Notices

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 08-21-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Aw and thanks neverthought! You're right-I can't change what I've done but I can change where that leads me to in my future. I need to use it to reinforce my sobriety and not derail it by making everything seem hopeless.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kgirl41 View Post
This morning marks my two week milestone
I hope everyone is doing well
Good Job. How do you feel?
Old 08-21-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Common Theme?

Hi Augusters. It seems to me there is a common theme out there with us. One day we feel really good and the next we are freaking out. I know this is true for me. Friday was great, Saturday was rough and now on Sunday I feel medium good.

I guess this is the roller coaster of early detox/recovery that I have read about so much on this site. Thank God for this site as it has really helped me this first week. It is nice to have a way to connect with people going through the same situation.

Congratulations to everyone that is hanging in there which is all of us regardless of relapses or stumbles. If you're here then I think we're moving in the right direction.

This is a big deal for me as the weekend is coming to an end and I've been through the emotional ups/downs and put up with physically not feeling good, but I have not drank. Don't plan on drinking and have learned so much about the disease.

I no longer look at alcohol as a friend. Friends don't do the kind of stuff alcohol does to people. I don't need people like alcohol in my life.

Period. The end.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Good night folks......
Old 08-21-2016, 12:14 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hi everyone

I haven't had much time to get on here and post with the family visit this weekend but wanted to say hello, and this is day ten for me and I am doing well. The visitors just left for the airport and I'm chilling out in the silence of my house. It's peaceful.

I'm so glad I wasn't drinking during the visit. It was pleasant: I was able to do paint and color with my partner's niece who is four years old, cook a nice brunch for everyone this morning, and my house is clean because instead of getting controlled-sloshed, I sipped tea and water and cleaned as I went. I think they had a really nice time.

Instead of drinking yesterday afternoon, I played kickball with the niece. We went hiking with the dog, and drove to a ball game and watched fireworks. I slept well and woke up refreshed.

It was a really, really nice weekend and it most definitely would not have been so nice if I was drinking. Drinking doesn't make anything better.

Before they came I was nervous about the visit and uncomfortable with it. Drinking would have kept that barrier up, by taking me out of the present and removing me from really inhabiting a place of togetherness that I usually try to escape. There's no reason to do that, and much reason not to do that.

I am so grateful for these past 48 hours which showed me how important the decision I made ten days ago is and was.

xoxo

B
Old 08-21-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

bexxed, that's way cool. You exercised your sober muscles!
Old 08-21-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Bexxed that's a really good way of explaining it-I'm the same-drinking puts up a barrier between me and other people so I don't live in the moment. You described it much better though! It's like we forget that stepping out of our comfort zone is a good thing!!

Just tucked up in bed ready to get a killer sleep before work tomorrow. Very nervous, won't sleep much but this app is keeping me calmer. Roll on another 24 hours. We got this.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Quincy-you're spot on-alcohol is no friend, it lied to us all along! I hope tomorrow is an up day for you. This roller coaster is sure tiring!! But the sooner we ride it out the better!
Old 08-21-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quincy View Post

Good Job. How do you feel?
Thanks Quincy I'm very much on a roller coaster of emotions. Most of last week was good. Yesterday, I didn't have any cravings per say but I felt quiet and just disconnected I guess? Last night I perked up, we ordered the UFC fight and I made cheese dip. I drank Sprite and ate chips and enjoyed watching the fight with my son and hubby. I think I stayed up too late because today I am tired and weepy, been on the verge of crying all day. I honestly think I am sad because it's a beautiful day here and I think deep down I want to sit on my patio and drink beer. But I am committed to not drinking so I know I can't and I feel a bit like a spoiled brat that can't have her way.
Anyway, we have plans to go on a bike ride after dinner and I know I will feel better after that. So just feeling what I need to feel and keeping busy around the house.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bexxed View Post
Hi everyone

I haven't had much time to get on here and post with the family visit this weekend but wanted to say hello, and this is day ten for me and I am doing well. The visitors just left for the airport and I'm chilling out in the silence of my house. It's peaceful.

I'm so glad I wasn't drinking during the visit. It was pleasant: I was able to do paint and color with my partner's niece who is four years old, cook a nice brunch for everyone this morning, and my house is clean because instead of getting controlled-sloshed, I sipped tea and water and cleaned as I went. I think they had a really nice time.

Instead of drinking yesterday afternoon, I played kickball with the niece. We went hiking with the dog, and drove to a ball game and watched fireworks. I slept well and woke up refreshed.

It was a really, really nice weekend and it most definitely would not have been so nice if I was drinking. Drinking doesn't make anything better.

Before they came I was nervous about the visit and uncomfortable with it. Drinking would have kept that barrier up, by taking me out of the present and removing me from really inhabiting a place of togetherness that I usually try to escape. There's no reason to do that, and much reason not to do that.

