Notices

Class of September 2016 Part 2

Old 09-23-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, not caught up on everyone's posts yet but I must say that HelenofTroy-you're doing amazingly coping with the grief. Well done for coming in here and posting. It's humbling to hear your story. Thanks for sharing.

End of day 3 for me. Had a lovely but busy day with family. Pretty tired. 3 days!! I'm so happy for myself and just want to thank you for being there when times are getting hairy. I really believe I can do this!
Old 09-23-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Pirene tekink, Pinky, Cute, LastDrinks, bikube and everyone else celebrating a milestone today

Even us sober tyopes have low days Red- hope tomorrow is better for you
Hi windancer SFL and Event Horizon

sincere apologies to anyone I missed...have a great sober weekend guys

D
Old 09-23-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Day 6

I really have been off the charts the past 2 days getting things done, now my body is starting to pay the price. My calves and hips are pretty achey.
No real alcohol cravings to speak of, but I'm starting to get nervous about sat and sun night. That's when I'm going to be at my weakest. Being physically exhausted is kind of a trigger for me to drink. So I need to realize this and focus on getting some rest tonight and tomorrow.
In the last class I was in there was a post about getting down, and being most likely to relapse after sets amounts of time. I wish I could remember more specifically, but it basically said, after 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days the levels of seratonin? (Some brain chemical) basically drops to zero after certain lengths of time in recovering addicts, It was a very interesting read, maybe someone else here knows what I'm talking about?
Thanks to everyone posting, letting me in your on-line lives. It does make a difference for me and I'm sure many others to give us the willpower and courage to try and make it another day sober.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry disonant - I can't remember where that was either.

There is support here right across the weekend, not only in this thread but the main forum too. Check out our Weekender thread for another level of support

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-2016-a-5.html
Old 09-23-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Greetings everyone!
I'm feeling enthusiastic and happy! (Though I am fully aware there will be many peaks and valleys yet to come) I think my new attitude of gratitude is paying off and the AA program and the 12 Steps are helping me immensely. I never would have guessed I would have felt this way about AA. I was so very much against it before. I guess I was not as open minded as I believed myself to be. It is a Spiritual program and since alcoholism indicates an illness of body, mind AND spirit it makes sense to me that it works the way it works.

I am feeling and believing and demonstrating a faith that I didn't even realize was missing in my life. I have never been religious. But this IS spirituality. Just like the open-mindedness, I wasn't nearly as "spiritual" as I considered myself either. How could I live a spiritually conscious life without a strong faith?

Anyhow I'm proud of everyone for their milestones. I'm proud of me for remaining sober and working to transform my life. I hope everyone gets a great night's rest. I'm having a lovely soak in the tub and off to bed for me.

I look forward to catching up with you all tomorrow
Old 09-23-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Still clean. Busy day. Haven't been told I got the job yet, we shall see.
Feeling better though, helps to stay busy.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:17 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Tough night tonight. Stuck sitting in a bar, I can't go home. I'm not going to drink but it's giving me a headache. I decided to hole up in the back office and hope my wife gets the drift. Usually she's pretty good at not wanting to stick around too long as she knows it's hard on me, but tonight it seems like she's just getting warmed up and I'm going to sit here for a few hours moping.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Hi Septembers!

I hope you're all ok on this Friday night. I know these begin the hard(er) days for some, myself included. I'm going to be working hard to stay sober, and hoping for all of you to do the same!

Tekink, that sucks! I couldn't imagine being stuck in a bar, especially while my SO was getting fired up. Can you at least walk around the block a few times? Try to find something to stay busy... podcast, stories on the Internet, SR. Good luck!

Windancer, good for you!! You sound great tonight. I hope I get there too. I honestly don't like the thought of AA, but listening to posts like yours always makes me reconsider. I'm happy it seems to be helping

Redhemi, disonant... keep your heads up, be strong this weekend. Visit us often!

Sunflower, CNGY hope things are going well!

Dee, thanks for looking over us young ones, hope you're doing well too!

Everyone else, be strong this weekend, get lots done, and be good to yourself!

