Notices

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 08-16-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hello everyone

This is my first posting and I would like to be included in the August class.
I was sober for 2 weeks until yesterday and I am sorry that I drank yesterday. It was a foolish and sad day.
I have learned so much from reading this forum and am looking forward to becoming a part of this community,
Thank you all so much
Old 08-16-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome 4givin

D
Old 08-16-2016, 07:17 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hi everyone~
Welcome to everyone new, cwood, Stale, Quincy, MrPL, 4givn and anyone I else missed

Day 2
I felt so much better waking up this morning than I did yesterday morning. It's hard to believe one day can make that much difference. I had to be to work early today for a conference call and it was busy all day. I like it busy as long as it doesn't get too busy. No real thoughts of drinking which I am thankful for. Finishing up laundry now and then I am going to eat dinner
Have a great day tomorrow everyone
Old 08-16-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Hello Everyone. I'm new to SR and new to a second round of trying to be sober....

...Hoping this site will allow me get out some of my feelings that drive me to drink because I think it's a big part of the equation to sobriety.

Have a good day.
Welcome, Quincy! I'm kinda new here as well. Hope you find what you need here. I, too, used to just drink heavily on the weekends... Next thing I knew I was drinking heavily everyday. This is a great place for support and to get out your feelings in a safe environment. Keep coming back!!
Old 08-16-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Good evening everyone

I am very grateful to be sober at this very moment. I had a very close call this afternoon.
Today is my oldest daughters birthday and she turned 21. We have had plans for a few weeks now that I would host a family dinner for her. There was not one point all day long where I felt like I wanted to drink....until I was driving to pick up the cake and balloons. I started getting in my head and thinking it was a necessity that I drink at my daughters 21st birthday, I mean how could I not??
I had that internal battle going, back and forth, "drink" "don't drink". I stopped at the store and bought beer.
I am very fortunate though because when I pulled up to home my husband was outside. He opened my back door to help bring stuff in and saw the beer. He was surprised and asked me why I bought beer? He reminded me that I am trying to not drink right now, and I have work in the morning, and well it just didn't seem like a good idea. Well, deep down I knew everything he said was true, but my AV was really upset. I told him I wouldn't drink but I wasn't nice about it and I gave him the cold shoulder for awhile. Eventually, my craving ceased and I felt better. I apologized to him and explained it was really more my AV throwing a temper tantrum because I was very grateful he held me accountable to being sober. If he hadn't been home at that moment, I'm afraid I probably would have drank
We are so vulnerable right now, it's just scary! But I'll take all the help I can get and I need to remember how very grateful I am to be sober at this very moment.
By the way, my daughter didn't even want to drink! She will later with her friends but how silly of me to think she would want to get blitzed at a family dinner. Sigh. That's me...not her. We had a really nice meal, cake, and lots of laughs and not one drop of alcohol was consumed.

I noticed we have a lot of newcomers......a big welcome to each of you. So happy you are here.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:25 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Good evening everyone

I am very grateful to be sober at this very moment. I had a very close call this afternoon.
Today is my oldest daughters birthday and she turned 21. We have had plans for a few weeks now that I would host a family dinner for her. There was not one point all day long where I felt like I wanted to drink....until I was driving to pick up the cake and balloons. I started getting in my head and thinking it was a necessity that I drink at my daughters 21st birthday, I mean how could I not??
I had that internal battle going, back and forth, "drink" "don't drink". I stopped at the store and bought beer.
I am very fortunate though because when I pulled up to home my husband was outside. He opened my back door to help bring stuff in and saw the beer. He was surprised and asked me why I bought beer? He reminded me that I am trying to not drink right now, and I have work in the morning, and well it just didn't seem like a good idea. Well, deep down I knew everything he said was true, but my AV was really upset. I told him I wouldn't drink but I wasn't nice about it and I gave him the cold shoulder for awhile. Eventually, my craving ceased and I felt better. I apologized to him and explained it was really more my AV throwing a temper tantrum because I was very grateful he held me accountable to being sober. If he hadn't been home at that moment, I'm afraid I probably would have drank
We are so vulnerable right now, it's just scary! But I'll take all the help I can get and I need to remember how very grateful I am to be sober at this very moment.
By the way, my daughter didn't even want to drink! She will later with her friends but how silly of me to think she would want to get blitzed at a family dinner. Sigh. That's me...not her. We had a really nice meal, cake, and lots of laughs and not one drop of alcohol was consumed.

