Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 8

Old 11-06-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

LOL-- it was jammies all day today! Watching the last of the Packer game and then dinner. And early to bed. Monday comes pretty early after the weekend.
Hope ya'll had a wonderful day, and enjoy the evening my friends!
XOXO-
Camery
Old 11-08-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Hi guys, hope you're all doing fine... sending lots of love, almost midnight here so sleepy time for me x
Old 11-08-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Hey All! It's finally here! Election Day in the U S of A! Wohoo!!! No more debates or nasty campaign ads! Finally, "regular old news" will be the news again....well maybe that will take a few days but hey, I'm excited! I hit the polls early, so now we wait and see. I will miss the SNL skits (kind of).
Hope all of you are well!
Old 11-09-2016, 01:56 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Hey, all.

Quick Wednesday evening check-in. I've decided that the world has gone utterly insane this year - first Brexit, now Trump ... I'm glad to live in a sleepy little backwater on the wrong side of the planet. I've been following the results all day at work (where precisely zero work got done!) - the mood in the office was general shock and despair, I think. It's been good to come home and decompress with tea. There was a time when I'd have used the result to drink away the sadness that the glass ceiling is so very real and experience and education count for so little. I admit to turning to yoghurt and pineapple as a comfort food indulgence. But at least it's natural sugar, right Elke?! Underscores the work I still have to do to deal with life on life's terms. Plans for this evening are to meditate and read for a while. It'll be nice to get away from the news for a bit.

Hope everyone's going okay.
Old 11-09-2016, 02:39 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Well things may take a little longer to return to normal than first anticipated.....didn't see Trump snagging that win.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

I hear you Flossy, I had a similar day, completely shocked same as Brexit. Lets hope it will turn out ok. Hmm, I love pineapple too.

We went to visit friends last night and it's always me driving so I have an excuse. Yesterday they were drinking Gin and Orange, never been my favorite, but there was my cup of tea next to the glass full of drink and the old AV tried to crawl out, only for a minute. It shows how quickly it happens and I had my guard up straight away. We had lots of laughs and it reassured me that I can have fun without drinking.

Hey Camery lovely to hear that you're settling down in your new life.

Sim, I thought of you today, I was so wound up about the news and I thought I need to get out for a run and exhaust myself. How's the running going girl.

Jo, I saw you posting on another thread and will catch you there, hope you're ok.

Lots of love to all Mayflies X
Old 11-09-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Hi all. Hope you are all well.....yes it's been a startling day across the pond although I must admit I'm not altogether shocked. There's a movement of protest slowly spreading over this planet of ours I feel. Just shows that we really are powerless over the actions of others. So my choice is to take care of my nearest and dearest and keep my side of the street clean. That's all I have for now.
Just off to an AA meeting my favourite one so I'm looking forward to it. Take care all. Jojo xxx
Old 11-09-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Well said Jo!
Old 11-09-2016, 02:11 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Elke-Running has been going well It's been a heck of a lot easier with me not smoking, that's 4sure! I'm making a conscious effort to keep up with it and I've also been making the effort to meditate daily.....although I suck at it.

I had my first "drinking dream" last night. I had a beer.....a sucky one at that (all hoppy and whatnot). I was so disappointed in myself for drinking.....and then I woke up. It felt very real....the disappointment I felt in myself was all too familiar. Thank God it was just a dream.

Jo-I agree.....there is a movement afoot throughout the world.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Oh great going Sim, I'm trying to 'learn' to meditate too but I find it hard to relax. Practice makes perfect...

hey CG, nice to see you reading... how are you?

Have a good one.....
Old 11-10-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Happy Thursday Mayflies! I hope you're all well I found myself reflecting on my recovery today and it seems at times as if I've been moving through it rather slow. At first, it was such a battle just to stay sober. After the day to day battle passed, I sort of found myself feeling lost....like who am I as a sober person and what do I do with myself now? I found myself all over the place emotionally without the crutch of alcohol and I wondered if I was even capable of living a sober life. Slowly i began to fill my time with productive things and my emotions began to stabilize somewhat. I began to deal with stress better in live time and alcohol wasn't the first thing on my mind when I had a bad day. Now, I find myself entering yet a different phase, I guess it's another step in adulting. Now I'm starting to identify what it is I want in life, mainly an internal sense of peace and contentment and I'm realizing that I have to challenge myself to grow emotionally to attain these things. I guess I'm learning there is a big difference between being sober and embracing life.
I can't create a new fulfilling life with the same old thinking and corresponding actions. Thank you sobriety for giving me the gift of sane thinking and clarity so that I can make the changes necessary to grow into the woman I have the potential to be. And thank you friends for being there with me throughout this journey!
Old 11-11-2016, 02:40 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Beautiful words Simplicity and very inspiring xxx
Old 11-11-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

I couldn't agree more.

