Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 8

Old 10-20-2016, 10:55 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Simplicity - remember, this isn't 'normal' just now. This is a stressful event. Cut yourself some slack. Regular people react with junk food and caffine, too. You're handling it as normally as the next gal. Keep doing just what needs to be done and monitor yourself when needed. It's okay to know that the stress response might need some work. But it's also okay to know that now might be not the time to address it. Concentrate on getting through the best you can and bolster your plan when you have the reserves to. Aussie saying - she'll be right.

Apparently, I need to feed small children. Again. Small children with bottomless stomachs. Hello to everyone else!
Old 10-21-2016, 12:25 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Okay, to give this post some context, I'm an utter technophobe. So, understand why I'm practically hyperventilating with excitement. Ready?

I got my Spotify to talk to my Chromecast. <jaw drop, mouth agape, squeal like a three-year-old>

I am so easily pleased.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Great advice friends! I'm going to make time for a short walk today and once this blows over I going to tweak my plan for life's stressful moments.

Originally Posted by Flossyteacake View Post
Okay, to give this post some context, I'm an utter technophobe. So, understand why I'm practically hyperventilating with excitement. Ready?

I got my Spotify to talk to my Chromecast. <jaw drop, mouth agape, squeal like a three-year-old>

I am so easily pleased.
Congrats on the successful synching endeavor! As a fellow technophobe, I am beyond impressed and equate this celebrated task right up there with a successful shuttle launch!
Old 10-22-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Happy Saturday!
Not much to report here. Had a busy few days at work which let me exhausted and literally spent. Last night I was asleep by 8:00. ( so much for Friday night??)
But today, of course, I am up and at it early with some good java, no patio, since it is only 30 degrees, but relaxing nonetheless.
Had kind of a weird feeling as I was driving home from work last night. I was exhausted, but felt like doing "something". It was like I was trying to talk myself in to getting Vodka. I didn't of course, but it bothered me. And I don't even know how I talked myself out of it, but the thought never crossed my mind until this morning for some reason I thought about in the past when I used to drink vodka instead of coffee in the morning.
UGH................. I wont do it, but do these feelings ever go away?
I hope everyone is doing okay this morning after the brutal week some of you faced. My thoughts are with all of you as you go through these moments in your life that are hard and testing your every move.
Hang in there, it can only get better!
XOXO-
Camery
Old 10-22-2016, 11:41 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

UGH................. I wont do it, but do these feelings ever go away?
Hey Camery, good to hear you had a busy week
When I have those backflashes I try to find something positive about it. For example when I see bottles of alcohol in shops and the old AV wakes up I'm proud that I don't need it anymore and that I've learned to keep away from it.
That shuts up my AV and puts a smile on my face.

Have a good Sunday.... I will be diying tomorrow....eeeeekkkkk

Almost forgot to say that I've found this wonderful thread with readings from the book The language of letting go.
Have a peak...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-1-a-23.html
Old 10-22-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday friends! Finally able to sit a minute and catch my breath. My dad is on the mend! His lab work started improving yesterday but he was still in and out of it.....but today I can tell he has turned the corner towards recovery! He's complaining and out of bed sitting in a recliner. Not sure when he'll be discharged but at least we're out of the woods. Thanks so much for the prayers
Camery- I'm all too familiar with the lure of the AV. I still think about alcohol often It's like a bad relationship that had its good times but was overall too dysfunctional to continue....but you kind of miss it all the same.
Elke-what is happening tomorrow?
CG-Hope you're doing well and hanging in there! How are the meetings going?
Old 10-22-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me they did go away Cam...but I drank for 20 years...they didn't go away overnight

They did get easier to deal with tho - and they got easier when I started using other tools, apart from alcohol, for whatever was ailing me

Glad your dad is on the mend Simplicity

D
Old 10-23-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday everyone!
Beautiful sunny but crisp morning here!! Not sure what the agenda looks like today... we did a lot of running yesterday, so it may just be a relaxing day at the homestead, cooking and watching scary movies on Netflix.
Hope you are all doing well and enjoying your weekend.
XOXO
Camery
Old 10-23-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Sim, I'm glad your dad is feeling better.
I was doing DIY Do It Yourself renovating, we're converting an old building to live in... today I was preparing walls for painting.

It was a beautiful autumn day here today and I had a fantastic walk with the dogs.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Hey all
Hope you enjoy you down day Camery! Love me some lazy movie days, especially scary ones
Elke-that's awesome! Would love for a chance to do that....or at least I think I would Thanks for the clarification on the diying-lol. I can be a little slow at times.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:56 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Hi guys, just checking in. Hope you're all well!
Old 10-24-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone! Well my father was discharged from the hospital this afternoon! Glad we're done with that. Day 2 of no smoking....again. Suck. Suck. Suck. Suck. Suck. I've started and stopped again so many times over the years one would think I like the misery of it all. All I know is the struggle is real over here folks. Thinking about signing up for a marathon for next fall to give my lungs something to do. No motivation like struggling to regulate your breathing on mile 1. Going for a run now...#EmbraceTheSuck
Old 10-25-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Hey, everyone!! I bummed a computer today so I can hopefully catch back up with my BFF Mayflies

