Notices

Class of March 2016 Part 26

Old 07-30-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Checking in. Offered both a beer and a margarita unexpectedly at the pool last night. Shook me. Declined. Day 7. It's making me feel anxious about today and tonight.

But I'm playing it through.

Hope all is well! Seems quiet. You guys are doing really really well!
Great job Apple!! We build strength little by little!! Congrats on day seven!!
Old 07-30-2016, 09:13 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

What movie Sam?

We just re-watched Jurassic World last night.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Day 140. It was 20 weeks ago today that I poured that last three or four or five glasses of wine at 1 in the afternoon before getting ready for work. I had the beginnings of a hangover in the middle of my shift that day. Yuck. Woke up the next morning declaring once again, "I'm never going to drink again" and then after work that night I decided to get over my shame and guilt and post here on SR again after a 5-month absence. And that's when things finally began to change for me.

Actually off work today. I've already been to the farmer's market this morning, but the pickings were slim. Cooking a big breakfast now. I want hashbrowns but I don't know where my good grater is. Only one I can find is going to make for some very thin potatoes. Oh well, going to try it anyways.

Have to run to the mall in a bit. Yuck. Going to birthday night at my home AA group tonight. Also not my favorite style of AA meeting but I'm sure I'll still be glad I went once I'm there.

Great job taking action yesterday, Fred. I find more and more that action is a vital part of my own recovery--well, that and one very big non-action in not taking that first drink no matter what. Though I guess that's really an active decision as well. Hmm... And I really want to go to a Smart meeting. Unfortunately there are none within 150 miles of me. Maybe next time I go to Austin I'll see if I can fit one in.

Awesome news on the diet/weight issues, Kayak. Keep on doing the next right thing.

Hope your farmer's market visit was more fruitful than mine was today, Samantha. EDIT: I love kohlrabi!

23 is one of my favorite numbers, KiKi. Seriously. Hope you got some more sleep.

Enjoy your baby sniffing, Bobbieka. I have to assume at this point that the new smell is wearing off and being replaced by a poo smell, right?

Congrats on one week today, Applekat. Instead of letting last night shake you, be proud that you said no. You did the right thing yesterday and will do so again today, my friend.

HOW IS EVERYONE ELSE DOING? CHECK IN PLEASE! BUILD UP THOSE ACCOUNTABILITY MUSCLES.

Slightly burnt my hashbrowns while typing in here. Oops. Oh well, I like them crispy anyways.

Ask for help as soon as you need it. Help others when you can. And remember you don't have to take that first drink today no matter what!
Old 07-30-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

What movie Sam?

We just re-watched Jurassic World last night.
Not sure yet....if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears
Old 07-30-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Hi Casey!

I love burnt hash-browns....I pretty much like anything charred - I'm weird like that. 20 weeks is amazing and motivational!! Thanks for being a part of my journey
Old 07-30-2016, 09:32 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  
Re-Member

We'll be fancy and call them caramelized hash browns, Samantha. Either way, they didn't turn out so great, but I think that had more to do with my lack of a proper grater than the being slightly burnt part.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
We'll be fancy and call them caramelized hash browns, Samantha. Either way, they didn't turn out so great, but I think that had more to do with my lack of a proper grater than the being slightly burnt part.
Any thoughts on how would be best to cook kohlrabi??
Old 07-30-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I've eaten the leaves raw on cheesesteak-type sandwiches and also cut up the bulb and roasted that in the oven with a little rosemary and thyme. And I've just thrown the leaves into various stir fries as well. All three ways were tasty.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

Thanks!!
Old 07-30-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Applekat way to resist 7 days way to go
I have 4 months sober today I have to go everyone have a great day
Old 07-30-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Going on a vacation to Idaho, borrowing a Big Book to take with me, that and my Bible will keep me sober.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Congrats Fred! Outstanding.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:19 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Hi again! I finally caught up on all the posts from yesterday. Sounds like everyone had a pretty good day!

Yesterday with my dad was pretty fun. He took my husband and kids and I out to breakfast, to a fun place with lots of video games etc, shopping and then he bought us dinner. The hardest part was when my dad bought 2 bottles of wine and we had them in our house. I hate wine and always have but I STILL don't trust myself. If my AV wants to drink bad enough, who's to say I wouldn't drink it anyway?

Anyway, it was in our house and we never have alcohol in our house. We don't even have a wine opener so my dad had to go buy one. My husband and dad drank "normally" and only had 1-2 glasses of wine with dinner. After my dad left I dumped the rest of bottle #1 down the drain and told my husband to take the other un-opened bottle to his car and give it to someone this week. I just don't want it in my house.

It was a very creepy feeling having it in my house last night. I can't explain it. It was like there was a bottle of poison sitting on my table. It was like there was something evil in my house! There WAS EVIL POISON IN MY HOUSE and now it's gone! And I didn't drink it!!! It;s evil poison to ME and I view it as a loaded gun sitting there. Oh well...it's a new day! :-)

Applekat: I love mall food! Yum! They have this great japanese place that has the BEST teriaki chicken! The mall was more fun when my kids were little because they liked the play area and the carousel too! ADD: I love Amazon too! ADD: 1 week today!!! WOO HOO! ADD: Happy Anniversary. You'll be ok tonight. Just try not to focus on alcohol and sneak off to the bathroom if you need us. ADD: I am so glad you were able to avoid the drinks that were offered to you last night. People are always offering me drinks too! Drives me crazy! I want to buy a tee-shirt that says "I do NOT drink so do NOT offer me a drink!" lol

immri: You should watch Wentworth if you get a chance! It is SOOO good and addicting! It's on Netflix.

