SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of April 2014 Part 28 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/397087-class-april-2014-part-28-a.html)

Dee74 09-04-2016 03:56 PM

Class of April 2014 Part 28

last part here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-27-a-21.html

D

Upward2Enlightenment 09-04-2016 04:07 PM

Shotgun!!

Never underestimate the sleeper.

izzy8 09-04-2016 08:25 PM

Second!

izzy8 09-04-2016 08:31 PM

I'll take third :) looks like you're second Mariah!

Hope everyone had a great weekend- has been a challenging evening here-

But it feels good to be sober y'all :)

izzy8 09-04-2016 08:32 PM

I don't know free ... Chocolate doesn't seem so bad !

MariahGayle 09-04-2016 09:05 PM

Way to go beating the AV this weekend Noolan! Your doing great & always like reading your posts:) have a great day tomorrow.

Glad you made through the challenging week-end Izzy! You must be busy with kids goi g back to school. Pamper yourself a bit when you can.

Up, I'm going to start riding my bike again too now that it's cooled down here. So ready for Fall & the rain to come! We can encourage one another:)

Have house to myself this evening.....feeling a bit lonely lately.....have been single for a very long time. Good thing I have the cat & dog here with me:)

obosob 09-05-2016 04:33 AM

Out all day,.missed the start.

Saw a traditional Chinese medicine doctor today.

Full massage, very sore now.

Too much heat in the body.....

Should have got a fried rice instead...!

😣

freein14 09-05-2016 07:52 AM

Well, I didn't think I'd be quite so late on the new thread, I was banking on at least a silver this time. More training needed, obviously.

Obo, that massage sounds wonderful. Did he/She have any other suggestions for you? Traditional Chinese medicine is fascinating.

I'm still trying new things to increase my energy. I've been taking co-enzyme Q10 for over a fortnight now, and its not made any noticeable difference. I'm going to try some Bach flower remedies next. I'm determined not to put it down to "my age" that's far too defeatist. There's still lots to experiment with.

Btw, my piano practice is going well. I've increased my practice time by 5 minutes each week, so I'm now at 25 mins per day.I'm still perfecting "Let it be" hoping eventually to get the point of "let it be finished" :) then I'll start on something a bit more rocky.

Izzy, will you have your piano at your new home - I'd love to hear if you get back to playing it, we could swop horror stories!

Keep up the great work everyone, we've got this sober journey covered.

Noolan 09-05-2016 10:14 AM

Mariah- I hear yah on the loneliness. Really what started all of this for me 2.5 years ago was meeting someone I thought was "the one" and discovering I was an 18 year old in a 26 year old's body. I'm not sure if I would have changed much had I not met her. This go around, I'm buying into the whole "you have to love yourself first before you can love another". Coming up on 8 months, I'm starting to entertain the idea of a relationship, but I'm not in a rush. Even though those moments of loneliness suck, I don't just want to put a band aid on them with another person. I guess I'm just trusting the process. I look at each day of self improvement as another day of getting better. Someone is going to get a hell of a fixed up 1987 used Nolan.

Izzy- way to fight through it.

Up- In my high school my rule for shotgun was the first to touch the door handle; it made for interesting races from my friends. So you win on both accounts!

Free- I take B6 to help reduce my oily skin and one of the unintended benefits is a nice morning and then afternoon energy boost. My dosage is pretty high, though at 3 Gs per day.

Obo- I'm jealous of the massage. My work is offering half hour massages for like 12 bucks, but that would mean no lunch break. I need food as much as I need a massage. Damn corporate! ;)

Well last day of a three day weekend. I'm realizing all my discipline talk has been centered mostly on working out and pursuing things I want to do, haha. So I'm focusing on applying that to all things; in other words, not compartmentalizing my grind. So after this post, I will be cleaning my shoe box of an apartment. Have a great Monday, fools.

freein14 09-05-2016 12:18 PM

Thanks for b6 tip, Noolan. That sounds worth a try too! Have a great end to your three day weekend :)

izzy8 09-05-2016 12:24 PM

Happy Labor Day all (I'm sure that sounds like a horrible name for a holiday for all you non-Americans!)

Def taking a break from labor - reading, hanging out with one of my teens ... Tall skinny vanilla late sounds right nice

On feeling alone- is it typical that we alcoholics go thru this? I'm married but I've still managed to isolate myself. Am working my way back to connecting but it's like I have to make myself ... Wine became my bff ... Although a bad one ... Getting back "out there" is part of my recovery plan ... One baby step at a time :)

went to lunch with friends yesterday - one of the few couple friends that I can just "chill" with. They know my "secret" and the husband made sure to tell me about his pain pill addiction he used to have ... The gesture warmed my heart

Love to the fools! All work no play makes for lotsa stress!

