Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread part 11

Old 10-06-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thumpa, I'm glad to hear your Mom and Kevin are able to get away, they've had quit a challenge. Hopefully, Chris will be able to defy the odds.

Thanks for bringing up the subject of people skills, I too have noticed a big improvement in my "tolerance" of people. I've had several near miss accidents lately, where the other driver did something incredibly stupid, and remarkably, it barely phased me. Amazing this new drug called sobriety!
Old 10-06-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post
One thing I've found, in recovery, is that I actually like people more. Perhaps its because I'm not projecting my own dislikes of myself? Or is it perhaps I'm projecting that I like myself more nowadays? Or maybe, just maybe, I'm seeing things and people clearly?

No matter which it is -- and I still like my "me" time, don't get me wrong -- I've found over the last year that sober-me likes people a lot more than drunk-me ever did.

Kevin's recovery from surgery has gone well, and they're headed up to Massachussetts for their annual vacation. I'll be taking care of their house and pool.

The one dark note is that their live-in handyman, a friend and old neighbor of mine, has been diagnosed with cancer (hence my taking care of things). It's an aggressive, squamous tumor (most likely two tumors, according to the whitecoats), and I'm steeling myself for the worst. Keep swingin', brotha Chris.
^^^^Great insight Thump!!

Glad Kevin's recovery is going well but sorry about your friend Chris.
You've certainly had many ups and downs lately. Take care friend...xxxx
Old 10-06-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Right there with you on the tolerance Odelle. Sobriety rocks!
Drinking gave me a short fuse
Old 10-06-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

prayers for your friend Thumpa.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:32 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Amazing this new drug called sobriety!
It's funny, ain't it? After spending a couple of decades pickled, being sober feels like a high all its own.

The scary question is, am I still looking for a buzz? Am I happy walking on a pink cloud?

Originally Posted by bandicoot2 View Post
Right there with you on the tolerance Odelle. Sobriety rocks!
Drinking gave me a short fuse
You know, honey, I'd always thought of myself as a "happy drunk". Looking back, I see that I was quicker to take umbrage, quicker to take offense.

What scares me is that that pattern seems to be holding over ... I'm having a hard time shedding the butthurt.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took a while for me Thumpa.

I thought so little of myself in many ways yet my pride was hurt when others seemed to think little of me too.

Only a fellow alcoholic would understand that.

The more I thought of myself the greater my 'inner compass' and the easier it was for me to have a keen and clear perspective on other people and what they said did or thought.

I think resentments were prime drinking fodder and it took a while to shake that habit.

D
Old 10-07-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I totally get that.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi Jannies,

Happy Friday!

Thump, I am glad your mom and Kevin are doing well, I am sorry to hear about your friend. I will send some prayers your way.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hi Delilah----how are you? Hope you have a weekend full of rest and better health.....take care!
Old 10-07-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bandicoot2 View Post
Hi Delilah----how are you? Hope you have a weekend full of rest and better health.....take care!
Hi Bandi,

Still working on getting healthy. I emailed the doctor today because the fever isn't going away and now the right side of my face hurts to touch, and is swollen near my eye. I am guessing that is something to do with sinuses. I have an appointment tomorrow at 10:10. I will let you guys know what the doctor says after.

Hope you are enjoying the start to your weekend!

❤️ Delilah
Old 10-07-2016, 10:48 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can get some relief Delilah

D
Old 10-07-2016, 11:00 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Get better soon, D ... hugs to you, hon.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Odelle -- 9 months for you today!!! Good for you!!! -

Hope you're enjoying your time before the new job begins, take care. xxxx
Old 10-08-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Thanks Bandi, looking back, this is a near 40 year record for me. I want to continue making each and every day a new record.

We're back into 90 degree weather, so it was perfect for bathing the dog, and Mimi. Yes, she is so mellow she doesn't even mind baths. I wouldn't even attempt bathing Psycho Kitty.

I hope you're feeling better, Delilah.

Thumpa, how is your cabinet coming along?
Old 10-08-2016, 11:04 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hiya Odi, congrats on nine months, love. The cabinet's coming along slowly, but getting there. Got some cutting and sanding done Wednesday ... I'm thinking I have to pick up the pace at your insistence.

Since getting back on the Horse, things have been really good. Emotions mellow, loving the arrival of autumn. Kevin's recovery was fast enough that he and Mom were able to make their annual vacation in Massachussetts as planned. I spoke with Chris, their live-in handyman, for the first time today since his release from hospital Thursday. He had his first chemo yesterday, and is in good spirits, though the slug hasn't hit him yet -- it often takes a couple of days for chemotherapy to fatigue you. As he described it (and judging from my son's mom's long-running battle with cancer), his regimen seems light, telling me that the dark thinking earlier about two tumors was either falsified or that the tumors were found to be not as active as first feared. At any rate, the regimen they've laid out for him indicates that it's not as aggressive as I first feared.

It's been a good few days, and I'm happy to be alive.

I even heard a song tonight, from the old New Wave band the Motels -- "Suddenly, Last Summer" -- that would've choked me up not so long ago for how its lyrics seemed written for my late relationship. But as I listened to them today, I only told myself, "Yeah, that's pretty much how it went down," and went on about my business.

It happened one summer, it happened one time
It happened forever, for a short time
A place for a moment, an end to dream
Forever I loved you, forever it seemed
One summer never ends, one summer never began
It keeps me standing still, it takes all my will
And then suddenly last summer
Sometimes I never leave, but sometimes I would
Sometimes I stay too long, sometimes I would
Sometimes it frightens me, sometimes it would
Sometimes I'm all alone and wish that I could
Until suddenly last summer
Until suddenly last summer
Funny what peace does to a man. I'm going to learn this for my next open-mic, once I feel comfortable enough to do that sort of thing again.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Thanks Bandi, looking back, this is a near 40 year record for me. I want to continue making each and every day a new record.
^^^^Right there with you. Let's DO this girl!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2016, 06:35 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus View Post

Since getting back on the Horse, things have been really good. Emotions mellow, loving the arrival of autumn.

It's been a good few days, and I'm happy to be alive.

Funny what peace does to a man.
All good stuff Thump....thank you for sharing. -
Take care bud!
Old 10-09-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Delilah??? Thinking about you and hoping you got some extra help and meds yesterday. Check in when you're up to it and in the meantime hope you're getting lots of rest, family care and chicken soup.....
Old 10-09-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Okay, last post and then it's time to make something happen today. Church, family visit -, bike ride and maybe some gardening. And maybe the 2nd debate tonight

I've been dealing with a lot of anger and resentment on the home front. The AA & Alanon speaker tapes help me realize it's best to look inside and take care of me because I can't change my husband. The sad reality is that he's a daily heavy drinker with many other emotional issues and it's weighing on my own quest for joy and serenity. I'm actually amazed that I got sober in my own home given all the alcohol present on a daily basis and during the seemingly endless hospitality he loves to offer others. Things may come to a head sooner than I would like since I'm working under the guidelines of 'Don't make any major changes during the 1st year of sobriety" We shall see....sure could use some prayers and good vibes. Thanks Jannies......xxxx
Old 10-09-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Bandi, sending prayers and good vibes your way. Personally, I doubt I would have been strong enough to have pulled myself out of the grip alcohol had on me, had there been alcohol in my house and in my presence during early recovery. You are an amazingly strong lady and I hope that you are able to find the peace and contentment in life that we all strive for.

Stay on the path that you have chosen Bandi, and maybe your husband will choose to follow. It really comes down to that, choice, and until the negative effects of alcohol outweigh the delusional benefits, your words will fall upon deafened ears.