Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 28

Old 09-23-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Enjoy the day everyone...

I found an Eckhart Tolle book at a yard Sale Freein & couldn't remember if it was one you talked about? "The Power of Now"
Old 09-23-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Don't blame yourself Free, I don't know what it was. I didn't sleep well last night but emotionally I am feeling better today.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

That's a relief UP! Glad you're feeling better

Mariah, that's such a good book. I'd be really interested to hear what you think. I know that the first time I read it, I didn't really get what he was talking about, I wasn't really ready for it. But over time, the teachings have sort of sunk in, and feel quite natural.

It's been a beautiful autumn day here, managed to get 4 loads of washing dried on the line (that's so satisfying, knowing that rain is forecast tomorrow, but I know that not everyone gets such a thrill out of laundry it's the simple things).

Izzy, sounds like you'll be moving very soon, hope everyone's calm!

Friday night here, so in for the Bargain
Old 09-23-2016, 11:09 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Mariah- I hear yah on the money crunch. I went from a comfortable 50k to much less now. Even though taking 7 months off work has put me in a financial bind, I'm truly happier now than anytime in the past. I think it's because I wasn't mindful of what I truly wanted. I associated so much of myself and worth with what society sets as a benchmark. Losing that job and coming to terms with the fact it was never coming back set me free. I'm now pursuing interests I want. Don't get me wrong, juggling credit card balances and making sure I have enough to eat until next paycheck is stressful, but being on a path I want and having a sense of self is priceless.

Free- Welcome back! Amazing and inspiring to hear you not caving to the pressure of drinking on holiday. Dude, that's still a concern of mine as I try to plan for an international trip next May, so thanks for showing me it can be done.

Izzy- Good luck on the job hunt! I'm a temp so I'll be doing that in a few short months.

Up- I hear you on the random moments of sadness. I get them from time to time. It's baffling when I have no reason to feel down and out, yet I do. I cope with it by drawing on the Buddhist idea of pain is a reality, but suffering is optional. I have a natural desire whether using or sober to always feel good, protected, accepted, etc. The reality is that desire is not realistic; you have to take the good with the bad. The impermanence of the good is the same of the impermanence of the bad; it's just hard to remember that when the bad is kicking my ass.

Well it's been an easy week. Busy season starts in the next week or two and I've been taking early leave at work as a result. 22 hours total this week, haha. Probably shouldn't have been relying on the student loan refund coming considering my aforementioned financial state, but no one's perfect. This is really my last hurrah before work and school kick in full force come October.( At least that's what I'm telling myself).

Tonight I'm planning to cook up a bone in pork tenderloin roast I found on clearance for 8 bucks. I'm going to mix in a workout or yoga session too. Tomorrow, no real plans besides watch my team play and whatever else might come up. Have a great day, ya'll!
Old 09-23-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good plan, Noolan!

We move in a week- everyone's ready to get back closer to town. Sold out chickens today. Kinda sad.

I'll probably need to volunteer first before anything paid, I guess ... That might help?...

Glad you had fun free and that you're back!

Mariah- I looked at a position at a retirement home and thought of you ....

❤️
Old 09-23-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Top- I'd like to get back into counseling eventually ... But until then I'm pretty open .... pretty burned out on teaching though lol!
Old 09-23-2016, 09:31 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Simple is OK Noolan & although I have nt maintained my sobriety I too am finding a way to accept myself & my circumstances & to be grateful for what I do have.

Tired tonight.....loving the first Fall evenings & going to call it a night here. I have tomorrow off & going to do some general cleaning here in the am with some good coffee then go up & visit a friend & borrowing her carpet cleaner to do my carpets over the next couple of days. Exciting weekend

Volunteering is a great idea Izzy I had such a great day at work today. I am leading some of the activities there now....me with social anxiety leading others in social settings.... Who'd have thought. The medications have helped much but it's also me, challenging it & putting myself out there & im proud of myself for that, it's been a rough road with the anxiety the last few years.

