Notices

Class of March 2016 Part 26

Old 07-26-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulRain View Post
Home from a very long day. My PJs feel glorious!! I'm putting together a quick late dinner then getting the kids off to bed. Hope you guys had a great day!
Hey PR!!! Have a good sleep!

I'm off to bed too. Night all!!! :-)
Old 07-26-2016, 10:14 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Checking in. It's late and it's been a long day of working on a $120 million health care budget. One mistake and it turns into a big deal and maybe ends up in the newspaper for this large governmental employer. I was so careful....wondering all day how on earth I ended up as a businesswoman, when I am so very different than everyone around me. And, it wouldn't surprise me if it's one reason that I started drinking....to escape...a life that is out of sync with who I wanted to be.

I like to write stories, visit people in the hospital, clean up beaches, rescue dogs, watch silent movies (like Lillian Gish) or listen to Billie Holliday. Couldn't care less about a health care budget!

When I wake up from this alcoholic haze I put myself in....who will I want to be? I'm not sure. I hope I figure it out....or at least stay in the moment long enough to not look away when it's time to choose. I feel a fork in the road coming ahead in the near future. That's what I want most from sobriety. To be happy. If there is no other positive to not drinking other than being happy....I'll take it. The rest, even what I miss about drinking, is truly inconsequential. Just want to be happy.

I'm tired and melancholy so forgive this ramble. I'm going to read your posts now. I hope to read everyone is well and happy.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Kind of a funny little story: Our ice maker is broken in our freezer so I drove down the street to the convenience store to grab a bag of ice. I walked in and the owner saw me.

I don't know if you guys remember but last week (or the week before?) I asked him not to sell me alcohol ever again. I said "I am a recovering alcoholic and I don't trust myself. If I ever come in here to buy alcohol can you please NOT sell it to me?" He said he wouldn't.

So anyway....When he saw me walk in this morning he had a nervous look on his face. The ice is in the back of the store right by the alcohol so I have to walk the same exact route to get the ice down the aisles as I did alcohol.

I got my 20 pound bag of ice and proudly carried it up to the counter. I didn't even LOOK at the alcohol. When I set the ice down to pay for it the owner said "whew!!! I thought you were coming to buy alcohol!" I proudly said, "NOPE! Our ice machine is broken and all I am getting is ice. I am still sober!" He smiled and congratulated me. It felt good. I love being sober. Life is so much easier.
I really loved this story Kiki!
Old 07-26-2016, 10:24 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I am a night owl west coast, when I check in most of you are asleep
Old 07-26-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Kiki- I bought The Road Less Traveled around 1994 I put child rearing lessons to practice one in particular, for me it was a book I kept going back to for many years.
Scott Peck is a Psychiatrist and Spiritual guide
Old 07-26-2016, 10:33 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

Originally Posted by fred59 View Post
Me too Fred! I know the earth is round and all, but feels like the whole rest of the world is sleeping right now. An illusion.

Olivia, come by anytime!
Old 07-26-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

number one positive is I can go through my divorce with clarity and not lose site of how great a mother my wife has been and continues to be to our 2 kids.
I was lucky to be sober for all the years my kids were growing up.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:44 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

positives of drinking
for a long time it helped me with pain, luckily when it stopped working I was able to quit.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:47 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank past any positives but still couldn't stop...scary stuff.

D
Old 07-26-2016, 11:37 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fred59 View Post
When you check in it's afternoon for me. Time is weird.

Love what you wrote Lillian, I like doing all those things too and happiness is all I care much about. I hope you find it.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:01 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
Hi guys! Hope it's ok if I pop in and read your posts sometimes. You are a special group!
Bobbie and Kayak - I'm in Chesterfield! We are so close to each other. I'm not sure but I thought Kayak was heading west... Not sure if that was permanent or a vacation. That was a post awhile back and I haven't been on in a while.

Take care all.

Olivia
Used to hang out at the Chesterfield Mall years ago on my way to Six Flags. I worked at Six Flags as a teenager
Old 07-27-2016, 02:16 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Positives of not drinking

Not a waking up in the neighbor's yard

Not waking up with the neighbors wife
Long story

Not waking up broke

Not waking up wondering what the hell happened to my car

Not waking up with absolutely no recall of the night before :-(

Not waking up and wondering why everybody is mad at me

Not waking up feeling like I fell off the wagon got ran over by the wagon drug through town

The only positive thing I can think of I had an excuse for all the dumb crap I did but that's not a positive.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LillianGish View Post
Checking in. It's late and it's been a long day of working on a $120 million health care budget. One mistake and it turns into a big deal and maybe ends up in the newspaper for this large governmental employer. I was so careful....wondering all day how on earth I ended up as a businesswoman, when I am so very different than everyone around me. And, it wouldn't surprise me if it's one reason that I started drinking....to escape...a life that is out of sync with who I wanted to be.

I like to write stories, visit people in the hospital, clean up beaches, rescue dogs, watch silent movies (like Lillian Gish) or listen to Billie Holliday. Couldn't care less about a health care budget!

When I wake up from this alcoholic haze I put myself in....who will I want to be? I'm not sure. I hope I figure it out....or at least stay in the moment long enough to not look away when it's time to choose. I feel a fork in the road coming ahead in the near future. That's what I want most from sobriety. To be happy. If there is no other positive to not drinking other than being happy....I'll take it. The rest, even what I miss about drinking, is truly inconsequential. Just want to be happy.

I'm tired and melancholy so forgive this ramble. I'm going to read your posts now. I hope to read everyone is well and happy.
Hi LG. I can relate to this. I often look around and wonder how I got to where I am. I don't dislike my work but never envisioned myself doing what I do. I try to keep positive about it - I am luckier than most. Still, the drinking always seemed to make my life more interesting and cool. Until it didn't. I think I have a lot to learn about being present - my drinking was a way of getting to someplace else. I don't know if that makes any sense.

I hope you find happiness
Old 07-27-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Something to inspire

rps20160727_064742.jpg
Old 07-27-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Good morning. Checking in. Hot one (again) today.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Hope everyone has a nice day. I should be heading to bed but I still have a few hours work left - I probably won't check in after that though, I imagine I'll collapse into bed straight away. So still here, still sober, grateful for that. Have a good day guys.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

Just got back from a morning run - it's hot already and I kind of sucked at it, but I did it. Lol.

Now I'm sitting out on the patio having a tea while Charlie hunts rabbits. She has never caught one but I've always wondered what her reaction would be if she did.

After this it's a shower, breakfast and yoga. I will catch up with you all later!!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Grateful for sobriety TODAY. And last night. Boo hoo I know that's all I talk about but holy cow. Sleep is so stinking important I can't believe I can function at all during the day. After her molars come through we have got to do something about the sleep. Sorry baby girl. Not good for anyone anymore.

Headed to a spray park to beat the heat since I don't have regular access to a pool.

So the kids spend time playing video games together while I try to pack and simultaneously make sure the little one isn't going to hurt herself in the house with all her cruising and climbing. Fabulous. Feel like I ran a marathon already.

Love to all. Lots of check ins today. Thank YOU guys for being here.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Good morning! Happy Wednesday! 52 days today.

Kayak, I spent lots of time at Six Flags growing up. Am sure I saw you there. That's funny.

Okay, time to work. Will check in later.

Drinking is dumb!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

A quick check-in, day 13. A slight reprieve in the weather so I went for a run early--one mile running, two miles walking. It's a start. Halfway through I was thinking about breakfast at a nearby diner. "No!" I told myself. "It's oatmeal for you today." Blah, oatmeal.

Not too inspired today, but onward and upward.