Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 21

Old 11-17-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Heard on the news that 1 in 7 Americans will struggle with addiction in their lifetime. 21M Americans estimated to be currently addicted.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Way to go OT. That's fantastic. Feel better. It's almost Friday. Especially for you at this moment.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:58 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hey Lee, when I was studying like that for a professional exam I made sure to make time out to exercise. I found that was helpful to studying.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Badger07 View Post
Heard on the news that 1 in 7 Americans will struggle with addiction in their lifetime. 21M Americans estimated to be currently addicted.
I thought I was the only one going through an addiction. I was isolated and paralyzed by guilt. I was shocked when I found SR to see how many people were going through or had gone through the same miserable experience. I realized it wasn't some character flaw on my part... I just caught in an addiction and had to be honest enough to face up to it and admit it before I could get better.
Old 11-18-2016, 01:01 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Morning all! Definitely getting ill. Working my notice is such a pain, I could spend the weekend resting if I didn't have to.

Still kind of in shock about being shortlisted. I'm just some gal who went to a rough school and worked several bad retail jobs to support their addiction. Hardly top UK university student standard. Oh well.

The book I'm reading covers that at the moment Badger. There is a terrifying amount of people going through addiction, but even more people who don't understand addiction at all.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Badger07 View Post
Sad statistic indeed. I wonder if opiates have now surpassed alcohol? Although double addiction would be hard to section out I suppose.

Lee, a colleague said she researched the most effective schedule for studying. It was quite off the wall, something like 57 minutes study, 9 minutes rest. Odd, not even numbers that didn't equal 60 min. and she set a timer. It didn't work for me at all, the schedule-phobe. What maths are you studying? Glad you are catching sleep when you can.

OT, feel better soon our little shining star

I have a dent and stitches in my head from skin cancer removal so I could not attend the one yoga class that really calms me down. The early morning anxiety flight out of the house into the dark yard was not good with a pounding head and cold air. Good note, cold air finally! I saw a group of people walking with flashlights, it was 345 am. I thought are they mad? , as I hid behind a palm tree barefoot in pj's. Palm trees are not a good hiding behind choice. I waved I'm okay, just needed fresh air, then dashed inside. I'm going to head to a meditation garden soon and see how that goes.

Have a good Friday and Saturday Febs!
xoxoxoo
Old 11-18-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Thanks Penny. I hope you feel better soon as well, go easy on yourself.

I'm off to bed now. Long day of work tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

In the airport again. I can still hear the song of the bar sirens. But it's manageable now. Nasty demons they are.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:33 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,
End of a long week. The sleeplesssness and studying continues. Really has been an interesting week. Need to get to the bottom of my sleeplessess. Used to think it was drinking-related, but now I remember, as a child, I could NEVER sleep, like EVER.

Penny--It's strong algebra II and geometry, which I did well in as a kid, but I'm 45 now, lol. I have not done a real math problem in years.

It definitely helps to break up the studying. We tend to remember the first and last things we learn, so the more study events we have, the better. I try to study for no more than 1 hour at a time, but study about 3 hours a day right now. I only have until December 3rd.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Morning all- just a quick hello. Mulling over stuff from a family dinner last night including some really astute observations from Cliff about my mom's alcoholic mind being abundantly in action. Striking newcomers perspective.

Happy Sat to all-
A
Old 11-19-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Penny, that's a weird thing to see. I had to re read to see if you were describing a dream. Why were they out at 3 45 a.m. with flashlights. So bizarre.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
Penny, that's a weird thing to see. I had to re read to see if you were describing a dream. Why were they out at 3 45 a.m. with flashlights. So bizarre.
Yeah, I watched them approaching for a bit and think they are a nocturnal walking group, really weird. They were in the street, not on the sidewalk, but they would have had to walk single file on the sidewalk . Their flashlights were straight ahead and down, so, not looking for something. The neighborhood is really dark. They were not young. If I see them again (will throw on sweats and jacket first in case) I will talk to them. Maybe there is a club of fellow insomniacs I should join in the neighborhood I really should have gone inside right away in case they were nefarious but was toooo curious. I saw those Heavens Gate people once and thought they were a club tho, so who knows .
Old 11-19-2016, 02:50 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

PL were they playing Pokemon Go? That might explain it. Busy week. Hope you get sleep Lee. You never answered me about Melatonin? Its a natural substance your body produces. 3mg 30 mins before bed should work. Have a safe trip Badger. Every Thursday morning I see a huge trailer truck delivering alcohol to a corner store. Stocking up for the weekend. If thats just representation of one small section of America - there's a big problem going on everywhere. If you click on a map of opiate deaths from this past year in any major city you will be shocked. K time for a movie. Night Febs! Oh and Congrats OT on the shortlist!!!
Old 11-20-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

I have decided these nocturnal walkers are vampire killers. Like middle aged Buffys.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Speaking of Buffy, I don't understand the excitement over the Gilmore Girls reunion or whatever. I never got into Lorelei and mom, I guess!

