Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 7

Old 07-25-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flossyteacake View Post
Hey, all.

Quick check in before bed. I've had a busy day here. Bought new PJs (rock n roll, hey), bought a ceiling hook for my son's fake punch bag (he's 5. It's for taking his anger out on, rather than beating me up. I made it out of some fake leather and bean bag beans, as we didn't trust him with a real bag - scared he'd break a hand.), made dinner, knocked out a couple of reports for work ... that kinda stuff.

I have been spending time thinking about whether I spend too much time thinking about alcohol. Well, alcoholism, I suppose. 'Cause I'm a bit over-analytical that way. Is it okay to think about it all often? Am I just being vigilant and ensuring I'm working on recovery? Or is it concerning? Should I be thinking about alcohol less by this point? (Just to clarify, I'm not craving, just thinking about the nature of this beast.) Anyone have any thoughts?

Camery, glad you're feeling better.
Wow - good question - maybe Dee has some advice? I' really not sure
Old 07-25-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flossyteacake View Post
I have been spending time thinking about whether I spend too much time thinking about alcohol. Well, alcoholism, I suppose. 'Cause I'm a bit over-analytical that way. Is it okay to think about it all often? Am I just being vigilant and ensuring I'm working on recovery? Or is it concerning? Should I be thinking about alcohol less by this point? (Just to clarify, I'm not craving, just thinking about the nature of this beast.) Anyone have any thoughts?
I'm the same way I'm no expert but for what it's worth, I've chalked it up to my personality. I tend to analyze, over analyze.....it's just a part of who I am. I have a feeling my "over-thinking" it will change with time as I continue moving towards complete surrender that this is a "forever change" and as I gain more confidence in the fact that I can trust myself and I can do life sober.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Just got home from work! Now I get to clean 2 bathrooms (oh goody).....maybe go for a walk later? #MyCrazySoberLife
Old 07-26-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks, CG - I took your advice and posted in the newcomers forum. Seems it's a pretty common thing.
Simplicity - you sound like me. I'm looking forwards to feeling that I can trust myself again.

I've spent the evening looking into canoes and kayak options. Man, there are so many! You start off really enthusiastic and wanting to research, but by the end you want a choice of two and someone to tell you one is out of stock, just to make the decision easier.

I've also found a yoga class I want to go to, but it clashes with the SMART meeting I've been considering. I feel like I should want to go to the meeting, to have more tools in my toolbox. But I also feel like I'm doing well just with the support here and might prefer to add in an exercise component. The trouble is that the meeting is on a workday and a 30 minute drive away, so I'd not see the children on Thursdays ... (Excuse, I know.) And I'guess I'm nervous about what to expect from a meeting. And what I'd get out of it. This is my AV talking, isn't it. I know.

<Brief intermission follows. Entertain yourselves.>

Okay, I bit the bullet and emailed the convenor about the SMART meetings. Not sure what Mr Flossy is going to make of this new development.

Keep at it, everyone.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by CountryGal123 View Post
Wow - good question - maybe Dee has some advice? I' really not sure
I posted in the other thread
Hi Flossy

I thought about drinking all the time,. so for a while I thought about recovery all the time too.

Then I got better...

You will too. Try not to overthink things.

Generally we're all where we need to be
Old 07-26-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi all we're here and unpacked enjoying our first day. We have rented an apartment for our stay (much cheaper than a hotel). It's lovely but would you believe there is a stacked full drinks cabinet! Dozens of bottles of all sorts. I won't have any but wasn't pleased to see it all I must admit....take care all I'll check in from time to time while I'm here xxx
Old 07-26-2016, 10:05 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Hi all we're here and unpacked enjoying our first day. We have rented an apartment for our stay (much cheaper than a hotel). It's lovely but would you believe there is a stacked full drinks cabinet! Dozens of bottles of all sorts. I won't have any but wasn't pleased to see it all I must admit....take care all I'll check in from time to time while I'm here xxx
OH MY GOODNESS!!!

Well, enjoy your holiday fer shizzles, but cover up those darn bottles, if necessary, dump it, or ask if they can be removed or something if you're afraid of the temptation

Old 07-26-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

That is crazy that it has a stocked liquor cabinet. I might ask to have it removed-- they don't need to know why.
Enjoy your holiday Jo-- you deserve it!!!!