I noticed we have a lot of newcomers......a big welcome to each of you. So happy you are here.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Ohhhh. Kgirl. Good on you and your husband for skating through that. Play the tape. How would that dinner have been different if you'd cracked one open?

It comes out of nowhere sometimes. You're doing so good and suddenly WHAM!

How would your daughter have felt if she realized that her 21st birthday was the excuse her mother used to break sobriety?

I'm saying this stuff to put perspective on it to help for next time. I'm trying to think the same way myself. Yesterday after work stress I thought I wanted to drink and then thought "that jerk doesn't deserve to be the reason I throw in the towel." If it was someone I loved, I'd think that they didn't deserve to have me make time with them into a reason for me to self destruct.

We don't have relationships, we take prisoners. Is what people say about alcoholics. And I've seen it be true. I've done it.

Take care of you.

xoxo

B
Old 08-16-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hi all. Today was quite emotionally exhausting for me. I had said in my first post ever here that I've hid my addiction from pretty much everyone in my life, not even my family knows the extent of it.

But I've been sick lately and my doctor ordered an abdominal sonogram, which I got done this morning. they told me I'd get results in a few days.. yada, yada.. and I left. But I work for a doctor and added his name to the list of doctors I wanted the results sent to since I wasn't sure how soon my internist would get back to me. when I got to work today, the results had already been faxed in and my boss told me about them.

Apparently I have liver damage. And he knew. From my age and whatever has been going on with me lately that it was alcoholism. I was petrified for my job to find this information out, but he was incredibly supportive and I feel a huge burden has been lifted off my shoulders. I have a loooong road ahead of me, but between reading your journeys here on this forum, and finally being honest and confiding with people that I have a serious problem, I feel I need to keep this upward momentum, and I have to do it if I want to have a chance at a healthy life.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
Welcome cwood, stale, Quincy and 4given...
Glad to have you here!!!!

Kgirl..so proud of you...great job!!

Have agree night all zoxo
Old 08-16-2016, 09:16 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Hey everyone! Just checking in. Made it through day 3. Going to bed now happy and sober. I've made my new sober recovery plan. Hope everyone else a wonderful and successful day.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:29 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Welcome everyone new, sorry on my phone so can't scroll through to check names.

Well done kgirl.

Wonderful you have supportive people around you Alyssa and welcome to the thread.

Checking in. Day 12, still on holiday, still sober. I'm very grateful to be so. It is a family place very geared towards children so I have managed to take my children to loads of activities I wouldn't have been able to do either drunk or dying with a hangover. Or if I had, I wouldn't have enjoyed them. As it is I an fully present and enjoying the moments.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:18 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Morning everyone!

Beginning of day 8, for the righ motivation but feeling unusually tired. Hoping the energy will come back in a few days.

(ps: pushing with the recovery plan regardless, fell for this tied trap before!)

Have a nice sober day!

P
Old 08-17-2016, 01:37 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
HMS

Day 3. Looking towards a brighter future.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:50 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
Welcome to the class MrPL

I am hoping my sobriety allows me to play and perform much better.
Actually I know it has already!
It's quite an eye opener, isn't it? Especially with the singing, what a difference!

Drinking at the level we do it it's pretty much only good for drinking more. I wonder where I'd be now if I had quit a few years ago, but hey, long road of personal (and musical) improvement ahead still!

