Notices

Class of March 2016 part 33

Old 09-30-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It was probably a pretty small file anyway Thirteenth

D
Ever the modest one. It was substantial, of course.

I don't have much to say right now except Happy Friday. Happy sober day regardless of the calendar. I'll do a better check in later.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Hello just checking in. I haven't been around much I have kind of been stuck in a hole again. I am 18 days sober though so I'm not in a drinking hole at least. Just really been emotional and feeling alone for some reason. I'm on antidepressants and mood stabilizers but it isn't working for me at the moment. I guess I don't don't know where this came from. I'm not going to drink though so that good. I can't drink anyways with the meds they have me on. Hope everyone is doing well I'll read some posts later.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

18 days is awesome Keets! So good to see you. I was worried. Sorry you're not feeling well but you seem good. Latch onto that good feeling I see and roll with it. You are strong.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

another day of sobriety
185 days
6 months
thank you to everyone here for all the help
my parents are in town for homecoming my brother has put together another winning season so we are having a lot of fun on Friday nights.
When my brothers were playing I use to bring Brandy to the games my mom used to get so mad, oh well that was over 30 years ago.
I just talked to my daughter she was saying she gets hangovers when she drinks and my son can drink like I did, drink all day and never get sick they were in Vegas a couple weeks ago so she saw him in action.
anyways I wish everyone a Happy Sober Friday
Old 09-30-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Happy 6 months Fred!!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Euphoric Recall!

Euphoric recall was one of the biggest reasons I relapsed after 5 + years and the one of the biggest things I struggle with NOW. It's a REAL thing! Our brain is extremely powerful...beyond our understanding sometimes. I wanted to post this article again because when I posted it yesterday it was very hard to read and now I am on a computer.

Read it! It will help! Love you all!

__________________________________________________ _____________________

How Does Euphoric Recall Contribute to Relapse?

Addiction is both a physical and psychological disease. While many people mistakenly believe that the physical aspect of the disease is more powerful, it is actually the psychological side of addiction that causes more relapse. Learning how the addicted brain works can empower a recovering addict to avoid relapse.

How Psychological Addiction Works
The euphoric high felt during drug or alcohol abuse directly affects an area of the brain called the pleasure or reward center. This is the same part of the brain that manages a variety of important psychological functions such as the following:
-Emotional response
-Anxiety management
-Coping with stress
-Reinforcing behaviors (forming habits)
-The ability to resist impulses
-The formation and recollection of memories

Drugs and alcohol provide real, albeit temporary, relief of emotional pain or distress in this part of the brain. When the substance wears off and the underlying psychological disorder begins to take over, the brain will use every psychological tool at its disposal to get those chemicals again. One of the most problematic of these symptoms especially after months of recovery is a phenomenon called euphoric recall.

How Euphoric Recall Works
Because the formation and recollection of memories is managed in this same area, the brain may choose only to bring to mind the fun times or highlights of past drug use. The user will not remember the pain, sickness, destruction, disappointment or trapped feelings of addiction , only the good times. This can lead a person to romanticize their previous substance abuse and spend too much time thinking back on it longingly.

This type of distorted memory can also lead people to feel overconfident in their ability to resist relapse, which may cause them to place themselves in high-risk environments. A recovering alcoholic, when walking past a bar, may think back to some fun times and then tell himself that he can handle the temptation to drink now. He goes into the bar where the positive memories collide with his weakened state of alertness; before he knows it, he has relapsed.

How to Stop Euphoric Recall
While you cannot stop euphoric recall, one of the most powerful tools to overcome it is through relational accountability. Make sure you have a friend or sponsor who you have especially empowered to hold you accountable for your time, words, money and actions. Another person can provide the accurate perspective that euphoric recall destroys. You may start to become nostalgic for your party days, but a good accountability partner will remind you of the broken relationships, the misery of withdrawal and the positive aspects of being clean and sober.

Journaling can also be extremely helpful (AND GO BACK AND READ YOU JOURNAL IN MOMENTS OF WEAKNESS); especially as it relates to identifying faulty or incomplete memories and filling in those gaps during weak moments. In time you can train your mind to remember all aspects of the disease of addiction, not just the distorted ones.

xoxo
Old 09-30-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Congrats Fred! 6 Months!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

PR I love that idea for a costume! That's hilarious!

