Venuscat's thread - An unexpected bump in the road Pt. 2

Old 09-19-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

All sounds EXCITING Venus
Old 09-19-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
Ha! Well, even Sisyphus caught a break and was able to push the rock downhill every once in awhile. I suspect he was never in San Francisco.

On our money is the saying "E Pluribus Unum." A fine motto for SR. 😀

I didn't know we could print our money though - that's exciting! I'm headed to go get some new green and black toner cartridges.
Sisyphus, I believed was doomed to push the rock uphill for eternity and every now and then it would roll back down on him. The point I am trying to make is that this can become a metaphor for gradual recovery from alcoholism or other addiction. Relapse is more likely in the early years of recovery and after quite some time the body regains its natural stability and enters what I call the "cube" phase. It is still possible to dislodge it and send it back down the slippery slope, but less likely. On the other hand if a relapse does come it is likely to be very serious.

W
Old 09-19-2016, 11:09 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
♥ And I need to talk to you Lillian my love....only 3 weeks and 2 days until I leave, based in San Francisco for two weeks from Nov 21.... Actually, how nice is this.....my friend upstairs, Cassidy, Is from Modesto and her mum loves me (she is pretty awesome herself ), and gas invited me for thanksgiving with their family. And they are going to come and get me....car service door-to-door. And they are not big drinkers....it's going to be so lovely I think. ♥
You get to have a Thanksgiving dinner in the US! How cool is that??!! It's one of my favorite holidays...all about gratitude.

Yes we do need to connect. I'm am going to need to figure out a way to get to San Fran. I will be in Fresno on business on Nov 17, but that is too early. Doh! So close...yet so far.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:22 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

I have Skype credit.....it costs almost nothing to call anyone. So if you like, you can PM your number....I will be discreet.

And I'm thinking I can get to you Lillian.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Great news, Suze! Turkey day is my favorite holiday. Lots of eats and (hopefully) no family drama.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

At Thanksgiving do the Aussies roast a kangaroo instead of a turkey? If you take a Roo on a flight does Security require her to empty all of her pockets? Xray the kid for concealed weapons? Take her shoes off? If it flies Economy, how does she fit her tail into the tiny seat?

W.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Kangaroos are kind of precious to me Bill.

No, we don't have Thanksgiving here at all here, so it really will be lovely....hopefully it will work out.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:45 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Kangaroos are kind of precious to me Bill.

No, we don't have Thanksgiving here at all here, so it really will be lovely....hopefully it will work out.
They are precious to me too, along with Koala Bears. But I have not yet developed a fondness for crocodiles nor they for me. Rather like the "Dream People".

Didn't realize that you were staying in the U.S. as long as Thanksgiving. That's Nov. 24. New England specializes in that kind of thing and the leaves are hopefully still lovely. Keats at his best. Hope you can find your way to Boston! When it comes to turkey, I like the stuffing the best, then the cranberry sauce, then maybe oysters, creamed chestnuts, mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. Pumpkin pie is boring. Instead of turkey, Honey baked ham is good. Traditional Virginia ham, unless honey baked, is too salty for my taste. The Virginians didn't seem to mind that maybe because they could wash it down with wine and brandy.
They say the Pilgrims sat down with the friendly Indians but a recent author suggested that Miles Standish, a bloodthirsty little fellow, may have skipped dinner to go shooting them like deer. I had an ancestor who favored hunting them with dogs but was concerned only about what breed to choose. Rather like Tasmania I would think.

Bill.

Last edited by wpainterw; 09-20-2016 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Hunger
Old 09-20-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Bill ~ I am definitely coming to see you. I just need to organise it with you love.

And I will be in the US until Dec 5.... ♥
Old 09-20-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

I have Skype credit.....it costs almost nothing to call anyone. So if you like, you can PM your number....I will be discreet. And I'm thinking I can get to you Lillian.
Hee hee - this is exciting! PM sent.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:27 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Number saved. And yes it is.... ♥
Old 09-21-2016, 01:51 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

I think I just might be organised. Possibly. Because surely this cannot be true.
I do have good organisational skills, but it has been YEARS since I have seen them.

My pattern for so so long has been....was I guess, procrastination. I want to, but I don't know how, or I'm scared so I talk myself out of it. Or I take so long to get into gear that I miss the proverbial boat. And then rationalise why it wouldn't have worked out anyway.

That was the old me. That was alcoholic me, addict me. That person lived in a state of confusion for the most part of 30 years. It is a miracle I managed to think clearly enough to find my way to SR.

And now, this trip is the adventure of a lifetime, as well as being the first time I have been anywhere (really, anywhere) in 30 years.

Talk about taking a leap...and it's most definitely a leap of faith.
And it is happening because of my sobriety, my program and all of you.

Thank you.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Bill ~ I am definitely coming to see you. I just need to organise it with you love.

And I will be in the US until Dec 5.... ♥
Suze! That' great to hear! And I'd also enjoy meeting some of your New England friends, as well as that famous motorcycle enthusiast, The Goat! Tell Goat I'm "sheepish" about riding on any buddy seat though!Hope to die painlessly in bed. Don't really fancy heavy metal rock but have some deafness and can turn down my hearing aid.Don't have any tattoos.

Bill and Boz (he's English. A real toff!)
Old 09-21-2016, 03:55 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

^^^ Absolutely brilliant Bill!!!
Old 09-21-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'd never eat Skippy in the Uk it's become a bit of niche to have some pubs & other places serving up Kangaroo steaks or ostrich & thats in supermarkets too im getting more conscious about eating meat overall

Love you Suze x
Old 09-21-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
I'd never eat Skippy in the Uk it's become a bit of niche to have some pubs & other places serving up Kangaroo steaks or ostrich & thats in supermarkets too im getting more conscious about eating meat overall

Love you Suze x
I ate ostrich once in Utah with no serious emotional misgivings. I guess that, emotionally I just had my head in the sand. That is not so with roos and koala bears. Here in the U.S. some folks start to cry if the chickens served to them are not "free range". What about milk from cows hooked up to those forbidding milking machines? Now I'm so upset I can't go on with this! As a recent commentator likes say, "That's so disgusting!"

W.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post

Love you Suze x
Me too wolfie love ~ my morality dictates that I be a vegetarian, but I really don't like the food.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

♥ And I need to talk to you Lillian my love....only 3 weeks and 2 days until I leave, based in San Francisco for two weeks from Nov 21....

Actually, how nice is this.....my friend upstairs, Cassidy, Is from Modesto and her mum loves me (she is pretty awesome herself ), and gas invited me for thanksgiving with their family. And they are going to come and get me....car service door-to-door. And they are not big drinkers....it's going to be so lovely I think. ♥

V

San Francisco is a lovely place to visit. Perhaps, you can talk them into a drive up to see the redwood woods

https://www.nps.gov/redw/index.htm
Old 09-21-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Thank you darling Captain.

I can do all sorts of tours if I want while I'm there....and I will have my international driver's permit....so I can pretty much see what I want. I am really open to any suggestions any of you have....Aussie chick with no clue here.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:42 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

This is a must while you're there

San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf | Visitor information, Tours & Attractions, Things to Do