Notices

Class of July 2016 Support Thread Part 4

Old 08-07-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

DH'S birthday today. Bbq at our house, another day surrounded by alcohol and drinkers. Starting to wear a bit thin now. Just want peace and quiet. Feel drained, but got through the alcohol fueled weekend without drinking. Drunk people are hard work when your not one of them!
Old 08-07-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
DH'S birthday today. Bbq at our house, another day surrounded by alcohol and drinkers. Starting to wear a bit thin now. Just want peace and quiet. Feel drained, but got through the alcohol fueled weekend without drinking. Drunk people are hard work when your not one of them!
Good luck tonight. That's tough stuff. Hope you get some peace soon.

1 Corinthians 10:13
Old 08-07-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I'm sorry Oswin- that's gotta be pretty tough. I admire your strength and I am sorry you don't have more support during this time. Have you talked to your husband about how being around all the booze is hard for you?
Old 08-07-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hang in there Oswin! So sorry you have to deal with that. Not sure I could do it.
What does DH stand for? I know it means husband, but can't figure out what the D stands for.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
I'm sorry Oswin- that's gotta be pretty tough. I admire your strength and I am sorry you don't have more support during this time. Have you talked to your husband about how being around all the booze is hard for you?
He doesn't get it, he's a drinker and as long as nothing is interfering with that then he's fine. Then he'll say stuff like your quiet or your moody and I just feel like I'm banging my head against a wall. I got asked tonight by someone if I could have a glass of presseco because it is a celebration. What planet is presseco not alcohol. I'm sure it will get easier.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KarenOskie View Post
Hang in there Oswin! So sorry you have to deal with that. Not sure I could do it.
What does DH stand for? I know it means husband, but can't figure out what the D stands for.
It's dearest or in my case at the moment drunken
Old 08-07-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that's going on.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:18 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunflowerlife View Post
DAY 33 Another Sunday, another day to have to deal with stonewalling from DH. Weekends just aren't fun anymore. We are always fighting about something (now he's pissed at me because I took over making the coffee and says I am trying to control the situation. I am in fact trying to solve the problem.) Stupid stuff, believe me I know, but that's all our relationship is these days. He mentioned we should get a babysitter and go out to dinner sometime (this happens like once a year) and honestly the thought of that doesn't even appeal to me. When we were drinking buddies- sure. We had a blast going out to bars and restaurants and getting drunk. Even after kids we had a few times we went out and got wasted. But those days are long gone (thank god) and I don't feel there is anything left. Our best times were spent drinking. It is so hard and sad to admit it but it's true. So on top of learning how to be sober and navigate through life without drinking I also have to re learn to love my husband and actually enjoy being with him sober. I don't know how to do that. I really don't. He's much happier when he drinks too, that's the problem. I am sure if he had some beers at the house this weekend we would not be fighting.

Anyway, had a good TRX workout at the gym (hanging straps you use to do body weight exercises) and now I am getting the little man to sleep. Going to shower and go to the kids store to get DS some shorts for preK which starts tomorrow. It will be better than sticking around here amidst this negativity.

In diet news, I found a book cleanse and got all my fruits and veggies for the week. It's called The 10 Day Green Smoothie Cleanse. You basically eat 3 smoothies a day and can snack on raw veggies/fruits, hardboiled eggs, and limited nuts. I am excited but nervous. I have done a juice fast before but only for 5 days. This is 10 whopping days (of course the fiber should make it more filling than juicing) but the results are supposed to be amazing (at least ten lbs lost for most people.) I would be thrilled to lose 10 lbs before my brothers wedding on Labor Day weekend. Wish me luck people- this is not going to be easy.

Oh, I am gluten free as of yesterday and feeling really good about that decision. Going to start tracking my days of being binge free/gf as well. If I can tackle 1 addiction I can tackle 2. I am stronger than I give myself credit for.

Happy Sunday guys. Keep on keepin' on..
So sorry you're weekends are not going well, Sunflower. I've been divorced twice so obviously I didn't figure it out. My 2nd husband was a dry drunk and made my life miserable. I used to say he was emotionally retarted...he had the reactions of a 12 or 13 year old to everything. Which makes sense since that's when he started drinking. Hopefully, you and your hubs can figure this out..hugs :-)

I rarely eat gluten but did have some birthday cake yesterday. I'm pretty sure it's bad luck if you don't eat some of your childs or granchilds birthday cake. I feel so much better when it's out of my diet. Not sure I could do the juicing, I love texture in my foods but one juice a day might not hurt. What kind of juicer do you have?

Well, my pool guy just showed up ( I was expecting hime earlier this week) so I'm going to run out and see if he needs anything. Hopefull we'll be swimming by the end of the week!
Old 08-07-2016, 04:20 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KarenOskie View Post
Welcome Wisc! I'm glad you're here.
Sorry you're having problems with your fella, Sunflower. I wish he could be supportive and helpful. Maybe he's just clueless about what you need from him?
I'm trying out new meetings and found one today that I absolutely love! I'm pretty sure I've got a new sponsor! Hooray! I didn't want to put her on the spot asking her in front of everyone, but here they have this moment at the end of the meeting where they say, "Anyone willing to be a sponsor please raise your hand" and she did. So, seems likely. I'm going to call her in a bit, I'll let you all know how it goes.
I'm glad you found a sponsor, Karen! It's kind of like trying to find a good therapist. You have to try a few before you click with someone. Keep us posted on how it goes :-)
Old 08-07-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Sunflower I heard a speaker say that people grow up in their lives living and learning how to act and feel in situations.
Alcoholics learn to drink more and more to deal with these same situations, but for us, the effect is relief. We then get relied from drinking, then our "dealing with life emotions", become immature because life goes on..... But we stay drunk ( example- I drank because I worried and couldn't deal with money problems).
It looks to me like the point was, that alcoholics may look happier when they drink ( stood out when you said Mr sunflower seems happier). I know I chSed after that edge off/ happiness feeling.
Knowing this made me feel less psycho and more of what i am- a recovering alcoholic that's trying to learn to live again and be comfortable in sobriety.
I'm probably still crazy lol, but I'm a learning.