To all Mayflies and Dee
Old 11-11-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Not sure it's a happy Friday here in America. It would appear we've lost our minds......and Trump is still the only thing on the news channels. UGH.
On a brighter note, the grandson crashed earlier than usual
Old 11-11-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  
Administrator

guys in case you missed it I've made a new ad-hoc ruling for the current political situation -

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-politics.html

not picking on anyone here...I'll mention it in other threads too as necessary

D
Old 11-12-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Gotcha Dee! Thanks for the heads up on the policy and for always looking out for us .....And on that note, sorry if I unintentionally upset any mayflies Love you guys
Happy Saturday! Not a whole lot on the agenda for this weekend. Dinner with friends tonight, grocery shopping, housecleaning, making an inventory of what it is I want out of life and compiling a list of how to attain said things with corresponding action plan....you know, the usual lol. Oh, and football. Lots of football! Wishing y'all a happy & sober weekend!
Old 11-12-2016, 04:01 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Hey Sim! Sounds like a lovely little weekend! Mine too is going to be steady and a bit productive I hope. Had fun last night helping out at my little girls school disco. Serving on the sweetie stall! They were like wild animals all that sugar! It was a wonderful feeling to help and that my daughter was happy that I was there....just knowing that a couple of weeks ago I'd have been going crazy for her to be back so I could drink is enough to make me super grateful.
Slow and steady no pink clouds for me......just got further away from alcohol each day and that will do me nicely xxx
Old 11-12-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Although if I'm being honest I've some worrying pain I think I need to go to the docs about (just putting it out there). This is a nightmare for me as I've been avoiding the docs like the plague till I get more sober time in. If I'm allowed to share it's my right breast that's sore.....have self examined quite a bit and there's nothing there. Also read that pain is rarely a sign of you-know-what (usually hormonal in a woman of my age) but I am a little worried. My dilemma is that firstly I'm scared that my doc will report me to social services for alcohol abuse (a long running fear) and also I'm scared that I'm too vulnerable for bad news......not even got 2 weeks under my belt yet. So there we have it......my fears and dilemma are out there.....xxx
Old 11-12-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday my lovely friends!
Hope you are all doing well! Busy week for me-- seems like crunch time is on at the bank, and I am stuck in the middle.
Sim-- sounds like a great day and weekend on tap for you. Enjoy!!!
Jo- I suffered a lot when I quit drinking with unidentified pain in my stomach, legs, etc. I self diagnosed myself until I was convinced I had pancreatic cancer, and all sorts of things. Turned out to be a combination of stress, anxiety, nerves and a pulled muscle. I can relate to your fears as well, since I had the same ones. It is possible it is hormonal, and one thing I learned is that your body changes when you stop feeding it poison day in and day out. Not sure what to tell you to do. If it is too painful, might not hurt to get it checked out.

Hope the rest of you are doing okay! All my best to everyone! I missed you guys this week!!!!

Have great day!
XOXO-
Camery
Old 11-12-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Although if I'm being honest I've some worrying pain I think I need to go to the docs about (just putting it out there). This is a nightmare for me as I've been avoiding the docs like the plague till I get more sober time in. If I'm allowed to share it's my right breast that's sore.....have self examined quite a bit and there's nothing there. Also read that pain is rarely a sign of you-know-what (usually hormonal in a woman of my age) but I am a little worried. My dilemma is that firstly I'm scared that my doc will report me to social services for alcohol abuse (a long running fear) and also I'm scared that I'm too vulnerable for bad news......not even got 2 weeks under my belt yet. So there we have it......my fears and dilemma are out there.....xxx
Glad you felt safe enough here to share. I can understand your fear all too well. A couple of months ago, I found a (painless) lump in my breast. I called the doc right away and scheduled an appt. and had to wait 3 weeks to see her, then waited another 2 weeks for a mammogram. The mammogram looked suspicious so they sent me for an ultrasound that same day (thank God...I would've gone out of my head if I had to wait again)....luckily, as it turns out, I have a cyst on the muscle of my chest wall and that is what I was feeling. They assured me all was well and it might stay or go but either way it was nothing to worry about. During those 5 weeks of waiting though, I felt very mortal and human. I was very aware that I couldn't afford to ignore it and yet at the same time I was terrified of what the results could be. Breast cancer? chemo? My hair. Mastectomy? My breast. Death? My children, my grand children, my husband. My life. TERIFFYING.
Although going to the doctor was intimidating, the not knowing was worse. In all likelihood, it's hormones, causing some breast tenderness, like you mentioned, but if it doesn't pass or if it continues to worry you, please get it looked at. I understand your fear of being reported to social services, however, you are sober. And you are involved with AA and receiving the support you need to maintain your sobriety. That is something to be proud of. So many people remain blanketed in the fear and shame which surrounds alcoholism. But that fear and shame can play against us and help to keep us sick. Take care of you; physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Look at it as 1 more layer of the old you that you are shedding and perhaps, 1 more layer of accountability, which we all need at times. Saying prayers for you!