P
Old 08-17-2016, 03:53 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi all,

Happy Wednesday...sober wishes to all...we can do this!
Old 08-17-2016, 04:24 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Welcome MrPL, Stale, Quincy, cwood, 4givn, and alyssa So happy to have you here.

I love all of the musicians in the class....I am not musically gifted but I love to listen to music!

Quincy - one thing to remember about alcoholism is that it is progressive - always. I am also a weekend binge drinker and it's always my crutch when I want to drink again. Like you, I have a good job, I'm responsible, I can't say that anything super bad has happened due to my drinking. So I must not have a problem, right? Well I know that I do or I wouldn't be here. For me it's deciding that I have reached MY rock bottom and I don't want to see where this road will take me because it scares me. And I can only go UP from here!

I know what you mean bexxed. It's only a matter of time before we start becoming complacent in our sober journey and the next thing you know we are drinking again. Let's not let that happen this time! Let's focus on all of the things we couldn't do because we were drinking. Like your art and I'll get back in my craft room making scrapbooks for my family.

4givn - like your name, forgive yourself and move forwards, one day at a time.

hi emme - I was thinking the same thing yesterday, how I have been feeling so much better and clear headed. Work is so much easier this way!

hi alyssa - I'm very sorry about your health issues. That's a pretty good motivator to stop drinking though. Are you feeling committed to not drinking? Where is your head in all of this? There is a silver lining here...I don't know how extensive the damage is but the liver can rebuild itself....as long as you choose not to drink. But being an alcoholic myself, I know that even health issues doesn't always shut our AV up. Remember that you are worth being happy and healthy. And you have a support system here, please check in and let us know how you are. Take care.

Kudos on Day 3 Rogue!
Old 08-17-2016, 04:31 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

capricallia - so proud of you for making it through your holiday sober! It sounds like you are creating new sober memories! That is really awesome, so happy for you!

MrPL - great job on 8 days. Be gentle with yourself. It might take awhile for us to feel 100%. Being early in our recovery is mentally exhausting. Hopefully, your energy will pick up soon.

Hi HMS - kudos on Day 3!

Happy Wednesday to you lovehoops! have a great sober day
Old 08-17-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Just a little reflection from my situation yesterday. I knew my AV was manipulative and sneaky but woah, yesterday scares me!
Bexxed - I love how you put it...WHAM....because that is exactly how it happened. I'm driving and my AV is deciding I am going to drink. I'm telling it no and buying beer at the same time. I feel like I didn't even have the chance to do anything in my plan....come here, drink water/eat, play the tape through. It all happened so fast.

All I can say is I am so relieved my husband was here. I'm not sure how much credit I can take for this one but like I said before, I'll take all the help I can get!

Thanks for all the kind words and support. I love this group and am so happy to be here sober this morning and talking about how it's Day 10 for me!! Whoop!!
Old 08-17-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi kgirl41,

Thanks for the kind words. Your post about your daughter's party really got me thinking.

My boys are still little, but the day will come when they'll have a drink. As stupid as it sounds I have thought about when that happens (I m on day 8 and this would be around day 4,400!).

I can only imagine how crazy your AV went, well done for beating it!

Oh, and happy birthday to your daughter!

P
Old 08-17-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Day 10!!!

Wow! It's so hard to believe I made it to 10 days!! Kgirl--we are sober twins! Let's keep this thing going together!

Have a busy day ahead. Taking my sweet puppy for a hair cut, taking my daughter to a movie, lots of cleaning and shopping and such... So grateful to be able to do all those things without a hangover and without constantly looking at the clock, waiting for it to be time when I can have a drink (or 20). Trying to work up the nerve to ask a sober friend if I can go to a meeting with him. AA was instrumental in my sobriety the last time around when I went over 8 years without a drink. I think it's time to get back to that again. I know it's dumb to be scared to go by myself, but it is what it is. For now, SR is where I go first thing in the morning and last thing before I go to bed and multiple times in between...

Hope everyone has a wonderful Wednesday...!😘