Notices

Class of September 2016 Part 2

Old 09-16-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Frightened

I am new to sobriety-one day. I made a big fool of myself ad feel ashamed. My daughters are frightened for me. I just need to figure out how a new alcohol free life will work. How to feel good about this step.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sadsadgirl View Post
Windancer-you're post really spoke to me. Particularly the part about your emotions being raw and all over the place. I felt exactly like that about one-two weeks ago when I was around 3-4 weeks sober. I didn't realise that it was part of the healing process, just thought something was wrong with me mentally. It's clear to me now that I should just have just strengthened my work on my plan and recognised the feeling for what they are-our brains repairing themselves and learning to live without alcohol. Thanks a bunch Windancer. It's strange how much of an epiphany I had from your words. This is why sticking round this forum is so important-we're learning from each other's experiences. Together we're stronger!
I am really glad my post helped you in some way, sadsadgirl. I've just quit and started again a few times now and so am used to what my brain does to me after that lol. But yes I agree sometimes it helps so much to be around other who understand.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I am halfway through day 7. When I wake up in the morning, I will be able to say I have been sober a whole week. Haven't been able to say that in a very long time. It is afternoon here now, which is the time of day my cravings are the strongest. Not quite as bad as days 3,4,5....but still strong enough that I have to chase them away. That is why I am logged on right now reading and posting. You all inspire me to keep going.

Let's all have a safe and sober weekend !! PEACE !! ✌️☮✌☮
Old 09-16-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Welcome mmjkee !! I am frightened too about what a sober life will be like. How I will be happy without a buzz and a drink in my had. I am on day 7 and already a little less anxious and sleeping a little better. It's been nice to not wake up hung over and feeling guilty.....only to do it all over again later that same day. Just get through 1 day at a time. The thought of staying sober for life is too overwhelming for me right now. But staying sober 1 day at a time is more manageable.

Keep posting....and welcome !! ✌️☮✌☮
Old 09-16-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Welcome mmjkee. Such a cliche but the first step really is admitting there is a problem and deciding to do something about it. Well done.

Great going on the almost week Rob. Imagine how great it's going to feel waking up on a Saturday morning with no hangover too That's what's kept me going tonight.

Haven't been on as been taking a break from the internet for a few days but also on day 7. Another reason being as a result of my last slip up after a week, I wanted to get it under my belt before I posted again. It's here now and rounding it up with the pjs on and about to head to bed, kindle in hand.

Will touch base here a lot more, hope everyone is having a peaceful and sober night.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Welcome MMJ!
Congrats on a week Rob! That's amazing !
I just got back from a lonnnnnnng walk. Got my haircut and grabbed a Starbucks . Feels good, this time last week I was still lying around with remnants of withdrawal after a binge. Alcohol really does take away living life.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Day 5, drinking has crossed my mind twice since my last post, but it was mild only lasted a moment at most. Hoping hoping hoping I can have a positive outlook. Dreaming of a time when my thoughts are of others and not constantly of myself and how I've gotten to where I am now. Building towards something special and concrete. Lasting serenity. Someday.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hello September class. I'm on day 6 and want to try again. I've been in a few different classes, but i'm not ready to give up yet. October fest is coming and i know that is going to be hard for me. But i'm just going to focus on the day. Sober date is 9/11 and i plan on keeping that as long as i can. you guys are such a great inspiration. We can do this. Waking up feeling good is way much better than any drink hands down.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeSoSober View Post
Yaaaaay! So glad you're feeling better, and I know you're glad too.

After my several-day binges, I can count on pretty much not sleeping at all for a couple of nights, then sleeping a little, and then by the fourth or fifth night I'd say I'm about back to normal. But we're all different.

Those couple of days after a bender are such a horror, I know what a relief it is, how good it feels to feel normal/good again.
Agree, when I was younger I'd just feel tired and be able to go to sleep but not now. I said in the last thread, I actually enjoy being sober and feeling mentally sharp but not being drunk. It feels good for the first one or two and then it's all downhill from there so I don't know why I do it.

Thanks to CutenGayYay mentioning AA speaker meetings yesterday, I'm planning to go to one next week. I know, big whoop, one meeting next week, but it's a pretty big deal for me to go an AA meeting voluntarily.
Well done, I have considered this, but obviously due to personal circumstances it is not possible right now.

Let us know how you get on

Day 6 now, I went to my mom's workplace earlier (was about 8pm), I haven't been there since I was about 8, she's had different jobs but she's back there again now. Was a bit of a strange feeling but I enjoyed it. T shirt and shorts in the breeze, felt great.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Martin1 View Post
Let us know how you get on
Thank you for this -- it KEEPS ME ACCOUNTABLE.

I will let you know, and now that I've said that, I'm less likely to back out of my plan.

You sound good, Martin -- miles away from where you were even a few days ago. I am too.

