Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 21

Old 10-07-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Essay got done thanks Penny. Personal statement was finished today. Applying to one of the top universities so applications have to be in early. Very intense.

I've heard about this clown situation. What exactly is happening??
Old 10-07-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

America hates clowns now.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:55 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It all started with Clarabell, all downhill since.
Old 10-07-2016, 11:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Morning all! Let myself have a lie-in this morning but still feeling strangely tired. Long day of work today. It's very difficult going back after being in college all week.

The clown thing is actually happening in Britain as well apparently. Keeping my eyes peeled.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good college football on today.

Has anyone seen the new West World Series on HBO? Anyone remember the movie? Good stuff. Yul Bryner was cool
Old 10-08-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I do remember that I liked West World. Will check out series.

Having some trouble here guys with triggers. News, fear about what's happening....

Tomorrow I'm going to volunteer at a spay and neuter clinic. We all come together to help animals, no matter our differing opinions. I hope it will get me out of this head space.

Lee, how u doin? Not sure where you are, hope you have power.

OT continuing to school me on rockin sobriety
Old 10-08-2016, 08:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Remember there's nothing so bad a drink can't make worse Penny.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Dee's right Penny, drinking caused more problems for you and it won't be any different now.

Yesterday was a really difficult day, very busy at the shop. Going in an hour and a half early just to get things done. Extra day off tomorrow, I can catch up on sleep and work then.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

It is wonderful to hear your updates. Thank you. I am noting physiological changes: I need less exercise (I now see I was overexercising), I am losing weight more easily, and without trying have had a coffee habit drop off.

Psychologically speaking now, I accept that some objectively nasty problems in my job are baked-in. This acceptance opens up my abilities to focus on enjoying the good parts of the job while not wasting emotional or mental energy on things that cannot be changed.

Don't get me wrong: I am still planning for the future. I am laying a groundwork for a change of career, while avoiding freighting the effort with boxcars of stress (as I tend to do, with my Type A personality). Realizing that it will take a few years to get a new job up to speed, I am focusing on "just doing the process with a smile" and brushing off tendencies to get frustrated and impatient with the amount of time it is going to take.

Thank you for the support!
Old 10-09-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Mel- I feel you on the job thing. Right now- RIGHT NOW- I am good, working the restaurant, paying my own bills, living this life. I know I do not want to be a server forever, I know that I am 40, I know that I want a different work world. I am not sure what that will be, and I do have faith that I will get there. However - and this is something I have to flat out tell my parents- this is where i am RIGHT NOW and it is where I am supposed to be, what I can handle, and how I can live well and sober. The pressure of what I 'should' and 'will' do is something I cannot take on, quite simply. I can't think of the high-flying career I had, nor can I know what accomplishments are yet to come.

So...Friday night. I fell at the restaurant, slipped on a wet mat next to the (heavy, unforgiving metal) expo counter. My thought as I fell and the heavy dinner platters went out of my hands? "Oh my God, I hope all those don't break!!" NOT ... "Oh my God, what if I have to take a breathalyzer because there's an incident report, and I still have something in my system??" Wow. How cool is that. And I did it right next to my manager who is a good friend. Only thing he was worried about was if I was ok (I am, though we did do a report just in case) and no suspicion of "why" I fell. That whole thing would have been quite different this time last year.

48.5 hours on this week's schedule. Long days and far too much junk food. Ugh. I simply have to get a handle on it- not sure what the mental block to adding crap to my generally healthy diet. It's like I have a healthy day and go through it eating right, then add a whole other calorie plan of junk.

Still no word on how our beach place fared; hopefully today.

Haven't seen any clowns at work, but this weekend is Gay Pride in Atlanta and we did have some dressed up folks yesterday. I don't know what the costumes were exactly, or why one lady had a trombone, but I had an interesting group at my table at one point! Atlanta is pretty diverse- anyone who thinks "The South" is all rednecks and cows is way off base

Best Suns to all-
A
Old 10-09-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,
Doing well, have power, but 140,000 people in my city do not. Waiting until noon to see if school is off tomorrow. Probably will be because of the power outages. Would be nice to have a day off because the last few have been so stressful, but have to count my blessings that I never lost power.

Hope everyone is great. All is great on the sober front.
Best,
Lee
Old 10-09-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Penny. Anxiety sucks. Drink only takes the pain away temporarily then it comes back even stronger as you know. Avoid it! I drank to calm down and decompress. The consequences of my actions proved to only worsen the reasons I was trying to escape in the first place. Have you spoken with a Dr. about the anxiety?

