Notices

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 08-16-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
They are tough. But just getting through them and sweating it out is good for the soul. (if that makes sense).... Little pain is ok. The Gain is worth it!
Understood.....It's definitely worth it and I've been down this road before sadly. Thanks for the boost.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:25 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bronzie View Post
"I still entertain the idea that someday I may be able to drink again but I will not drink today. For now, it's just too overwhelming to think of never drinking again"

Elicia, this is exactly the way I feel about drinking. You put that in the right words..... it's just so overwhelming to think of teetotaling, although that IS my ultimate goal for the future.
Just take it one day at a time and don't drink today! We can do this! Hope you have an awesome sober day!
Absolutely. Worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes. Have a plan but don't obsess. Try to stay in the moment. There will never be another moment quite like this one...
Old 08-16-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hello good people,

Today is my first day. I have also started a thread about my situation.

Lets get through this day sober!
Old 08-16-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Good day, August peeps!! I had a little nap this morning then went out to do some yard work. Got stopped by a little thunder boomer. Absolutely love sitting on my screened in porch during a storm. 10 days ago I would've been counting down the minutes until I could have a drink if I wasn't drinking already. (Most days I would try to wait until 3:00pm). So grateful I don't have that itch today. Looking forward to another sober evening with my honey doing some deep-couch sitting and HOPEFULLY a good night's sleep. Keep on keepin' on, y'all. You are worth not taking a drink today!!
Old 08-16-2016, 12:19 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by Neverthought View Post
On another note, I always wondered what I kind of influence Duane would have had on the music industry if it wasn't for that fatal motorcycle accident. I always think of him when I hear Layla.....amazing slide solo. But yes, Gregg is one of a kind and he keeps on playing.
Yep.. Duane was amazing. Wonder if he could have sustained all these years. He certainly lived a fast life!

Did you see the documentary Muscle Shoals? If not check it out!
Old 08-16-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
Yep.. Duane was amazing. Wonder if he could have sustained all these years. He certainly lived a fast life!

Did you see the documentary Muscle Shoals? If not check it out!
Yeah, he lived life in the proverbial fast lane.

It sounds very familiar. I read about Muscle Shoals years ago, but I don't think I saw this documentary.....looking forward to it, thanks!
Old 08-16-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by Elicia08 View Post
. Keep on keepin' on, y'all. You are worth not taking a drink today!!
Looking good Elicia!

I ain't drinking today... Supposed to be working.
Aint doing much of that today either!
Old 08-16-2016, 01:33 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Welcome stale ☺
Loads of support on here I've only just started
Good luck
Old 08-16-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stale View Post
Hello good people,

Today is my first day. I have also started a thread about my situation.

Lets get through this day sober!
Welcome Stale. I too am I my first day. What is the name of thread you started?

I'm home from work.....So, this is my habitual medicating time. Feeling a bit uneasy....have to take it hour by hour to get through today.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hello lovely people. I'm gonna add to the musician group here and divulge that I also play... And sing.... And have for 28 years (wow I'm getting old). But I've found that the more time I spend drinking the less I play, the less I paint, and in general it's terrible for my creative self. To me my creative self is closely aligned with my understanding of spirit (what others might call God i guess). I think if that was not the case I would be doomed. But I sure do like to TALK about being an artist and musician, except I don't actually DO much of it messed up. Your hands get clumsy, can't find the frets, voice goes flat, lose dexterity for painting or playing.

Day five here. Second doozy of a work day halfway done. I've come home to take a nap before I go back for the night shift. I basically have two days in a row this week of a full day shift with a half night shift separated from itself by a few hours on each end.

I would have been seriously complaining last week. Right now I'm just grateful. I do think the hours are terrible and they are but they are necessary and they don't happen more than once a month and I get comp time and I have done a stellar job these last 36 hours.

Keep thinking for a second that I will have a drink but it feels like it's just habit. Reminding myself that it will just make me sick.

Welcome new people and thank you all. I read everything and following people helps.

In gratitude

B
Old 08-16-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

All right, since there's music talk here I am joining the class! Day 7 with a guarantee of no more day ones ahead!

Turns out the first item on my recovery plan (written today!) is to finish the album I started recording years ago. Was tricky to record just on sober spells but only vocals left to do and that starts tomorrow!

Anyway, I did a lot of research on the topic and in my opinion most musicians did their best work after sobering up or before getting too crazy.

What do you guys think?
P
Old 08-16-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

So happy to seek sober musicians on here. Maybe we could find a way for y'all to share some of your music? I'm not really a musician, but I love to sing. Sang back-up with a couple local bands way back in the day. Always wanted to learn to play guitar. Maybe I'll have time to do that now that I'm not spending all my time drinking. Happy to be sober another day....
Old 08-16-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrPL View Post
Anyway, I did a lot of research on the topic and in my opinion most musicians did their best work after sobering up or before getting too crazy.

What do you guys think?
P
I agree.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elicia08 View Post
So happy to seek sober musicians on here. Maybe we could find a way for y'all to share some of your music? I'm not really a musician, but I love to sing. Sang back-up with a couple local bands way back in the day. Always wanted to learn to play guitar. Maybe I'll have time to do that now that I'm not spending all my time drinking. Happy to be sober another day....
You definitely should Elicia. Being a musician basically resumes to endless and very enjoyable practicing, as the better you get the more you realise how much better you want to be!
Old 08-16-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

New to SR

Hello Everyone. I'm new to SR and new to a second round of trying to be sober. It is so strange to me that for the most part I feel like I'm a responsible person. I hold down a good job, most people in my like tell me I'm a good person (except when I drink). So why do I let alcohol get the best of me?

I normally only drink on the weekend, but as soon as I have one I will go all day or weekend long then I spend Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday drying out just to repeat the process over and over and over.

I'm happy to read all the support on this site. I have done AA in the past, but not for very long because I personally didn't have a connection with it because its hard for me to speak in front of groups.

Hoping this site will allow me get out some of my feelings that drive me to drink because I think it's a big part of the equation to sobriety.

Have a good day.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

That's weird. I wouldn't call myself sober. I have five days. I'm proud of it and all but this isn't the first time by a long stretch and while I'm grateful I feel like making declarations when I know the monster I'm dealing with around a month or two... Or three weeks.... It just feels like I'm setting myself up.

Today I'm clear. No more, no less. I'm going to be 40 this year and this behavior of drinking too much has been going on for a long time. When I've owned it I will know. But five days? I'm not sober. I'm trying to hold on to a branch I grabbed while falling down a hole. I can get there and I see the path, but getting there is precarious and I'm not announcing that I'm there yet. I joined this site five years ago and right now I'm on day five. Grateful, but realistic.

One thing my addictions do is make me delusional and one thing early sobriety does is make me ride a pink cloud. Nope. Not falling for it this time. I can feel gratitude and experience self awareness at the same time.

I'm a creative person who has a plan to pick up where I left off, when I am healthy enough to do so, because it will help to keep me healthy.

xoxo

B
Old 08-16-2016, 03:38 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Wise words bexxed. In a few weeks time reality will sink in, but like you there's no way I'll fall for it again.

P
Old 08-16-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome cwood, Stale and Quincy - great to have you join us

D
Old 08-16-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

All right, since there's music talk here I am joining the class!

What do you guys think?
P
Welcome to the class MrPL

I am hoping my sobriety allows me to play and perform much better.
Actually I know it has already!
Old 08-16-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

You definitely should Elicia. Being a musician basically resumes to endless and very enjoyable practicing, as the better you get the more you realise how much better you want to be!
I just might do that. Gotta find me a guitar!!!