And don't forget you're never alone ...

the fools are always here for each other! :grouphug:

❤️
(By the way Noolan, I'm a fixer upper 1971 model- needing some engine and exterior work but still making it down the road. ... Clank clank . ..)

izzy8 09-05-2016 12:27 PM

Free I'm not sure about the piano- it's pretty beat up and there's not a good place for it in the new house- it's very open concept-y which is nice but I don't want to give it up so will prob make it work . I'd love to exchange melodies tho- that sounds fun . I have a book from a loooonnng time ago, "classical music for people who hate classical music" lol- there's a couple of tunes in there I'd like to try again

MariahGayle 09-05-2016 05:21 PM

Noolan, I agree that we really need to love & accept ourselves before we can love someone else in a healthy way. I have never been in a healthy relationship in all my life & am in my early 50s. Despite my drinking & past drug use, I am youthful for my age & not yet ready to throw in the towel that I meet someone I can grow old with , a shoulder to lean on as we go through life. Like you Izzy, I am willing myself to be more social & Definately in a position to do that with my job now.

Had a lovely Holiday BBQ down river today with residents & home now, thinking a bike ride would be nice. I have managed to lose about 10 pounds the last few months despite not exercising....most of it the belly fat I've not been able to lose with a decent diet & exercise the last few years & think it may be credited to the medication for depression & anxiety, reducing my cortisol levels. Whatever the reason I'm happy about that! Now to start the strength training again to build some muscle back.

Night Fools!

freein14 09-05-2016 11:31 PM

"Labour day" does sound like something that a sensible person would strive to avoid, Izzy, LOL.

On loneliness, I do think that in the early days of sobriety it can feel that a best friend or partner has gone, leaving an empty space in our lives. I found that I couldn't get interested in anything initially (now it's the opposite, I'm interested in everything!). I think some relationships with people are a bit all-consuming too, my parents have always been devoted to each other, to the point that no one else really came close. Now, of course my dad is having great difficulty accepting help and coming to terms with his situation. I think it's similar in recovery - the help and companionship is everywhere around us, but we have difficulty seeing it and accepting initially, because it's so different from the all-consuming relationship we had with our "poison".

I think, that every time we "go back" to that relationship, it reinforces the misguided thought we can't do without it.

But, " do without it " we most certainly can! Then there's some space for happiness and healthier relationships to come in.

Have a great day all.

izzy8 09-06-2016 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by freein14 (Post 6123606)
"Labour day" does sound like something that a sensible person would strive to avoid, Izzy, LOL.

On loneliness, I do think that in the early days of sobriety it can feel that a best friend or partner has gone, leaving an empty space in our lives. I found that I couldn't get interested in anything initially (now it's the opposite, I'm interested in everything!). I think some relationships with people are a bit all-consuming too, my parents have always been devoted to each other, to the point that no one else really came close. Now, of course my dad is having great difficulty accepting help and coming to terms with his situation. I think it's similar in recovery - the help and companionship is everywhere around us, but we have difficulty seeing it and accepting initially, because it's so different from the all-consuming relationship we had with our "poison".

I think, that every time we "go back" to that relationship, it reinforces the misguided thought we can't do without it.

But, " do without it " we most certainly can! Then there's some space for happiness and healthier relationships to come in.

Have a great day all.

Awesome, free! Just what I needed to start another sober day! :)

freein14 09-06-2016 12:39 PM

You're doing a great job Izzy :)

MariahGayle 09-06-2016 08:14 PM

Yes you are Izzy:)

Great day at work.....animal refuge & picnic lunch by the duck pond. Back to the weight room tonight, felt awesome & fired me up. Home & have the fireplace on....temps dropping here in the evening now:)

Have been calling on God to guide & direct me....taking time to pray in the morning & making time for meditation.

freein14 09-07-2016 04:57 AM

Great stuff, Mariah. I need to make more time for my meditation practice too. I've been listening a lot to Echart Tolle. I'm hoping he'll come to Europe to do a retreat next year, if he does I'm definitely going.

I'm getting a few things sorted out for our holiday. There's loads of washing to get done. Fortunately I have a day off today, and its dry so I can get it out on the line. Working tomorrow and Friday, so won't have much time then. We have to set off at 3am on Saturday, so hoping to have an extra early night Friday.

Hope everyone's week is going well.

izzy8 09-07-2016 07:24 AM

Hello all- just finished spending an hour helping twins get new contacts in ... I ended up with them laying on their backs, prying their eyes open and saying, "I don't want to hear it and be still- You will see today!" and then drove them to school late on a pure mud road... eventful morning ...

Mariah that sounds like a great way to start the day. I'm doing the same thing and it helps a lot

Free are you really doing the tightrope? I thought you were kidding bc I can't imagine having that much energy but are you really gonna do it? That is something we really do need to see!

Up?????

Happy Wed/Th!

MariahGayle 09-07-2016 07:41 AM

Excited for you Freein! Will be good for you & husband to have a nice get a way:) glad you have the day off to get some things done....always a bit of a job to get ready. Enjoy the day!

Izzy, hope the contacts work out for the twins today:) I was hoping to have a cup of coffee with my Son before he left for his first day of his Senior year but he left early but wrote me a nice note....made me smile:)

Have a good day all.....headed to work soon