Looks like I'll be sticking close by SR again this weekend (you have been warned! Lol) ~ I haven't really had a craving but it's more like that nagging Friday afternoon itch (it sure rhymes with itch!!!)

Anyway, guess I'll find another scary movie to watch ~ Hope everyone is having a nice relaxing weekend!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Quick check in. Company picnic today. No beer here. Was kind of afraid, but couldn't get out of it since I am the one that puts it together. It really was okay though.

Thanks, class, for helping me get here.

Congrats, Fred! So proud of you.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been away. The app on my phone crashes every time I try to post ever since I "upgraded" to iOs 10. I'd like to say I've been sober the whole time I've been away...but I haven't. I am now though and have been for several days. My last relapse left me with a miserable cold and sinus infection as well so I have been sick and fighting through it; going to work as much as possible as I feel responsible for this illness. Of course then I made a mistake at work yesterday (nothing to do with drinking) which one of my bosses called me about once I got home. Now I am just obsessing about it and feel terrible
Old 09-30-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Typing on my kindle sorry. Anyway I'm anxious for Monday when I get to speak to the higher boss about my mistake. All the more important I stay sober and clear headed.
ive been folloeig you guys even tho I haven't posted and you have supported me without knowing it so thankyou! I am so proud of all our sober time! Xoxox
Old 09-30-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Keets, sounds as if you are feeling very flat and not seeing anything good around the corner. I have felt something like that. Apathetic, no energy, depression etc- I am sure you know every word in the dictionary for crappy feelings. I did not ever even think life was not worth any effort. I was in such a dark place- I knew not to drink, but I felt trapped, suffocating. I did not know what to do. So I tried anything that might help. My family had abandoned me, I was living in a very unsafe place with a lot of baggage. I was very scared. So I tried, just a little. I crawled off to Church- did not do much- but the people saw I was in a bad way- made me go to morning tea- gave me flowers. Kept me sane for a morning- did not rediscover god (I thought perhaps I would win the spiritual lottery- NUP.) Then tried this'n that. AA meetings- someone saw me and helped. Made myself re see a doc. So still felt crap- hard, very hard work. But I did it. Step by agonising step. Just thinking literally about the next breath. Slowly the dull grey of reality turned a little colour. Talk, share, go to a meeting- you know the drill. Don't give up on yourself, you are worth it- life- a better life - for yourself. Remember- strength in unity.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulRain View Post
Hi everyone! I'm still here just crazy busy. My wee one turned 2, usually after a birthday I get to put my cricut machine away but not this time. My daughters birthday is at the end of next month and she's having a big party this year. Then my sister decided she wanted to throw a costume birthday party for her and her husband the weekend before my daughters and asked me to make a bunch of decorations for that. As if that wasn't enough we decide to throw a small opening night party for hockey GO KINGS! Of course I MUST make a Kings banner now!!!!

So do you guys remember the movie There's Something About Mary? Remember the "hair gel" scene with her hair sticking straight up? THAT is my costume for my sisters party. I wanted something more homemade (I looooove homemade costumes) and not from party city or something. I think that's hilarious, I kill myself sometimes

Well that's what I've been up to. I took yesterday off, no school, no parties, just laundry and cuddle time with my kiddos. Stay sober today friends, happy Friday!
Hey PR! It sounds like you are having a lot of fun and that costume sounds hyterical! lol
Old 09-30-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I shared this with our friends in the 24 hour forum....thought it might set a good mood for the weekend. (I sure need to remember this!) We can all get through this crap together
Old 09-30-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Close call for me tonight but worked through it (hard) with some help. <3

That means I am closing out 40 days.

I will try hard to stop saying "of this go around" because I want it to be my last go around lol. However it also reminds me that I've put in a LOT of sober days since deciding I had a problem for sure back in April 2014 (SR join date!).

I think the rainy weather has surely put a damper on things. Hopefully sunny fall will be back soon.

I have a tough week ahead with my son's birthday, and my sisters wedding week (haha - when you're the sister and a bridesmaid and mother of the flower girl.....etc). All reasons I absolutely should stay sober and present and helpful. That said - I have a history of relapsing AFTER surviving big events.

Hugs everyone and send the sleep fairies my way!
Old 09-30-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

*1Stepup: HOW ARE YOU and how is AA? Are you still loving it? Thinking of you!

*AppleKat: Hey gurlllll!!!