Hope all are doing well. I am doing good. Back on my cooking regime, and looking up different recipes to try. Hopefully this afternoon I will have my shopping done, and something good to eat for dinner. Haven't kept up much on my reading lately, so I think I will spend some time doing that.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thanks gals! I'll be okay it's not going to put me in a position to spoil my holiday. Just gave me a little shock that's all. Off out for an Italian meal in a bit. Take care guys!
Old 07-26-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Happy Tuesday all...things are going Ok for me. Not great but not terrible, so I'll take it.

Camery - Great news on the job front. Cooking sounds fun as well. Glad you are beating the heat and doing well!!

Flossy - Alcoholism is sneaky and I think you have to make the vigilance a part of your life, but probably different for each person. I know for me I plan on having a daily "maintenance program" that I practice to stay sober. Thankfully so far I haven't wanted to drink since I got sober, but it only takes one time to give in. Something I heard the other day was that "Every alcoholic bottom has a trap door." I don't want to find mine!!

Simplicity - Sounds like you are doing very well in sobriety. 90 days tomorrow??

CG - Great encouragement you give as always...hope you are hanging in there and you and the Mr are doing well!!

Jo - Way to stay strong and not get thrown off your positive attitude with the cabinent full of booze. Glad you're enjoying the vacation so far...Italian food sounds great
Old 07-26-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eagle108 View Post
Simplicity - Sounds like you are doing very well in sobriety. 90 days tomorrow??
Yeppers 90 Days tomorrow! I am doing well Don't get me wrong, things aren't perfect but my life is totally different today than it was 90 days ago when I had my last drink. In fact, I can't think of one area that hasn't improved! Got my energy back, far less marital discord, back on track with regular exercise, but my favorites are the mental clarity and the possibilities that the future holds. Life may not be perfect, but it is good....count me in! Much love & thanks to all of you for all the support along the way! 90 days would not be a reality if I had not found SR and all of you!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Happy Wednesday everyone!
Got some good news yesterday on the job front--- they are moving forward to the next phase in the interview process and I meet with the President and the Board of Directors on Friday at 11am. Nervous doesn't even touch the emotion I am feeling right now.......But I am thrilled at the opportunity and will knock em dead!
Hope everyone is doing well. I have started working on a shelving project to occupy my time for the next few days, and am excited to start working on that today. But, I cant use my power tools until at least 10, so a few hours to go!!
Have a great day everyone!
Camery
Old 07-27-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Simplicity4114 View Post
Yeppers 90 Days tomorrow! I am doing well Don't get me wrong, things aren't perfect but my life is totally different today than it was 90 days ago when I had my last drink. In fact, I can't think of one area that hasn't improved! Got my energy back, far less marital discord, back on track with regular exercise, but my favorites are the mental clarity and the possibilities that the future holds. Life may not be perfect, but it is good....count me in! Much love & thanks to all of you for all the support along the way! 90 days would not be a reality if I had not found SR and all of you!
Congrats Simplicity!! Great accomplishment and good entry point to begin the rest of your life SOBER

With any luck I'll be joining you in two days...fingers crossed.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Camery-That's awesome news! Go in there and shine! And of course be sure to keep us posted. I'm sure you'll do great!

Eagle-90 days on Friday....you got this! Love your commitment to your sobriety and how you choose to focus on the positives in life It's motivating!
Old 07-27-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hi LW! How have you been?
Old 07-27-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joandmelandhan View Post
Thanks gals! I'll be okay it's not going to put me in a position to spoil my holiday. Just gave me a little shock that's all. Off out for an Italian meal in a bit. Take care guys!
Enjoy your holiday!
We were up in Lowestoft only a year ago...cold, cold water!
Old 07-27-2016, 09:03 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Simplicity4114 View Post
Eagle-90 days on Friday....you got this! Love your commitment to your sobriety and how you choose to focus on the positives in life It's motivating!
Thanks Simplicity...likewise!!
Old 07-28-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Congratulations Simplicity for 90 days - a great accomplishment. There sure are benefits in not drinking.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootiesdad View Post
Enjoy your holiday!
We were up in Lowestoft only a year ago...cold, cold water!
Thanks tootiesdad! It's lovely here but I am certainly not going in the sea! Doing lots of walking (and eating too!). So pleased I'm here sober and making nice memories. Hope everyone is well xxx
Old 07-28-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on 90 days, Simplicity!