Sim -- glad to hear your Dad is doing better and that he was finally discharged! Quitting smoking on top of everything you have going on is admirable -- you're my hero! You seem to run a lot. Have you always done so? I do a couple miles on the elliptical and feel proud LOL

Elke & Cam -- so happy for you both that the new gigs are working out. Down days sound sublime. I caught a cold last week (ironically seven days after my stint in the "clink" where there wasn't even soap to wash your hands... gee, no idea how I got sick ) so any down time I have has been spent resting with Vicks Vapo-rub How is the renovation going, Elke? Cam, how are things going with your "new" roomie? Getting any better? Hugs

Flossyteacake -- OMG, laughed in sisterly understanding at your recent technology triumph. So, true!!!

Eagle -- how are things going? Thanks again for your advice and wisdom here. Yeah, that elevator definitely goes all the way to the basement. Glad I'm getting off at least on the bottom floor instead. Feeling pretty nervous and scared at the moment. Court date paperwork for the pretrial came last night. It's next week. I keep hearing how I'm going to lose my license, etc. and I cannot help but FREAK OUT. Not so great at the moment but no one to blame but myself. Just keep trying to remind myself that this, too, shall pass.

In other news, last night when I went to bed I officially had two weeks. Been going to an AA meeting every day. Haven't nailed down any potential sponsors as of yet, but definitely have been getting numbers. Strength in numbers, yes?

Just keep repeating, this too shall pass, this too shall pass, this too shall pass...
Old 10-25-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Forgot to say, big hello and hugs to all -- hope all is well with Jo, LW, Tootiesdad, Purple, Ben, and everyone I may have missed
Old 10-25-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you (((CG))) and huge congrats to 2 weeks sobriety and keeping up with meetings girl, very impressive.
I wish I could take a bit of your worries away from you...

Sim, well done for quitting the fags. NTAP Never take another puff... try whyquit.com for motivation. I used to have an online quit counter, it counts how much money you save. Best of luck...
Old 10-25-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Another day on the books here. Day 3 of no smoking God help me.

CG-Congrats on 2 weeks! Saying prayers for you and wishing you peace through all of this. I'm sure the waiting is hard with the mind spinning over all the possible outcomes......having no control is scary. Be gentle with yourself as much as possible, realizing that you are doing all that is in your power to do. All the rest is details. You are in no way a less valuable or capable human being based on the outcome of the court proceedings. Life may look a little different for awhile as you navigate through whatever the court decides but you will find your way through this, best case scenario or not, and this too shall pass. And when it does pass, do not allow this moment in time to become a regretful, shame inducing moment from your past to be hidden away like some skeleton in the closet. Instead allow this moment in time to be all that it holds the potential of being; the moment in time where you were empowered to take control of your life back, the moment you spread your wings to fly free of substance abuse Hold tight friend because your future is wide open and chock full of possibilities!
Old 10-25-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Elke-I will be sure to check out whyquit.com......lord knows I need all the motivation I can get! Thanks for the recommendation!

CG-p.s. I haven't always run. I started 7 years ago It does wonders for me on so many levels. It's a great stress/anxiety reliever, it helps keep me healthy, and I love accomplishing goals I never thought possible. The only downside I can think of is a couple of blisters.......oh and having to drop trowel at inopportune times when nature calls
Old 10-26-2016, 12:21 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Sim, i just remembered... if you're on FB try to find turkey ville, great support for quitting nicotine.

CG - thinking of you.

Today is my first day of cutting out the junk food for good.

So One Day At A Time for all of us. I've got a little poster here on the wall saying 'Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful' but for some reason when I say it out loud it's not coming from my heart. How do I get there? What is holding me back to believe it?
For a while now I've been thinking to study the codependency of which I have never heard before I joined SR. I think I will now.

Off to work now speak to you tonight.

Wishing you all a great and sober day, lot of love xxx
Old 10-27-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Hello Mayflies! The great smoke out continues here. Attitude improving as the cravings are getting easier to manage.
Elke-no face book here, but still appreciate the suggestion Wishing you the best in cutting out the junk food.....You're a brave soul. I can give up alcohol, I can give up cigarettes, but touch my junk food and draw back a stump.
I like the idea of "life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful"......so I guess we're at the same place on that one. I've also thought of investigating the mysteries of co-dependency. Seems so multi-faceted.....and a bit overwhelming....but would love any insight you wish to share.
A Big Hello to everyone else!
Old 10-28-2016, 12:55 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

I've got a little poster here on the wall saying 'Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful' but for some reason when I say it out loud it's not coming from my heart. How do I get there? What is holding me back to believe it?
2 days without the junk food and feeling good this morning, had a thought on the above and I think concentrating on the good things in life more than on the bad things life is wonderful. Hmmm

The funny thing is that I bought this little poster in a DIY shop and I had no idea that it would make me think so much about it.

Looking forward to learn more...

Have a good day everyone, thinking of you xxx