EH
Old 09-23-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elle126 View Post
Just wanted to comment on your thread EH to sunflower....
That has to be one of the most considered, caring, supportive threads I have read on here. It resonated with me, having issues around weight. I loved the debt analogy and I too feel that sorting out the larger debt should take first and foremost priority. Thinking of all of the weight gained through sitting around consuming copious calories in alcohol followed by following day of inertia, lying in the sofa unable to move....
If I can crack this, become more active, spend my time doing things then I am pretty sure the weight will begin to drop off.
Amazing response. Thank you. Elle😀
Thank you Elle!!! That means a lot to me. Sometimes these posts are as much for me as they are for anyone else, but it means the world to me that it can help others too. I want to giveat something back in return for what I have received here.

EH
Old 09-23-2016, 09:00 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  

I'm using the internet for distraction. frustrating indeed. I'm trying not to be upset but WDs have me pissed at the world already :/
Old 09-23-2016, 09:05 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Tekink, why stuck at a bar anyway? If it's ok to ask??
Old 09-23-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

My wife and I actually own the place. At least that gives me the office to hang out in.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:34 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  
South Asian

Hello September Class. I hope everyone is well and enjoying their weekend. I am still hanging in there and keeping busy. I feel I will be ok for September. I suppose the simple thing is then to just join the class for October and try and carry on. Does this class carry on beyond September? If so, I suspect it will probably not have regular postings.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:57 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

I made it home, back to my comfort zone. ideally i'll play hookie from work tomorrow but that might actually be harder than going in.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Weird question...

I've never really liked smoking pot at all but for some reason I could really go for some right now to switch off my brain a bit.

Is this a bad thing considering I am quitting drinking just to take the edge off once in a while?
Old 09-23-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 356 (permalink)  

I think this is day 14. I'm going to say 14 because I can't remember if it was after midnight when I last drank.

So it will be two weeks if I get through today.

I was a bit tempted earlier this morning. Not to drink at that moment, but tonight when the football is on. I have tidied one of the rooms and finished cleaning the windows and I thought it would be relaxing on a Saturday to have some beer with the football. But I know how that will end up.

Let me just get through today.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:38 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LastDrinks View Post
Weird question...

I've never really liked smoking pot at all but for some reason I could really go for some right now to switch off my brain a bit.

Is this a bad thing considering I am quitting drinking just to take the edge off once in a while?
Honest answer: I don't think it is. My personal opinion is that alcohol is far worse. I'm not saying you should and I can't smoke weed because it messes with my mental health, but if it's one or the other I'd smoke weed.

I don't think weed is as harmless as is made out though, abuse it at your peril.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Martin1 View Post
Honest answer: I don't think it is. My personal opinion is that alcohol is far worse. I'm not saying you should and I can't smoke weed because it messes with my mental health, but if it's one or the other I'd smoke weed..
Thanks and agreed on weed messing with mental health, but quitting drinking is messing with it more right now lol.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Martin1 View Post
I think this is day 14. I'm going to say 14 because I can't remember if it was after midnight when I last drank.

So it will be two weeks if I get through today.

I was a bit tempted earlier this morning. Not to drink at that moment, but tonight when the football is on. I have tidied one of the rooms and finished cleaning the windows and I thought it would be relaxing on a Saturday to have some beer with the football. But I know how that will end up.

Let me just get through today.
Great job by the way, weeks sounds better than week.

Not sure what the football is like over there on TV, but here it is just a background to all the alcohol and gambling advertising. By football I mean rugby league, I realise you probably mean soccer, but am sure it is the same. It's like they are drilling into our psyche you must drink and you must gamble whenever you watch a game.Definitely a trigger situation, but one we got to get over.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:51 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LastDrinks View Post
Great job by the way, weeks sounds better than week.

Not sure what the football is like over there on TV, but here it is just a background to all the alcohol and gambling advertising. By football I mean rugby league, I realise you probably mean soccer, but am sure it is the same. It's like they are drilling into our psyche you must drink and you must gamble whenever you watch a game.Definitely a trigger situation, but one we got to get over.
I never noticed it before but someone pointed it out to me, it may even have been on here. The amount of beer and gambling adverts on during televised football is incredible. I'm sure ad breaks consist of only those adverts.