I am so grateful for these past 48 hours which showed me how important the decision I made ten days ago is and was.

xoxo

B
That is so awesome B, I'm so proud of you!
Old 08-21-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
fgo

Hey everyone,
Glad to see everyone getting through the ups & downs. Day 7 for me today, I did something out of my comfort zone today, I went to church, first time in maybe 5 years. After years of spending Sunday morning felling blah for all those years it was what I needed. The church is all religions & no religions represented. The topic. Was transforming your life with faith., kinda fit. It's a small step in changing my thoughts & habits. I quit drinking to make a better life for myself , small steps. Mind, body, spirit, social. I read all of the posts and wish I was as good at responding to them as some of you are, it's awsome reading posts with multiple responses. Maybe when my brain levels off. Just know I am pulling for all of you.
Not even one.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
fgo

I meant not even one drink.....
Old 08-21-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

I just thought about something. (skip this if ya want, it's just a musing). I drank, with enthusiasm, for 42 years (except one 6-yr sober period). So yes, I have driven when I shouldn't have. I've been very lucky to have never received a DWI/DUI. So.....if I manage to maintain my newfound sobriety as I intend to, I will NEVER have to fear getting a DWI/DUI for the rest of my life. That doesn't mean a traffic accident will not happen, it just means what I just said. DWI/DUI has wrecked many households, careers, and relationships. Just one more perk from being sober forever.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

So many wonderful, encouraging words here today. The roller coaster is tough... but when we're feeling down we just have to remember that this too shall pass. I cried and cried in the early hours of this morning. Slept a little more and when I got up felt so much better. Made waffles and scrambled eggs for breakfast then got busy doing projects around the house. Got so much accomplished. Toward the end of my drinking I could never seem to get anything done until I had a few drinks. Then I would work for an hour or two, while still drinking, until I was too drunk to do anymore. What a chore it was just living life!! Grateful to feel mostly comfortable in my skin for now. Love and hugs to all of you...😘
Old 08-21-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Now it is my turn to get on the emotional rollar coster! I got out of work and on my way home and just cant stop crying. Tonight would be a night i would have loved to numb out and just "disappear". I feel sad but even more just p!$$ed off. I dont know if it is just part of coming off of alc or if it is dealing with things and situations and emotions im not numbing anymore.

No matter what AV throws at me, my reply is, "i dont drink". Doesnt make me any less mad or sad right now, though.

Thank you for all your postings - i can "thank" you for them since im on my phone, but im reading them all and thinking of you all and glad to have this group.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Night everyone. End of day 12 here in the UK!

Bexxed and kgirl - very happy for you both, you should be proud!

Quincy - good eye, roller coaster topic is popping up a lot. Wonder as we all progress through our recoveries what others we will get.

Julia, SSG, Neverthought - I am sure there's better days ahead for all of you. We are here to support each other and this August class is amazing for that. Nice to see that even from a hard place you guys still manage to help us all!

Sorry if I missed anyone, hard to keep up with everything now kids are back in the house.

Day 13 tomorrow (my lucky number!)

P
Old 08-21-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by Julia8 View Post
Now it is my turn to get on the emotional rollar coster! I got out of work and on my way home and just cant stop crying.
I know ... cryin' in the car is something I've done many times past year. Bummer when I don't have a tissue... gotta search the console for some old McDonalds napkin or something ...
Old 08-21-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

MidnightRider - lololol! I used a McD napkin today! Those darn things come in handy for post-drunk-now-in-recovery-in-the-car-emotional-breakdowns. McD should become an SR sponser.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:24 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
I know ... cryin' in the car is something I've done many times past year. Bummer when I don't have a tissue... gotta search the console for some old McDonalds napkin or something ...
Those McDonald's napkins do come in handy.....if you stash them away somewhere.

Good to hear from you MR. I hadn't heard from you in a few days and saw you were bouncing around on SR. Surfing SR is good for the soul.

Don't worry, I'm only stalking you for your Guitar.

After 5 years on SR, on and off of course, I always check-in on classmates. I've seen many come and go over the years, including myself as mentioned.

Piece-out Augustables....Psyched about have a week-in already, come Monday...........(It'll be alright, come Monday.....)

Great job class, keep up your strength!
Old 08-21-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Red

It took me a little time to work out what to do with myself too SSG. I'd drunk for so long my idea of fun was a bottle.

It took a little time for my imagination to refire and for me to remember the things I used to do for fun, but it happened.

Good thing too really - sitting in front of the TV was ok for drunk me but sober me couldn't tolerate that.

Congrats on your milestones Elicia Martin SSG cwood Gretel antman neverhought finallygotout Mr PL and meshelly

Also to anyone I missed

Early recovery is a bit of a rollercoaster Quincy.

It's weird feeling down and not making those feelings go away but you'll get used to it...you'll find they pass pretty quickly too

D