Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 7

Old 08-12-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CountryGal123 View Post
Glad to see u again, Jo!!!

Jazz handz!!! Lol
Oh how I've missed those jazz hands sweetie!!!!!
Old 08-12-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Hi gang! Wow so much has been going on since I was last here....new jobs, babies, clear liver results etc etc.....
It's been a complicated and strange and also wonderful few weeks. Potted version - had an amazing holiday (one of the best ever). Girls went away with their dad and I turned to drinking that very same night. It lasted about 3 days when I had a wake up call and gave myself a proper talking to. Then I promptly attended AA for 9 nights in a row. It was just what I needed to keep me safe and I've now got a sponsor who is a lovely lady and we are taking it steady together. I have decided that AA is the route for me. It wouldn't have been my first choice (higher power and all that) but the more I go the more I feel that it is where I need to be and quite frankly I will do absolutely anything now to maintain a sober life.
So all in all I am happy. My girls are home. The sun is shining and the summer is only half way through. I want to be sober more than anything else in the world.........
Sorry I've been away so long guys but I'm back now if you'll have me......take care. Jo xxx
Great to see you back and posting

We are definitely here for you and if you need someone to relate to who also had to go the AA route, I am here. As my sponsor said, takes a village so use all the resources at your disposal. You got this!!
Old 08-12-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad to see some missing faces back here. While I'm not technically a Mayfly, you guys are my third favorite class right after my own March 16 and July 13 classes. You've got a good vibe going here. Wishing everyone a safe and sober weekend! Tomorrow marks five months sober for me. Couldn't have done it without SR and all the above-mentioned classes.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Great job on 5 months, Casey!!!
Old 08-12-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Jo - it's great you're firmly back on track

D
Old 08-12-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Missed you badly here, Jo! So glad to read you; once a Mayfly, etc...

I'm almost desperate enough, scared enough, to attend an actual AA meeting; been there, done that, always felt I wasn't doing it right, and wasn't "getting it," like everyone else seemed to be; but home alone is certainly not working for me, either! So....something different? Sh*t...hate change! Love you guys. Eagle: you totally rock, your posts reek of good tidings and caring and sobriety! Keep it up...you inspire me...all of you do...Arp
Old 08-12-2016, 09:39 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

And CaseyW: you are most certainly an honorary Mayfly, and a wonderful asset here; your five months is an awesome achievement!! Glad you're hanging with us...please keep posting.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:19 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Morning all! It's great getting up at a sensible hour on a weekend instead of feeling rubbish and hibernating till lunch time. Sun not out yet but I'm hopeful. I can't tell you how happy I am to have my girls back home. It has been a blessing they are great girls. Plus instead of going up to bed at 8pm to drink we are staying up together watching the Olympics and snuggling. I know they love this and so do I.
Boyfriend still drinking every night. Not to ridiculous excess but he's still doing it. I'm letting him get on with it. He sits in the new dining room watching boy tv (cars etc) and me and the girls get our evening. I am aware that there is a separation between us growing but quite frankly my sobriety and my girls come first so for now it is what it is.
I've got a lovely feeling inside (AA call it serenity) and am enjoying it. I am not naïve I know there will be tough times ahead but armed with you guys, AA and my lovely sponsor I feel optimistic.
I wish you all a happy weekend and if there are any hoverers out there struggling and not daring to post please do. Being there for one another is a big help for us all I believe.
Lots of love to all. Jo xxx
Old 08-13-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eagle108 View Post
Great to see you back and posting

We are definitely here for you and if you need someone to relate to who also had to go the AA route, I am here. As my sponsor said, takes a village so use all the resources at your disposal. You got this!!
Thanks Eagle and by the way many congrats on your wonderful news! What a gift in your new found sobriety I am thrilled for you and your family!
It's taken me a while to get my head round AA as you know but I have been "keep coming back" and it is at last clicking. Count me in!
Old 08-13-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Thanks Eagle and by the way many congrats on your wonderful news! What a gift in your new found sobriety I am thrilled for you and your family!
It's taken me a while to get my head round AA as you know but I have been "keep coming back" and it is at last clicking. Count me in!
Thanks Jo and Arp for the kind words!! We are definitely excited and feel very blessed.

Yeah, AA does take awhile for many to get their head around and their is a reason at the end of every meeting they say "keep coming back" and "it works if you work it." Going to a family meeting tonight (based on Ch 9 in the Big Book "The Family Afterwards") and the guy hosting has 9 years in AA and just got his 2 year sobriety chip.

I firmly believe in the line from the Rolling Stones song of "You can't always get what you want but you find sometimes you get what you need." Life doesn't always go the way we envision (nor does sobriety) but when you sit in those rooms day after day (as your schedule allows) it's incredible how things work out if you just do the work and let them.