*Beerbgone (BBG): I was thinking about you this morning! I was so tired and I could almost hear your voice saying “I am gonna have a cup of startin’ fluid!” lol!

*Bobbie: Great job on avoiding that beer (aka poison). Beer is fattening and over-rated anyway! YUCK!

*Casey: What are you up to? Did you get settled in your new city? Start your new job? Sorry if you already told us but I may have missed it. You must have like 202 days now? Amazing!

*Clearlyheaded: You will have 1 week tomorrow. You know that is amazing, right?

*Fred: Wow! That's impressive! 6 months! I am glad your daughter is talking to you about your son's drinking so you can keep an eye on him. I worry about my kids too since alcoholism is often genetic. BUT, the great thing is if we are sober then we can be there for them if they ever need us. I am glad you are enjoying the games on Friday nights.

*immri: I hope things are starting to slow down a little bit for you. CHECK IN! We would love to hear from you! xo

*Jemma: Hey friend! Great to see you. I am so glad you checked in. I hope you are starting to turn the corner. Sinus infections suck! I used to go out and drink when I was sick and rationalize it by saying "the doctor told me to drink lots of FLUIDS!!!" OMG! What an idiot I was. lol. Then the next day I would be puking AND sneezing/coughing. As far as your boss is concerned, just be honest and tell him/her that you have been sick and it was hard to focus. As long as it doesnt happen constantly I feel like you will be fine. Keep us posted!

*Kayak63: How is AA going? I saw your “shot gun” post a few days ago and it made me laugh. MISS YOU!

*Keets: Great to see you and congrats on 18 days. From what I remember from the first time I was sober for over 5 years our moods are all over the place for at least the first year. Just ride them out. There will be highs and lows. I need to remind myself of that sometimes! Hang in there! I hope you check in again soon!

*Ladybug2: HOW ARE YOU? Are your little one’s letting you get any sleep?

*LillianGish: I hope you aren’t working too hard!

*LostLilly: Hey girl! I saw that you joined the September 2016. I hope a fresh start helps you. You are ALWAYS welcome back here! NO ONE will judge you! We love you!

*ManInTheArena (MITA): Hey! Are you doing well? Haven’t heard from you in a while. Would LOVE to! 

*Mish: Hey Mish! I hope you are doing well. WE MISS YOU!

*Missy7: Hey! I know you haven’t checking in a while but I wanted to let you know that we miss you and hope you are doing well.

*PeacefulRain: Yes! I have to admit I am loving the cool fall-like temps! The summer was miserable! Way to hot!

*Pelagic263: How are you doing tonight?

* PhoenixJ: I LOVED your post about not giving up! As hard as it has been for you, you are proof that if we just put one foot in front of eachother and take even a tiny bit of action things will get better. You inspire me!

*Purplrks: HEY! Stick as close as you need to Purp. I will try to check in often tonight. What scary movies do you like?

*Sam: I hope you are enjoying your date with your hubby! Eat some yummy food!!!

*Spacegoat: How are you friend? Ive been thinking about you!

*Thirteenth: Happy Friday to you too!

Old 09-30-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Fred - and to you too Keets - good to see you - I hope maybe posting more might keep you out of the doldrums?

great to see you 1step - congrats on 40

hope everyone has an awesome sober weekend
D
Old 09-30-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by purplrks3647 View Post

i shared this with our friends in the 24 hour forum....thought it might set a good mood for the weekend. (i sure need to remember this!) we can all get through this crap together
love that!!!
Old 09-30-2016, 05:20 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Hi everyone! Close call for me tonight but worked through it (hard) with some help. <3

That means I am closing out 40 days.

I will try hard to stop saying "of this go around" because I want it to be my last go around lol. However it also reminds me that I've put in a LOT of sober days since deciding I had a problem for sure back in April 2014 (SR join date!).

I think the rainy weather has surely put a damper on things. Hopefully sunny fall will be back soon.

I have a tough week ahead with my son's birthday, and my sisters wedding week (haha - when you're the sister and a bridesmaid and mother of the flower girl.....etc). All reasons I absolutely should stay sober and present and helpful. That said - I have a history of relapsing AFTER surviving big events.

Hugs everyone and send the sleep fairies my way!
I have faith in you! You are doing so great. Stick close!
Old 09-30-2016, 05:21 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Off to get my favorite carryout! CHIPOTLE! Yum! Night guys and girls! xo