And the better I feel, the more vigilant I need to be, because for me, feeling good almost without fail means my guard goes down, and then before I know it I'm back at the liquor store.

I did go to the gym with my sister tonight, so that was good. Historically, taking great care of myself, investing time and sweat in my physical well-being, disciplining myself to eat well, has seriously decreased my desire to drink. The harder I work on healthful habits, the less I want to screw it up with alcohol.

So it's Friday night, but because I didn't drink I'm going to wake up Saturday feeling GOOD and make a day of it from there.

I hope all the rest of you do too. Be vigilant and strong!
Old 09-16-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Keep it up September! You can do it! I am 78 days now and every day it gets better.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Living the life

Windancer I am glad to see you are still posting and checking in.

I am on day 11. I had a great week camping with Mr. Troy. I really didn't miss the booze although I did think about it now and then. One challenge for me is coming up with something to drink that isn't alcohol, but I am loving the fruit juice/sparkling water drinks. I listened to some of the Bubble Hour podcasts and felt very connected. I finished reading "Wasted" which I found very insightful and also got quite a bit of fun reading in as well. I also got lots of walks in. A successful week by any measure.

Now it's back to reality and my noisy house full of contractors on Monday. I think the worst of that is behind me as well and I am optimistic moving forward.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:14 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

In bed, Friday's done. Almost let my guard down after work thinking about a cold beer. Urges were very strong and my mind was going through the usual I deserve it, I don't really have a problem, come on its Friday list. About an hour after I got home the urge was gone. Whew. One of the keys I'm learning with anxiety is not to ignore or run away from it but to recognize it, what is happening in your body and to just let it flow through and out of you. Next time I get hit hard I'm going to focus more on recognizing exactly what I'm feeling and just breath deeply and let it flow and go, because it does.
Helen of Troy I'm soooo happy for you that you stayed strong and sober through your camping trip. Congratulations. I'm looking on Pinterest for different non boozy drinks to try out. I'll post the good ones as I try them!
Hard Friday but it's going to be a sweet Saturday!
Hope everyone has a good night, guess I'll read you tomorrow lol
Old 09-16-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi Septembers. I made it through the week... actually day 10 I believe. I don't think I can remember the last time I made double digits. While I'm excited about that, I'm nervous about next week and getting back to the crazy that is work.

I should probably be a little further along in my "homework" of setting up my plan for dealing with work and stress and so forth, but man, it was just nice to have just a little tiny bit of time not drinking, not thinking about drinking, not thinking about NOT drinking, or thinking about guilt, shame, or all of the things after drinking.

I don't know if that makes me lazy, or if I chose to bury my head in the sand, but for a few days I felt sorta sane for once in a great long time where I didn't consume alcohol, and alcohol didn't get to consume me either!

Anyway, another day gone, but not wasted. Hope you're all doing well...

EH
Old 09-16-2016, 09:38 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Here, checking in, about to go to bed. It's half past midnight here in Southern Ontario, Canada.
I had a good day all things considered. I've lost so much lately (and not as a result of my drinking).
I broke of with my partner of 3 years. Cut ties with my lover and best friend of 14 years. My beloved and cherished Grandmother whom I was very, very close too passed away a few weeks ago.
I'm numb and my emotions are raw and on fire all at once, on a rollercoaster from hell.
But I'm sober with a plan.
Goodnight everyone. I wish you all a great night's rest and a safe, sober weekend .
Old 09-16-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

EDIT: my best friend and I were not lovers while I was with my ex partner, though I think we could have had an emotional affair and I'm not proud of that.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:48 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for all that you have been dealing with windancer - but I'm thrilled you're sober.

It really is the best way to get through trying times

D
Old 09-16-2016, 10:53 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

So it's day 3 for me.Saturday. Ughhhhh . I'm gonna post in here and get to know you a wee bit as I want September to be the last "class of" I join!
Old 09-16-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Don't really know what to say right now. Was super embarrassed all my determination disappeared. Didn't want to influence anyone with my errors so I disappeared.

I went to AA for the first time tonight. Wish I could say it helped, but it didn't. Had a major headache, a knot in my neck (stress) and I wanted to drink more when I left. I didn't though and it got better within a few hours of being home. I'm not going to give up on it, but what I've been trying hasn't worked longer than four days at a time. Just going to keep showing up to meetings and see how it goes. Big mistake for me was wanting to date again. Can't do it right now, they all drank and then I drank (not their fault, mine alone but I'm not picking the right guys as well). Maybe I didn't get as drunk as I was in the past, but it still sucked. I'm going to keep trying and plugging away. I enjoy this forum and sorry Sept Class for not being stronger. Last drink was Wednesday, so day 2 again. Peace
Old 09-16-2016, 11:45 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Administrator

This thread is about support BeFree - you are very very welcome here

Have you considered that you might need a better plan?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

D