Administrator

Class of February 2016 Part 21

last part here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-20-a-21.html

D
Old 10-05-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun!!

School closed for two days during the hurricane. Nerve-wracking to know where it is going to hit, and sad for whomever it does affect. Already been brutal in Haiti and now tonight the Bahamas.

Staying home instead of Atlanta. Don't want to get onto clogged roads and my building is super safe, like a fortress. Lots of food and water. I actually prepared this time.

Hope everyone is well,
Lee
Old 10-05-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for you and every one else down that way Lee.

D
Old 10-05-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Morning all.

Stay safe Lee.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oi everyone (hehe)

Stay bunkered do n Lee. Hurricanes do suck. I went through several growing in in Texas.

My mother is really starting to struggle with depression and short term memory stuff. She is in a nice independent living place but I fear she will need to go to full assistance living. Ugh.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Shotgun made me giggle, Lee!

Things are fine here (Atlanta) but everyone I know is terribly worried about what we all call the beach, wherever our places are. My mom gets very worried very easily (her alcoholic mind and her bipolar plus her age often wreak having on her keeping an even keel) and is terrified about my parents losing their one owned home in Wild Dunes (outside Charleston). She definitely can't control it but she can't help herself, basically. And I understand- there is an incredible amount of stress on my parents for a lot of reasons and I know this seems like another possibly disastrous blow.

Badger- my mom and dad aren't quite there yet, and I don't see living support in the near future, but at 71 I see them both struggling. I think it is still age-related memory "dimming" (hell, I have some at 40 that I think is besides alcohol abuse ) but I do worry a little about what's coming. Dementia and Alz run in my family.

Really experiencing how different it is to be in a relationship completely sober. To try and be able to express when I am mad, disappointed, etc in a constructive way. Not drama (like in one relationship), not manipulation or pouting or whatever (like in another, the last serious one- though we never really fought but there were a lot of hurt feelings leading ultimately to the devastation of being left for another)....and relationship muscles being stretched and new ones trained on his side too. Thank God I am sober, have a strong program and WANT to work for a healthy relationship.

Anyone else see that thread about the coworker? OMG it made my blood boil. That non-manager and the "bad" employee....WOW. Made me think one unsual benefit of my job is that I work in the crazy messed up restaurant world where most people have personal experience (theirs or a loved ones, usually a parent or multiple close fam members) with addiction and recovery. And I have bosses who know I am in recovery, have clearly told me that the door is open if I need to talk (my GM is 9 yrs sober) and that the expectations of performance, behavior, etc are simply about me doing my job well. That is freeing and I am grateful.

Made it to the day to get my anxiety pills refilled (and just realized that it is Attivan)...and think it is a good thing with all that is going on personally. Going to be careful about not taking more than the correct dose, but definitely feel that having them over the past few days would have been beneficial to coping, on top of my other tools.

Best Weds to all!!
Laters
A

PS Dee- thanks for starting a new thread- so many tabs in the last
Old 10-06-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was noticing memory problems, but it's largely disappeared.

Badger and I passed eight months the other day!
Old 10-06-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

It is great to see the thread still active! Thank you for the resource. It is good to hear the latest from each of you. I am fine, though for some reason have started feeling lazy about exercising (which is odd since exercising has been a fixed habit for me for years). No biggie--life goes in phases, doesn't it?
Old 10-06-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Mel- glad to see you. I get the exercise thing- I am so active at work (those 4 flights of stairs) that when I do run, my stamina has increased over the last few months, but being on my feet so much I don't run much at all!

Random- I just heard about this crazy clown thing today! WTH? Anyone run into any?!

Take care all-
A
Old 10-06-2016, 12:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Preparing for the worst but hoping for the best. Have all the necessary supplies and the building I live in is VERY safe. This looks really bad though.

One thing I know is drinking is not the answer. Amazing to see all the people scrambling for booze at the grocery when was actually focused on......food. Priorities.

I'm so thankful to be sober.
Be good everyone
Lee
Old 10-06-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats OOTT and Badge! I'm still having the memory problems, 70 days today!

Mel and August, need some motivation here to exercise besides slow beach walks . I'm just about there I think.

Lee, I'm worried, are you in a mandatory evacuation area??

Hey OT, how was the essay?
Old 10-06-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh, and August, those freak clowns need to be arrested on sight! A couple showed up here and chased some kids. If I saw one, especially that Pennywise aberration I would pee my pants. They are horrible.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Penny, my 10 year old niece came into my office about an hour ago, really upset about clowns. Her school sent out a long email to parents about the "clown situation," and my wife's school did the same thing and she told me a similar email was sent out by most schools in the state. As you can imagine, all it did was get a bunch of parents stirred up and terrified grade school kids all over the state.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just don't get the clown thing? I guess I'll have to read up on it more. Who are these idiots and why are they doing it? Lee I hope you are safe. They posted a picture of a depleted aisle in Florida. People are paniked they could run out... lol Badger sorry about your mom. How was your essay OT? I'm so proud of you. And proud of everyone. Aigust I would avoid taking anything as we have addictive personalities. They wanted me to take Valium for my teeth clenching and I was like no thank you. K have to go. Oh and Mel - I have no idea why you don't feel like running and it is strange? Hmmm Keep us posted. Maybe you just are more relaxed and don't feel the need to do it to unwind? K night peeps. Be safe Lee amd be sure to check in so we don't worry.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

PHRD- re meds....I am ok taking what I need to- which is the key part, "need." And doing it correctly according to dose. I was amping it up last month because of life-induced anxiety more than normal, so I called my dr. It would have been an office visit to discuss changing the med or increasing the dose, so I decided I couldn't afford it (my 8wk visits are out of pocket and not cheap) and to stay with what I had AND take as prescribed. Using my other tools when anxiety hits, and now taking med as needed. I am sure I will use it all to end of this rx but plan not to be "out" because I took too much.

Morning everyone else, as well.

Looking forward to TODAY at work and not looking at the weekend plan in its entirety! Other than the $$ I set, it's going to be one day, one shift at a time.

Best Fridays to all-
A
Old 10-07-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Badger and OOTT

No Clown sightings down under...

stay safe Lee and anyone else in the fallout zone..

D
Old 10-07-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Things looking better.

Going to get 8-12 inches of rain, and 3-6 feet of storm surge where I live and 6-9 at the beaches. My area is very low so many areas will still be very flooded. but WAY better than yesterday. Thanks everyone.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lee- prayers, and hang in there. It is hard being distant (us) and not being the ones doing anything, even; my parents have to leave it to the association to do whatever protection they have done/will do.

Thought for the day- from my Richard Rohr devo of yesterday - We can change the "system" (ie the world) not by negative attacks (which tend to inflate the ego), but simply by moving to the side and doing it better. Seems specifically apropos to this (ridiculous) election season in the US, as well as to us laypeople in general!

Laters
A
Old 10-07-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No clowns here other than the normal ones. It's getting out of hand. The police here say there have been no credible incidents. I think rob zombie is pumping his upcoming horror film. Urban myth in the making?

Lee is riding the storm out
Old 10-07-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yeah the morning news said the clowns chasing kids here not true, but the sightings were real. Clowns life's matter rally in Tucson? That's absurd. Pennywise needs to be abolished from the planet (yeah personal issues here).

Lee, are you completely safe??? I know of 2 other members here in direct path and worried.