Notices

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 08-30-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Thank you dee, I was curious about the NA and was hoping for some insight. I see what you're saying and get the logic. Need to find me a sparkling water or such.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Night A-team.

End of day 20 here!

Everything in motion, productive day at work, good gym session, finished recording lead vocals for my last song, wife went to bed happy and soon so will I.

Glad to see everyone making progress and helping each other out, this is what this class is about. I m in here for the long term!

Mr P
Old 08-30-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

11 days. Double digits.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I found this on Facebook and I had to laugh. It really speaks volumes about how my relationship with alcohol changes as I drink.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee.

It can feel like such a tricky road sometimes. What invitations to take and what not to take.

I think that if the plan for everyone is to get hammered, then the answer is "no".

It's hard because alcohol can just show up places.

I'll share that I'm supposed to participate in a race that is sponsored by a beer company here. I already paid for it months ago. When I did, I had a passing thought, I guess I'm committing to drinking in 2 months. At the end of the race it's a huge booze fest for the participants who get free beer and the general public who has to pay. What a great way to feel like you're "normal" - run a few miles before you get sloshed.

I'm not going to do the race. I've cancelled and told my friends something else came up. I haven't been training for it like I should because the past few months I'm hung over in the morning when I should be training and working out. There's another one in November that is not sponsored by a beer company that I am going to register for instead, and be able to actually train for. I realized this two days ago when I ran/walked 4 miles with my dog. I'm not in good shape due to drinking and I'm going to protect my sobriety (can I call it that?) by choosing to do a different one. I'm out a little bit of money. Well I've already made that money back by not drinking for 19 days.

Re: NA beer I got nothing, but take the advice. I'd rather just not drink than drink fake beer. Although part of why I like soda water is because it's bubbly and that bubbly thing really can hit the spot. Why is that? ;p
Old 08-30-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Saying goodnight to the team--day 23 is at an end. So ready for some good sleep. Hope you all are doing well!!
Old 08-30-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

bexxed - I really liked your response to northernlass - very good description of what it's like!

finishing up day 17 here.

been busy - but best wishes, A-team - been thinking about you all!
Old 08-30-2016, 09:29 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I went to a ball game tonight. I had so much fun, and because I didn't spend entire innings in the line for beer/wine, I actually saw the entire game! Also I paid attention to the fun stuff they do when the cameras are off and stuff.

Day 19 complete. I'm tired! Goodnight everyone.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Congrats on 17 days Julia! And Elicia for 23!!! and Mr P for 20!

August ends tomorrow...

OK I'm actually sleeping now. Later!
Old 08-31-2016, 12:49 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Morning A-Team!

Thanks @bexxed, feeling good here!

Last day our thread lives here, let's all make sure to keep involved once we move to our new location!

Happy Wednesday everyone.

Mr P
Old 08-31-2016, 01:43 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm finding it really hard being on day 3 and going through a breakup. Normally I drink. My last breakup I didn't because I was happy about it but used to be up all night thinking about it. Seems way too hard.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:52 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

It will get easier sweeitichick - don't turn back now..re-read that thread of yours if you need reminding why he's an ex...

D
Old 08-31-2016, 02:15 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Treebeard View Post
I found this on Facebook and I had to laugh. It really speaks volumes about how my relationship with alcohol changes as I drink.

That was SO me to do things like that.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:13 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hello to all the August '16 class.

Well it's Aug 31 - Graduation day and want to congratulate everyone.

There is still time to join class today ..
So let's make it a grateful and sober day!
Old 08-31-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Morning all,

I'm with Dee on the NA beer..I started with that then went right back to the real stuff...the taste was close enough that I ran out for a 12 pack...then another. I wouldn't recommend it..sorry .

Went back to work yesterday which was good for me...lots of drama and nonsense but it kept me occupied.

Day 25 for me and feeling good. Have a great day xo
Old 08-31-2016, 04:31 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBent View Post
Fresh on the road to recovery. I have my annual Football draft tonight. Bunch of highschool friends get together once a year and draft a team. Lots of beer, wings and laughs. Its been going on 15 years strong.

But I need to go sober this year. I wont lie. Im nervous.

Here is my plan. I am going to have a cooler of "drinks" water, Coke, Red bull. Anything but booze. I dont want to say anything or come out. I just want to enjoy the night...... sober.
Morning. Here is an update of the evening.