Mel - That is great to hear. I need start thinking like that.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Mel and August, yes I can relate on the job front. Parts of mine cause me immense anxiety and gave me an excuse to drink, so I rationalized. Right here right now it's a good job. Working on gratitude!

Lee, glad you have power!

I'm on my way to the spay and neuter clinic. Definitely not drinking today. I'm in a mental space which did lead to relapses in the past, but am aware of it and know it will pass with work on my part. Staying busy and away from toxic spouse are important.

Xoxoxo to all of you!
Old 10-10-2016, 01:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Just popping in to say hello.

I totally get the anxiety on the job front. I told my boss on Friday that I wanted to leave. I can't just walk out because of financial reasons and because it wouldn't be fair on him, but I've totally had enough now. I'm meditating in the mornings before I leave to get me in the right frame of mind to face the day. I don't know what I want to do, I've been in the same line of work for all my adult life,

But something will turn up. Time to move on.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Hi everyone. Just popping in to say hello.

I totally get the anxiety on the job front. I told my boss on Friday that I wanted to leave.
Hi Jeni--please keep checking in. I hope things work out just as you are visualizing.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

This is NOT a spoiler. Wife took me to see woman on a train this weekend. The subject matter is pretty tough. The main character is an alcoholic and the movie portrays it in a very realistic way. I had a very hard time with it. FYI
Old 10-10-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

^^I read the book. It was rough - and I was still drinking at the time. Doubt I will see the movie. I do want to see The Accountant, though. Don't go to the movies often but sometimes one strikes my fancy.

Rough day at work at the end - left me bawling in the closet where we stash our personal stuff. Don't have time to expound since I have to get ready for my MWF mtg, but sheesh. So much emotional stuff going on right now- and some of it definitely delayed rxn (yesterday) to what's been happening.

How was the clinic Penny? Vol with the Humane Society is on my list here soon.

Laters all
A
Old 10-10-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Badger, I have heard about that movie..I am not going to see it for awhile. Too much too soon I guess. I do see a dr for anxiety/depression. Lifelong anxiety issues, even as a wee one, so it's taking lots of work. I definitely was drinking to control it while at the same time knowing it would ramp it up. Bananas!

The spay and neuter clinic was rewarding, but hard. It's for feral cats... the trappers are the colony feeders who trap, neuter/spay then release back to the colony. The goal is to manage down the colonies. I know they will have such a better life after they are fixed, but it's hard seeing them so scared in the traps, and the males so beaten up from fighting. My main volunteer "gig" is a rescue group working with adoptable kitties. (We do take in the kittens or non ferals that come in from this clinic that can be adopted)
I have learned to step back for a while if it gets me down, to protect sobriety. Can be very sad, very happy in same day.

17 more days until the big 90. Can't wait!

Did anyone see that video of the clown dummy flying around on a drone? That was funny! I do think this will fade away as those teenage girls were arrested for disorderly conduct.

Love y'all xoxo
Old 10-10-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi OT, Penny, HOF Badger, Mel, Jeni, August, Lee, and everyone else, including you lurkers. It sounds like a mixed weekend for us...Penny, sorry about the triggers...I KNOW you can handle this. August, I can't believe the hours you're working. Good point about the dropped plates....all these benefits we never even knew would come with sobriety,.. you get the benefit of the doubt and not the stink eye from the boss. Penny, I know what you mean about the cats.... those abused animal ads are a huge trigger for me... one came on last night during the crime ID shows I like to watch on Sunday, and I felt instantly triggered. So depressing. . .
Old 10-10-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I read girl on a train. Now, the book is very elightening. She goes through a lot of stress and work to keep her secret. She feels a lot of remorse and shame. The movies never do the book justice. I may watch it though as the book got pretty confusing towards the end. Sorry so many of you hate your jobs. I'' a huge fan of upwork. Online virtual positions. Before I started my company I was just about full time with clients. Loved working from home and yhe flexible schedule. PL I hope your brain calms down with another 30 days. No AV is definitely serenity. Glad you are safe Lee! August not sure what happened at work. I find the best way to feel less stress, anxiety, frustration, etc is to practice gratefulness. Be sure to feel lucky to be alive, to have not lost people that are special, to not have to beg for food, to have your health, to not have cancer,etc etc etc Life is short people. Enjoy every day. Do not sweat the small stuff. Ok rant over.