Sweet dreams & good day out there Fools
Old 09-23-2016, 11:34 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

It's wonderful to hear how much you're enjoying your work, Mariah. Great job with "feeling the fear and doing it anyway", that social anxiety is no longer holding you back.

Noolan, you absolutely can have a sober holiday! I used to use alcohol to fill in time, and to give me a feeling of "relaxation" (numbing out!) while on holiday. My first sober holiday (2014) I had a big battle in my mind during the journey out there, and winning that battle was the key to shutting up the AV. I kept telling myself that I was on holiday, in a beautiful place, what could alcohol add to the experience? I wanted to finish my holiday feeling refreshed and positive, not beaten, tired and back to square one. This last holiday, it helped to have a couple of big books to get absorbed in, I'd definitely recommend that if you're a reader.

One thing I've come to realise though, is that I need to change the format of our holidays. Sitting in the sun, although wonderful, isn't what I need anymore. I'll definitely suggest a different type of holiday next year.

But as you're the one who's organising your international holiday you can have control over your activities, which will be fabulous. Can't wait to hear where you decide to go.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:53 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Good morning everyone.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Good Morning Up.....530am Saturday & not real happy to be awake at this hour on my day off. i am going to try & quiet my mind & go back to sleep
Old 09-24-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

That was me too Mariah.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:30 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Went back to sleep but had a using dream where I put myself in a dangerous situation then seemed I was t you g to get out of it....woke up & thought about how many times I put myself in situations where I could have been harmed but never was & feeling grateful.

We're supposed to be heating back up here today so I guess I should get out & water.....I'm so over it for the season.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

It's been raining here all afternoon. We've lit the fire, and its a bit more cosy now. I got off to good start this morning, did my workout, some meditation, and some housework, but then seemed to run out of steam by the afternoon. My energy levels often seem to plummet after lunchtime, not sure why.

Mariah, have you had a chance to look at "the power of now" yet?

Hope everyone else has had a more productive time today.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:19 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Free I opened one night when I was very tired & that is as far as I got. I'll have a look this evening. Getting some things done here this am the. Going to get out a bit. Enjoy your cozy fire
Old 09-24-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Welcome back Freein !
I get excited about using solar power on sunny days too,..... clothes lines are such a bargain compared to batteries and solar panels, huh ?

Mariah, ...had a vivid using dream a week ago myself, ...not really terrifying but extremely disconcerting .

Izzy,.... go for a payin' job ! HR may think you don't need the income .
You're already volunteering more than just bout everyone already with a big family !!!

Noolan,
Clearance groceries always taste better to me ,....for some reason .
LOL
Ninja shopping is an art form.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Administrator

anyone heard from Obo?

D
Old 09-24-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Not me Dee....he is in my mind
Old 09-24-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
anyone heard from Obo?

D
Weren't there some plans for a new garden and having in-laws visiting soon ?,....

Check in with us Obo !

Up, ...what state do you live in ?
Old 09-24-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Delaware .... or Dela-where

Check in obo
Old 09-24-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

What's up tonight TS? Your Friday night? UP you having a late night?

Really hope you check in here Obo

I havebeen living very frugally here but have had it with the dark tapestry drapes I've had in the living room for 9 years. I decided a change was mandatory going into winter & managed to get 4 new panels, 2 different shades of cream for 26 dollars & will be a very nice change....my Sons are always teasing me about my old world decor & tell me to get with the times I took my Mom with me this evening as I haven't spent much time with her lately, we saw a beautiful antique white electric fireplace.....mine is cherry wood & thinking I might take some paint to it...would really brighten it up in here....ill have to think about that. Anyway , I've managed to change the feel of 2 rooms now this last months for under 50.00 I have a comfy arm chair I've been looking for a cover for as its looking pretty rough & I think with some help I might be able to take a pair of the old drapes & make a cover for it.

Grateful to be home