Notices

Class of May 2016 Support Thread Part 7

Old 09-18-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

You would do the same for us!!!! We are all in this together!

Sweet dreams my friend!
xoxo
Old 09-18-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Hey everyone-
Hope you are all doing well and had a good weekend. Got a lot of packing done, spent today taking it easy due to sore muscles.
Today it set in that I am moving. Boxes everywhere, kitchen packed etc. I think I have posted on here several times how unsupportive my family has been thru all of this, and again that is evident as my date moves closer. Not one person in my family has offered to come help, only when can they come over to look at my clothes, shoes and purses? ( I tend to hoard these things) Today I got a text from my oldest brother about something unrelated to moving and not once did he ask if I needed any help. The only advice I get from my mother is how to pack a box. ( Really? Cuz I don't know how?)
Sorry guys, I just needed to vent. I wasn't expecting anything I guess since I haven't gotten any support when I needed it when times were really bad, but whenever anyone else needs help, it seems like I am the first one asking what can I do? And then actually committing to it.
As far as my clothes shoes and women's clothing I am not taking, I donated it already to a women's shelter in Milwaukee. Those people can use it more then my family that work, have jobs, etc. And that made me feel good doing it!

Rant over. Thanks for listening!
Old 09-18-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

The advice on packing a box actually reminds me of my mom. Its not that she wouldn't help, it just wouldn't even occur to her to ask. I say if you need help, put it out there and ask...unless that would add to the stress of it all?
Old 09-18-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice. At this point I don't need help. It is pretty tight in here as it is, with boxes, etc. So one or two people in here would add to the chaos.
I guess maybe I was just having a moment...........
Old 09-18-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Yeah I have those moments a lot. Sometimes I don't even want help, or to talk on the phone with friends or family but them reaching out to me lets me know they care and sometimes, that's what I need, the knowing.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Morning, all!

Why does it seem that the weather always turns beautiful on a Monday and sucks over the weekend?! Yesterday was miserable - just lots of rain, which kinda put a dampner on the local Greek festival (although the souvlaki was just as nice!). Today it's a perfect spring day. Ah, well, good laundry drying weather at least. This is the last week of the school term here in NSW - hurray! I'm looking forwards to catching up on some stuff over the hols. No real plans for the day - Mr Floss is off out tonight to play snooker with another parent from Child 2's preschool. The other bloke is originallly from Iran and a die-hard snooker fan (?!). Apparently, he's always dreamed of visiting Sheffield (in the UK) as it's the home of the world championships. Mr Floss is most amused as he and I are originally from Sheffield and find it hard to think of it as a desireable tourist destination. I will be doing some work in bed while he's out - working from home occassionally has its benefits.

Jo - the anxiety will ease. How are you going to change your plan to try and prevent another relapse? How about adding in coming to SR before taking a drink and talking things through? It's only a small thing, but the benefit could be enourmous?
Camery - glad to hear that the packing is going well. We've moved house a lot over the past ten or so years (about 8 times, of which 4 were international moves), so I feel your pain. It'll be worth it!
Simplicity - glad that you made it through the weekend, especially the wedding. Hope you're feeling more on an even keel again?
Caramel, Eagle, Arp, Elke, CG, LW - glad to see you all around.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Almost game time! Excited to watch my first Packer season of football SOBER! Now, if I can only stay up for the whole game....................
Go Packers!
Have a great Sunday evening everybody!
Old 09-18-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Simplicity4114 View Post
The good news is it doesn't have to end that way. You get to write your own story. We can't stop the pain from entering our lives.....life is messy. But we do get to choose how we react to it, what we learn from it, and take away from it.
Since going sober I've had to learn how to feel again. It has been a real trust walk. All of what I was numbing away was still there waiting for me to process without alcohol. I had to learn to be still in the midst of the pain, of the fear, and of the sadness. But sobriety also brought true joy back into my life, laughter, and the ability to start "reasoning" again. I am far more emotionally stable as a whole. I feel like more of a complete person; more whole, more empowered, and more of a powerful force in my own life and I know it will only get better and better.....as long as I stay sober. I don't need to guess what my life would look like if I go back to drinking; I will moderate at first, avoid SR due to shame. My drinking will progress back to where it was and I will live from hang over to hang over. I've been there so many times, I have the bumper sticker, got the t-shirt. It's a real **** show, no thanks. The beauty of sobriety is that I have no clue where it will take me. I only know that I will be present enough to experience it, appreciate it, and grow from it.
Very well said Simplicity....mimics me, my feelings, and my story almost exactly.