PS
Last night My 3 yr old brought me a crayola magic marker and said " daddy help me"-
I helped him put the lid on it. He put it on a shelf and went on to do whatever.
I'm at my PT job today, wife calls raising the roof. He'd drawn all over the hardwood floor and drew circles around all his hot wheels cars and toys scattered in that room.
Hell greens a good color, right?
I just mentioned in a previous post about my ex and how he was stuck in the emotions of a 12 or 13 year old. He never learned how to properly respond to situations because he was always drunk. It's tough...

Love the marker story! You'll look back on that some day and laugh!!!
Old 08-07-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InvisibleDanger View Post
I'm feeling so sad today. I keep thinking of all the bad things I have done and said while drinking and I'm basically convincing myself that I am a bad, bad person. Rotten to the core. Being alone isn't helping either. At least I'm not drinking today, that's good. I wish that I could respond to you individually, but I don't know what to say to you. Sorry.
Invisible, the things you said and did are not who you are, they are what you did. You're not a bad person, just did some not so smart things. It's never too late to turn things around. Do something kind for someone, anyone, every day. I don't eat fast food often, but occasionally, I'll run through a Starbucks and pay for the person behind me. That's my favorite thing to do! Pay a compliment to someone. I find doing things for others is extremely helpful in boosing my spirits. Hope you get through this :-)

Old 08-07-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CuteNGayYay View Post
Just checking in quickly on day 18. Stay strong today folks .
Good to see you, Cute. Great job on day 18...you're so close to 3 weeks!!!!!
Old 08-07-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by City View Post
I'm on day 2. I'm a newcomer too and still trying to figure out how this site works. I just read the post from sunflower and it resonated with me as a stay home mom. I've been doing a night binge about once every 30 days. While I have improved, I want complete sobriety. I've been sober for 1.5 years before. I don't drink like a normal person and nothing good comes out of it for me. I am emotionally and mentally stunted from being dependent on alcohol for so many years. I have a daughter now and need to be better. I need to heal. God has given me another chance and while I regret what I did 2 days ago, I must move forward. What am I going to change this time to stay sober? I have to fight for my life. I hate the ensuing depression that happens after a drunk. Glad to have friends whiny can share with on his journey as others just don't seem to get it. Hugs to all trying to get better and stay sober!
Welcome City! You asked the perfect question - What am I going to change this time to stay sober? The best advice I've been given is make a plan. What will you do when you get a craving? Play with your child? Go for a walk? Drink a huge glass of water? There's a whole link on making a plan, but a wise person told me it didn't have to be super complicated. Just say, "No matter what, I will not drink."

Keep posting and there will be so much help offered. SR is an amazing group!
Old 08-07-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
He doesn't get it, he's a drinker and as long as nothing is interfering with that then he's fine. Then he'll say stuff like your quiet or your moody and I just feel like I'm banging my head against a wall. I got asked tonight by someone if I could have a glass of presseco because it is a celebration. What planet is presseco not alcohol. I'm sure it will get easier.
Ugh- that's annoying. Again, I am sorry. If you can get through this while he continues to drink as usual then you are a superstar. I really do hope one day he "gets it."
Old 08-07-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's Hevyn whose sig says 'You are so much more than the worst thing you've ever done'.

Everyone here understand alcoholism ID. Don't be too hard on yourself cops noone here is going to be too hard on you

D
Old 08-07-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support Optimist. I think I am the one stuck at 15 since that's when I started using (I was a pot head before I was a drunk.) DH started earlier than me but I don't think he's an addict. He is more relaxed when he drinks and had done some stupid crap but the fact that he has pretty much gone from drinking every weekend with me to rarely drinking at all shows me he doesn't have an issue. At least that's what I think.

I can't remember what juicer we have- it was a $100 one we got from Best Buy and it's in a box in the garage. I enjoy juicing but it's so damn expensive so I don't do it often (I did the juice fast 6 years ago.)

For the smoothies I will use my Vitamix which I got from QVC a couple years ago - gotta love their monthly payment plans! I have the one with the smaller pitcher which fits under the cabinet. It's pretty awesome!
Old 08-07-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, hope you all had a good sober weekend. I was praying to HP for a distraction as I had made two weeks today but didn't want to think about drinking, or my unrequited love, or anything like that. And once again HP provided....as I was driving home some idiot threw a rock from a bridge over the interstate and smashed my sunroof. Luckily I am okay! Just stuck with the hassle of making the claim and getting it replaced. How did I ever have time to drink!

Love you guys thought you'd enjoy my story as something different to read about. Never a dull moment haha
Old 08-07-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Idiots everywhere! I'm glad you're ok EDC.

Sobriety reigns supreme here also, the new lifestyle is so me. Went and dammed a stream with my kids and played in the mud yesterday... good times.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Welcome city !
Old 08-07-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you weren't hurt, EDC! You are having a great attitude about it. I hope they catch whoever did it!
I'm so sorry the weekend is over! I want to learn to enjoy my weekdays, too, so I won't feel like this.
Welcome City!
Goodnight everyone. Thank God we're going to bed sober!