Sounds like a good plan on putting your sobriety and your girls first. They also say don't make any big decisions your first year and only you control your sobriety, so if you've found an equilibrium point then just go with that and do the work. Awesome you've found a sponsor and are building a support network. Very important and glad you are doing so well

Congrats as well Casey...5 months is awesome
Old 08-13-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Another saying I hear a lot in AA is "Take what you need and leave the rest." I have some issues with parts of AA but still attend meetings regularly because it's good for me to be in a room with other people who understand. I always hear something I need to hear when I go to a meeting, and even if I don't really work the steps I try to incorporate the 10th (always trying to look at my part in things) and the 12th (helping others as much as I can) steps in my life each and every day.

Wishing all of you a safe and sober weekend! You're doing great.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Well, we made it back from Vacationland safe and sound and I've just had my first alcohol free vaca in over 10 years or so It was an adventurously exhausting week but in a good way! No way I could have done any of those climbs hung over......truth is, this is a vacation I will remember and cherish.

Good to have you back Jo
Arp-Always good to see you
Casey-You're a Mayfly indeed Congrats on 5 months!
LW-Thinking of you today as you enter treatment. Sending positive vibes and much love your way!
Old 08-14-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Good morning all! It's so great to be back catching up with you lovely people. Great weekend so far. Not done a lot. Don't need to I'm just taking it steady and pottering at home getting ready for my mum coming later today. Who knew you could feel grateful for being able to clean an oven hangover free?!!!!
Girls were at their dad's last night so I went to AA. On a Saturday night? That's a first for me. It was great and I saw an old friend there so doubly good. Enjoy the rest of your weekend all.
Sending thoughts to lovely LW.....a very brave step and I know we are all thinking of you.....
Take care all xxx
Old 08-14-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Absolutely thinking of our Dear Mayfly friend Wombat; that level of commitment toward change is awesome,,,just keep coming back, even if it's just here, to us, who love you and wish you the best...that's for realz! Get the best of what's offered, and please keep in touch...I personally miss your smartiness....
Old 08-15-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Prayers sent LW and thinking of you...very brave and inspiring
Old 08-15-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Hi guys! Good morning and Happy Monday.
Kind of went AWOL there for a few days. I found out Friday that I didn't get the job that I interviewed for. Yeah, way to ruin someone's weekend with a blanket email .... no reason, no answers. Just " we are not going to move forward with your employment". Must have been something the crazy quack I had to meet with determined I wasn't qualified. ( cuz he would know right?)
I received the email while headed up north Wisconsin to a Folk Festival which I was so excited to go to. Needless to say, I didn't let it totally ruin my weekend. I was surrounded by incredible musicians from all over, amazing people, and new friends I just met, so it was easy to put my troubles aside.
Now I am home.... alone and still feeling pretty bitter about the whole deal. I think what pisses me off the most is that I turned down two other potential job interviews/offers for this one, and they have since been filled. I am over the why I guess. They aren't going to tell me, so I just have to move on. I guess if they are going to take the word of some psychiatrist on reasons not to hire me, then maybe that isn't the place for me.
Long story short....... back to square one for me on the job front! Prior to my quit date, I would have gone straight to the liquor store and drank the whole weekend away in my sorrows, but instead I carried on with my plan and spent the weekend with some awesome folks--- no drama, no judgement, no shootings, no ill will against others, etc. I miss it already!
Just catching up on some of the posts today. Glad to see everyone!
Welcome back Jo!
Old 08-15-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Sorry to hear about the job, Camery, but good on you for continuing on the right path. Glad the folk festival was fun and I'm sure the right job will come along soon. Wishing you the best today!
Old 08-15-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Thanks Casey!
Yeah, just have to move on. Dwelling on it isn't going to help any, other then make me sad, angry and bitter, which isn't healthy.
Just another chapter in my book of life I guess.........................
I will just keep on keepin on!!!!
Old 08-15-2016, 10:59 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Hey Camery I'm gutted for you hun but it is a massive accomplishment to take a knock and move on as you have done. You should be very proud of yourself. Maybe that one wasn't meant to be.....you're in a good place to keep applying and who knows what will come up next?

Still doing pretty well here. My mum is visiting and if I want to go to AA on Wed evening I'll have to tell her I'm going (my parents don't know yet). I'm not particularly worried about it but it's praying on my mind a little I must admit. Oh well....I'll get it over with soon.

Take care all. Jo xxx
Old 08-15-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Thanks Jo! Appreciate the kind words. Nothing like getting a blind email on your way to an event you've never experienced before with people you don't really know. But, I decided.... I am no quitter. I have planned this trip for months and I wasn't going to let bad news ruin it. Thankfully, I was surrounded by good people, laughter, love, friendship and all that good stuff, so my mind didn't wander too far from that.
Today is another story..... but I am getting through it.