Hang in there Jo...you are strong and you can do this. Key to AA is just keep going back and work the Program like your life depends on it. Don't let the relapses get in the way...if you keep going back it will eventually click. Just remember, You're worth it!!!
Old 09-18-2016, 11:06 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Morning guys I slept okay in the end which was a minor miracle! Just about to start my day soon. Up, shower, teeth, school run, work.....back to basics and stay sober as top priority xxx
Old 09-19-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Hi again just finished work and have to say I've never felt brain fog like it.....I'm like a zombie....but I'm sober and looking forward to another early night.
Look forward to catching up with your posts too.....Arp hope you're still with me!!!
Old 09-19-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Yes, I'm still here...not doing terribly well, but I'm here! Looking for inspiration to make a change; at least I have work today, thank goodness...
Old 09-19-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Work can be a good way of buying some sober hours Arp.....I was pleased to go today. But then when i get back and if I lived alone......omg I dread to think. I know you're not a huge fan of AA but maybe just once? Is it a possibility?
Old 09-19-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Glad to hear from you ARP! I agree-- work can be a distraction for drinking. Trust me, today I feel like I am coming "unglued". Very irritable, stomach pain from stress and anxiety, and all I wanna do is go to bed, which I cant. When I look around me, and the timeline I have...... ugh....
Good morning or evening Jo! Glad you had a sober day-- those early ones suck, but you did it!!!!

Hi to everyone else, and Happy Monday! Hope you are all doing well!
--Camery
Old 09-19-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Yes, a meeting did cross my mind, just something to break up the endless cycle. I mean, I don't *want* to hold hands with strangers and pray...but I can if I have to! It's definitely a possibility...
Old 09-19-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

You might find it a comfort Arp
I certainly find if I can go (even if I don't feel like it) it helps. And lol get hand holding! (that made me chuckle)
Old 09-19-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arpeggioh View Post
Yes, a meeting did cross my mind, just something to break up the endless cycle. I mean, I don't *want* to hold hands with strangers and pray...but I can if I have to! It's definitely a possibility...
Hang in there Arp!

I tried to stop drinking multiple times and either had one of two problems: 1) A drinking problem that did not rear its ugly head maybe but 2 times out of every 10, but was 2 times out of 10 too many or 2) A not drinking problem where I would quit for a month or two but be miserable and feel like I was in a self-imposed (or wife imposed) time-out.

After my situation, I came in to AA "broken" and willing to do whatever it took to be sober and also live a "happy" life in the process....could not imagine living life "happy" without alcohol. Nevermind that no one else seemed to think alcohol had a positive long-term influence on me (except my drinking buddies).

So far 142 days in to it, it has worked (been quite a while since I added up the days). Day by day it has worked...half the day is over so far, so you never know. AA is not for everyone but when you've tried everything else and nothing has worked as a permanent solution, even the hand holding is tolerable (briefly ).
Old 09-19-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eagle108 View Post
AA is not for everyone but when you've tried everything else and nothing has worked as a permanent solution, even the hand holding is tolerable (briefly ).
My excuses for avoiding AA are many...almost as numerous as my hangovers. However, I did have a counselor once who totally sucked the wind out my sails, when I complained that I always feel like I'm not doing it right, that I'm missing something; and added that "their" answer to that is some pithy slogan: "Fake it 'til you Make it!" I told him I hated slogans like that...he asked, "Would you prefer to hear that you might change your actions first, and your emotions might follow later?" (Crickets chirping)...Oh...well...when you put it *that* way...

Anyway, I don't wanna hijack my favorite thread for much longer, because it's not all about me (something I heard a few hundred times in AA meetings, ironically!) Your success is inspiring, Eagle; I've always taken the things you say very seriously; and when MY way is so obviously not working, I'd better be open to any and all suggestions. Love all you guys! Arp
Old 09-19-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  
Administrator

Positive action Arp

If you're feeling wobbly, post here for help,. or start a new thread in the main forum...follow through with going to that AA meeting - what can it hurt?

Check out other methods too.

Make a plan:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

The more you work against your addiction the better your chance of leaving it behind.

If you want change, make change

You don't seem like a guy who's afraid of hard work - so...roll your sleeves up and get to it
Old 09-19-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Happy Monday Mayflies! Finally starting to feel myself again! The best I can figure is.....experiencing a difficult anniversary sober (for the first time) + being out of my normal routine/element + being surrounded copious amounts of drinking for a week straight (all happening at the same time)=emotional instability=AV trigger. No good. Lots of lessons learned and so happy to not just be white knuckling it at the moment! Also super grateful I didn't cave.

Jo-Stick with us! Proud of you for toughing it out!

Arp-Glad you're back and posting! I've missed you! You bring something special to the thread....its just not the same without you! One minute at a time, one hour at a time, one day at a time.....whatever it takes.
Old 09-19-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, just checking in, not much to say at the moment but love reading your posts

Jo and Arp, I'm thinking of you and hope you can find the strength within you not to drink. One minute, one hour, one day at a time.

We can all hold hands with you, virtually, around the world, to give us all the strength we need. My arms are stretched out to reach you.....