Casey: You should definitely buy a Simpson's lego house when you reach your goal! ha! ADD: 140 days! Woo hoo!!! ADD: I like the number 23 too.

Bobbie: I am glad you got your contacts and can see now! That explains are your crazy posts lately! haha. Just kidding. You and Sam must really like to run! I hate to run. I only run if someone is chasing me! hahahahah. I like power walking, roller blading and biking for exercise.

Lillian: I don't have any advice on what to say to your employee that is always late but knowing me I would just bluntly yell at them to be on time or get fired and there may be a few cuss words. I am not very nice about things like that. lol

Kayak: I like your new photo of the man with the oar in front of the moon. I think you should use that one for your avatar! And I love the name IV Serenity for your new boat! ADD: I hate drinking dreams too! I always wake up feeling so panicked and it takes me a while to shake it off! ADD: I am so glad your glucose numbers are down! Our bodies will heal if we don't put anymore poison in them.

Sam: I love waking up without a hangover too! I NEVER want to have another hangover. EVER! ADD: Wow! You had 16,500 steps yesterday? Amazing! How many calories burned is that? I am still praying that your blood tests come back fine! ADD: I have never heard of Kohlrabi but I love broccoli and cabbage so I may like it!

Pelagic: Hey there! I agree about Kayak's photo. I like the first one best too. :-) Run for me today! I hate running! lol

Fred: I hope your meditation went ok yesterday. ADD: Great job on getting through that huge craving last night! ACTION is the key for sure!!! I hope you are having a nice day.

Purplrks: As I said earlier, I am so glad you checked in! We missed you! Enjoy the Guns and Roses concert.

Dee: I hope you are having a great weekend too!

1Stepup
BBG
ClearlyHeaded
Jemma
Keets
Thirteenth
Ladybug
Lostlilly
MITA
MISH
Missy
PeacefulRain
Spacegoat

PLEASE CHECK IN!!! We love you unconditionally and there is nothing you can say or do to change that! We miss you!
Old 07-30-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 months FRED!!!
Old 07-30-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Great post Kiki. You are showing so much strength!!!!! I hope to get back there again!!
Old 07-30-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fred59 View Post
Applekat way to resist 7 days way to go
I have 4 months sober today I have to go everyone have a great day
Wow!! Four months is awesome!!
Old 07-30-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 317 (permalink)  

I just wrote out my anniversary card to my husband (last minute right?). I could cry. I don't have any crazy hardships in my life that I would want to drink away. Husband, house, kids, family, dog....what gives me the right to have such moments of weakness and drink.

Then...I don't drink THAT much. Just a little too often when I do choose to.

Why does this voice creep in?

It's my anniversary, why not?

Boo hoo. These early days suck.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on four months, Fred. March 2016 was a great month to get sober, in my unbiased opinion.

Good on you for getting that poison out of your house, KiKi.

Read through your "what will happen when I drink" post again, Applekat. Happy anniversary! Why would you want to celebrate a special day with a glass of poison? Makes no sense.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Checking in with you folks. An early bike ride for me, visit to the farmer's market (we have fantastic local peaches right now), reading afterwards. A quiet day. It's raining now and sure enough my AV pipes right up: "it's raining, dude, nothing to do outside, the book is slow going anyway, it's a perfect day to drink." Nope, not today it isn't.

Kayak, that's great news about the bloodwork! Keep up the great work.

Applekat, you can do this. You're doing great!

fred, congrats on 4 months!

Kiki, thanks for a great post. You are so strong now! Wow!

This is the second longest stretch of sobriety for me since I started in March (16 days). It feels different this time, less enthusiasm but more perspective and determination. This isn't an experiment; it's the new normal. It has to be. Time to settle in and make it work--no matter what.

Stay cool, stay strong fellow Marchers.
Old 07-30-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

I just wrote out my anniversary card to my husband (last minute right?). I could cry. I don't have any crazy hardships in my life that I would want to drink away. Husband, house, kids, family, dog....what gives me the right to have such moments of weakness and drink.

Then...I don't drink THAT much. Just a little too often when I do choose to.

Why does this voice creep in?

It's my anniversary, why not?

Boo hoo. These early days suck.
Early days DO suck but it will NEVER get better drinking. It will ALWAYS get worse.

I recently heard someone in an AA meeting tell a story about Mother Theresa. When she was alive she would help, care and pray for the sick. She stated that out of ALL the diseases she had seen people die from in her life...alcoholism was the most horrid and painful to watch.

Let's not let that be US! Ok? Tell your AV to F off and just don't drink TODAY. You can worry about tomorrow tomorrow.

Youre doing great too! I feel a little stronger each day but I never let my guard up. Ever.

Hang in there!!!