Notices

Class of September 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 09-01-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Signing up for September class coz I failed miserably at the other classes I joined....
Old 09-01-2016, 11:21 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Glad you're back, NorthernLass
Old 09-02-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Morning all, day 4 and feeling positive.
Have a great day!
Old 09-02-2016, 01:11 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NorthernLass View Post
Signing up for September class coz I failed miserably at the other classes I joined....
You just had a few dress-rehearsals that's all Let the show begin!
Old 09-02-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Zanna, I love that! Curtains up, glasses down....

OK, I need to recognize my AV. The one that says you've had a rough day/week so just drink. Or the quieter, sinister one that says you can drink in moderation....

Thanks to all of you who tell your stories of resisting the AV! I will now join you!
Old 09-02-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

May be a dumb question, but what does AV stand for ?
Old 09-02-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

addictive voice i think? not sure tho
Old 09-02-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I think it means Alcoholic Voice.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Good morning, September peeps. So good to see so many of you here already! Day 26 for me. It's a freaking miracle. I can't believe how much I have been able to accomplish in such a short time. Makes me wonder how much more I can get done as long as I stay sober? The possibilities are endless....

Keep in mind that everyday without a drink/drug is a milestone. Take care of yourselves today. Hang in there... You can do it!!!
Old 09-02-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I think it means Alcoholic Voice.
Addictive Voice.....
Old 09-02-2016, 05:35 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elicia08 View Post
Keep in mind that everyday without a drink/drug is a milestone. Take care of yourselves today. Hang in there... You can do it!!!
Thanks! I need to hear that. I am not craving, but I am a bit down. Its been a tough week plus I drank. Now I am realizing how much I used alcohol to cope with negative feelings, either to cheer me up or to blot them out. It was mentioned in the August class. I don't want a drink but now I am thinking, in the past you would open a bottle when you felt low. I guess over the coming days and weeks I will have to find other ways to cope rather than drinking. I think bit by bit I am learning more about how complex quitting drink is. Have a good Friday wherever you are!
Old 09-02-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thanks! I need to hear that. I am not craving, but I am a bit down. Its been a tough week plus I drank. Now I am realizing how much I used alcohol to cope with negative feelings, either to cheer me up or to blot them out. It was mentioned in the August class. I don't want a drink but now I am thinking, in the past you would open a bottle when you felt low. I guess over the coming days and weeks I will have to find other ways to cope rather than drinking. I think bit by bit I am learning more about how complex quitting drink is. Have a good Friday wherever you are!
(((Lassie))). When I have been feeling low (plenty in the past 26 days...) I have come here and posted about what I was feeling. The relief wasn't quite as instantaneous as having a drink (or 20) would have been, but it helped tremendously to hear that there were others who were struggling just as much or more than I was. And they were dealing with it without turning to booze. Don't let your slip bring you down. It's okay as long as you learn from it and keep trying!!
Old 09-02-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you are a bit down NorthernLass.
Being aware of HALTT always helped me a lot .... understanding that I'm more vulnerable to the AV when I'm hungry, angry, lonely, tired, or thirsty (for water).
I am on day 13! Heading for a month.
Hope everyone had a great night and is having a great Friday so far.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi All

Nearly midnight here. Just finished watching 'See No Evil, Hear No Evil' as tribute to Gene Wilder. Laughed my heart out.

I must be getting close to ridding the poison out of my system as I'm not as tired as I have been the last few days.

Caught up on everyone's posts, now time for bed.

May the force be with everyone

James
Old 09-02-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I would like to join!! I was sober since March but relapsed with awful consequences. I am fully committed to making it stick this time. Looking forward to meeting you all!!

Lilly
Old 09-02-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeFree1971 View Post
Hello

I found SR today and have been reading posts and articles on the site most of the day. I've been trying to get sober for awhile now on my own, but haven't made it more than a few days here and there. Even now that I realize I have to stop, I have no control, I deserve to be happy (and want to be the best person I can be for myself and others), it's killing me inside and out, ... and so forth ... I'm still failing in social situations. I'll do okay for a couple of days and then think I can handle hanging out with friends, but I end up on a bender...wasted..wasting the next day...wasting my life away.

I could give so many reasons I hate my addiction (like having a broken thumb right now), but I'd be writing a book. I would like to say thank you SR for not making me feel so alone and thank you for the information and tips I've picked up today. I feel like I have a better shot a being successful and have more tools to assist me. I wish all of us a sober, healthy life and keep up the good work
I have had my share of drunk injuries too!! Remember that if you stay sober it never has to happen again!!! Stay strong!!
Old 09-02-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hello Lilly! Glad to have you on board! I joined August class but then relapsed. But the people here are sooo supportive! The friendship and support they offer really keeps you going! Have a Sober Friday!
Old 09-02-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hello @csaw! I remember you from other classes! Glad to see you back!

Greetings to fellow August classmates @Pinky, @Behindthelens, @Elicia, @Caramel, @Mr PL, and of course @Dee!

Many times when I come here I think of that song from High School Musical "We're all in this together.."

Going to bed now, tired but sober!
Old 09-02-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Mornin Let's have a safe, sober weekend.

Have a couple of tests this weekend, but I'm preparing for them. Grilling out with an old friend Saturday night - already mentioned I wouldn't be drinking so he wouldn't purchase anything on my behalf. He was totally cool and didn't make a big deal of it. Knew he would be unlike some others. Monday I'm going tubing down a river (we call it Shooting the Hooch in Atlanta), which is a total party. But I'm volunteering to be the DD and it's with my outdoor's club, so I may not be the only one sober

Wishing everyone strengthen and happiness. Day 3
Old 09-02-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Hello September Class! June '16 class here, wishing you all well. Stay strong and keep posting. My class thread was a crucial tool for me during the early days, the mutual support is fantastic. Keep it up and have a great sober weekend!