Lots of work, next day off is ... Tgiving.

Hope all have a great start to the week.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Everything is going great, except I'm beat. Disneyland is pretty alcohol free, so this is a great environment, not that there's much thought of drinking. California Adventure, however, is a different story. They're pushing the booze in the form of little stores that sell booze including hard alcohol as far as I can tell, to have in little cups and walk around with. Still, very few people drinking. Nothing at all like Cabo, where drinking was pushed to an insane degree.

August, let us know if you see the middle age vampire killers again.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

I have a stinking cold right now, as soon as workload slows down my body decides to get sick. I'm going to bed, I'll catch up with ya'll tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

OOTT, that is weird to have alcohol at Cal Adventure. I was there last for a meeting and they served alcohol but I thought cause it was for a private party after closing only, not an all day thing. Probably the $ they make on it is worth cleaning up barf on the roller coaster.
August, I never got into Gilmore Girls either,.too blabby.. Yappety yap shows get on my nerves.
Badger, I saw a scene of west world, someone was knawing on a leg..😲! Probably not so horrifying in context.
OT, headcolds blow. Ugh!
PHRD- how are your sinus problems?

Not feeling it today at all, not one bit. I'm very annoyed I cannot have wine on Thanksgiving. I'm going to visit my oldest and best friend (since age 7!) And we are going to a good restaurant. Its the setting I most enjoy wine and rarely would have more than a glass or two. I just have to keep the blackouts, home accidents, ER visits, bottle hiding, self hatred top of mind. I found a bottle in the garage just the other day. What a horrible existence that was. Im still pissed in advance about Thanksgiving tho. Going to take one of my emergency sleeping pills from my precious stash now, this mood needs to go. Nite all! Lee, hope you get some sleep too!
Old 11-21-2016, 10:56 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Dragging myself into college this morning to keep up my 100% attendance. Fingers crossed I can actually make it in, getting home last night was a nightmare with all the flooding.

No way you can visit your friend in a different setting Penny?
Old 11-22-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PennyLane76 View Post

Not feeling it today at all, not one bit. I'm very annoyed I cannot have wine on Thanksgiving. I'm going to visit my oldest and best friend (since age 7!) And we are going to a good restaurant. Its the setting I most enjoy wine and rarely would have more than a glass or two. I just have to keep the blackouts, home accidents, ER visits, bottle hiding, self hatred top of mind. I found a bottle in the garage just the other day. What a horrible existence that was. Im still pissed in advance about Thanksgiving tho. Going to take one of my emergency sleeping pills from my precious stash now, this mood needs to go. Nite all! Lee, hope you get some sleep too!
Yaaaassss!!! So me, what you described. We are going out to the city club and it will be lovely. I am not worried about the wine part (I totally used to be the person you just described there) and I DO need to remember just this, even though I feel secure in my sobriety (right now). My devotional today was about just this- we need to remember where we were and how awful it was, to keep us right sized as we say in AA. I found a crystal glass with red wine dregs in it a week or so ago- hidden, of course, in the back of the collection in the cabinet. I decided NOT to wash it out, and put it right back - so I will find it whenever I move and have another reminder!!!

Nine months! Feels great. I have so much support and truly felt great yesterday when my sponsor told me how incredibly devoted I am to my program. Words like "dedicated," "thoughtful" and "invested" are those I want to be as far as my program is concerned!!

Work has been great and not just because it has been profitable (which it really needed to be so there's that!). Handling things....evenly. Need to take that mindset into the two days I will have with Cliff and the part we will be with my family. Had some upheaval- mostly internal but also a little with my mom- in the past couple of weeks, dealing with classic AA mind of "being disturbed." Must stay true to my program. Lots of meetings with timely topics for me in the past week!

Happy Tu to all - weird random thought- how quickly Fat Tues itself will be upon us! I am not a big Mardi Gras etc person (never was- more raised in the Lent part of all that) but just had a flash to future conversations about other "drinking holidays."

Take care everyone-
A

PS OT! The colds. Sheesh. Already with two plus the strep in the past two months- probably need to gird up for more this winter. Take care of yourself.