Notices

Class of March 2016 part 35

Old 10-23-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I read the Hobbit back in high school - nearly 40 years ago!!!

I started to read the Fellowship of the Ring right after that, but just could not get through it - I guess that's why I'm considering the movies. I've read on-line though that, while the movies are good, they don't accurately track the books in many key respects. Some people are really picky about this, and some less so - for folks that have done both, I guess my question has to with the story quality of the movies with respect to Tolkien's writings.

Thanks!!
Old 10-23-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm the same, read the Hobbit in 5th grade and just didn't get very far in The Fellowship. I haven't NOT finished many books. Odd bc I loved the movies. But I can't comment on the story quality in the movie!

I am looking for my next book though. Just finished Between Breaths and it was pretty relatable. Minus the fact that she is a career woman and mom and I'm only a mom. Blah blah blah. I did 7 years in the corporate world lol.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

B- I can understand how you feel about the 1 year bit. I feel privileged that you shared such a personal part of your life. You have certainly turned stuff around. You show strength. Enjoy on the present happiness, not the sadness of the past, ay?
Purp- movies- good. Drinking is dumb. Drinking with ex at movies? That for me would be unsafe and a little bit strange. Please take care, don't take risks.
MITA- the books are great. Do the Hobbit first. Before all the film stuff happened- I was into it early on in life. Tolkien used his experiences in WW1, where (today it would be PTSD, 'shell shock') he turned those experiences plus his profession of celtic type history (a prof.) into this amazing story.
The books are wonderful. The films are crafted brilliantly and do the story justice- depends on what you want. The film (Fellowship) when it came out blew me away. Mind you I can read the trilogy in a day now. Have read everything in between. There is even a book- The Silmarillion which is based on the ultimate baddie. The villan in LOTR was this guy's henchman.
0633 here. Have a good evemorninight all PJ.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
Hola Marchians! Read some posts! I envy people that get to read LOTR for the first time. Take your time and read leasurely, it will takes months, but you'll love it!
I have read in some posts of some people relapsing a bit. Just curious here, but did any of you go serious withdrawals on quitting once again? What in part that has kept me straight is that hell I went through on quitting last March after say 15 or so years of steady drinking.
As one how has yo-yo-ed back and forth I envy your sobriety and that of others. Stay sober so you don't have to find out. It's not pretty as kindling can be unforgiving.

I guess I'm lame as The Hobbit and LOTR appeal to me in no way whatsoever. A teacher gave me The Hobbit to read in detention a long, long time ago and I made it about two pages before I decided to sit in silence.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
Ok I hope U guys don't hate me....just being honest....I decided to drink today...
No hate Purpl. It wasn't a decision you'd prefer, but it was made. It doesn't make you a bad person, you're struggling like so many. I do hope you stopped quickly despite the pressures. Tomorrow is a new day. Be good to yourself.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I liked the story in the LOTR books and understand how important they are to many, many people. The writing itself just didn't appeal to me. I did like "The Hobbit" but it's a lot simpler writing.

Shortest shift ever at work. I had asked for this day off a couple of weeks ago but had rescinded that request a few days early. Anyways, some wires got crossed and I wasn't on the roster this evening so as it was going to be slow anyways, I'm taking the night off. About to put on my pajamas at 4 in the afternoon and curl up with a good book or four. Roommate is out of town so I can crank some loud music without fear of disturbing.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Never hate or judgement here friends, that's for sure.

Remind me tonight guys that I want to do an actual root beer float and not just the root beer float flavored ice cream.

New priorities.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi all! Well done work and got lots of steps!! Now I am finally home and having some tea before a delicious dinner the DH made

The Hobbit was my favorite too - I read the books for the first time when I was like eight I think...my Dad was British and I actually remember him reading them to me as bedtime stories...and yes the books are so much better than the movies (they always are) but the movies are pretty amazing too!!

Purplrks - I hope you enjoyed the movie....sans alcohol...thinking of you!! They just opened a VIP movie theater here a couple of weeks ago where you can order drinks and watch the show....I don't think I will be visiting anytime soon.

Casey - I often wish that I would get to work and someone would say "why don't you take today off" lol - but that has yet to happen....

Thirteenth - I am glad you got to your meeting, no matter what kind!!

Bobbie - I am so grateful that you are still here...you are an amazing friend and I feel fortunate to know you....love you!!

AK - glad you got some much needed rest....hope you enjoyed the party!!

LB - your evening sounds lovely and I agree about your spouse not drinking around you....DH does still drink but he will do it when he is out with the boys or in another room....no matter what he always asks if I am okay with it

Upstairs - that is not something worth finding out....and anyways we don't drink...

Sorry to anyone I missed!!