I was nervous driving up to the event. I stopped at a store and bought some Gatorade, water, coke, red bull and a new cooler. I thought I might as well have new cooler to hold my new drinks in my lifestyle. lol.
I got there and some of the lads where already drinking. I was offered one and i just blurted out im not drinking at the moment. I got a few weird looks. Then a bunch of us went to a restaurant for wings. I ordered a coke. I got some teasing for that but it passed by pretty quick. One bonus of not drinking was my bill! One pound of wings and two cokes is a lot cheaper than one pound of wings and two beers. Whoo.

The draft started and not much happen as far as drink problems. I laughed at the jokes. Other people got drunk. Whatever. The next good part of the night was the goodbye. People saying to me, drive safe, be good on the roads. Dude, Im sober. I hoped right in my truck and drove home. No problem.

I had a ok sleep and im up this morning with no hangover, I actually remember the night, Im sure that I didnt act like an ass and I feel pretty good about myself.

I know im not out of the woods by any means and i have a lot of work to do. Its nice to know that I can do it. It might sound weird but showing up with a cooler full of drinks actually helped me. I always had a drink in my hand. A couple of times I opened up the cooler and asked someone if they wanted a drink. A couple people took a coke. Cool!

I would never believe it but sitting here and typing this out actually feels good too and might even be helping. Thanks for listening.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hello A-Team

I didn't make it out here yesterday due to my busy schedule this week. Today doesn't look any better but I'm sober and waking up to Day 24. I had my 3rd and 4th Taekwondo classes last night and can I just say that I love it? It feels so good challenging my body and pushing it towards something great.
The U.S. has a holiday weekend approaching. Does everyone have a plan in place? We have a BBQ to attend and are camping one night. Both triggers to drink but I have plans for both. For the BBQ I already found a great non-alcholic drink..its called Berry Smash and includes raspberries, mint and sparkling water. I also plan to make multiple Whole30 compliant dishes and I'm super excited to share yummy healthy eating with family. Like the wedding last weekend, I will be accountable to my hubby and our eating plan so it would take a lot of work to drink...like a big fight lol But even though I know I won't drink, I want to ENJOY the BBQ without harassment from my AV. So my plan is to focus on the food and family and not worry about drinking.
The camping portion is pretty simple...don't pack beer We plan to stay busy with hiking and fishing. The hardest part will be the campfire that evening but I'm mentally preparing myself to enjoy the beauty of the fire, and the calmness of the evening. A big part of both of my plans is to be mindful to every moment. That's something I'm not allowed to do when my focus and intent is on getting hammered.
I'm actually eager and excited for this weekend.

I hope everyone is doing well. What are everyones plans and plans to stay sober for this weekend?
Old 08-31-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

New here and haven't been able to find my way into the August class until now...
I did find the August class, right?!?!?! lmao

Am I able to join or should I get into the Sept. class?

I'm off into the mountains for a few days so I won't be here much, if at all, until a week from today but I will check in this evening before I Ieave.

Thanks for being here.
Have a wonderful day!
Old 08-31-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Hi A-Team,

@sweetichick: hang in there, you are doing very well to stay sober and drinking will not help in any way at all. See it this way: after you recover from the breakup and realise you stayed sober through it, you will gain a lot of strength for your long term recovery. I promise you you will feel a lot better very soon.

@Whisky - really happy for you mate! I know where you are mentally now, I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago. Now is the perfect time to make or review your long term recovery plan, use the positivity to trigger all the other changes you want to make happen.

@kgirl - I think your plan sounds great. You are going to have a lovely weekend and enjoy things for what they are! Plus now if anyone challenges your sobriety you can use your new skills and kick their ass!

@jodc - welcome to the A-team. This thread rocks, so much support! Hope your recovery is going well.

Mr P is now officially at mixing and production stage, time to take the musician hat off and put the producer hat on. If only I didn't have a day job...(but then that funds the whole thing so it's got to be a plus!)

Mr P
Old 08-31-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jodc View Post
Hi Everyone,

New here and haven't been able to find my way into the August class until now...
I did find the August class, right?!?!?! lmao

Am I able to join or should I get into the Sept. class?

I'm off into the mountains for a few days so I won't be here much, if at all, until a week from today but I will check in this evening before I Ieave.

Thanks for being here.
Have a wonderful day!
We've already inducted since your first post, maybe a week....week and half ago.

I have you listed as part of the class. You've been a part since stepping foot as an A-Teamer.