http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...thread-20.html
D
Old 10-19-2016, 04:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mr

Shotgun thanks D.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Morning everybody. Day 11 here. Hope all of you are well. Have a great day.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Update

Hi Dee I've had a prompt to post something to say how I am doing, I have not been on the forum much as so busy. I am still sober apart from one incident a couple of weeks ago which I posted about. I started on my path of sobriety in sept 2016. I had booked an appointment with an alcohol/ drug service but appointment cancelled. Feel like I am doing pretty well and enjoying my new life of sobriety. I am focuses on my career, my son and myself. I am single and not ready to move on as only just split with my ex this year who was an alcoholic.
The thing I'm mainly worried about is social events where pubs and drinking is involved. I have avoided events like this up to now and feel I need to until ready. I am going to my brother s wedding but not worried about that as have support of family. However work colleagues or people who don't know or understand my problems I worry about. I don't really miss going out quite enjoy my own company but also worry about life as a sober person and meeting others the same. Feels like people view sober people as boring. Also I now find being around other people who are drunk very boring. Any advice on this matter as I feel alone I have cracked sobriety however don't want to become some kind of anti social recluse !
Old 10-19-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Think I may have posted on the wrong thread ?
Old 10-19-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lobrien
I'm glad you're doing ok

yeah I stayed away from alcohol centered things for quite a few months until I knew that I preferred being sober, and I was strong enough to resist the call of drinking.

I lost a lot of the social circle I had as a drinker mostly because the only real connection I had with them was drinking.

As I built my new sober life, and I got interested in things and started going out to non alcohol related things like hobbies, sports, cafes, picnics, theatre whatever...I reconnected with old friends who weren't huge drinkers or didn't drink at all, and I also made new friends as well who only know me as a non drinker.

It takes a little time to build a new life up but there's absolutely no reason to sit at home and be alone as a sober person

D
Old 10-19-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Even if you posted here by accident it's a great thread to join - we'd love to have you aboard lobrien

D
Old 10-19-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for your advice Dee, a lot of friends who know I am not drinking seem to think I can have one or two. However I don't see the point , my mental health is so much better without weed and alcohol , and to think I've self medicated all these years thinking it has helped me. I used to think it was impossible to lead a life without alcohol, however life is full of so many things you can spend your time doing instead of following the same old crowd.
I agree it takes time to build a new life but I'm going to remain focused on that , so glad I found this site when I did
Old 10-19-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wishing everyone a strong, happy AF day
Old 10-19-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

After a relapse yesterday I'd like to join this group. I made the wrong choice and I'm still really upset with myself. I'll introduce myself properly later on.

Hello everyone.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great to see you Charlie we are gonna do this!
Old 10-19-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Another day sober! At the witching hour when I usually start drinking I went to my run group. By the time I came home, the cravings were gone!
Old 10-19-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Checking in....another 24 here we come!

Oct142016, that's great to hear! Great job!
Old 10-19-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreedomHorse View Post
Checking in....another 24 here we come!

Oct142016, that's great to hear! Great job!
Today makes it two weeks tired and happy today
Old 10-19-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mr

Welcome to Charlie.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee for the new thread, I'm still waiting for my first shotgun....

Hi all, it took me a while to catch up on your lovely posts....
Welcome to Emme, Smckay, rainingdogs, astik, lobrien and charlie.
Huge congrats on all your successes! Amazing...

Delizadee I like the name... Rocktobers...
Old 10-19-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Don't know if this is the right place for this, but here goes.

Has anyone else noticed how shortly after you get sober, the reality of just how much you've destroyed your life sinks in? To wit: I've lost my job some two weeks ago. Can't remember exactly. I've no savings. I'll get one more paycheck, and thats it for cash, unless I can pull a miracle and get a new job in a week or so. Now, when I was drunk, all that seemed unimportant. Far away, almost like pertaining to someone else, but not me.

But now, almost 9 days without a drink, and almost through the Librium detox, and the dread and horror has set in. I've spent the entire day writing up a cv and sending it everywhere I can think of. Will probably spend tomorrow walking around town and handing it to people in person, if I can find any decent clothes left. I'm absolutely horrified at what I've done with my life the last couple months. I've had so much- a job, a future, a roof over my head and food on the table. Now all that is up in the air, and God only knows which way it'll turn up.

Makes you wanna just grab that bottle and forget again, you know? I know I won't do that, no way, its just this feeling I get. It makes me understand the hobos I've met recently. The ones who've given up, I'm sure you know the type. It would be easy. It would also be as good as death.

Does it get better? The despair, I mean. This feeling that nothing will work out ever again, and that its all futile? I hope its just the rebound chemicals talking, and maybe my stuff ain't all that screwed up after all. Its just that, right now its impossible to tell.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

SM,that's exactly why I'm giving up drinking, I just don't care about anything while drinking! Not my bills,family, job,my appearance, heck I would run to the gas station in jammies in the middle of the day looking like a homeless person, didn't care if I got fired, divorced, etc,we can change where we're going, it does take some time for the cobwebs to clear from our minds though and we do that by not drinking Charlie, how's day 1 going?
Old 10-19-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

My friends thought I could have one or two too Lobrien but boy they were wrong

welcome charliesworld - I understand you're upset with yourself but no ones going to smack you around here. The best thing you can do with a relapse is learn from it

Hey SpaceMandrill - I think a lot of us can obsess on that destruction - I know I did for a while.

The thing is tho - we can't change the past - but there's a beautiful vista of new days ahead of us.

I'm glad I convinced myself to put my energies into them, and in to building a new life

I promise you I have never been happier in my life - bad days and bad things still happen - but sober me is better....and, to me, that's what makes the difference

D
Old 10-19-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee. My heart hurts when I think of all the hurt I've caused. But I'm going to press on knowing that I can turn my life around. I want to really enjoy life, and remember it.