I know the self that treats you so unkind

If you could see the you that I see
When I see you
You would see things differently
I assure you"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o28dyt7w3As
Old 09-14-2016, 08:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Casey W. Big changes. I think your awareness of relapse is appropriate, normal, useful and safe. How many times have we heard the 'I am going to California to start a new life' as a way of escaping problems. As if those problems have a geographical basis. To have that concern you have shared about new stuff to my mind is your radar keeping you safe. Well done and good luck. Will be reading your future story.

ClearH: Art. Went to a SMART (12 step, peer group without god focus) meeting. 2 of us- 2 counsellors. So as you can imagine intense. Even showed my masterpiece. They deconstructed me with a high degree of accuracy. I did not want to show and tell. I do not like being the focus. I respect the opinions of all in this group- so have learnt a great deal. Interesting day as I predicted, a LOT going on around me. Off to see my sponsor for our weekly 12 step D/M afternoon.
More news- same bat channel, later. PJ.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good morning folks. On my way to work. Still not feeling great - headache, sore throat, sniffles....yuck. Busy day ahead for me but hoping to get out on time as DD has a doctors appointment this afternoon. She is 18 but she still has asked me to go with her...cute. I hope everyone else is doing well. Happy Friday Jr!!
Old 09-15-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Trails Casey

D
Old 09-15-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Theory of Counterproductive Addictive Behaviour in Recovery

This theory is put forward based on time/motion studies through observation.

Recovery is a difficult time of adjustment for people with addictive behaviours (alcohol, drugs, gambling, sex etc). Many people approach their recovery (viewed by the author as being a lifelong process) initially with a moralistic persona of behaviour, standards and wanting 'to make good'.
It has been observed that recovery is a difficult process requiring not only good intentions- but a strong commitment to look past the symptom of the addiction of choice- to the [I]cause [I][I] of such behaviours.
Positive progress can be seen from those who think seriously about their history, status quo and prognosis, with respect to measurable behaviour. Thus an alcoholic will commit to attending AA meetings, pursuing a 12 step approach to living etc. Perhaps also seeking counselling, medication for depression and the like. Sobriety, safety and spiritual growth.
Others, sadly do not understand or cannot perceive this course of action. They may act out their addictive needs through a range of unfortunate, inappropriate and sometimes dangerous actions Predatory behaviour ('13 stepping), derogatory sexual remarks about women in regards to sex. Manipulating a person or a social circumstance with the aim of 'feeling good' or needed (money, cooking meals, advice, feigning friendship).
This raises many questions as to such behaviour. It is the author's opinion all people seeking to better their lives with recovery need to be and feel safe. All people have to be treated with equality, respect, patience, empathy and understanding. Every single person's journey of recovery is different. No other person can take that journey from them- but can be a companion along the way.

And that was based on interesting times (just this morning) part 1.
Part 2 comes tomorrow. Thankyou for indulging me by taking the time to read my gibberish.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good stuff PJ.

Good luck with the move Casey.

Hope you feel better soon Sam.

Happy Thursday all.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Right back at you, 13th.

Good musings this morning, PhoenixJ.

Samantha - feel better. Funny how our almost adult children don't need us until they do. It's okay. I'll take whatever bone they throw.

CH - you are sounding so strong. It is inspiring reading your posts.

Casey!!! today is the day! Good luck. With you in heart.

Have a fantastic Thursday, Folks!
Old 09-15-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hello all! I keep thinking today is Friday for some reason. Not that it really matters, there is no such thing as sleeping in on the weekends at this house anyway 😢 Apple can relate LOL

Casey have a good move. I'd love to go to Austin one day.

Have a wonderful sober day!
Old 09-15-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Finally checking in!!! How is everyone today???
Old 09-15-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Have a great day, Kiki! Take care of your knee!
Thanks Bobbie! I got a really good brace and my knee is feeling a little better. :-)
Old 09-15-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samantha14 View Post
Hi Kiki!! Have a great day! Love you too!!
Hi!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Cute pic Purplrks! How you doing???
Old 09-15-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Hope you feel better after a good night's sleep, samantha
Hi Caramel!
Old 09-15-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Hello soberites, the old Chinese curse 'may you live in interesting times' will hold true for me today. Radar is up- stuff around me is happening. So am remembering recovery- not relapse, HALTS, sobriety, safety and sanity.
Hang in there Phoenix! Good job using your tools! I hope you are doing well today!
Old 09-15-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Last day at my old job is done. I'm planning on being supremely lazy tomorrow and then finish the last of my packing tomorrow. As I've said in here before--I'm staying with a friend my first month or two in Austin, so I'm just moving most of my belongings into my dad's garage until I find a place of my own. But I'm headed to Austin on Saturday, start the new job next Tuesday. Grateful to be sober one more day. Hope everyone has had a nice one.
Whew! That's a lot of change all at once Casey! Hang in there and try not to get too stressed out & watch HALT. Thinking of you!!! You're doing great!
Old 09-15-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by clearlyheaded View Post
Hello Misfits The commonalities. Yes! It's when I stop looking at the commonalities that I get caught up in my head, which leads to thinking too much, which leads to AV rearing its ugly head, which leads to deciding that drinking isn't such a bad thing. Keep it simple,right? Something has changed inside me, and I feel like I need to hold on to it desperately. Or else I will sink back into that hole of self doubt and anxiety that held me back for so long. My job keeps me very challenged, especially since I am in the training/probationary period. Self doubt keeps trying to creep in (it's pesky, much like AV!). And I have to pause, take a breath, and push forward. So far, so good. But I'm scared about self doubt winning one of these days. There are a lot of things in recovery that transcend addiction.
I think we all have moments of self doubt! At least I do! My sponsor really helps me with that. You'll be ok, just tell that little self-doubt voice to shush!!!
Old 09-15-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samantha14 View Post
Good morning folks. On my way to work. Still not feeling great - headache, sore throat, sniffles....yuck. Busy day ahead for me but hoping to get out on time as DD has a doctors appointment this afternoon. She is 18 but she still has asked me to go with her...cute. I hope everyone else is doing well. Happy Friday Jr!!
I hope you're feeling better Sam!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Happy Trails Casey D
Hi Dee!
Old 09-15-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thirteenth View Post
Good stuff PJ. Good luck with the move Casey. Hope you feel better soon Sam. Happy Thursday all.
Heyyyyy Thirteenth!!!!!