-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello hello classmates.
Its been a while so I said it was time to say a big BONJOUR to you all.
Vman.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning class!

Thought I'd check in. Things are going well.

It's my wife's company party tomorrow, after attending mine last week, I have confidence in myself that this one will be fine. Easier even, there won't be any old drinking buddies. My wife is getting a 35 year appreciation award so it's a big night.

Christmas eve, however, is going to be at my sister-in-laws. 8+ adults, all big drinkers. I'm starting to think about skipping out on that one. Not that I'm worried about my sobriety, I'm just not looking forward to it all. Know what I mean?
Old 12-09-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Administrator

there are some great tips for social occasions here:

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide
Old 12-09-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

I love this article Dee, thank you! I'm putting it in my favorites so I can read when needed.

I'll be hearing back today about the job I'm hoping to get. I'm super anxious and excited! I need this break really bad!

I hope everyone has a great weekend