Well off to have dinner - be back later!!!
Old 10-23-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

The good thing about SR, AA- anything which helps in recovery is we are all here for each other. No one hates anyone here. I think the only hate is that which we give ourselves. If ever I deserved punishment- I have paid for it 10 fold because of the way I treated myself once recovery kicked in.
Upon a wholesome discipline be gentle with yourself- or so the wisdom goes. Recovery really is a rebirth. I have been given a second bite of the life apple. I know god is about the place. As one person said to me recently 'well- you are back now and there are things you need to do'. That serenity prayer- those 3 things actually work - serenity, courage and wisdom.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
If ever I deserved punishment- I have paid for it 10 fold because of the way I treated myself once recovery kicked in.
This PJ says it all.....

Sometimes when I choose to drink I think of it as a reward for a hard day, or for a good day, or for whatever....but I think subconsciously I am actually punishing myself.....
Old 10-23-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you're here with us Bobbieka

I'm glad you're here too, Purplrks - I'm curious tho - what goes through your head before the decision to buy the wine?

How do you give yourself permission?

D
Old 10-23-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Bobbie! We are so lucky to have you in this group. You are the voice of reason, sympathetic yet straightforward, funny, and loving. You're my SR mother! I'm grateful for you, friend.

(don't ever leave me, lol!)

Counting down to a root beer float. Come on, children!

Also, it seems that Walking Dead premieres tonight, according to a 1,000 Facebook posts. Am I missing out on something lol. I wonder if I would like that series.

Edited to add: dentist appt in the early AM! while I still think the hygentist hates me when she flosses....I LOVE checking the "I don't drink" box on the health forms.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Re-Member

More like the Boring Meandering Dead. I read the first 60-70 issues of the comic many years ago and liked it but only made it through an episode and a half of the TV show. Though I am watching a zombie show right this second strangely enough: iZombie. Despite the stupid name, it's a much better show.

I want a root beer float. But that would involve me getting out of my pajamas and into other clothes and going to the store. Think I'll just stick with my bag of dark chocolate Reese's peanut butter cups that I've had in the freezer for a few days now, just waiting for the perfect occasion to break them out.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PNBlfZbMW8
Old 10-23-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Casey I would trade my RBF for frozen peanut butter cups!!!!

Ok, finding Homeland to restart that. I'm out of shows!!
Old 10-23-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Re-Member

How ya doing, Purplrks?
Old 10-23-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Aw Bobbieka, I am so glad you are with us! And you are so brave for sharing your story with us. I love you!

Just a quick check in tonight. I think I'm closing out day 26 of sobriety. Things are going pretty good, lots to be happy about, but I have some nagging headaches still and old ischiogluteal bursitis acting up, both which are putting a damper on my hiking and walking. Boo that makes me sad. I'm not happy with my weight. I still have 25 lbs of baby weight to lose and my baby is a year and a half! I see the neurologist on Tuesday again about the headaches. These have been going on mostly since my son was born. I don't know if there's a correlation to alcohol or lackthereof or not. I don't know what to do about the bursitis. I've gotten steroids from my dr in the past for that.

Anyway, that's enough whining I think. I hope you are all doing ok. Please if you're struggling, come here first! We are always here for you! A drink will not help you.

Xoxox
Old 10-23-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you checked in, Jemma. Hope the doctor's appointment provides some relief on Tuesday.

Heading to an early bedtime, my fellow Marchers. Thank you for keeping me sober one more day.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Just finished a session. Doing well. Asked if ready to go deeper into my psyche and really pry open the horrible stuff. Told was reticent (by psychology type person) to raise this initially- but think I am ready and will not be pleasant. I'm in. Another extension of step work, in a way. The main focus is HOW booze got me to where I am. No defensive or rational 'yes but at the time' comments- or 'I was this as a child'. They exist as observations and statements of fact to be worked thru- myself as judge- being brutally honest. I certainly did not put myself in this recovery stuff to hide. It has already been identified a main theme with my narrative is a life-long one of abandonment. Already feel crap. Too bad. I'm in.
Come what may.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:57 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Good Monday Morning everyone!!!

Well starting day four here and feeling pretty good - sleep wasn't great last night so lots of startin fluid this morning

AK - I watched the first few seasons of The Walking Dead and thought it was pretty good but I haven't seen anything from the last couple seasons. Good luck at the dentist this morning

Casey - I have never been a fan of chocolate (or pizza for that matter) - which most people can't believe - but if I ever do have a hankering for it....it would be peanut butter cups

Jemma - good luck with your appointment. As for the bursitis - I have had bursitis of the elbow a couple times and that was painful so I can just imagine what you are going through!!

PJ - I truly admire your all-in attitude....even though you are afraid (or you just don't want to) you still are moving forward to face some pretty painful stuff because you know you have to.....that is the place I need to get to as well

To everyone else - I hope you have an amazing day.....I promise I will not drink!!